UVa. Regular Decision

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tipler4213

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:14 pm

bdubs wrote:
awilson11 wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:and what if you are an OOS, non-URM, early applicant with no why UVA but at at above both medians with no movement haha?

then you are me

Hate to break it to you, but if your profile is right you are not above either median.

Really? Their GPA median is at/above 3.88? Wow, I must need new info or a better memory.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:14 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
awilson11 wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:and what if you are an OOS, non-URM, early applicant with no why UVA but at at above both medians with no movement haha?

then you are me

Hate to break it to you, but if your profile is right you are not above either median.

Really? Their GPA median is at/above 3.88? Wow, I must need new info or a better memory.

Not you, the guy who responded to you. Medians were 3.85/170

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:16 pm

Waitlisted today...actually not bad considering my #s. Don't expect to be accepted off the wait-list.

texaskk

Postby texaskk » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:17 pm

+1

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:21 pm

3.7, 176 international

Got the WL today. Guess they didn't believe my why UVA? First I've heard back from anywhere. Hope its not a judgement on my cycle.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:27 pm

You're right, I mixed up their medians with Northwestern (I'm in that thread too). And I read tipler's post as at or above, not just above, so I guess I was only half off. Apparently I'm not reading too closely right now

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:28 pm

awilson11 wrote:You're right, I mixed up their medians with Northwestern (I'm in that thread too). And I read tipler's post as at or above, not just above, so I guess I was only half off. Apparently I'm not reading too closely right now

Not meant to be an attack, but NW's median is 3.8... :?

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Just got the wait-list email. OOS RD. Wrote why UVA. 3.49/173. Oh well. I really wanted UVA just not enough to ED and pass on the money I though I would get (and did) at umich. One LOCI coming up.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:33 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
awilson11 wrote:You're right, I mixed up their medians with Northwestern (I'm in that thread too). And I read tipler's post as at or above, not just above, so I guess I was only half off. Apparently I'm not reading too closely right now

From TLS article on Northwestern: "median undergraduate GPA is a 3.7." Not saying TLS is infallible but that is where I am getting my stats since its convenient while I am in the forum.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:39 pm

awilson11 wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:

From TLS article on Northwestern: "median undergraduate GPA is a 3.7." Not saying TLS is infallible but that is where I am getting my stats since its convenient while I am in the forum.

Completely understandable. Just to let you know though, TLS profiles are outdated.
Here's a thread with the updated medians: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=128236
And this shows straight from NW the new stats: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/profile/
Hope this helps.

happyfeet

Postby happyfeet » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:43 pm

one more OOS RD for the WL. under GPA median/over LSAT median, plus lots-o-WE.

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:47 pm

Sounds like UVA has had some major matriculation issues in the past. They are exercising extreme caution with admits. Sorry to all those who got WL'd.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:51 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
awilson11 wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:

Completely understandable. Just to let you know though, TLS profiles are outdated.
And this shows straight from NW the new stats: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/profile/
Hope this helps.

I see. This is definitely helpful, thanks. For me it only really makes me feel worse about Northwestern, but I did write (IMO) an awesome "why Northwestern" essay.

Anyway, back to UVa... hopefully we all hear something soon

whitman

Postby whitman » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:47 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:Just got the wait-list email. OOS RD. Wrote why UVA. 3.49/173. Oh well. I really wanted UVA just not enough to ED and pass on the money I though I would get (and did) at umich. One LOCI coming up.

I felt ok about my LSAT until seeing this. Exact same as you only minus 1 LSAT point, a Michigan acceptance, and Michigan money. Did get that UVA waitlist though.

boushi

Postby boushi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:28 am

I'm OOS RD, above both medians, no why VA, app complete 11/3 -> status updated 1/4, and I got an email yesterday (1/6) asking me to give the office a call. Hoping it's an acceptance, but, since I am currently doing a research project in Asia and in a different time zone, I haven't been able to confirm yet. I was really starting to glumly resign myself to the waitlist and am pretty stoked right now.

awahoya

Postby awahoya » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:22 am

boushi wrote:I'm OOS RD, above both medians, no why VA, app complete 11/3 -> status updated 1/4, and I got an email yesterday (1/6) asking me to give the office a call. Hoping it's an acceptance, but, since I am currently doing a research project in Asia and in a different time zone, I haven't been able to confirm yet. I was really starting to glumly resign myself to the waitlist and am pretty stoked right now.

Judging by the answer to a similar question a couple of pages back, it looks like you are- congrats!

Just got the WL e-mail. Non-URM, RD, OOS splitter. No why UVA, will start working on it now.

padthai

Postby padthai » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:25 am

T6Hopeful wrote:
awilson11 wrote:
T6Hopeful wrote:

Hope this helps.

Mmm, I don't think that list is completely right. Don't know where OP got those medians, but if you look here...http://www.law.upenn.edu/cpp/employer/about/ the Penn median GPA is 3.8, not 3.85 (unless they rounded down, which is highly unlikely)

boushi

Postby boushi » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:31 am

boushi wrote:I'm OOS RD, above both medians, no why VA, app complete 11/3 -> status updated 1/4, and I got an email yesterday (1/6) asking me to give the office a call. Hoping it's an acceptance, but, since I am currently doing a research project in Asia and in a different time zone, I haven't been able to confirm yet. I was really starting to glumly resign myself to the waitlist and am pretty stoked right now.

Yah, received an email this morning letting me know I'm in with $30k per year. Now I'm really stoked.

Anyway, I guess there is hope for us OOSers after all. Don't let the long wait get you too down.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:43 am

padthai wrote:
Mmm, I don't think that list is completely right. Don't know where OP got those medians, but if you look here...http://www.law.upenn.edu/cpp/employer/about/ the Penn median GPA is 3.8, not 3.85 (unless they rounded down, which is highly unlikely)

It's about 95% right, I'd say. Penn's median last year was 3.82, according to ABA data:
http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... BA2926.pdf

The Penn page you cited says in "recent years" (emphasis on plural years), the median has been 3.8. It makes sense that it's been climbing since then.

reversejinx

Postby reversejinx » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:40 pm

Saltqjibo wrote:3.7, 176 international

Got the WL today. Guess they didn't believe my why UVA? First I've heard back from anywhere. Hope its not a judgement on my cycle.

Wow, your numbers are amazing - makes me feel much better about being WL.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Finally in, after 4 months of UR!

OOS RD. Submitted early September with no why UVA. Submitted LOCI and Why UVA a few days ago.

Status Checker still reads "Pending Review / Decision 9/14", as it has for four months.

Postby 4102011 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:18 pm

duckmoney wrote:Finally in, after 4 months of UR!

OOS RD. Submitted early September with no why UVA. Submitted LOCI and Why UVA a few days ago.

Status Checker still reads "Pending Review / Decision 9/14", as it has for four months.

Congrats!!

Also, I just checked my status checker, and it's now changed to "Congratulations!"

UVA is adorable :)

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:21 pm

congrats to recent admits!!!

zephyr36

Postby zephyr36 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:01 pm

Just got my e-mail confirming receipt of my ED contract/letting me know that I'm complete. How long can I expected to wait for an acceptance, and when can I begin assuming that I'll get dinged. It's my understanding that acceptances come in pretty quickly. Keep in mind that I received my e-mail on Friday at 6pm Virginia time.

T6Hopeful

Postby T6Hopeful » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:08 pm

zephyr36 wrote:Just got my e-mail confirming receipt of my ED contract/letting me know that I'm complete. How long can I expected to wait for an acceptance, and when can I begin assuming that I'll get dinged. It's my understanding that acceptances come in pretty quickly. Keep in mind that I received my e-mail on Friday at 6pm Virginia time.

I believe they say 15 days from complete if you're OOS, and 15 days from verification of in-state residency if you're in-state.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”