UVa. Regular Decision Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ksimon2007

Silver

Re:

Post by ksimon2007 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:42 am

pixytree wrote:For those that want to know, spoke with UVA admissions today... they will be sending out $$$ decisions in the first half of March. good luck!
Good deal. I am hoping for good news.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Bronze

Re:

Post by R.R. Raskolnikov » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:14 am

pixytree wrote:For those that want to know, spoke with UVA admissions today... they will be sending out $$$ decisions in the first half of March. good luck!
Think it's better to mention other offers as a negotiating tactic now, or wait till they make their move? Don't want the well to dry up before it's too late.

pixytree

Bronze

Re: Re:

Post by pixytree » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:04 am

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
Think it's better to mention other offers as a negotiating tactic now, or wait till they make their move? Don't want the well to dry up before it's too late.
Anyone else have insight on this? I was told they don't have a "matching" policy, but I'm sure negotiating isn't out of the question.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:17 am

pixytree wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
Anyone else have insight on this? I was told they don't have a "matching" policy, but I'm sure negotiating isn't out of the question.
Wow, UVA is something else...

Reject everyone who doesn't ED or write "Why UVA" and refuse to even match offers from Penn and CCN. That's almost as bad as Cornell's sanctimonious "We don't give out merit-based fee waivers." Why do schools care about their yield so much anyway? If worse came to worst, they could always take people with high numbers off the waitlist who were stuck there for other reasons (like soft factors) to maintain their medians.

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Re: UVa. Regular Decision

Post by quetzal_bird » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Cornell gives merit based fee waivers

I e-mailed Jason Dugas. I don't have a scholly from any peer schools, but I included my Chicago acceptance in the body of the e-mail. He forwarded my e-mail to Dean Trujillo and said to send any scholarship letters from other schools to him.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:57 pm

niederbomb wrote: Wow, UVA is something else...

Reject everyone who doesn't ED or write "Why UVA" and refuse to even match offers from Penn and CCN. That's almost as bad as Cornell's sanctimonious "We don't give out merit-based fee waivers." Why do schools care about their yield so much anyway? If worse came to worst, they could always take people with high numbers off the waitlist who were stuck there for other reasons (like soft factors) to maintain their medians.
+1 to Cornell giving fee waivers. Also, UVA is known as the WL King, the Reject King is Berk.

Perplexed Penguin

New

Post by Perplexed Penguin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Ding'd.

Completely expected. This was my big reach. 168/3.3. Applied 1/21. Good luck everyone that is still waiting.

crankyankees

New

Post by crankyankees » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:09 pm

still waiting from 12/1. sent a loci, got confirmation. anyone else in review limbo?

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:11 pm

crankyankees wrote:still waiting from 12/1. sent a loci, got confirmation. anyone else in review limbo?
11/18 here...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alphamoose

Bronze

Post by alphamoose » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:40 pm

11/3. Not really sure what they're waiting for here.. I know the inevitable WL is coming

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:07 pm

quetzal_bird wrote:Cornell gives merit based fee waivers.
+1

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:49 pm

Jason Dughas called me around 4:45. They upped my scholly to full tuition. :shock: :shock: He said others will be getting this too.

sarahlawg

Silver

Post by sarahlawg » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:02 pm

slax wrote:Jason Dughas called me around 4:45. They upped my scholly to full tuition. :shock: :shock: He said others will be getting this too.
:shock:
awesome!! congrats!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

eaa1537

Bronze

Post by eaa1537 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:03 pm

slax wrote:Jason Dughas called me around 4:45. They upped my scholly to full tuition. :shock: :shock: He said others will be getting this too.
Wow that's awesomeee! Did you tell him to accept me while you had him on the phone by any chance????

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Nice! I need this.

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:06 pm

Thank you! He also said everyone on tls is accepted :wink:

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:08 pm

slax wrote:Thank you! He also said everyone on tls is accepted :wink:
Does this include people who were WL'ed?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:12 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
slax wrote:Thank you! He also said everyone on tls is accepted :wink:
Does this include people who were WL'ed?
Yes. And people who did not apply. All you need is a tls login name

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:17 pm

In all seriousness, I might just crack and send a LOCI. I just wish it would get me money, too.

bep244

New

Post by bep244 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:26 am

c_dubya_s wrote:
waitlisteddd wrote:has anyone sent a Why UVA or a LOCI via email? I sent one at the beginning of the week and never got confirmation, is that normal?
I think so--I didn't hear from them after I sent my LOCI via email until the admissions call. It might not be a bad idea to call them and check that it went into your file.
I sent in a Why UVA yesterday morning and received an email back from Jason within an few hours thanking me for it. If I were you, I would probably call to make sure they received yours.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:03 am

quetzal_bird wrote:Cornell gives merit based fee waivers

I e-mailed Jason Dugas. I don't have a scholly from any peer schools, but I included my Chicago acceptance in the body of the e-mail. He forwarded my e-mail to Dean Trujillo and said to send any scholarship letters from other schools to him.
I got a fee waiver from every school from Chicago (didn't check Columbia) through Georgetown, with the exceptions of Berkeley and Cornell. My mistake if they give out fee waivers to others.

Also...I still haven't been waitlisted (surprise, surprise), but I need leverage to negotiate with my top choice if Michigan and U of C don't pan out, so an acceptance here would be nice. Do you think an unsolicited "Why UVA?" at this point would help keep me off the WL?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:34 am

That's awesome (especially the bolded part :wink: ). Congrats again!!!

quetzal_bird

Bronze

Post by quetzal_bird » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:34 am

niederbomb wrote:
quetzal_bird wrote:Cornell gives merit based fee waivers

I got a fee waiver from every school from Chicago (didn't check Columbia) through Georgetown, with the exceptions of Berkeley and Cornell. My mistake if they give out fee waivers to others.

Also...I still haven't been waitlisted (surprise, surprise), but I need leverage to negotiate with my top choice if Michigan and U of C don't pan out, so an acceptance here would be nice. Do you think an unsolicited "Why UVA?" at this point would help keep me off the WL?
I can't imagine it will hurt

askyemcdonald

Silver

Post by askyemcdonald » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:51 pm

Oh UVA....where are you??

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:53 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Oh UVA....where are you??
They took a break from the admissions process to host a thinktank on ways they can even more effectively reduce their reliance on paper products...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”