UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:06 pm

sarahlawg wrote:oh man. I joined, but I didn't realize faulk and dugas were the admins! I thought it was like the penn group where I could talk to other people about housing/life/1L/etc. I feel weird now.

I didn't feel like joining the official "class of" group since I haven't committed. I like the unofficial admit groups because it helps with decision making process.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:10 pm

r6_philly wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:oh man. I joined, but I didn't realize faulk and dugas were the admins! I thought it was like the penn group where I could talk to other people about housing/life/1L/etc. I feel weird now.

I didn't feel like joining the official "class of" group since I haven't committed. I like the unofficial admit groups because it helps with decision making process.

I haven't committed either. Which is why I feel weird now.

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:32 pm

anyone else get dinged yesterday? woke up to the infamously informal email in my inbox. i actually didn't care at all and started laughing. was surprised by my nonchalant reaction.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:42 pm

amkid100 wrote:anyone else get dinged yesterday? woke up to the infamously informal email in my inbox. i actually didn't care at all and started laughing. was surprised by my nonchalant reaction.

This is how I felt about GeorgeTTTown; I just went on with my day and didn't even care. However, with UVa I will have the exact opposite reaction. I feel like I've been waiting so long for my ding, and it's going to hurt when I get it.

amkid100

Postby amkid100 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:45 pm

haha i guess we're the opposite. my guess is that i will be at georgeTTTown next year :)

dbrddr

Postby dbrddr » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:51 pm

Haha, it's the same with Yale--Craig Janecek is the admin, and there hasn't been a single post by an admitted student. I think everyone's terrified to be the first.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:52 pm

dbrddr wrote:

Haha, it's the same with Yale--Craig Janecek is the admin, and there hasn't been a single post by an admitted student. I think everyone's terrified to be the first.

How many people admitted at Yale are seriously considering going elsewhere? Their yield is ridiculous. I think you might be the exception dbrddr

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:56 pm

amkid100 wrote:haha i guess we're the opposite. my guess is that i will be at georgeTTTown next year :)

I've always had this vibe that I love UVa much more than GT, even though I've never seen GT and I've only briefly visited UVa. Hopefully this comes through in the application.

rli66

Postby rli66 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Would it be possible to ask for more money even if you don't have a remotely close competitor that offered you money?

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Can you submit an ED after having applied and been waitlisted RD? Just wondering, since their ED deadline is beginning of March.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:30 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:Can you submit an ED after having applied and been waitlisted RD? Just wondering, since their ED deadline is beginning of March.

hahaha, unfortunately no.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:41 pm

rli66 wrote:Would it be possible to ask for more money even if you don't have a remotely close competitor that offered you money?

Possible, yes. Good idea, probably not. Unless you can make a good case for them giving you more money--if you just tell them you want more money without a reason, odds are they're going to say no.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:11 pm

rli66 wrote:Would it be possible to ask for more money even if you don't have a remotely close competitor that offered you money?

Well if it works for you, let me know.. if your profile's accurate I have higher numbers and am a resident and got less money than you :cry:

C'mon UVA, I want to come back!

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:13 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:Can you submit an ED after having applied and been waitlisted RD? Just wondering, since their ED deadline is beginning of March.

sure you can! print it up, sign it, and send it in the mail. What's the worst that could happen?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:14 pm

I would wait until aid packages are handed out to negotiate. Maybe April is a much better time than Jan/Feb because they will have a better understanding of the fund availability by then.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:28 pm

arism87 wrote:

Well if it works for you, let me know.. if your profile's accurate I have higher numbers and am a resident and got less money than you :cry:

pretty sure you can thank TfA scholarship for that. I keep thinking, why is everyone getting 90k, when I just got half-tuition? Oooh TfA scholly...

I'm just hoping they put something on top of it? lol oh to be optimistic.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:34 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
arism87 wrote:

pretty sure you can thank TfA scholarship for that. I keep thinking, why is everyone getting 90k, when I just got half-tuition? Oooh TfA scholly...

I'm just hoping they put something on top of it? lol oh to be optimistic.

I KNOW! Half tuition is an even worse deal for me as a resident. I'm annoyed, but I don't foresee getting any higher scholarships elsewhere to bargain with :(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:03 pm

arism87 wrote:
I KNOW! Half tuition is an even worse deal for me as a resident. I'm annoyed, but I don't foresee getting any higher scholarships elsewhere to bargain with :(

I think the way to look at tuition is not the face amount, but what the resulting COA is. Like at Texas, I only got 9500/year, but with the in-state waiver tuition is really 19k or something.

So OOS 47.5k - 30k = 17.5k
IS half : 42.5k / 2 = 21.25k making it $3750/year or $11250 over 3 years less than the 90k offers.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:07 pm

I know it's only worth 5000 a year, but how hard is it to establish residency? I read the site and although it gives the guideline for applying, it also implies the burden is on the student to prove that you are not living in VA solely for educational purposes. This makes it sound impossible.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:

I think the way to look at tuition is not the face amount, but what the resulting COA is. Like at Texas, I only got 9500/year, but with the in-state waiver tuition is really 19k or something.

So OOS 47.5k - 30k = 17.5k
IS half : 42.5k / 2 = 21.25k making it $3750/year or $11250 over 3 years less than the 90k offers.

Yeah.. but (disregarding the fact that it will go up) in state is $42,500, with half tuition that's $21,250/year

If I got the $90K some seem to get with my numbers (especially residents) that would be $12,000/year.

Even with the $75,000 everyone NEAR my numbers seem to get (including residents) it's $17,500/year

Sigh.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:I know it's only worth 5000 a year, but how hard is it to establish residency? I read the site and although it gives the guideline for applying, it also implies the burden is on the student to prove that you are not living in VA solely for educational purposes. This makes it sound impossible.

I know my situation is different, but FWIW:
I've been living/working in MD for the last 2 years so I called admissions at the beginning of the year to ask about my residency. My driver's license/car registration/voting registration is in VA, and they told me if I re-filed my income taxes in VA I would be considered a resident.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:I know it's only worth 5000 a year, but how hard is it to establish residency? I read the site and although it gives the guideline for applying, it also implies the burden is on the student to prove that you are not living in VA solely for educational purposes. This makes it sound impossible.

i know that's your son in the pic. are you married? if so, maybe if your family moved to Virginia when you went to school and they established residency (they'd have to, since they wouldn't be going to grad school like you, right?) you could as well since you'll all be living together as a family unit? maybe maybe??

in retrospect, this sounds dumb. but it kind of makes intuitive sense.

albanach

Postby albanach » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:09 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
in retrospect, this sounds dumb. but it kind of makes intuitive sense.

Actually, I think you got it spot on. Here's what he State Council Of Higher Education For Virginia says.

http://www.schev.edu/students/VAdomicile.asp

Married Students

A married person may establish domicile like any other student. A person's domicile is not automatically altered by marriage. However, if a student receives substantial financial support from his or her spouse, the student may claim domicile through the spouse. In such cases, the college or university will look at the spouse's domicile to determine if the student is eligible for in-state tuition or state financial aid programs. You must inform the institution if you wish to claim domicile through your spouse.

So, if you're married, ideally you would want to move to the state befor classes start. If your spouse can find employment that theoretically would continue beyond your graduation, if you both file taxes, get drivers licenses etc, and especially if you purchased property, you could probably etablish residency for 2L and 3L.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:36 pm

well-hello-there wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

sure you can! print it up, sign it, and send it in the mail. What's the worst that could happen?

actually, knowing UVA, they'd probably be like ohh sorry about that waitlist a few days ago - it was a typo - it was supposed to say "accepted"! (Now pls withdraw from all other schools immediately.)

i just glanced at their ED contract - it says you can only ED if they haven't made a decision on your app yet. sorry

servo

Postby servo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:33 pm

status update today FWIW: 1/10 UR --> 1/24 UR

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”