In at University of Missouri

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
joshua1415
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:14 am

In at University of Missouri

Postby joshua1415 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:06 pm

Just got a call from MU and they offered me a seat in the 2011 entering class. My numbers are 162/3.23.

tourdeforcex
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby tourdeforcex » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:26 pm

congratulations.

User avatar
mjd
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:29 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby mjd » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:35 pm

Congratulations! It must feel fantastic to be in at a school so early on.

CMDantes
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby CMDantes » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Congrats man! That must be a weight off your shoulders to know so early.

User avatar
joshua1415
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:14 am

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby joshua1415 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:20 am

Thank you all. Yeah, it definitely feels good to be in somewhere. Though its not my first choice, I will definitely give it heavy consideration depending on what the finances look like. I'm from Missouri so I would get in-state which would be nice.

molazapuku
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby molazapuku » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:41 pm

Got into Missouri yesterday as well. I started my applications 10/30...so HUGE weight off. And it is my first choice in the "reasonable" catagory (yeah, there are some reaches out there....)

No word on money, but that in-state rate is awful nice. 163 / 3.21

kams
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby kams » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:53 pm

I seriously think Mizzou has the fastest turn around of any law school. Though I do think most tier 2 schools (at least in my experience) are quicker in general. When I applied I knew I wasn't going to attend, but I threw out an application because I was in-state, and I think I got an acceptance within like 8 days. Props to the Mizzou admissions team.

User avatar
Spinozist21
Posts: 522
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby Spinozist21 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:02 pm

kams wrote:I seriously think Mizzou has the fastest turn around of any law school. Though I do think most tier 2 schools (at least in my experience) are quicker in general. When I applied I knew I wasn't going to attend, but I threw out an application because I was in-state, and I think I got an acceptance within like 8 days. Props to the Mizzou admissions team.


I dont know...Penn State took just about a month to get back to those who applied Oct 1. I am going to put an application in to Mizz as well here soon...Congrats to all and good luck the rest of the cycle.

sissyclark
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby sissyclark » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:50 pm

kams wrote:I seriously think Mizzou has the fastest turn around of any law school. Though I do think most tier 2 schools (at least in my experience) are quicker in general. When I applied I knew I wasn't going to attend, but I threw out an application because I was in-state, and I think I got an acceptance within like 8 days. Props to the Mizzou admissions team.


Most of the lower ranked schools like Missouri accept certain people more quickly because they don't get many people with GPAs above 3.6 and LSAT above 165, therefore they accept anyone with those numbers and above in a heartbeat. I don't think there is a general rule that T2/T3/T4 schools accept more quickly. It's just that the good schools have the luxury of sitting back and waiting for people with great numbers.

molazapuku
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby molazapuku » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:28 pm

sissyclark wrote:
kams wrote:I seriously think Mizzou has the fastest turn around of any law school. Though I do think most tier 2 schools (at least in my experience) are quicker in general. When I applied I knew I wasn't going to attend, but I threw out an application because I was in-state, and I think I got an acceptance within like 8 days. Props to the Mizzou admissions team.


Most of the lower ranked schools like Missouri accept certain people more quickly because they don't get many people with GPAs above 3.6 and LSAT above 165, therefore they accept anyone with those numbers and above in a heartbeat. I don't think there is a general rule that T2/T3/T4 schools accept more quickly. It's just that the good schools have the luxury of sitting back and waiting for people with great numbers.


I agree with your theory, but I was beneath both of those numbers Not even close on the GPA. That could just mean the bar is lower, I guess. To be honest, I did NOT consider Missouri a given. I am a splitter, I was above their 75% LSAT but beneath the 25% GPA. Dont quite know what they saw, I applied to a TON of law schools because A) I could and B) being a non-trad splitter, I felt like it was harder to predict.

amg131s
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby amg131s » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:56 pm

in at mizzou as well...

User avatar
ect88
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:54 am

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby ect88 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:59 am

In at Mizzou :)

Very, very friendly people at the law school. I'm at Mizzou for undergrad, so if anyone has any questions about Columbia, I'll be more than happy to answer!

molazapuku
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby molazapuku » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:22 pm

ECT88, I am not sure if you meant the admissions folks or the student body...but my interactions with the admissions team have just been fantastic. Lots of personal attention, open lines of communication, timely responses, etc. They have been really been way above anyone else in that area, and I dont know about you...but given how de-humanzing this process feels sometimes I think it is an awfully nice touch.

amg131s
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:31 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby amg131s » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:48 pm

molazapuku wrote:ECT88, I am not sure if you meant the admissions folks or the student body...but my interactions with the admissions team have just been fantastic. Lots of personal attention, open lines of communication, timely responses, etc. They have been really been way above anyone else in that area, and I dont know about you...but given how de-humanzing this process feels sometimes I think it is an awfully nice touch.


agreed. they really like to stay in touch and keep the applicants well informed. i just talked with the oklahoma admissions office today for 15 minutes. same can be said about their admissions office as well.

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby EricBerry » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:06 pm

In as of Monday. 3.0/160. I'm definitely considering Mizzou, but I'd probably need a little scholarship money. Mizzou interests me because it is the second best school in the state and most WashU grads leave the area. Having a decent shot at both St. Louis and KC from Mizzou is pretty attractive. The campus looks nice and Columbia seems like a decent college town. I'll just have to wait til later in the cycle when I can weigh my options.

User avatar
ect88
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:54 am

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby ect88 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:19 pm

EricBerry wrote:In as of Monday. 3.0/160. I'm definitely considering Mizzou, but I'd probably need a little scholarship money. Mizzou interests me because it is the second best school in the state and most WashU grads leave the area. Having a decent shot at both St. Louis and KC from Mizzou is pretty attractive. The campus looks nice and Columbia seems like a decent college town. I'll just have to wait til later in the cycle when I can weigh my options.


Unfortunately I don't think Mizzou offers much by way of scholarships. Their tuition is already freakishly low as it is. But yes, some money would be great!

Columbia is a GREAT college town. Downtown borders campus and has tons of great restaurants and little shops. The only thing I dislike is that the undergraduate Greek life is extremely visible and stereotypical -- it can become irritating to see it everywhere.

molazapuku
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby molazapuku » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:30 pm

Look through their numbers and previous cycles, it looks to me like they do sometimes offer in-state rate to some out-of-staters. I don't know if you call that a scholarship, exactly, but I dont see much of a functional difference.

For those of in-state, I agree with you 100%. I as just talking it about it with some family,actually. When you say X school offered me $60,000 (20 a year) and they ask what Mizzou offered(or is likely to offer) you have to explain the small number. They dont seem to get that the Missouri is cheaper at sticker than school X is after the scholarship.

And that is what i am running into right now. I have received other scholarships, and, at best, they get close to Missouri sticker and when you factor cost of living at a lot of them...ungh. If you want to work in Missouri and are outside of the WUStL range...hard to not lean toward them.

moon7789
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby moon7789 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:14 am

I'm in as well. I found out the first week that they started notifying people. I was a little surprised I was accepted so quickly since my numbers aren't the greatest (157/3.37), but still in Mizzou's range. Admissions staff has been great...very helpful and friendly.

User avatar
soccerfreak
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:57 am

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby soccerfreak » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:50 am

I'm at Mizzou now, and am still considering law school here even though I have the numbers to get into much higher ranked schools, mostly because what I am hearing from lawyer friends in St. Louis is that Mizzou, SLU, and Wash U grads have essentially the same placement there, and it will most likely end up being free tuition.

Columbia is a fun town to live in, and ridiculously cheap. I will say there is a lack of options of things to do if you don't like the party/bar scene.

Sports are amazing. Football and basketball teams are both good right now and fun to watch.

Very impressed with law school admissions/professors...not so impressed with the students I've met there. They're nice, but not brilliant.

ryno8cubs5
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:24 am

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby ryno8cubs5 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:51 pm

moon7789 wrote:I'm in as well. I found out the first week that they started notifying people. I was a little surprised I was accepted so quickly since my numbers aren't the greatest (157/3.37), but still in Mizzou's range. Admissions staff has been great...very helpful and friendly.


I have yet to hear back from them and I have very similar numbers (157/3.3). When did you apply? I applied late October.

molazapuku
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby molazapuku » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:06 pm

ryno8cubs5 wrote:I have yet to hear back from them and I have very similar numbers (157/3.3). When did you apply? I applied late October.


I understand Columbia is still pretty firmly Cardinal country. Perhaps they are punishing you for your username? :wink:

Seriously though...I applied in late October (10/30) heard back just a couple weeks later.

moon7789
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby moon7789 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:55 pm

ryno8cubs5 wrote:
moon7789 wrote:I'm in as well. I found out the first week that they started notifying people. I was a little surprised I was accepted so quickly since my numbers aren't the greatest (157/3.37), but still in Mizzou's range. Admissions staff has been great...very helpful and friendly.


I have yet to hear back from them and I have very similar numbers (157/3.3). When did you apply? I applied late October.


I applied September 6th I think, so just a few days after the application became available.

User avatar
ect88
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:54 am

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby ect88 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:11 pm

Scholarships are starting to roll out for admitted students. Just got mine via snail mail today.

$9,000/year Top 50% to renew. (164, 3.7)

It's pretty generous considering they don't give out much money, but I'm not sure it's enough to keep me here.

moon7789
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby moon7789 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:18 pm

Very nice. Where else are you considering?

molazapuku
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:11 pm

Re: In at University of Missouri

Postby molazapuku » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:30 am

ETC...forgive if it has been covered, but I didnt see it in a quick search...are you a Missouri Resident?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, amberb94, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], grandpapy360, Jgats, mudiverse, Question12345, tinafeyclone and 19 guests