UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
damage-inc

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby damage-inc » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:33 pm

I still cant determine why my file has been sitting complete since early december. Dont know if I've been put aside for an inevitable rejection, but I've been WL'd at penn and chicago so I would atleast expect the same from UVA

numbers are 167/3.9 btw

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:37 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
chasgoose wrote:UVA is weird. I went from relatively quick UR updates 1/12-1/21-2/6 to nothing. I understand that a lot of people have been at one date forever, but I expected something by now considering that it seems as though multiple people have read my app. Each waitlist/ding wave comes and I am spared so I am not complaining, it just seems weird. It seems for other schools when you have that many UR updates some decision happens...

If I were to guess, I'd say they are trying to decide whether to waitlist you for YP or offer you big $$$$$ and they just can't figure out which. if you haven't already, i'd send a LOCI ASAP

I thought about that, but I have nothing really exciting to update them with. I guess I could do a "Why UVA" LOCI...

LPSDBX

Postby LPSDBX » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Is there a status update after "Application Complete, Pending Review/Decision"? Like, does it let you know when you are actually under review, in the process of being considered? Or does it go straight from that to "Decision"?

Thanks!

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:42 pm

LPSDBX wrote:Is there a status update after "Application Complete, Pending Review/Decision"? Like, does it let you know when you are actually under review, in the process of being considered? Or does it go straight from that to "Decision"?

Thanks!

Well there can be date updates, but the status will remain the same: --LinkRemoved--

LPSDBX

Postby LPSDBX » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:50 pm

chasgoose wrote:
LPSDBX wrote:Is there a status update after "Application Complete, Pending Review/Decision"? Like, does it let you know when you are actually under review, in the process of being considered? Or does it go straight from that to "Decision"?

Thanks!

Well there can be date updates, but the status will remain the same: --LinkRemoved--

Nice video. What exactly does that have to do with anything?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:53 pm

chasgoose wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
chasgoose wrote:UVA is weird. I went from relatively quick UR updates 1/12-1/21-2/6 to nothing. I understand that a lot of people have been at one date forever, but I expected something by now considering that it seems as though multiple people have read my app. Each waitlist/ding wave comes and I am spared so I am not complaining, it just seems weird. It seems for other schools when you have that many UR updates some decision happens...

If I were to guess, I'd say they are trying to decide whether to waitlist you for YP or offer you big $$$$$ and they just can't figure out which. if you haven't already, i'd send a LOCI ASAP

I thought about that, but I have nothing really exciting to update them with. I guess I could do a "Why UVA" LOCI...

do it. NOW.

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks!

It goes straight to decision, at least in my case.

fish52

Postby fish52 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:00 pm

Waitlisted- might be time to withdraw! Funny that I was admitted to my reaches, but waitlisted at my safety.

Good luck to those still waiting!

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:01 pm

chasgoose wrote:I thought about that, but I have nothing really exciting to update them with. I guess I could do a "Why UVA" LOCI...

Careful. I did that and got waitlisted 2 hours later. :lol:

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:02 pm

WL here too.

fish52

Postby fish52 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:05 pm

Entchen wrote:WL here too.

haha the Darrow at Michigan, but WL at UVA. Can anyone say yield protection??

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:06 pm

ma456 wrote:So I got an email asking me to call, I tried to call a bunch of times but got voicemail. Left messages with when would be good to call back. Never got called back and got the WL email this morning! This isn't typical right? It's okay because I was planning on withdrawing anyway, but still. Getting that email asking me to call is supposed to mean I got in, right? Not like I didn't TRY to contact Jason.

:shock:

this makes me feel like less of a noob from back in Dec when I was all "I got the email to call, that means I'm in right???" lol.

Sorry to hear about the WL. Good luck!

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:07 pm

wow looks like I'm headed to an inevitable wait list... patiently waiting 11/18 :?

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:08 pm

fish52 wrote:
Entchen wrote:WL here too.

haha the Darrow at Michigan, but WL at UVA. Can anyone say yield protection??

Meh, for my numbers and living OOS, I was pretty much expecting it.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:09 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:
chasgoose wrote:I thought about that, but I have nothing really exciting to update them with. I guess I could do a "Why UVA" LOCI...

Careful. I did that and got waitlisted 2 hours later. :lol:

I don't think it matters much any more. I did about as much as I could to get into UVA, including writing a very focused LOCI and visiting the school. Jason said that this late in the season they don't have many spots open.

My guess is they are focused only on either above both median candidates with a high yield potential, in staters, and URMs. Those seem to be the only people getting in at this point.

kelc213

Postby kelc213 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:21 pm

This might be a really foolish question but is there any publication about how many students and percentages of each incoming class are filed with ED candidates?

I know that we can figure out a good bunch of them from TLS and LSN but I'm saying, does UVA report this?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:25 pm

kelc213 wrote:This might be a really foolish question but is there any publication about how many students and percentages of each incoming class are filed with ED candidates?

I know that we can figure out a good bunch of them from TLS and LSN but I'm saying, does UVA report this?

UVA admissions FAQ wrote:What percentage of the enrolled class matriculated via the Binding Early Decision Program?
We do not have a set number of spots for the Binding Early Decision Program. However, in the most recent class, 20 percent of the enrolled students were admitted through the program.

http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospectives/faqs.htm

canes

Postby canes » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:28 pm

Waitlisted.. wasn't really considering them at this point, but congrats to all the new admits!

I literally got in my car, drove half-way to the post office with my sealed UVA ED contract in hand, got cold feet and turned around... Best decision I (n)ever made.

moneko

Postby moneko » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:29 pm

Last edited by moneko on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:31 pm

canes wrote:Waitlisted.. wasn't really considering them at this point, but congrats to all the new admits!

I literally got in my car, drove half-way to the post office with my sealed UVA ED contract in hand, got cold feet and turned around... Best decision I (n)ever made.

good call, considering you're (kinda i guess) a URM. congrats on chi!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:37 pm

moneko wrote:add me to the WLers
173+, 3.9+
*shrug*

i do heavily dislike yp though. i hear if we withdraw that ups their selectivity ranking? does anyone know more about this?

No, the fact that you applied and they didn't offer you admission ups their selectivity rating.

kelc213

Postby kelc213 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:55 pm

bdubs wrote:
173+, 3.9+
*shrug*

i do heavily dislike yp though. i hear if we withdraw that ups their selectivity ranking? does anyone know more about this?

No, the fact that you applied and they didn't offer you admission ups their selectivity rating.

This. You're not busting their chops if you stay on the waitlist vs. take yourself off it.

The blatant YP makes me giggle because when I visited UVA I flat-out asked a certain admissions director, "do you yield protect?" and he said, "can you explain that?" [i know, right?] and then after I explained it to him and he said, "no, we don't."

er?

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Waitlisted today via email. Above both medians, October applicant.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:19 pm

kelc213 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
173+, 3.9+
*shrug*

This. You're not busting their chops if you stay on the waitlist vs. take yourself off it.

The blatant YP makes me giggle because when I visited UVA I flat-out asked a certain admissions director, "do you yield protect?" and he said, "can you explain that?" [i know, right?] and then after I explained it to him and he said, "no, we don't."

er?

Last edited by sarahlawg on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Knock wrote:Waitlisted today via email. Above both medians, October applicant.

sorry to hear! I know you have some really awesome options though. Planning on waiting it out?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”