UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ksimon2007

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Anybody have any idea about negotiating for in-state tuition with UVA? I have been in the state throughout undergrad. Is in-state on the table at all with UVA. I know UT-Austin institution offers waivers.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:50 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
Yeah, r6 and I have very similar numbers. However, I think his application overall may be more diverse and interesting than mine, in addition to the fact that I am still an undergrad w/o real work experience. TBH, if I had his scholly, I would have attended barring an S or H acceptance. Actually, I would have gone with even less. The thing is, at this point I cannot tell UVA I would definitively go if accepted, because I have already told (and meant it) to another school.

I also have some legitimate love/connection for the area which I didn't write about, but is apparent in my resume. I am so IP focused I think if a school wants to grow their program and I seem legitimately interested I will get a good look. That's what I keep telling myself why I heard back from UT and B so early but crickets at UCLA/USC/Duke. I am a hit or miss applicant because of my specialty and my softs, I don't think every school like what they see to be honest, so I may not be a good measuring stick for anyone with similar numbers.

plmls

Postby plmls » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:00 pm

I'm paranoid now, as I've only received a very succinct "plmls, welcome" email, while the detailed email hasn't followed yet now at 8:30 EST. I'm afraid that I'd become the laugh-stock of the year on TLS if it turns out not true. Anyway, as a long time lurker and beneficiary on TLS, I'd like to contribute a bit by giving out my info for reference.

International applicant (Asian)/GPA of above average from LSAC, in my 30s, have a few years' working experience, Master degree, applied in early December, write why UVA. I applied to all lower T14, hoping to get just one. I think even the schools from UCLA down admitted me, there wouldn't be much money there for me. Sure have financial concerns, but I'd prefer the sticker in any T14 schools to $10K from any below T15 schools, or $20K+ from any below T20 schools.

So I just tossed a coin between UVA and Duke ED (not much preference between those two actually) as ED dates for other schools have passed. My numbers is obviously borderline at best, and if anything from my PS and other softs that might help, my guess is my honesty and down-to-earth approach. I essentially listed my strength and weakness, just like I'm talking to myself in the mirror and find out what I really want to do in the future.

I've contacted Duke for the switch from ED to RD and got the permission. So far hasn't got the WL email yet. But as long as the UVA thing is for real, I'm good. And GL to everyone waiting as I'd been under torture until today, actually still am now. :)

ecarter22

Postby ecarter22 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:45 pm

In today! Missed the phone call from Jason Dugas and will be calling him back tomorrow. Status checker says congratulations. Stats in profile, non URM oos RD, strong softs. How long do the phone calls usually last?
Last edited by ecarter22 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 4102011 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:47 pm

ecarter22 wrote:In today! Missed the phone call from Jason Dugas and will be calling him back to tomorrow. Status checker says congratulations. Stats in profile, non URM oos RD, strong softs. How long do the phone calls usually last?

Mine was like, three minutes of me squeaking and being generally incoherent. Cordel Faulk was cool about it :)

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:47 pm

leidice

Postby leidice » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:40 pm

I know this thread is for RD applicants, but thought I'd throw in that I too was WL today. GPA: 3.93+, LSAT 163. My first choice school (though definitely a reach, I am OOS as well). Sent in a Why UVa with my app.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:48 pm

Sent a LOCI this afternoon. Got an acknowledgment telling me to check back in late April/early May as that is when the adcom will look At the waitlist. I have not been waitlisted yet, at least not formally.

This probably means I will get the WL email soon?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:16 am

jman77 wrote:Sent a LOCI this afternoon. Got an acknowledgment telling me to check back in late April/early May as that is when the adcom will look At the waitlist. I have not been waitlisted yet, at least not formally.

Or maybe they didn't really look up your file and assumed that you are WLed because you are sending in an LOCI.

ecarter22

Postby ecarter22 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:54 am

Talked to Jason Dugas about an hour ago, he was really nice on the phone. I'm really happy that I didn't get to his original call and found out via status checker, since it made the conversation way more relaxed. Congrats to everyone else accepted, and good luck to all those still waiting.

pixytree

Postby pixytree » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:40 am

plmls wrote:I'm paranoid now, as I've only received a very succinct "plmls, welcome" email, while the detailed email hasn't followed yet now at 8:30 EST. I'm afraid that I'd become the laugh-stock of the year on TLS if it turns out not true. Anyway, as a long time lurker and beneficiary on TLS, I'd like to contribute a bit by giving out my info for reference.

International applicant (Asian)/GPA of above average from LSAC, in my 30s, have a few years' working experience, Master degree, applied in early December, write why UVA. I applied to all lower T14, hoping to get just one. I think even the schools from UCLA down admitted me, there wouldn't be much money there for me. Sure have financial concerns, but I'd prefer the sticker in any T14 schools to $10K from any below T15 schools, or $20K+ from any below T20 schools.

So I just tossed a coin between UVA and Duke ED (not much preference between those two actually) as ED dates for other schools have passed. My numbers is obviously borderline at best, and if anything from my PS and other softs that might help, my guess is my honesty and down-to-earth approach. I essentially listed my strength and weakness, just like I'm talking to myself in the mirror and find out what I really want to do in the future.

I've contacted Duke for the switch from ED to RD and got the permission. So far hasn't got the WL email yet. But as long as the UVA thing is for real, I'm good. And GL to everyone waiting as I'd been under torture until today, actually still am now. :)

I got a phone call and then a very brief, welcome to UVA email. Brief as in exactly one line. I'm sure it's real.

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:47 am

ecarter22 wrote:Talked to Jason Dugas about an hour ago, he was really nice on the phone. I'm really happy that I didn't get to his original call and found out via status checker, since it made the conversation way more relaxed. Congrats to everyone else accepted, and good luck to all those still waiting.

Dugas is cool as fuck! Wait until he starts sending you one sentence emails. I was like WTF...Who is this? Oh shit...my bad. lol

jman77

Postby jman77 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:50 am

r6_philly wrote:
jman77 wrote:Sent a LOCI this afternoon. Got an acknowledgment telling me to check back in late April/early May as that is when the adcom will look At the waitlist. I have not been waitlisted yet, at least not formally.

Or maybe they didn't really look up your file and assumed that you are WLed because you are sending in an LOCI.

I hope you're right. It was dean Trujillo who acknowledged, so my immediate thought was that he already knew I was going to be waitlisted. But yeah, your scenario would definitely be better. Hehe

hellome

Postby hellome » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:30 am

this is crazy, i went complete in september and not a peep since :?

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:32 am

hellome wrote:this is crazy, i went complete in september and not a peep since :?

Same here I've been stuck at 9/27 with nary a peep. It looks like you and I have had similar acceptances - would just like to hear from UVa so I can call this cycle complete!

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:40 am

er doctor wrote:
hellome wrote:this is crazy, i went complete in september and not a peep since :?

Same here I've been stuck at 9/27 with nary a peep. It looks like you and I have had similar acceptances - would just like to hear from UVa so I can call this cycle complete!

+1 frowny face

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:54 am

jpk5372 wrote:
er doctor wrote:

+1 frowny face

I got the call even though my status checker never updated a UR date. It stayed with the first one I got in November.

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:58 am

Law Sauce wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:
er doctor wrote:

+1 frowny face

I got the call even though my status checker never updated a UR date. It stayed with the first one I got in November.

They didn't even acknowledge my LOCI...UVa please stop being such a hater!!!!

hellome

Postby hellome » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:18 am

jpk5372 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:
er doctor wrote:

+1 frowny face

They didn't even acknowledge my LOCI...UVa please stop being such a hater!!!!

UVa you make us angry and so damn anxious!!!!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:48 am

jpk5372 wrote:They didn't even acknowledge my LOCI...UVa please stop being such a hater!!!!

Really? Multiple people I talked to got some sort of acknowledgment. Usually within the business day.

findafish

Postby findafish » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:38 am

For those who received your calls, when did you guys finish application?
Mine file sits Pending Decision/Review from Dec 3rd...
So frustrated..

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:44 am

findafish wrote:For those who received your calls, when did you guys finish application?
So frustrated..

Ha, I wouldn't start worrying yet. I'm at that status dated Oct. 18, and I know there are some people who haven't had any updates since Sept. (TBF, we're probably all being waitlisted :P).

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:45 am

Entchen wrote:
findafish wrote:For those who received your calls, when did you guys finish application?
So frustrated..

Ha, I wouldn't start worrying yet. I'm at that status dated Oct. 18, and I know there are some people who haven't had any updates since Sept. (TBF, we're probably all being waitlisted :P).

I wonder if we'll hear by March. I submitted early-mid Nov, still no word besides "Pending Review/Decision."

jman77

Postby jman77 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:28 pm

jman77 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I hope you're right. It was dean Trujillo who acknowledged, so my immediate thought was that he already knew I was going to be waitlisted. But yeah, your scenario would definitely be better. Hehe

Unfortunately, my initial interpretation was correct, after all. Just got the waitlist e-mail.

findafish

Postby findafish » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:30 pm

Just received an email, waitlisted...
bummer.

DeeCee wrote:
Entchen wrote:
So frustrated..

I wonder if we'll hear by March. I submitted early-mid Nov, still no word besides "Pending Review/Decision."

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”