UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pinkzeppelin

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby pinkzeppelin » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:02 am

I noticed today that UVA practiced massive YP last year, a little bit in 08/09 and hardly any before 08. Any ideas on what changed?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:08 am

pinkzeppelin wrote:I noticed today that UVA practiced massive YP last year, a little bit in 08/09 and hardly any before 08. Any ideas on what changed?

My best guess is a change in the way that they handle ED applications. I don't know when they adopted their current ED policy, but it is pretty unique amongst the T14.

silly101

Postby silly101 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:27 am

bdubs wrote:
pinkzeppelin wrote:I noticed today that UVA practiced massive YP last year, a little bit in 08/09 and hardly any before 08. Any ideas on what changed?

My best guess is a change in the way that they handle ED applications. I don't know when they adopted their current ED policy, but it is pretty unique amongst the T14.

how is it unique?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:30 am

silly101 wrote:
bdubs wrote:

how is it unique?

No deadline.

tommynobody

Postby tommynobody » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:06 am

bdubs wrote:

They started it just last year. During last year's cycle, they still showed an ED deadline on the website of Nov 15 but decided to continue accepting ED apps after that date passed.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:03 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
silly101 wrote:
bdubs wrote:

how is it unique?

No deadline.

Right. Except it's not unique anymore. GULC has started doing the same thing.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:09 pm

silly101 wrote:
bdubs wrote:

how is it unique?

I was just referring to the fact that they seem to have very explicit targets and use ED to fill ~20% of their class. As far as I can tell, no other school is using ED as aggressively as Virginia (i.e. lowering RD standards substantially).

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:25 am

Anyone know if status date changes on the UVA tracker mean anything substantial? I went complete 11/12 and it just updated to 11/29. Should I expect a decision soon because of that or should I just ignore it and go back to my sacrifices to the admissions gods?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:10 am

FlamingCow wrote:Anyone know if status date changes on the UVA tracker mean anything substantial? I went complete 11/12 and it just updated to 11/29. Should I expect a decision soon because of that or should I just ignore it and go back to my sacrifices to the admissions gods?

In state or out of state?

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 am

bdubs wrote:
FlamingCow wrote:Anyone know if status date changes on the UVA tracker mean anything substantial? I went complete 11/12 and it just updated to 11/29. Should I expect a decision soon because of that or should I just ignore it and go back to my sacrifices to the admissions gods?

Out of state.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:13 am

bdubs wrote:

+1, if you're in-state you can probably expect a decision soon. If you're OOS (like me)... well, here's to hearing in late January.

However, NEVER stop your sacrifices to the admissions gods, even after decisions have been rendered :wink:

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:13 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
bdubs wrote:

+1, if you're in-state you can probably expect a decision soon. If you're OOS (like me)... well, here's to hearing in late January.

However, NEVER stop your sacrifices to the admissions gods, even after decisions have been rendered :wink:

LOL, they might just rescind your acceptance.

FlamingCow: I don't think it means anything, several posters have noted an updated status date with no word from admissions.
Last edited by bdubs on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:16 am

bdubs wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Ok, I'll keep the candles burning and present the gods with the finest meats and cheeses.

So, consensus is that date changes don't mean a whole lot?

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:18 am

bdubs wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Well, I think they may be merciful enough not to, but in either case you have to start your endless sacrifices to the scholarship committee gods.

Also, yeah I think that's the consensus. Mine changed from 11/08 to 11/23, and I don't expect to hear back anytime soon.

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:24 am

T6Hopeful wrote:Also, yeah I think that's the consensus. Mine changed from 11/08 to 11/23, and I don't expect to hear back anytime soon.

Damn. Back to waiting, then. Thanks.

eliekedourie

Postby eliekedourie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Updated from 11/7 to 11/29. Hoping against hope...

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:16 pm

I'm sorry I'm a little confused here, but what does it mean if your current status date changes,but your status is the same? If your status date hasn't changed for a while, is that problematic? My status still says file complete, pending review, and the current status date remains unchanged from 10/18 when I went complete.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:21 pm

TLSNYC wrote:I'm sorry I'm a little confused here, but what does it mean if your current status date changes,but your status is the same? If your status date hasn't changed for a while, is that problematic? My status still says file complete, pending review, and the current status date remains unchanged from 10/18 when I went complete.

For UVA I don't think either really means anything's wrong, unless you're in-state or an early decision applicant (in which case you probably should have had SOMETHING happen by now). For other schools I can't say the same.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:25 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:I'm sorry I'm a little confused here, but what does it mean if your current status date changes,but your status is the same? If your status date hasn't changed for a while, is that problematic? My status still says file complete, pending review, and the current status date remains unchanged from 10/18 when I went complete.

For UVA I don't think either really means anything's wrong, unless you're in-state or an early decision applicant (in which case you probably should have had SOMETHING happen by now). For other schools I can't say the same.

Ahh..okay! Thanks!

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:19 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:

Ahh..okay! Thanks!

However, I'm OOS and mine said file complete, pending review on 11/16 last I believe and today it updated to 11/29 so take that for what it's worth. Could be a...nah I won't even let those negative emotions out.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:48 pm

Ugh I hate this wait. I am out of state and RD, but my status checker is stuck at 11/4. I wish Virginia at least entertained me with status updates like Georgetown.

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:50 pm

Went complete 10/14, updated to 10/25....nothing since....pleassssse don't waitlist me again :cry:

But don't ding me either.... :lol:

MillerTime

Postby MillerTime » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:29 pm

I've been complete and pending review since 9/27... And now I'm thinking about sending in an ED form. Will this help me at all? I have a 3.4, 169 and I'm out of state. It's definitely a reach for me and I'm wondering if sending in an ED form will benefit me at all.. or if it will just speed up my rejection letter haha. Thoughts?

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:33 pm

evandm wrote:I've been complete and pending review since 9/27... And now I'm thinking about sending in an ED form. Will this help me at all? I have a 3.4, 169 and I'm out of state. It's definitely a reach for me and I'm wondering if sending in an ED form will benefit me at all.. or if it will just speed up my rejection letter haha. Thoughts?

I hate to say it, but probably the latter. However, I doubt you'll fare any better RD so I don't think switching to ED could really hurt you :D

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:41 pm

evandm wrote:I've been complete and pending review since 9/27... And now I'm thinking about sending in an ED form. Will this help me at all? I have a 3.4, 169 and I'm out of state. It's definitely a reach for me and I'm wondering if sending in an ED form will benefit me at all.. or if it will just speed up my rejection letter haha. Thoughts?

Would you willing to go to UVA no matter what, over any other school? Would you not care if you received no money? If you can say yes to both of these, then ED. I can't really see it hurting your chances, but being below both medians means it will be pretty hard. However, you won't be in limbo for as long.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”