UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
paulinaporizkova

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:09 pm

DeeCee wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
DeeCee wrote:does anyone know how many people they keep on the waitlist? Is this some crazy list that I'll never get off of?

pretty sure they waitlist twice as many people as they reject. it really makes absolutely no sense. UVA does weird things.

I figured as much. I'm really sad about this, because I now know it means I have zero chance of getting in with my LSAT (157).

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:11 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
DeeCee wrote:does anyone know how many people they keep on the waitlist? Is this some crazy list that I'll never get off of?

pretty sure they waitlist twice as many people as they reject. it really makes absolutely no sense. UVA does weird things.

I figured as much. I'm really sad about this, because I now know it means I have zero chance of getting in with my LSAT (157).

That's a lot of waitlisting!! Does the graph so WL'ers that got in?

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:12 pm

WL'er don't generally get in. Un/fortunately for UVA, it's about as good as a rejection

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:13 pm

WL via email. Numbers and dates in profile.

akili

Postby akili » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:WL via email. Numbers and dates in profile.

I think I'm waitlist bound too then. Sorry burg.. :(

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:14 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:WL'er don't generally get in. Un/fortunately for UVA, it's about as good as a rejection

They probably just felt bad for me then because I had so much correspondence (face-to-face and email) with them, and I wrote a UVa specific essay.

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:17 pm

DeeCee wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:WL'er don't generally get in. Un/fortunately for UVA, it's about as good as a rejection

They probably just felt bad for me then because I had so much correspondence (face-to-face and email) with them, and I wrote a UVa specific essay.

trust me. any news is good news. now you can move on with your life and make your choices accordingly. ur probably too good, they just can't handle it :mrgreen:

Burgstaller04

Postby Burgstaller04 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:19 pm

akili wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:WL via email. Numbers and dates in profile.
I think I'm waitlist bound too then. Sorry burg.. :(
I was screwed from the beginning. oos and didn't write a why uva. not too broken up about this.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:19 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

trust me. any news is good news. now you can move on with your life and make your choices accordingly. ur probably too good, they just can't handle it :mrgreen:

I probably won't move on unless I get in at UNC (I'm in-state). Then, even though UNC is not my top choice like UVa and GW, at least I won't be in major debt for the rest of my life, since I want to do PI.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:32 pm

No email.

*crickets*

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:13 pm

eskimo wrote:No email.

*crickets*

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:22 pm

DeeCee wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

That's a lot of waitlisting!! Does the graph so WL'ers that got in?

I withdrew, so that's one less person on the list. I only applied to see what would happen, and I'm happy with my other options so I would rather not waste anyone's times. Good luck to the rest of you!

forward

Postby forward » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:28 am

*crickets*

Redsgomarchingon

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:32 am

*crickets*

same. UR 12/10...

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:42 am

Redsgomarchingon wrote:

*crickets*

same. UR 12/10...

+1 but UR 10/4

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:27 pm

Redsgomarchingon wrote:

*crickets*

same. UR 12/10...

Yep. UR 12/6 (originally 11/15).

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:37 pm

UR in September, OOS, crickets

I'm getting to the point where I want to just tell them that, yes, I need the amount of money that my numbers get on LSN to consider your school, but if you do give it, you'll be my (current) top choice. And if you're not going to, just reject me, keep your yield up, and that's fine too.

Obviously, I'd phrase it more politely. Does anyone know of directness ever working?

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:17 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
Redsgomarchingon wrote:

*crickets*

same. UR 12/10...

Yep. UR 12/6 (originally 11/15).

+1. UR 11/10.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:20 pm

thsmthcrmnl wrote:Obviously, I'd phrase it more politely. Does anyone know of directness ever working?

Obviously it's frustrating (I'm waiting on Duke and Berkeley for almost as long as you), but I'm pretty sure that's not a good idea. The problem is, while we all really want to know right now, there's unlikely to be a reason any particular person needs to know right now. If UVA with $$ would be your top choice today, it should be your top choice in a month, too. Forcing the issue would come off poorly, in my opinion.

thsmthcrmnl

Postby thsmthcrmnl » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:02 pm

Yeah, thanks for talking me down.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:37 pm

thsmthcrmnl wrote:UR in September, OOS, crickets

I'm getting to the point where I want to just tell them that, yes, I need the amount of money that my numbers get on LSN to consider your school, but if you do give it, you'll be my (current) top choice. And if you're not going to, just reject me, keep your yield up, and that's fine too.

Obviously, I'd phrase it more politely. Does anyone know of directness ever working?

do you mind sharing your numbers? UVA is tough because they seem to admit people with good "lower" numbers with money (for instance, a 170, 4.0 will get in with $$, a 172, 4.0 will get waitlisted due to YP, even if they really wanted to go with a scholarship) - just go back and review this thread and you'll see a handful of people with numbers like this in with $$ and a handful waitlisted.

though i'd advise against it, i've read LSN profiles where a person (usually a VA resident) ED's to UVA (with super high #s) and then gets huge $ after the ED. but what i'm not clear on is whether they get $$ because they ED with good numbers, thus showing this really is their top choice and they'd love to go with $$, or because they are VA residents. conventional wisdom tells me it's the latter.

what you said was that if UVA wanted to reject you to keep their yield up, that would be fine with you. so i guess you shouldn't do anything right now since it sounds like you wouldn't just die if you didn't get in.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:24 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
thsmthcrmnl wrote:UR in September, OOS, crickets

do you mind sharing your numbers? UVA is tough because they seem to admit people with good "lower" numbers with money (for instance, a 170, 4.0 will get in with $$, a 172, 4.0 will get waitlisted due to YP, even if they really wanted to go with a scholarship) - just go back and review this thread and you'll see a handful of people with numbers like this in with $$ and a handful waitlisted.

though i'd advise against it, i've read LSN profiles where a person (usually a VA resident) ED's to UVA (with super high #s) and then gets huge $ after the ED. but what i'm not clear on is whether they get $$ because they ED with good numbers, thus showing this really is their top choice and they'd love to go with $$, or because they are VA residents. conventional wisdom tells me it's the latter.

what you said was that if UVA wanted to reject you to keep their yield up, that would be fine with you. so i guess you shouldn't do anything right now since it sounds like you wouldn't just die if you didn't get in.

I've heard both Trujillo and Faulk affirm UVA's philosophy that they don't shirk applicants who apply ED...if the numbers and softs are there, they'll still get their scholarship money.

There's an art to avoiding YP while still leveraging scholarship money. My approach was to send a LOCI that had an innocuous line about UVA being my first choice "financial circumstances permitting" (I'm paraphrasing). I shortly thereafter followed it up with a visit to the school and a face-to-face chat with admissions. I firmly believe that it's easier to pull this off when the person on the other side can hear the tone of your voice and read your body language...it makes the whole thing seem less like a stick-up note and more like a frank and forthcoming discussion of needs and preferences.

nothereok

Postby nothereok » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:11 am

Random question: Does anyone know how many full tuition scholarships UVA gives out each year. I am very curious.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:41 pm

nothereok wrote:Random question: Does anyone know how many full tuition scholarships UVA gives out each year. I am very curious.

I believe the answer is 2-4 Dillards plus an unknown number of quasi-full tuition scholarships at 45k/year.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:58 pm

Sooo I have been updated 3 times...1/10, 1/17 and now 1/30. Is that a good or bad thing? How many updates before a decision?? :oops:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”