In at University of Missouri

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
EstboundNDwn

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby EstboundNDwn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:41 pm

amg131s wrote: i got a sense that the admissions office was sent reeling when i received a "mizzou is still an awesome place to be" email this morning.

After reading the above cited article I also got the feeling that the Dean was a little more apprehensive this year. It was a sentiment like, "Really? Well, shit. Whatever. We're working on it."

After hearing all the good things about the school's reputation in the region I'm starting to wonder if its history is becoming a mask for some ongoing issues. And you would think that being so close to the state capital would make its clinical program a strong suit.

Then again, I'm just an outsider looking in, so it's really all just conjecture.

dctd

Postby dctd » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:43 pm

Anybody going to the admitted student reception in Columbia tomorrow? If so, I hope everyone has safe travels, and I'll see you there!

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:53 pm

I'll be there. If anyone's up for a drink afterwards, I'm in for that as well.

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:30 pm

Had to bow out of this one, couldnt get the day off. Everyone have a good time, and a safe drive ('specially those who choose to imbibe). If anyone ends up in town after April 15th let me know

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:44 am

So, how'd it go yesterday?

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:27 pm

It was helpful. The rankings issue came up a few times during the Q&A. Learned that they hired on two new people at the beginning of the year into the Career Development office and are bringing in four new professors at the beginning of next year.

So that's good, right?

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:57 pm

That is good news, it is a start. I dont know if it is quite so easy as just throwing bodies at it but it wasnt going to happen without a start somewhere right?

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:40 pm

I was glad to hear that they're doing something about their ranking, instead of just ignoring the drop. Even though it seems like Michelle or the student reps were a little defensive about the ranking, you could tell that they're working on improvements.

I opted for the tour over sitting in on the Crim Law class, and I was able to talk to the 2Ls that were giving the tour. The 2Ls seemed to think that those new professors they hired are pretty legit. I guess you can take it for what it's worth.

The school definitely seems like it has a great collegial atmosphere. You also can't beat free tailgates with the law school either.

JP84

Postby JP84 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:51 am

Here is an interesting blog post about mizzou and the rankings (written by a mizzou professor) that may be of some interest.

http://truthonthemarket.com/2011/03/24/ ... -rankings/

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:36 am

JP84 wrote:Here is an interesting blog post about mizzou and the rankings (written by a mizzou professor) that may be of some interest.

http://truthonthemarket.com/2011/03/24/ ... -rankings/

Good read.

Certainly an interesting first post, though.

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:58 am

That was a good read. I think it was one of the better explanations I have seen as to EXACTLY why they fell. Thanks for posting.

It also kind of supports my fear that it's hard to work yourself out of that spiral. Once you fall, valid or not, you have a harder time attracting students which can make your medians fall. Now, even if you correct the original problem you are STILL lower ranked because of the median drops.

It's troubling, overall. It doesn't really impact my decision, and in the great scheme of "regional school" placement it probably doesn't make a HUGE difference in any way because the schools in Missouri are pretty well entrenched in their roles regardless of rank. BUt it is still troubling.

dctd

Postby dctd » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:52 pm

That is a good read. Makes me feel a bit better about the situation.

legalprincess

Postby legalprincess » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:23 am

Just withdrew, so hopefully that will free up a little scholarship money for ya'll.
Seriously, even with the rankings drop, I wouldn't worry for a minute about the quality of education at Mizzou. It seriously is an awesome school. However, there is no way I can convince myself to go to class when there's snow on the ground, so bye bye Mizzou.

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:23 pm

::SIGH::

Lost LegalPrincess and Coach Painter on the same day.

:lol:

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:27 pm

Does anyone know if the seat deposit is binding?

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:22 am

EstboundNDwn wrote:Does anyone know if the seat deposit is binding?

You know, I have no idea.

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:53 am

I have dug through my materials and tried to research it online....dont see anything one way or the other. Spring break so emails are moving slowly. Facebook post, maybe? Cant access from my work computer.

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:57 pm

molazapuku wrote:I have dug through my materials and tried to research it online....dont see anything one way or the other. Spring break so emails are moving slowly. Facebook post, maybe? Cant access from my work computer.

I can't find this either. I already sent my deposit in, so if it's binding, it's binding.

I guess it's safe to assume that asking whether scholarships are binding is probably going to yield similar responses?

I'm still waitlisted at my No. 1 reach. Even if it's likely that I won't get in I'd still like to flatter my ego thinking I still have a shot at going there. :D

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:33 pm

Well...glad I got in and have sent my deposit and whatnot because my department was just eliminated here. Not intentional on my part but the boats have been burnt...

EstboundNDwn

Postby EstboundNDwn » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:46 pm

molazapuku wrote:Well...glad I got in and have sent my deposit and whatnot because my department was just eliminated here. Not intentional on my part but the boats have been burnt...

Sorry to hear that. Nothing like fighting when your back's against the wall, huh?

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:32 pm

There is something to be said for it. What did Sun Tzu call it? Deadly Ground?

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:48 pm

legalprincess wrote:Just withdrew, so hopefully that will free up a little scholarship money for ya'll.
Seriously, even with the rankings drop, I wouldn't worry for a minute about the quality of education at Mizzou. It seriously is an awesome school. However, there is no way I can convince myself to go to class when there's snow on the ground, so bye bye Mizzou.

To be honest I have a much harder time going to class the better the weather is.

samaside

Postby samaside » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:54 pm

Didn't realize there was a thread on here for Mizzou.

I'm in at Mizzou, too. Trying to get in touch with people about financial aid because I still haven't gotten the email/student ID/whatever I'm supposed to get to access it online. And, yeah, everyone is on break. So it's not really working out for me, lol.

Still not sure if I'm coming here or not. I graduated from high school in Missouri while my dad was stationed at Fort Leonard Wood so I still know a lot of people back there. Columbia is nice from what I remember of it and my little sister really wants to go back there and go to Mizzou badly. Of the two schools I'm in at now this one seems to get the most support from my academic advisor (possibly because she is from Hannibal) but I'm not sure about it yet. I'm just not too sure I want to go back to Missouri and stay in Missouri.

Anyone know how willing they would be to extend a seat deposit deadline if you were to ask?

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:02 am

I got the login, but I cant see anything more than my scholarship in terms of financial aid at this time. I have some emails out o nthat as well, so same waiting game you are in.

If your not sure about Missouri...Mizzou probably not right for you. Just not a lot of reach outside the borders. I did the same thing with Miami...3 years of now snow and proximity to beaches and palm trees sounded really nice. But 10, 15 years? Not so sure about that, my roots are in the St. Louis area.

manhattandoll8

Postby manhattandoll8 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:10 am

I would also say don't go to mizzou if you aren't pretty confindent that you want to remain in missouri for awhile. Unfortunatley, that is the reason I won't be attending. I grew up in Columbia and have been far away for the last 9 years so I was really looking forward to the possiblity of be back home, paying in-state tuition and living in my parent's house for free but I just can't commit to staying in Missouri for the long haul.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”