UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cardinals1989

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:20 am

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:4/8. Waiting on Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, and Virginia.

And Yale? :)

Which 4 did you get in? Columbia should be close...

I really don't want to ride WLs, hopefully I won't have to.

Yale-maybe :D

In @ G'town, Duke, WashU, and NYU. And WL's=no bueno.

To have an on-topic comment, UVA seriously needs to make a decision now. WL, admit me, something. I have sent them all my love-I just need some closure. :oops:

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:07 pm

Just updated today UR 1/17 from UR 1/12. Meaningless I assume?

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:27 pm

Ship87 wrote:Just updated today UR 1/17 from UR 1/12. Meaningless I assume?

It probably has some meaning. But for the sake of your sanity, assume it's meaningless, because none of us can figure out UVA's admissions. It's easier that way :wink:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:32 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
Ship87 wrote:Just updated today UR 1/17 from UR 1/12. Meaningless I assume?

It probably has some meaning. But for the sake of your sanity, assume it's meaningless, because none of us can figure out UVA's admissions. It's easier that way :wink:

It means you will definitely receive a decision by 4/30. Count on it.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:14 pm

I'm still at 11/7/2010. woot!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:20 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I'm still at 11/7/2010. woot!

you should ED and see what happens.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Think it'd matter at this point? I suppose it's worth a try... But, again, looking at my handy-dandy USNW&R, it doesn't look like many graduates successfully make it back to "The Pacific." =/

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:34 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Think it'd matter at this point? I suppose it's worth a try... But, again, looking at my handy-dandy USNW&R, it doesn't look like many graduates successfully make it back to "The Pacific." =/

If you can't get in by switching to ED, then you probably aren't going to RD. A fancy-pants T10 JD may help you a bit, also check out their LRAP. Maybe you can work in DC a bit then back to the pacific. Also, since most UVa students self-select to the east coast, I wouldn't necessarily worry about the stats too much. Maybe call/email a few alums and others in the field you want to get into and gather some opinion?

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

If you can't get in by switching to ED, then you probably aren't going to RD. A fancy-pants T10 JD may help you a bit, also check out their LRAP. Maybe you can work in DC a bit then back to the pacific. Also, since most UVa students self-select to the east coast, I wouldn't necessarily worry about the stats too much. Maybe call/email a few alums and others in the field you want to get into and gather some opinion?

Excellent. Well, you're probably right, so looking at their ED information:

"the signed Early Decision Agreement (this form must be mailed to us; it is not submitted electronically)" - This is the only thing I'll need to do, since my app has been in since November, right?

Might as well. Thanks for the tip. At least I'll get my ding/WL faster? :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

"the signed Early Decision Agreement (this form must be mailed to us; it is not submitted electronically)" - This is the only thing I'll need to do, since my app has been in since November, right?

You are welcome! There is no need to keep waiting for things unpleasant, if you can help it, help it.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

You are welcome! There is no need to keep waiting for things unpleasant, if you can help it, help it.

+1. If I wasn't in an unrequited-love relationship with another school, I would definitely be ED'ing.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:08 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:+1. If I wasn't in an unrequited-love relationship with another school, I would definitely be ED'ing.

If that school had ED, I would do it.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:+1. If I wasn't in an unrequited-love relationship with another school, I would definitely be ED'ing.

If that school had ED, I would do it.

So, so true.

Dwigt

Postby Dwigt » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:55 pm

I've been complete for four months as of yesterday (status checker still stuck on 9/16).

3.4x / 170 / Mexican-American / OOS.

I wrote a (very heartfelt) Why UVA when I applied. It's been one of my top two choices (the other top choice being Michigan, where I was rejected...can't figure that one out as I was admitted to Penn the same day) this entire cycle. I love Charlottesville...absolutely love it.

I just wish I knew why I haven't heard anything back yet! Others who have been complete since back then (with maybe a few exceptions) seem to have either heard back or at least have had their status date changed.

JennBNYC

Postby JennBNYC » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:59 pm

Dwigt wrote:I've been complete for four months as of yesterday (status checker still stuck on 9/16).

I wrote a (very heartfelt) Why UVA when I applied. It's been one of my top two choices (the other top choice being Michigan, where I was rejected...can't figure that one out as I was admitted to Penn the same day) this entire cycle. I love Charlottesville...absolutely love it.

I just wish I knew why I haven't heard anything back yet! Others who have been complete since back then (with maybe a few exceptions) seem to have either heard back or at least have had their status date changed.

I'm stuck on 9/16, too :-/

coug11

Postby coug11 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 am

Dwigt wrote:I've been complete for four months as of yesterday (status checker still stuck on 9/16).

If it's your top choice now, why don't you ED? You would probably get a quicker decision that way.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:40 am

Geez, I feel like you have to propose to UVa to get any answer of commitment.

Why do they seem to only respond quickly to ED? I can't afford to ED, which is the ONLY reason I haven't done it.

lolok

Postby lolok » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:40 am

Mildly late on this, but I got in last week with a 75k scholly. I don't remember what my complete date was, but I submitted around the end of October. Didn't write Why UVA, out of state, regular decision.

My theory on UVA admissions is this: They want to protect their yield above all else this year, so they are cherry-picking candidates they think won't be accepted much higher AND who would likely attend and throwing gobs of money at them to entice them to pick UVA over peer schools. I have a median LSAT and a GPA above the 75th, but there's no way I should have gotten that much money with such middling stats (we all know GPA barely counts for anything). I guess something in my app must have screamed "I WILL GO TO UVA IF ADMITTED" because that's the only reason I can think of that I was admitted while others with my same LSAT/GPA have so far been passed over.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:45 am

lolok wrote:Mildly late on this, but I got in last week with a 75k scholly. I don't remember what my complete date was, but I submitted around the end of October. Didn't write Why UVA, out of state, regular decision.

My theory on UVA admissions is this: They want to protect their yield above all else this year, so they are cherry-picking candidates they think won't be accepted much higher AND who would likely attend and throwing gobs of money at them to entice them to pick UVA over peer schools. I have a median LSAT and a GPA above the 75th, but there's no way I should have gotten that much money with such middling stats (we all know GPA barely counts for anything). I guess something in my app must have screamed "I WILL GO TO UVA IF ADMITTED" because that's the only reason I can think of that I was admitted while others with my same LSAT/GPA have so far been passed over.

That makes sense. Perhaps I should write them a desperate addendum stating I would ED if I could get a scholly, if accepted. :lol: Obviously that is ridiculous, but sticker is a lot and I'm not sure if I can afford it. Believe me, with my numbers it would be the highest ranked school I could get into, so on the 8% chance or so that I get in, I'll be going at sticker :cry:

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:47 am

I've been accepted ED to UVA and so don't really belong here, but I had a question-have any of you called admissions and simply told them that you will attend if admitted? I know of at least one person who got off the waitlist this way last year.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:53 am

sundance95 wrote:I've been accepted ED to UVA and so don't really belong here, but I had a question-have any of you called admissions and simply told them that you will attend if admitted? I know of at least one person who got off the waitlist this way last year.

I have not done this. However, I've kept in touch with Mr. Faulk on a once-a-month basis, and I sent in a Why UVa and LSAT addendum while my app has been in limbo. I feel like I really can't do anything else though. because I have yet to receive any decision from them. I don't want to bombard or annoy them.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:43 am

sundance95 wrote:I've been accepted ED to UVA and so don't really belong here, but I had a question-have any of you called admissions and simply told them that you will attend if admitted? I know of at least one person who got off the waitlist this way last year.

Congrats on the ED acceptance!

I need financial aid, that's why I didn't ED anywhere. I didn't want to make false promises, and I thought saying something to the effect of if I get a big enough offer I will attend sounds very very bad.

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:17 am

lolok wrote: I guess something in my app must have screamed "I WILL GO TO UVA IF ADMITTED"

Was your resume filled with fraternity positions and activities? :lol:

bryannance

Postby bryannance » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:28 pm

I haven't sifted through all the posts, so probably a redundant question: My most recent status update was 1/10/11. Does that mean anything?

Thanks!

bryannance

Postby bryannance » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:07 pm

bryannance wrote:I haven't sifted through all the posts, so probably a redundant question: My most recent status update was 1/10/11. Does that mean anything?

Thanks!

*looks around*

Hello?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”