UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
c_dubya_s

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby c_dubya_s » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:58 pm

FutureInLaw wrote:UR 1/18 --> 2/8 --> 2/15

Are 3 dates typical? When do decisions usually come? (Feel like I'm being fast-tracked for rejection!)

There's no consistent way of predicting what UVA's dates mean. Tons of us have been sitting for ages, and then every now and then somebody will get a decision.

novab

Postby novab » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:57 pm

UR - 1/24 -> 2/14

Wish we all knew what the date changes meant :) (if anything)

Kswizzie

Postby Kswizzie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:04 pm

Status Checker still at 11/7...no decision yet... thoughts?

WarioLaw

Postby WarioLaw » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:40 pm

Maybe I just have not experienced it with other schools, even those ranked significantly lower. I don't think my app is so strong as to merit YP from a top 10, but I will take your word for it since it enables me to still feel good about my app.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:09 am

Waitlisted on 2/9, forgot to post.

169/176, 3.66.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:18 am

Kswizzie wrote:Status Checker still at 11/7...no decision yet... thoughts?

I'm at 11/9. I think for some reason they just haven't included my app in the WL waves so far and will do so eventually. :|

lakerfanimal

Postby lakerfanimal » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:22 am

Wait-listed yesterday and withdrew today. Although they might yield protect, I do give the admissions team props for being so just plain old nice. I tried to send a nice withdrawal response letter, and they responded in kind by wishing me luck in my future endeavors. I thought that was classy. So to everyone staying on and/or attending, it's awesome that you're going to a school that cares so much about the students as people :)

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:20 am

I was waitlisted a while back in what I think was somewhat of a YP but mainly b/c I am OOS, no Why UVA, etc. I have a 3.88 and 170 (multiple) and have "outperformed" my numbers, so I think the rest of my app is strong. I am not too worried about it, because I have been accepted to other schools I prefer to UVa and would attend them barring major scholarship descrepancies (want to do government work).

So my question is: does UVa ever offer scholarships to waitlisted people?

I know schools typically don't, but given UVa's desire for strong "Why UVa" essays, ED if OOS, etc, I thought they might if you right a solid LOCI. I am trying to decide if I should write one or just withdraw.

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:54 am

Just withdrew. Good luck to all of you!

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:52 pm

tipler4213 wrote:So my question is: does UVa ever offer scholarships to waitlisted people?

I know schools typically don't, but given UVa's desire for strong "Why UVa" essays, ED if OOS, etc, I thought they might if you right a solid LOCI. I am trying to decide if I should write one or just withdraw.

I am extremely curious about this, too. I liked the idea of UVA, but even if I convinced them to admit me, I don't think I would go at sticker. If I got a pretty good scholarship, it would be very high on my list.

albanach

Postby albanach » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:28 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:They're not doing interesting things with their waitlist; they are doing predictable things. They use the yield protect waitlist all the time. They want you to prove you're interested. The reason you were waitlisted was that your numbers were good, you had a good record, and you'd likely been accepted somewhere higher ranked- like you said. That's why it's important to do ED or a good LOCI/Why UVA for them.

You could be right. Certainly some of these decisions point in that direction.

However, folk with those numbers were admitted earlier, so I think things have changed as the cycle progressed. It could be that they took their share of high lsat/low gpa splitters early on, and that they cannot now afford to accept anyone with a below median GPA.

It could also be that out of state is simply so competitive for so few spots that they can simply afford to only accept people above both medians.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:37 pm

albanach wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:They're not doing interesting things with their waitlist; they are doing predictable things. They use the yield protect waitlist all the time. They want you to prove you're interested. The reason you were waitlisted was that your numbers were good, you had a good record, and you'd likely been accepted somewhere higher ranked- like you said. That's why it's important to do ED or a good LOCI/Why UVA for them.

However, folk with those numbers were admitted earlier, so I think things have changed as the cycle progressed. It could be that they took their share of high lsat/low gpa splitters early on, and that they cannot now afford to accept anyone with a below median GPA.

It could also be that out of state is simply so competitive for so few spots that they can simply afford to only accept people above both medians.

I had neither a good UVa or a good LOCI. I really feel like I got in because I am one of the first early applicants to inquire and express continued interest. Maybe the timing made the LOCI good?

neonx

Postby neonx » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:55 pm

I can say with almost full certainty my Why Virginia/LOCI got me in. The timing otherwise would've been too coincidental (like 2 days) -- after waiting for months.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:14 am

albanach wrote:

I can attest that this does not entirely hold true. And I sent in a LOCI, too.

ETA: Granted, I am at their median LSAT, but I am above their 75th GPA.

seanjohn0724

Postby seanjohn0724 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:43 am

albanach wrote:

I don't know how true this might be. I got accepted after a late application with mediocre scores. And I'm out of state.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:51 am

seanjohn0724 wrote:
albanach wrote:

I don't know how true this might be. I got accepted after a late application with mediocre scores. And I'm out of state.

170 isn't mediocre, dude

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:52 am

Flips88 wrote: 170 isn't mediocre, dude

TBF, it's the median.

seanjohn0724

Postby seanjohn0724 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:20 am

Flips88 wrote:
seanjohn0724 wrote:
albanach wrote:

170 isn't mediocre, dude

It's not bad, but not high enough to consider myself a splitter, even with a low gpa.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:25 am

seanjohn0724 wrote:It's not bad, but not high enough to consider myself a splitter, even with a low gpa.

Was there anything else about your application to explain the acceptance in light of other people's denials? Non-traditional applicant with lots of work experience? Nobel Laureate? URM?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 am

albanach wrote:
seanjohn0724 wrote:It's not bad, but not high enough to consider myself a splitter, even with a low gpa.

Was there anything else about your application to explain the acceptance in light of other people's denials? Non-traditional applicant with lots of work experience? Nobel Laureate? URM?

i have a guess

arism87

Postby arism87 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:32 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
albanach wrote:

i have a guess

I think he said in a previous post that he's URM

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:34 am

arism87 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
albanach wrote:

i have a guess

sooo in other words nothing he is saying about his numbers is relevant to the argument at hand

seanjohn0724

Postby seanjohn0724 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:45 am

arism87 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
albanach wrote:

i have a guess

Correct. Besides that, my softs were pretty average for a t-14.

Edit: I did submit extra info on my low GPA since it was brought down by only one year.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:10 am

but you got in because you're a URM, so your contribution to the argument at hand does not stand on its own.

not trying to be rude, it's just true

seanjohn0724

Postby seanjohn0724 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:16 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:but you got in because you're a URM, so your contribution to the argument at hand does not stand on its own.

not trying to be rude, it's just true

Haha, I don't think it's rude. We wouldn't have terms like "URM" unless they were relevant. But plenty of URMs have gotten denied or WL with similar stats, so I'm not sure if that played too much of a factor.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”