South Texas 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bartleby

Silver

Re: South Texas 2011

Post by bartleby » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:33 pm

doubleL wrote:
Mce252 wrote:Accepted via email today.
Would you mind sharing your numbers?
Got an email but was waiting on scholarship info. Not sure if they give it via snail or in initial email?

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:49 pm

bartleby wrote:
doubleL wrote:
Mce252 wrote:Accepted via email today.
Would you mind sharing your numbers?
Got an email but was waiting on scholarship info. Not sure if they give it via snail or in initial email?
They're "paperless" so I think the scholarship offer will come via email, and it won't be until the end of this month.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Tonio wrote:
merc280 wrote:ughh. still complete. I'm pretty sure now that they are either going to flat out reject me, or that my application is in some pile they aren't even going through.
Have faith, plus alot of my status checkers will change say like today at an hour ago and the update time says 3/8 or 3/9. So i think there is some sort of a delay in these systems. So who knows you may already be admitted

either that or rejected. I applied for the spring semester and the status checker didn't change till they rejected me, really close to the deadline, so im thinking its going to be the same scenario here. I really hope i do get in. Not really stoked about going to St. Mary's.

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:55 pm

Ah man that sux. If they wait till like March 28th to reject me ill cry, i mean thats just cold blooded. If you dont want me tell me

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:17 am

yeah im going to wait till the 20th and then send in my deposit for the other school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

doubleL

New

Post by doubleL » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:16 am

merc280 wrote:
Tonio wrote:
merc280 wrote:ughh. still complete. I'm pretty sure now that they are either going to flat out reject me, or that my application is in some pile they aren't even going through.
Have faith, plus alot of my status checkers will change say like today at an hour ago and the update time says 3/8 or 3/9. So i think there is some sort of a delay in these systems. So who knows you may already be admitted

either that or rejected. I applied for the spring semester and the status checker didn't change till they rejected me, really close to the deadline, so im thinking its going to be the same scenario here. I really hope i do get in. Not really stoked about going to St. Mary's.
That scares me. A lot. No lie.

roarthur

New

Post by roarthur » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:19 am

I'm different from you guys because I am South Texas or bust. If I do not get in now I am not going anywhere else. Ill try another LSAT and see what happens in the spring or next fall.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:49 am

roarthur wrote:I'm different from you guys because I am South Texas or bust. If I do not get in now I am not going anywhere else. Ill try another LSAT and see what happens in the spring or next fall.

Is St. Mary's as bad as I think it is. I mean it is the only law school in San Antonio, doesn't that mean that local firms all hire from the law school?

i know its not good to bank on transferring, but I want to try to transfer if I go to St. Mary's or South Texas, not that I wouldn't be happy graduating from south texas at least, but I still want to try and go t a better school if I can.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:34 am

merc280 wrote:
roarthur wrote:I'm different from you guys because I am South Texas or bust. If I do not get in now I am not going anywhere else. Ill try another LSAT and see what happens in the spring or next fall.

Is St. Mary's as bad as I think it is. I mean it is the only law school in San Antonio, doesn't that mean that local firms all hire from the law school?

i know its not good to bank on transferring, but I want to try to transfer if I go to St. Mary's or South Texas, not that I wouldn't be happy graduating from south texas at least, but I still want to try and go t a better school if I can.
Well the thing is, SA doesn't have a "big" market. Most large firms have offices in DFW and Houston, and some have satellite offices in Austin. This is just my general observation, but SA seems to have less opportunities and a lower quality of life. But I guess the small, local firms probably hire from St. Mary's.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:43 pm

txadv11 wrote:
merc280 wrote:

Well the thing is, SA doesn't have a "big" market. Most large firms have offices in DFW and Houston, and some have satellite offices in Austin. This is just my general observation, but SA seems to have less opportunities and a lower quality of life. But I guess the small, local firms probably hire from St. Mary's.
I'm not sure what you mean by "large" firms, but if you're looking for a job with those that are large compared to the others across the country, neither South Texas nor St. Marys are going to give any of us much of a shot at those jobs.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:11 pm

Mce252 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:
merc280 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "large" firms, but if you're looking for a job with those that are large compared to the others across the country, neither South Texas nor St. Marys are going to give any of us much of a shot at those jobs.
well at least in Houston there is a chance of getting a job with a larger firm, whereas I think since SA is a pretty small city, there wont be as many corporation like we have here in Houston with the whole oil and gas places.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:38 pm

well at least in Houston there is a chance of getting a job with a larger firm, whereas I think since SA is a pretty small city, there wont be as many corporation like we have here in Houston with the whole oil and gas places.
You're right; there are more opportunities in Houston. However, the corporate/biglaw jobs that you might be thinking of are very difficult to obtain. The jobs available to a STCL grad in Houston are probably similar to the ones available to a St. Mary's grad in San Antonio, but there are just more of them in Houston.

TexasGE

Bronze

Post by TexasGE » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:29 pm

Congrats to all who got in Thurs/Fri!!! :D Still waiting on a decision for me....bleh. :twisted: I applied part time though, anyone else waiting part time?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:54 pm

Mce252 wrote:
You're right; there are more opportunities in Houston. However, the corporate/biglaw jobs that you might be thinking of are very difficult to obtain. The jobs available to a STCL grad in Houston are probably similar to the ones available to a St. Mary's grad in San Antonio, but there are just more of them in Houston.
According to a search on nalpdirectory.com, there are 36 firms that do OCI at STCL versus 14 at St. Mary's. So it would appear that you have at least a little bit better shot at getting a decent gig out of STCL than St. Mary's, although I would agree that your chances at either one aren't that great.

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:36 am

jacketman03 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
According to a search on nalpdirectory.com, there are 36 firms that do OCI at STCL versus 14 at St. Mary's. So it would appear that you have at least a little bit better shot at getting a decent gig out of STCL than St. Mary's, although I would agree that your chances at either one aren't that great.

oh, 14 isn't that many. I think im going to visit St. Mary's next week, just to see how it is.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:12 am

jacketman03 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
Good info, thanks. That is the point I was getting at in my previous posts.

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:23 pm

txadv11 wrote:Good info, thanks. That is the point I was getting at in my previous posts.
Yeah, I would say they're roughly equal, but STCL's location in the 4th largest city in the country (and a very good legal market) makes job prospects coming out of their better.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:49 am

I'm battling whether it's worth attending South Texas over Tech if I don't get off the waitlist at U of H. I have a time crunch and I want to consider just jumping ship and heading to Lubbock. I have no idea what my chances are at Houston though. Anyone have advice?

For me to even consider U of H, I have to pretty much plan on being okay with South Texas over Tech so my wife and I can start moving to Houston and she can get a job lined up. Or...I just have to tell myself that I'm going to forget about a shot at Houston and move to Lubbock.

doubleL

New

Post by doubleL » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:48 am

So are we thinking we won't hear anything this week on account of STCL spring break? I mean this is a critical time for admission purposes, so I don't think it would be too wrong to think administrators would be working on their break. At least at my undergrad and its law schools, administrators and offices are open throughout its spring break. Im just hoping for a decision!

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:51 am

merc280 wrote:yeah im going to wait till the 20th and then send in my deposit for the other school.
Ya i second that notion, if i dont hear by friday imma drop my deposit in the mail on the following monday for my "other school" as well. :| These schools are cutting it way to close for my liking. Im going to attend a summer conditional program at Loyola this summer no matter what, its only 75 dollars and you take law classes from professors at the school for 3 weeks so even if i get in to loyola or dont based on my grades in the program its a great preparation for law school. i dont know if id go even if i got in but im a year removed from school need to get back in the swing.

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:01 am

doubleL wrote:So are we thinking we won't hear anything this week on account of STCL spring break? I mean this is a critical time for admission purposes, so I don't think it would be too wrong to think administrators would be working on their break. At least at my undergrad and its law schools, administrators and offices are open throughout its spring break. Im just hoping for a decision!
Just called they said that a few acceptances will go out this week, the very few that were reviewed last week and havent gone totally through yet. :roll: (this school is killing me, but least they all get a vacation while we sit here and stress and contemplate what we will do for the next three years of our lives.) I hope if i'm one of the lucky ones that get in this week i can get happy about it, im really soured on this school

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

doubleL

New

Post by doubleL » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:29 am

Tonio wrote:
doubleL wrote:So are we thinking we won't hear anything this week on account of STCL spring break? I mean this is a critical time for admission purposes, so I don't think it would be too wrong to think administrators would be working on their break. At least at my undergrad and its law schools, administrators and offices are open throughout its spring break. Im just hoping for a decision!
Just called they said that a few acceptances will go out this week, the very few that were reviewed last week and havent gone totally through yet. :roll: (this school is killing me, but least they all get a vacation while we sit here and stress and contemplate what we will do for the next three years of our lives.) I hope if i'm one of the lucky ones that get in this week i can get happy about it, im really soured on this school
So, I take that to mean they won't actually review any applications this week? This is killing me, its mid-march!

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:50 am

I thought several faculty members each get a copy of an application, and they decided, separately whether we get in or not?

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:53 am

Ya double l basically my understanding is no apps will be reviewed this week. The only people who will hear anything are peeps who were i guess done from last week or had already gone through the review process just needed to be pushed forward

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:57 am

I think a big problem here is that schools either require a seat deposit 4/1 or 4/15, many of us are wanting STCL (due on 4/15), but have our "back-ups" requiring money and a commitment 4/1. I originally said everyone would hear by this friday, but forgot to take into account spring break. So, I'll bet now every single person has heard before the end of next week. Even if you didn't hear until 3/25, you'd still have a week to get someone else money. Hang in there guys! I'm with you (in scholarship hopes)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”