UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:still stuck at early october.....womp womp =(


So I expressed my interests twice, still stuck at 10/4 though. Let's hope I get in soon.


I am really surprised...you have great numbers. You haven't gotten to the "Pending review/Decision" phase yet?


Pending review/decision since 10/4. Submitted 9/22 I think.


Wow, you've been pending much longer than me! Guess I have a ways to go. I wonder what their rhyme or reason is to their application process?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:31 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
Wow, you've been pending much longer than me! Guess I have a ways to go. I wonder what their rhyme or reason is to their application process?


Reject ones that don't meet the standards, accept ones that do and they want, and hold the rest?

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
Wow, you've been pending much longer than me! Guess I have a ways to go. I wonder what their rhyme or reason is to their application process?


Reject ones that don't meet the standards, accept ones that do and they want, and hold the rest?

LOL @ the thought that UVa. has an "application process"

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby law_monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:15 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
Wow, you've been pending much longer than me! Guess I have a ways to go. I wonder what their rhyme or reason is to their application process?


Reject ones that don't meet the standards, accept ones that do and they want, and hold the rest?

LOL @ the thought that UVa. has an "application process"


This. I actually think that's a bad strategy on their part because the longer people don't know if they're going to one school the more they're going to look at the other ones. At least that's what I do. Hint hint UVA - it's not too late if you'll just let me in NOW!!!

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:20 pm

Well I'm guessing it's going to be forever for me to learn anything. I only applied yesterday because they just sent me a fee waiver. for only 12 dollars it's worth a shot, but listening to you guys it sounds like I won't hear back till second semester of my 1L year.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby law_monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:22 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Well I'm guessing it's going to be forever for me to learn anything. I only applied yesterday because they just sent me a fee waiver. for only 12 dollars it's worth a shot, but listening to you guys it sounds like I won't hear back till second semester of my 1L year.


Ugh. Why are they sending out more fee waivers when they already have an office full of applicants that they still haven't given decisions to? And yes I'm whining like a 5 year old right now.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:25 pm

law_monkey wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:Well I'm guessing it's going to be forever for me to learn anything. I only applied yesterday because they just sent me a fee waiver. for only 12 dollars it's worth a shot, but listening to you guys it sounds like I won't hear back till second semester of my 1L year.


Ugh. Why are they sending out more fee waivers when they already have an office full of applicants that they still haven't given decisions to? And yes I'm whining like a 5 year old right now.


All signs from all schools points to this year's pool isn't super strong (like last year) and medians may be in jeopardy of slipping (everywhere). I hope I am right.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:All signs from all schools points to this year's pool isn't super strong (like last year) and medians may be in jeopardy of slipping (everywhere). I hope I am right.


Where are these signs? It would make me very happy to see them.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:30 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:All signs from all schools points to this year's pool isn't super strong (like last year) and medians may be in jeopardy of slipping (everywhere). I hope I am right.


Where are these signs? It would make me very happy to see them.


They are holding applicants they don't quite want to admit but also don't want to lose. A lot of schools are taking longer before waitlisting people with good numbers.

Also Oct LSAT is down 10%. Waiting on Dec. data.

And they are send out waivers like mad this week.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:Also Oct LSAT is down 10%.


Could you post the link? Does this mean in general, there were 10% less test takers, or the test average was 10% worse?

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby T6Hopeful » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:39 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Also Oct LSAT is down 10%.


Could you post the link? Does this mean in general, there were 10% less test takers, or the test average was 10% worse?

http://lsac.org/LSACResources/Data/lsat ... stered.asp
10% less test takers.
And the test average can't be 10% worse, based on how it's designed. But 10% less test takers = less high scores.
Last edited by T6Hopeful on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:41 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Also Oct LSAT is down 10%.


Could you post the link? Does this mean in general, there were 10% less test takers, or the test average was 10% worse?


10% less by volume. And I know retakers are up, so maybe it combines to mean that the number of people in this cycle is more than 10% down.

http://lsac.org/LSACResources/Data/lsat ... stered.asp

Waiting on the Dec. #s. Eagerly waiting.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:46 pm

r6_philly wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Also Oct LSAT is down 10%.


Could you post the link? Does this mean in general, there were 10% less test takers, or the test average was 10% worse?


10% less by volume. And I know retakers are up, so maybe it combines to mean that the number of people in this cycle is more than 10% down.

http://lsac.org/LSACResources/Data/lsat ... stered.asp

Waiting on the Dec. #s. Eagerly waiting.


Thanks for the link! 10% less seems pretty high....wonder what's going on

User avatar
St.Remy
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby St.Remy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:52 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:Thanks for the link! 10% less seems pretty high....wonder what's going on


Nothing too special. Note that the number that took it last October was almost 20% higher than in the previous administration of the test. The number of people that take the LSAT fluctuates.

ClayDavis
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:11 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby ClayDavis » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:52 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Also Oct LSAT is down 10%.


Could you post the link? Does this mean in general, there were 10% less test takers, or the test average was 10% worse?


10% less by volume. And I know retakers are up, so maybe it combines to mean that the number of people in this cycle is more than 10% down.

http://lsac.org/LSACResources/Data/lsat ... stered.asp

Waiting on the Dec. #s. Eagerly waiting.


Thanks for the link! 10% less seems pretty high....wonder what's going on

People might be figuring out that, outside of the elite schools, LS is a scam.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:58 pm

ClayDavis wrote:People might be figuring out that, outside of the elite schools, LS is a scam.


I am going to be an ass to say if they can see through all the marketing and hype and figure out that LS is a scam, they are probably elite school caliber. Scams only work on people scoring on the lower end of the LSAT.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:00 pm

St.Remy wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:Thanks for the link! 10% less seems pretty high....wonder what's going on


Nothing too special. Note that the number that took it last October was almost 20% higher than in the previous administration of the test. The number of people that take the LSAT fluctuates.


No, that increase is largely due to a change in the multiple scores policy where a lot of schools no longer averages - causing a jump in takers. I don't think you can reasonably assume that people are not retaking as much this cycle, and from TLS (I know I know) perspective people are retaking more. So it is almost reasonable to assume the 10% reduction in takers shows a decent reduction in actual candidates.

Before you say look at LSAC account data - that's useless because LSDAS service last multiple years and renews when people register for the LSAT.

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby law_monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:
St.Remy wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:Thanks for the link! 10% less seems pretty high....wonder what's going on


Nothing too special. Note that the number that took it last October was almost 20% higher than in the previous administration of the test. The number of people that take the LSAT fluctuates.


No, that increase is largely due to a change in the multiple scores policy where a lot of schools no longer averages - causing a jump in takers. I don't think you can reasonably assume that people are not retaking as much this cycle, and from TLS (I know I know) perspective people are retaking more. So it is almost reasonable to assume the 10% reduction in takers shows a decent reduction in actual candidates.

Before you say look at LSAC account data - that's useless because LSDAS service last multiple years and renews when people register for the LSAT.


That might help explain why Harvard is making some weird holds this cycle too. If there are fewer candidates with solid numbers - or at least solid one time LSATers - them and all the other schools have a smaller pool to work with. With that being said though, UVA still has a huge pool of early applicants that would really appreciate a decision. :D

User avatar
dbrddr
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby dbrddr » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:08 pm

law_monkey wrote:UVA still has a huge pool of early applicants that would really appreciate a decision. :D

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 pm

dbrddr wrote:
law_monkey wrote:UVA still has a huge pool of early applicants that would really appreciate a decision. :D


That also helps to explain it because they are not as quick to YP (by WL because most highly qualified will withdraw). They are putting on a de facto hold to gauge the rest of the pool right up to the deadline. Harvard holds for this reason, there is the UM "hold" email yesterday...
Last edited by r6_philly on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby akili » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 pm

I applied and have no shot.

I like this conversation about a less competitive pool of applicants...

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:14 pm

akili wrote:I applied and have no shot.

I like this conversation about a less competitive pool of applicants...


Same here....I have absolutely no shot as well, due to some unforeseen personal circumstances that affected my LSAT. However, I figured with my app ready to go, I'd just apply this cycle and see what happens, and if I don't like the results I'll just retake in June and apply next cycle.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:25 pm

akili wrote:I applied and have no shot.

I like this conversation about a less competitive pool of applicants...


Why do you think I started it???

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:25 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:
akili wrote:I applied and have no shot.

I like this conversation about a less competitive pool of applicants...


Same here....I have absolutely no shot as well, due to some unforeseen personal circumstances that affected my LSAT. However, I figured with my app ready to go, I'd just apply this cycle and see what happens, and if I don't like the results I'll just retake in June and apply next cycle.


Write a decent addendum and ED!

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
DCLaw11 wrote:
akili wrote:I applied and have no shot.

I like this conversation about a less competitive pool of applicants...


Same here....I have absolutely no shot as well, due to some unforeseen personal circumstances that affected my LSAT. However, I figured with my app ready to go, I'd just apply this cycle and see what happens, and if I don't like the results I'll just retake in June and apply next cycle.


Write a decent addendum and ED!


Thanks for the encouragement. I actually wrote an addendum about it earlier in the cycle (it was an extreme family emergency that caused my lack of focus on test day). I also wrote a very well-written and carefully thought out "Why UVa," and I sent in a LOCI yesterday. I would love to ED, but I can't because I'm not sure if I can afford to go at sticker, and I don't want to make that commitment without knowing I will be comfortable at sticker.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, AustinLu, DoYouEvenTLS, Google [Bot], SilverSurfer2020, xnsch and 15 guests