UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:56 pm

eskimo wrote:
dbrddr wrote:I sent my LOCI in the body of an e-mail. Oops? No address blocks or anything.

I did the same.

1 paragraph I wrote.

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:1 paragraph I wrote.

Weren't you admitted very soon after sending it, r6? I wanted to send just a paragraph saying that I remain very interested and I am looking forward to hearing from them. I just didn't know if I had to write a full page telling them exact reasons why or if just a paragraph is enough to show them I am interested.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:20 am

Just submitted a "Why Virginia?" essay. So I should expect my acceptance in a few days right?! :D

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:36 am

Wait...so you guys are sending in LOCI's to schools that you are still in review at or were you already WL'ed? If the former, is this just a UVa thing or is it normal to do that for other schools as well? Thank you!

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:05 pm

ash8309 wrote:Wait...so you guys are sending in LOCI's to schools that you are still in review at or were you already WL'ed? If the former, is this just a UVa thing or is it normal to do that for other schools as well? Thank you!

it's mostly just a UVA thing, for YP purposes. so people who have high end numbers send additional information so UVA knows they are serious about going there and didn't just apply because it was another t10 school. UVA and other schools ranked right around it like to waitlist people they don't think are serious about attending (people with numbers that could warrant an acceptance to a t6 school, for example)

edit: this really only works if you have a 170/3.9 or higher (on both sides) stats.

neonx

Postby neonx » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:09 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
ash8309 wrote:Wait...so you guys are sending in LOCI's to schools that you are still in review at or were you already WL'ed? If the former, is this just a UVa thing or is it normal to do that for other schools as well? Thank you!

it's mostly just a UVA thing, for YP purposes. so people who have high end numbers send additional information so UVA knows they are serious about going there and didn't just apply because it was another t10 school. UVA and other schools ranked right around it like to waitlist people they don't think are serious about attending (people with numbers that could warrant an acceptance to a t6 school, for example)

edit: this really only works if you have a 170/3.9 or higher (on both sides) stats.

Even if you have stats below median, it helps.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:11 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:

FWIW: I don't have UVA YP numbers (I'm a bit below both medians in fact), but I submitted a Why UVA this morning just to add some relevant information to my file about (duh) why I like UVA that they would not otherwise have had. It wasn't going to hurt me, could be neutral, could help. So no downside.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:16 pm

neonx wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

i don't know about this. i have yet to hear of someone (non-URM of course) with both stats below UVA's medians who got in. UVA is a median whore

edit: i didn't read this well enough. if you have one stat below median, it might help. both stats, i'd go with no
Last edited by paulinaporizkova on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:17 pm

sanguar wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

FWIW: I don't have UVA YP numbers (I'm a bit below both medians in fact), but I submitted a Why UVA this morning just to add some relevant information to my file about (duh) why I like UVA that they would not otherwise have had. It wasn't going to hurt me, could be neutral, could help. So no downside.

i wouldn't count on an acceptance if your numbers are below both medians, but you never know. just hope for the best but expect the worst.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:27 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
i wouldn't count on an acceptance if your numbers are below both medians, but you never know. just hope for the best but expect the worst.

Certainly not counting on it, but dare to dream! :D

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:34 pm

sanguar wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

Certainly not counting on it, but dare to dream! :D

good attitude! congrats on some mad schollies to texas and UCLA btw

neonx

Postby neonx » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:41 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
neonx wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

i don't know about this. i have yet to hear of someone (non-URM of course) with both stats below UVA's medians who got in. UVA is a median whore

edit: i didn't read this well enough. if you have one stat below median, it might help. both stats, i'd go with no

I'm non-URM, both stats below median, RD. Why Virginia definitely included.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:43 pm

neonx wrote:I'm non-URM, both stats below median, RD. Why Virginia definitely included.

really? nice. IIRC, you've had a freakishly good cycle. what's your secret?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:25 pm

Crap can anyone help me with this. I have gotten an email from the director of admissions asking to discuss my application? is this normal? do you think this means an admission? I'm in a meeting till 2 :(. I almost want to just step away but I don't know how long the call takes. Has anybody else had this? I can't concentrate now.......

akili

Postby akili » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:26 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Crap can anyone help me with this. I have gotten an email from the director of admissions asking to discuss my application? is this normal? do you think this means an admission? I'm in a meeting till 2 :(. I almost want to just step away but I don't know how long the call takes. Has anybody else had this? I can't concentrate now.......

Pretty sure that means you are in. Congrats!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:26 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Crap can anyone help me with this. I have gotten an email from the director of admissions asking to discuss my application? is this normal? do you think this means an admission? I'm in a meeting till 2 :(. I almost want to just step away but I don't know how long the call takes. Has anybody else had this? I can't concentrate now.......

Don't worry, they only send those for good reasons (almost always to offer you admission).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:30 pm

bdubs wrote:

Don't worry, they only send those for good reasons (almost always to offer you admission).

Yes. Congrats!

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:32 pm

bdubs wrote:

ok I feel better but it was the director of admissions Faulk, I thought it would be a dean or something for admission. Bump this I'm gonna have to step out I'll let you guys know what's up soon. did anybody else get in today?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:39 pm

In with $$$$$$$$$90,000 I can't believe it. I love you UVA! Crap this makes things so difficult :(.

edit: anybody else get in today?

champsound

Postby champsound » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:41 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:In with $$$$$$$$$90,000 I can't believe it. I love you UVA! Crap this makes things so difficult :(.

Wow, congrats! That's a ton of money.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:45 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:In with $$$$$$$$$90,000 I can't believe it. I love you UVA! Crap this makes things so difficult :(.

Good job congrats!

I wonder how many people they are going to lure with that 90k. It's hard to just think about turning it down.

2things2

Postby 2things2 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:48 pm

would it be worth it to send in an early decision form this late? my app went complete almost a month ago, and it went complete again yesterday. thoughts?

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:48 pm

neonx wrote:I'm non-URM, both stats below median, RD. Why Virginia definitely included.

^Troll

CM612

Postby CM612 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:49 pm

well-hello-there wrote:

^Troll

Not troll.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:52 pm

well-hello-there wrote:

^Troll

lol

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”