UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
spacepenguin

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby spacepenguin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:11 am

sarahlawg wrote:
neonx wrote:
melamine wrote:whats the general timeline from first going Under Review/Pending Decision? is there another thing after this?

That's the last stage before you should get a call or an e-mail.

saying it's the 'last stage' is a bit misleading - people can hang out at this stage for months before an actual decision.

Ok, it's the last stage much like living is the last stage before dying.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:13 am

sarahlawg wrote:
neonx wrote:
melamine wrote:whats the general timeline from first going Under Review/Pending Decision? is there another thing after this?

saying it's the 'last stage' is a bit misleading - people can hang out at this stage for months before an actual decision.

some move fast though I applied 1/14 and was accepted today I was only pending decision for about 10 days.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:19 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
neonx wrote:

some move fast though I applied 1/14 and was accepted today I was only pending decision for about 10 days.

yeah, mine was something like 2 weeks back in the fall. That's why I said 'can'. I actually didn't have any movement, either, iirc. only the complete date and the decision date.

btw: congrats! your cycle is moving nicely.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 am

sarahlawg wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:
neonx wrote:

yeah, mine was something like 2 weeks back in the fall. That's why I said 'can'. I actually didn't have any movement, either, iirc. only the complete date and the decision date.

btw: congrats! your cycle is moving nicely.

Thanks I was deployed so my cycle started late but now it's moving along good. I was worried for a while, TLS had me thinking I had applied too late and wasn't getting in anywhere.

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:57 am

neonx wrote:I just got back from Happy Hour and read these last few posts. I'd be happy to release more information about myself and my application once I'm done with my cycle (I've kept a pretty extensive day-to-day log of everything that's happened in this cycle from all the way back to when I started prepping for the LSAT; I'll gladly unlock the address in April or May of this year.) Besides, I've already talked to many of you in this thread in PM.

(ETA: There have been many more interesting scenarios with other applicants, too -- e.g. if you check the Stanford and Yale threads.)

It is somewhat plausible that you got into all those schools being a non-urm with a ~167 LSAT. What I find impossible to believe is the scholarship awards that you are claiming. If you had the most heart wrenching personal statement ever AND the most amazing work experience ever and were LGBT with a congressional medal of honor, those schools would accept you sure...but they ALL wouldn't be throwing all that money your way with a 167. period. it doesn't happen.

That, combined with your out of the blue, where the hell did this guy come from, trolling on this thread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=137991 , leads me to believe that you're not legit.

whatev...like r6philly said, it doesn't matter. if you end up proving me wrong in "april or may", i'll change my 'tar to the douche guy from the ATL douchiest law school contest, for a week. http://abovethelaw.com/douchiest-law-school-contest/

markdyoung

Postby markdyoung » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:13 am

Alright, I'm in need of some guidance here. Would someone who got accepted please tell me what the magic password is. I've been under review since 9/22 and haven't heard a peep since. I submitted a LOCI/Why UVA in mid-January. Still nothing. Short of calling them up and asking, "WTF are you doing with my app?" I'm at a bit of a loss here. Any advice other than just keep waiting?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:31 am

markdyoung wrote:Alright, I'm in need of some guidance here. Would someone who got accepted please tell me what the magic password is. I've been under review since 9/22 and haven't heard a peep since. I submitted a LOCI/Why UVA in mid-January. Still nothing. Short of calling them up and asking, "WTF are you doing with my app?" I'm at a bit of a loss here. Any advice other than just keep waiting?

I would call them. Asking for a status check after 4 1/2 months is not out of line. Although if I was you I would use a little more tact than "WTF are you doing with my app?"

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:29 am

markdyoung wrote:Alright, I'm in need of some guidance here. Would someone who got accepted please tell me what the magic password is. I've been under review since 9/22 and haven't heard a peep since. I submitted a LOCI/Why UVA in mid-January. Still nothing. Short of calling them up and asking, "WTF are you doing with my app?" I'm at a bit of a loss here. Any advice other than just keep waiting?

Is it feasible to do a campus visit? That shows a lot of interest and I've heard they like it.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:06 am

markdyoung wrote: Would someone who got accepted please tell me what the magic password is.

FTR, the magic password is "ED."

bmore

Postby bmore » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:11 am

Under review since 10/12. Visited. LOCI. Above 75th percent. I guess it is not meant to be.

WarioLaw

Postby WarioLaw » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:22 am

WL today by status checker. I am a bit surprised, but not really that broken up about it. I just hope it's not a sign of things to come with my other pending apps.

markdyoung

Postby markdyoung » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:40 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:

I would call them. Asking for a status check after 4 1/2 months is not out of line. Although if I was you I would use a little more tact than "WTF are you doing with my app?"

Yeah, I'll lose the "F." Maybe change it to an "H" haha. Tact...I can do tact.

markdyoung

Postby markdyoung » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:43 am

eskimo wrote:

Is it feasible to do a campus visit? That shows a lot of interest and I've heard they like it.

Oh, I'm doing volunteer work in China right now. Sorry for not mentioning that before, haha. Thanks for the quick reply, though. Any advice is welcome.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:46 am

markdyoung wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:

Yeah, I'll lose the "F." Maybe change it to an "H" haha. Tact...I can do tact.

yeah, that is kinda BS. honestly, if the #s in your profile are accurate and you sent additional info in January, I would have expected you to get in (with $$) by now, or waitlisted. i'd call 'em up....though don't be surprised if you get some sort of generic answer from a lowly office worker
Last edited by paulinaporizkova on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:46 am

lzyovrachievr wrote:
markdyoung wrote: Would someone who got accepted please tell me what the magic password is.

If you have the numbers "LOCI".

markdyoung

Postby markdyoung » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:47 am

lzyovrachievr wrote:

I'm starting to believe this. The aggravating thing about it is that I really do want to go to UVA. No joking, no using them as leverage, no just wanting an acceptance because I feel needed. I actually, truly want to go to school there. I just have a fear of commitment, haha.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:48 am

markdyoung wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:

I'm starting to believe this. The aggravating thing about it is that I really do want to go to UVA. No joking, no using them as leverage, no just wanting an acceptance because I feel needed. I actually, truly want to go to school there. I just have a fear of commitment, haha.

if you really want to go there, you should ED and you'd get in almost certainly with money

markdyoung

Postby markdyoung » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:50 am

r6_philly wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:

My numbers are accurate. But, I sent an additional essay in January that covers anything cool I've done since applying, so would sending another now be appropriate? I don't want to just keep piling on, or is that what they're looking for?

markdyoung

Postby markdyoung » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:55 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
markdyoung wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:

if you really want to go there, you should ED and you'd get in almost certainly with money

I can't get past my fear of commitment to schools. It's a moral issue, I think.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:57 am

markdyoung wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:

My numbers are accurate. But, I sent an additional essay in January that covers anything cool I've done since applying, so would sending another now be appropriate? I don't want to just keep piling on, or is that what they're looking for?

Maybe you need some sort of connection to the area/school to convince them that you would be coming? I don't know how much $$$ offers they make, but if a person is unlikely to receive the $$$ offer, they would be better offering it to someone else. I don't know what you wrote, but maybe you should focus on how/why you would attend other than how good you are. You are obviously qualified, the better you are, the less likely you would attend ;)

That's why ED works so well.

markdyoung

Postby markdyoung » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:03 am

r6_philly wrote:
markdyoung wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote: Would someone who got accepted please tell me what the magic password is.

Maybe you need some sort of connection to the area/school to convince them that you would be coming? I don't know how much $$$ offers they make, but if a person is unlikely to receive the $$$ offer, they would be better offering it to someone else. I don't know what you wrote, but maybe you should focus on how/why you would attend other than how good you are. You are obviously qualified, the better you are, the less likely you would attend ;)

That's a good call, R6. You seem to always seem to give solid advice on this thing. The letter I sent talked about curricular programs I was interested in, and also named a couple of professors who had written interesting paper related to that. I read the papers (mostly) online so that I actually somewhat knew what I was talking about. What you said about connection to the area makes sense, but the only connection is that I drove through there one time when I was a freshman in college. Any knowledge on how to create a connection. Again, thanks everyone for the advice. Sorry about the ignorance on these type things.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:10 am

markdyoung wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
markdyoung wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

That's a good call, R6. You seem to always seem to give solid advice on this thing. The letter I sent talked about curricular programs I was interested in, and also named a couple of professors who had written interesting paper related to that. I read the papers (mostly) online so that I actually somewhat knew what I was talking about. What you said about connection to the area makes sense, but the only connection is that I drove through there one time when I was a freshman in college. Any knowledge on how to create a connection. Again, thanks everyone for the advice. Sorry about the ignorance on these type things.

Maybe talk about a geographic area of the US in which you want to practice? I'm from the mid-Atlantic, and I talked about how I wanted to have the opportunity to practice in the DC area upon graduation. It's something I'm going to re-emphasize in my LOCI, because geography is becoming a not-too-insignificant part of my law school decision process.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:51 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
markdyoung wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:

Well, first off, the best way to get into UVA is most certainly ED. However, I wouldn't advocate it, since it's also ridiculously unlikely that you'll get money after you do that. (They already know you're going.) So if you have the numbers, R6 is right with a convincing 'LOCI.' But still you might get the WL.

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:38 pm

well-hello-there wrote:... those schools would accept you sure...but they ALL wouldn't be throwing all that money your way with a 167. period. it doesn't happen.

This is a guess. It may be a roughly educated guess rather than a purely wild one, since it's likely based on anecdotes and the self-selected (and therefore probably not broadly representative) data from LSN/TLS, but it's a guess all the same.

And you're also exaggerating the scenario: they're not "all" throwing "all that money." If you're looking at the same profile I'm looking at, I believe there's only one school in the T14 that's offering (so far) very large sums of money, and that's Virginia; and even there, the sum (90k), divided over three years, is certainly substantial but not a full-ride.

I'll say it again: it looks to be a very good cycle, better than the numbers alone would predict, which suggests an unusually strong application apart from those numbers, but nothing shocking or crazy or outlandish or downright unbelievable.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:56 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

Well, first off, the best way to get into UVA is most certainly ED. However, I wouldn't advocate it, since it's also ridiculously unlikely that you'll get money after you do that. (They already know you're going.) So if you have the numbers, R6 is right with a convincing 'LOCI.' But still you might get the WL.

i disagree. i've seen people on LSN with mark's #s who have ED'd and gotten money. UVA isn't dumb - they don't want to "trick" or "trap" people with really high numbers who could have gotten into HYS into attending without any aid just because they theoretically can with an ED. also, mark already sent a LOCI about a month ago, and i think he's looking for further advice.

(sorry to use your name OP, but it's your username so i thought it would be easiest)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”