In at University of Missouri Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ford Prefect

Bronze

Re: In at University of Missouri

Post by Ford Prefect » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:39 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
legalprincess wrote: Missouri born and raised, SEC school for undergrad. If you don't mind practicing in Missouri, by all means, go to Mizzou. It's friendly (not as friendly as the south, but still quite pleasant), it's cheap if you can get in-state tuition, Missouri employers like Mizzou grads, it has a good alumni base (including many of our top politicians), and for its size, Columbia is pretty fun. At the same time, Missouri is not known for its glamour. We're a state filled with people who wear sensible clothes and drive sensible cars. We drink Budweiser, wear lots of North Face, drive Ford Explorers, and cheer on the Tigers.
We have all types of course, but if you can't handle the thought of being around people like that, you might want to consider somewhere else:)
Hmm. . .good to know. I guess I'll have to visit with those things in mind (I do like Coors better than Budweiser though). The portability of the degree is a bit of a concern, but if it's possible to get my foot in the door at a good job, then I'd be less hesitant to enroll.

I have to admit that working in Missouri would sound a lot better if it weren't for all the damned Chiefs fans :)
Coors is acceptable. Had you said Miller, then we'd have issues. And, from what I understand (live in and went to UG in the STL area) Mizzou tends to get more students from STL than from KC (as likely to go to KU). Thus, more shitty Rams fans than obnoxious Chiefs fans.

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:20 am

Ford Prefect wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:
legalprincess wrote: Missouri born and raised, SEC school for undergrad. If you don't mind practicing in Missouri, by all means, go to Mizzou. It's friendly (not as friendly as the south, but still quite pleasant), it's cheap if you can get in-state tuition, Missouri employers like Mizzou grads, it has a good alumni base (including many of our top politicians), and for its size, Columbia is pretty fun. At the same time, Missouri is not known for its glamour. We're a state filled with people who wear sensible clothes and drive sensible cars. We drink Budweiser, wear lots of North Face, drive Ford Explorers, and cheer on the Tigers.
We have all types of course, but if you can't handle the thought of being around people like that, you might want to consider somewhere else:)
Hmm. . .good to know. I guess I'll have to visit with those things in mind (I do like Coors better than Budweiser though). The portability of the degree is a bit of a concern, but if it's possible to get my foot in the door at a good job, then I'd be less hesitant to enroll.

I have to admit that working in Missouri would sound a lot better if it weren't for all the damned Chiefs fans :)
Coors is acceptable. Had you said Miller, then we'd have issues. And, from what I understand (live in and went to UG in the STL area) Mizzou tends to get more students from STL than from KC (as likely to go to KU). Thus, more shitty Rams fans than obnoxious Chiefs fans.
Meh...with InBev running AB now I really dont care what the heck you drink. And I also heard that St. Louis sports tend to be more popular in Columbia. Which does mean shitty Rams fans as previously stated...but what that REALLY means is the New Year doesn't start in January...it starts in February with baseball spring training.

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:26 am

molazapuku wrote: Meh...with InBev running AB now I really dont care what the heck you drink. And I also heard that St. Louis sports tend to be more popular in Columbia. Which does mean shitty Rams fans as previously stated...but what that REALLY means is the New Year doesn't start in January...it starts in February with baseball spring training.
I dunno...definitely way more Cardinals fans, but with football they seem more fair weather. So lately, more chiefs fans. In reality though it's a college town so it usually depends on what part of the state a given person is from.

ect88

New

Post by ect88 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:49 am

In general, the city and campus are obsessed with sports. Even though I love Mizzou, I find the feuds that come along with sports rivalries to be increasingly hate-filled here. People get bitter and downright hateful about the MU-KU rivalry, and I've seen multiple fights involving disagreement over which Missouri city has the better team.

If you're obsessed with football, this is a great place for you. If your self-esteem, however, DOESN'T depend on your school beating their rival, then you may find the campus's behavior during football season to be quite obnoxious.

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:39 pm

ect88 wrote:In general, the city and campus are obsessed with sports. Even though I love Mizzou, I find the feuds that come along with sports rivalries to be increasingly hate-filled here. People get bitter and downright hateful about the MU-KU rivalry, and I've seen multiple fights involving disagreement over which Missouri city has the better team.

If you're obsessed with football, this is a great place for you. If your self-esteem, however, DOESN'T depend on your school beating their rival, then you may find the campus's behavior during football season to be quite obnoxious.
Makings of an MTV reality show? Don't get me wrong, I love sports, and I especially love football (except for the bullshit-ass Chiefs), but the idea of a bunch of dudes with 'bama bangs, khaki shorts, and polos getting in fights while yelling, "y'all suck!" sounds a little out of my league.

Either way, I like everything I'm hearing about the area.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:28 pm

I will definitely give you fair weather fans in terms of football. I think for a lot of us in St. Louis the Rams still dont feel "local"...more like a mercenary team. I dont think we'll ever have the same kind of attachment to them that we would have had to the Cardinals had they stayed (though I am jusssst barely old enough to remember the NFL team we had before the Rams).

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:54 pm

Of course, there is the danger that, should Albert Pujols leave the Cardinals after this season, most of the state will cease to exist. A real killer on jobs, to be sure.

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:01 pm

Ford Prefect wrote:Of course, there is the danger that, should Albert Pujols leave the Cardinals after this season, most of the state will cease to exist. A real killer on jobs, to be sure.
I imagine that's what it was like when So Taguchi left the team.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:28 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:Of course, there is the danger that, should Albert Pujols leave the Cardinals after this season, most of the state will cease to exist. A real killer on jobs, to be sure.
I imagine that's what it was like when So Taguchi left the team.
We here in STL are just now recovering from his departure. Now the Pujols thing. It's like Europe between the wars here. Minus the blatant antisemitism.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legalprincess

New

Post by legalprincess » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:26 pm

EstboundNDwn wrote:
ect88 wrote:In general, the city and campus are obsessed with sports. Even though I love Mizzou, I find the feuds that come along with sports rivalries to be increasingly hate-filled here. People get bitter and downright hateful about the MU-KU rivalry, and I've seen multiple fights involving disagreement over which Missouri city has the better team.

Makings of an MTV reality show? Don't get me wrong, I love sports, and I especially love football (except for the bullshit-ass Chiefs), but the idea of a bunch of dudes with 'bama bangs, khaki shorts, and polos getting in fights while yelling, "y'all suck!" sounds a little out of my league.

Either way, I like everything I'm hearing about the area.
Unfortunately, we don't have 'bama bangs. Those require too much effort. We have guys in Abercrombie jeans and gold Mizzou T-shirts yelling "ya'll suck" instead:)
Glad you like what you're hearing. Missouri really is nice, it's just not for everyone.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:43 am

Okay, so those that were at the event tonight...who was who?

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:03 am

<--- Tom. I was there with my wife Danielle

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:24 pm

Matt. Glasses/brown jacket.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jer.smith83

New

Post by jer.smith83 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:54 am

Just got accepted after originally being denied. Retook Feb LSAT and got a phone call from Michelle yesterday! I'm kind of late to the game so I'm curious as to the process for scholarships. Do those come with the acceptance letter or do those come seperately?

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:29 am

Congrats! I waited a year for my acceptance - applied last cycle, waitlisted, denied, retook LSAT this cycle, in, win.

My roommate only checks the mail about once every two weeks, so mine came either two weeks apart or the same day.

Or they were in the same letter. I don't remember and therefore am actually no help.

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:45 pm

Seat deposit is in, housing has been secured. Guess that makes me a Tiger!

legalprincess

New

Post by legalprincess » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:39 pm

jer.smith83 wrote:Just got accepted after originally being denied. Retook Feb LSAT and got a phone call from Michelle yesterday! I'm kind of late to the game so I'm curious as to the process for scholarships. Do those come with the acceptance letter or do those come seperately?
Well, my scholarship came seperately from my acceptance, but my acceptance came in November (yes, I was one of those people who took the whole "rolling admissions" concept a little too seriously!), so I'm probably not much help here, either.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ect88

New

Post by ect88 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Ouch, out of the top 100. This affecting anyone's decision?

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:09 am

Nope. Doesn't change the fact Mizzou has a strong in-state alumni network. Also, they gave me money.

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:43 am

ect88 wrote:Ouch, out of the top 100. This affecting anyone's decision?
I was actually just looking into this.

What's to blame? How do you go from 65 in the 2010 rankings to 107 in the 2012 rankings? Is it the Missouri economy?

The low cost of tuition is really tempting, but for a tier 3? Ouch.
Last edited by EstboundNDwn on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ford Prefect

Bronze

Post by Ford Prefect » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:53 am

EstboundNDwn wrote:

What's to blame? How do you go from 65 in the 2010 rankings to 104 in the 2012 rankings? Is it the Missouri economy?

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... hools.html

Mizzou seems to have hurt themselves (at least last year) by being honest.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

EstboundNDwn

Bronze

Post by EstboundNDwn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:13 am

Ford Prefect wrote:
EstboundNDwn wrote:

What's to blame? How do you go from 65 in the 2010 rankings to 104 in the 2012 rankings? Is it the Missouri economy?

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... hools.html

Mizzou seems to have hurt themselves (at least last year) by being honest.
I can see that Mizzou's ~33% employment rate at graduation definitely hurt them. Also, the numbers were reported from 2009, which was pretty much the height of the recession lay-offs.

Still seems like a good deal with a scholarship.

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:44 pm

Yeah, had a bit of an "ouch" moment this morning when I saw the drop out of the top 100.

But, I think, really very little has changed. The numbers have an impact, and over the long term yeah it may be a big deal. But right now...SLU is still going to feed STL, UMKC is still gonna feed KC and Mizzou will place some all over the state including KC and Saint Louis. It is still going to be well-regarded in the state. It was a regional school at 67, it will be a regional school at #107 or whatever. If it came with that $37K bill for a private shool I would re-think, but if your in-state and want to stay in-state its still a good choice.

And if you thought that Mizzou was going to send you to BigLaw in Chicago or New York you were already wayyyy out there on a limb

dctd

New

Post by dctd » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:43 pm

While I hate to admit it, I can't say I am very surprised by the drop. Here's an article from this morning:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/201 ... -drops-in/

and another one from a discussion that the dean had with students after the huge drop last year:

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stori ... hool-list/

My big question is, validity of employment numbers aside, what are they going to do to stop the slide? Did they not fix any of the problems from last year?

amg131s

New

Post by amg131s » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:44 pm

my understanding is that the employment office at mizzou is pretty awful, and this is coming from well established alumni. there is also a severe lack of any clinical programs which continues to hurt mizzou. i've heard that some firms have started looking at schools outside of the state, such as u of arkansas for example, instead of mizzou. all-in-all just not a good day for mizzou law. i got a sense that the admissions office was sent reeling when i received a "mizzou is still an awesome place to be" email this morning.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”