UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CrimLaw300

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby CrimLaw300 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:18 pm

Dinged via email

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:21 pm

law_monkey wrote:Sorry about the dings and WLs. Weird that they're sending both out right now though and some of us Septembers and Octobers still haven't heard. What do you want from us UVA???

+8354271392637480

pulandasu

Postby pulandasu » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:42 pm

jpk5372 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
lshamlet wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Sorry about the dings and WLs. Weird that they're sending both out right now though and some of us Septembers and Octobers still haven't heard. What do you want from us UVA???

Yep, very odd. I'm getting scared to send in my Why UVA/LOCI - it seems like everyone in this thread who has tried that has gotten dinged/WLed really quickly afterward! Not sure what to do...

Yeah I'm just leaving my app alone. In the LOCI article they made a really good point that sometimes updates can move you back to the bottom of the pile. And like you said it hasn't necessarily been working out for anyone. Maybe since they're doing all this there will be another batch of acceptances soon...including early submitters!

I dunno, seemed to work for someone yesterday. and they got $$$

Yeah, I may be an abberation than a norm, but I sent in my LOCI last week and got a call from Dean Dugas yesterday. I was 10/11 UR and hadn't heard a blip from them prior to that.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:59 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:

+8354271392637480

De facto hold? I think schools are practicing this left and right this year.

leidice

Postby leidice » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:41 pm

From my analysis of the results I've seen on LSN and TLS, I would guess that Virginia is WL/Dinging all or most of the RD apps (unsure about IS/OOS distinctions right now) who fall below both medians. For those with good numbers (at least LSAT or GPA higher than a median), they are holding onto their apps.. possibly with the hope they ED, or they are leaving room for other high-number students to apply ED. It may be their way of protecting their yield and also ensuring they meet or exceed last year's median numbers.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:49 pm

someone is gunning for #7-8 in the rankings.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:51 pm

leidice wrote:From my analysis of the results I've seen on LSN and TLS, I would guess that Virginia is WL/Dinging all or most of the RD apps (unsure about IS/OOS distinctions right now) who fall below both medians. For those with good numbers (at least LSAT or GPA higher than a median), they are holding onto their apps.. possibly with the hope they ED, or they are leaving room for other high-number students to apply ED. It may be their way of protecting their yield and also ensuring they meet or exceed last year's median numbers.

False for me, but I'm URM. And there have been other URMs below and above my numbers who have been accepted. I'm getting frustrated with my lack of ability to develop theories for UVA. :(

leidice

Postby leidice » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:58 pm

law_monkey wrote:False for me, but I'm URM. And there have been other URMs below and above my numbers who have been accepted. I'm getting frustrated with my lack of ability to develop theories for UVA. :(

Yeah, that's why I didn't include URM in my post. I can't figure out their URM strategy at all. haha. But from looking at your profile, I would say based on the schools you've been accepted to, you probably have a decent shot at Virginia. You may be in some "accept in a month or two" stack or something of the sort, with all the non-URM 170+ and 3.85+ applicants.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:01 pm

leidice wrote:
law_monkey wrote:False for me, but I'm URM. And there have been other URMs below and above my numbers who have been accepted. I'm getting frustrated with my lack of ability to develop theories for UVA. :(

Yeah, that's why I didn't include URM in my post. I can't figure out their URM strategy at all. haha. But from looking at your profile, I would say based on the schools you've been accepted to, you probably have a decent shot at Virginia. You may be in some "accept in a month or two" stack or something of the sort, with all the non-URM 170+ and 3.85+ applicants.

Yeah, we'll see. I kind of just want my cycle to be over though so I can really focus on my options. So UVA, if you could send me an answer ASAP so I know whether or not to include you that would be greatly appreciated! K thx bye!

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:17 pm

leidice wrote:From my analysis of the results I've seen on LSN and TLS, I would guess that Virginia is WL/Dinging all or most of the RD apps (unsure about IS/OOS distinctions right now) who fall below both medians. For those with good numbers (at least LSAT or GPA higher than a median), they are holding onto their apps.. possibly with the hope they ED, or they are leaving room for other high-number students to apply ED. It may be their way of protecting their yield and also ensuring they meet or exceed last year's median numbers.

Have ppl been getting dinged via email immediately? I sent in my app 1/17 -> completed 1/20 (167/3.7) ideas?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:19 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:

Have ppl been getting dinged via email immediately? I sent in my app 1/17 -> completed 1/20 (167/3.7) ideas?

Yes. Are you in state? If not things don't look too good for you.

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:21 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:

I dinged two days ago. OOS, 167/3.6, submitted in early December.

leidice

Postby leidice » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:24 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:

No idea on that one. I'm an ED applicant, went complete on 1/17 and I haven't even gotten an answer yet. They might just be working on RD apps in order of completion dates.. I think I read that some recent ding/WL emails were sent to people who went complete in mid-December.

I'm just enjoying the game of trying to analyze Virginia's application process. These are all assumptions and I have really no clue what goes on in any admissions office haha.

BTW, I LOVE your username. Just watched that movie again last night :D

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:26 pm

bdubs wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:

lol, out of state (CA). Solid WE and softs. I can't say im surprised, although I would appreciate a ding via email please and thank you haha.

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:27 pm

leidice wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:

No idea on that one. I'm an ED applicant, went complete on 1/17 and I haven't even gotten an answer yet. They might just be working on RD apps in order of completion dates.. I think I read that some recent ding/WL emails were sent to people who went complete in mid-December.

I'm just enjoying the game of trying to analyze Virginia's application process. These are all assumptions and I have really no clue what goes on in any admissions office haha.

BTW, I LOVE your username. Just watched that movie again last night :D

haha, extra points for the first one to get the reference!

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:32 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:
bdubs wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:

lol, out of state (CA). Solid WE and softs. I can't say im surprised, although I would appreciate a ding via email please and thank you haha.

lol Yeah a lot of us have been appreciative of UVA's relatively prompt e-mail dings.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Got in today, 90k!

10/4, OOS. So excited!

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:Got in today, 90k!

10/4, OOS. So excited!

awesome, when did you find out?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:43 pm

10/4, OOS. So excited!

Grats r6!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Thank you!!! Phone call this afternoon. Great day so far, got both Michigan and UVa today :D

socraticmethodman

Postby socraticmethodman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Congrats R6, Michigan and UVA in the same day, not to bad man, not to bad.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:48 pm

10/4, OOS. So excited!

Wow, congratulations my friend! I hope something is heading my way, too!

neonx

Postby neonx » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:49 pm

10/4, OOS. So excited!

Holla!

whitman

Postby whitman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:49 pm

I don't know about this. I think they're waitlisting a lot of folks with good numbers that are OOS. I was waitlisted with LSAT>75, GPA at 25, which granted is not nearly as good as being at or above both medians.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:51 pm

10/4, OOS. So excited!

Congrats! TBH, I would take that over Berk, at least at or close to sticker, although I understand you want to be hooked into SV.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”