South Texas 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TexasGE

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby TexasGE » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:22 pm

Tonio wrote:
abcd wrote:Ya I always thought South Texas was slightly better too, but then ive known some friends who got into South Texas but not Wesleyan so I was a little confused

Some or i should say alot of schools will turn down people they think wont go to the schools. So sometimes you will apply to a school you know you could get into or you scored higher than alot of the people there but you get rejected. Its so the school can be like we accepted 800-700 decided to attend we leet skeet

How do the schools know whether or not you will go? I've always wondered if they do think "well this candidate won't be attending here anyways, so deny."

Tonio

Postby Tonio » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:27 pm

its these peoples jobs to guess stuff like that. They have to be able to evaluate if u will be successful in law school, also based on your personal statement what you are looking for etc etc. But i was told by law school admissions people they will deny people they feel don't have a strong interest in the school. I always wondered if free waivers screw that up, cuz i applied to a ton of schools i had no interest in going to just because of free waivers. Maybe if they see you paid the app money it makes you look more serious, im curious

Tonio

Postby Tonio » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:28 pm

Todays a half day because of Mardi Gras so I will be checking my status checker later on if i hear anything let yall know. Other than that see yall weds (we off tuesday for mardi gras also) :D

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:31 pm

Well, my cycle for 2011 admission is complete, just withdrew from my last pending school!

Right now it is coming down to:

South TX
Tech (waitlisted)
OKC with huge scholy
Tulsa with nice scholy
Arkansas-Little Rock with nice scholy and resident waiver
Ohio Northern with crazy $
Mercer

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:37 pm

txadv11 wrote:Well, my cycle for 2011 admission is complete, just withdrew from my last pending school!

South TX
Tech (waitlisted)
OKC with huge scholy
Tulsa with nice scholy
Mercer

I'm from Tulsa, OK, and if I were to narrow your OK list down, I would say go w/Tulsa. I didn't even know OKC had a law school, and I'd imagine that it has a hard time competing w/OU and maybe even TU grads there.

Tulsa places mostly okay in Tulsa afaik. I knew some attorneys from there when I was in school at TU as an undergrad.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:41 pm

upfish wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Well, my cycle for 2011 admission is complete, just withdrew from my last pending school!

South TX
Tech (waitlisted)
OKC with huge scholy
Tulsa with nice scholy
Mercer

I'm from Tulsa, OK, and if I were to narrow your OK list down, I would say go w/Tulsa. I didn't even know OKC had a law school, and I'd imagine that it has a hard time competing w/OU and maybe even TU grads there.

Tulsa places mostly okay in Tulsa afaik. I knew some attorneys from there when I was in school at TU as an undergrad.

Yeah, I'm going to visit them later this month. At the point I've been to STCL, Tech, OKC, Ark. I haven't seen Tulsa (going soon), Ohio Northern (not sure about this one), and Mecer (ASW is same day as Tulsa, plus they need to offer $ given the 35K price tag.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:47 pm

txadv11 wrote:
upfish wrote:

South TX
Tech (waitlisted)
OKC with huge scholy
Tulsa with nice scholy
Mercer

Yeah, I'm going to visit them later this month. At the point I've been to STCL, Tech, OKC, Ark. I haven't seen Tulsa (going soon), Ohio Northern (not sure about this one), and Mecer (ASW is same day as Tulsa, plus they need to offer $ given the 35K price tag.

Quick Question. What do you think of little rock? I got in too, with the resident scholarship and a little bit more money which makes it pretty attractive to me, but every time i hear about Arkansas I see a little southern town. Is it completely different from Houston, or do you think a native houstonian could adjust there?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:01 pm

merc280 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:
upfish wrote:

South TX
Tech (waitlisted)
OKC with huge scholy
Tulsa with nice scholy
Mercer

Quick Question. What do you think of little rock? I got in too, with the resident scholarship and a little bit more money which makes it pretty attractive to me, but every time i hear about Arkansas I see a little southern town. Is it completely different from Houston, or do you think a native houstonian could adjust there?

I thought it was decent. I grew up in Dallas, but these are my talking points from a quick visit:
* Not the best area, especially the part surrounding the school-but housing and general cost of living is L O W, I'd compare it to Lubbock (economically).
*The school is an old hospital(I think?), that is extensively renovated on the inside. I would say the outside is not attractive, but the inside is on-par with most schools I've seen (been to quite a few)
*Keep in mind they offer resident tuition to everyone, however 11,000 is such a good deal for what I saw when I visited a year or so ago.

Seems like STCL would be 80,000+ more given COL and tuition difference. Then again, I'd be willing to bet job prospects, starting salary, and networking are completely different. If money wasn't an issue, I would have already sent my deposit to STCL, I'm just really, really, struggling with 100,000 (or more) in debt.
Think of this, 8% interest on 100,000 means if you paid 1,000 of your monthly income towards loans, you'd actually only pay towards the principle amount in the last 1/3 of the year!!!!

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:18 pm

txadv11 wrote:Seems like STCL would be 80,000+ more given COL and tuition difference. Then again, I'd be willing to bet job prospects, starting salary, and networking are completely different. If money wasn't an issue, I would have already sent my deposit to STCL, I'm just really, really, struggling with 100,000 (or more) in debt.
Think of this, 8% interest on 100,000 means if you paid 1,000 of your monthly income towards loans, you'd actually only pay towards the principle amount in the last 1/3 of the year!!!!

The cost of STCL is kind of worrying me, but the more I look, the more it seems to me that its worth the cost (so long as you're okay living in Houston after law school, of course), but the close to $100k cost is a bit scary.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:35 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Seems like STCL would be 80,000+ more given COL and tuition difference. Then again, I'd be willing to bet job prospects, starting salary, and networking are completely different. If money wasn't an issue, I would have already sent my deposit to STCL, I'm just really, really, struggling with 100,000 (or more) in debt.

The cost of STCL is kind of worrying me, but the more I look, the more it seems to me that its worth the cost (so long as you're okay living in Houston after law school, of course), but the close to $100k cost is a bit scary.

It's very scary and certainly isn't worth more than 15 or 20 grand in debt, at the most.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:40 pm

Mce252 wrote:It's very scary and certainly isn't worth more than 15 or 20 grand in debt, at the most.

True, and I wasn't saying that if I were in his situation I would necessarily choose STCL over some of these other options. My situation, on the other hand, is quickly turning into a choice between Texas Southern for free with no stipulations other than not failing out (thank you Hazlewood exemption?) or close to $100k debt at South Texas. I'm just not sure that free at TSU is a better bet than STCL at $100k.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:51 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:It's very scary and certainly isn't worth more than 15 or 20 grand in debt, at the most.

True, and I wasn't saying that if I were in his situation I would necessarily choose STCL over some of these other options. My situation, on the other hand, is quickly turning into a choice between Texas Southern for free with no stipulations other than not failing out (thank you Hazlewood exemption?) or close to $100k debt at South Texas. I'm just not sure that free at TSU is a better bet than STCL at $100k.

I would be very careful. TSU may not be worth attending period and South Texas will not get you out of 100,000 in debt.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:53 pm

Mce252 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

I would be very careful. TSU may not be worth attending period and South Texas will not get you out of 100,000 in debt.

Yeah, and if I wind up going to South Texas, I can probably limit my COL money to about $6-8k a year since my wife is so graciously willing to support me while in law school, I'm just in freak out mode since UH dinged me on Friday. SMU could really make my week if they would admit me...

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:54 pm

jacketman03 wrote:

Please, please, don't go to TSU. They are seriously 1 screw up from going back to provisional/no accreditation.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:55 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

Yeah, and if I wind up going to South Texas, I can probably limit my COL money to about $6-8k a year since my wife is so graciously willing to support me while in law school, I'm just in freak out mode since UH dinged me on Friday. SMU could really make my week if they would admit me...

Willing to adopt a 24 year old? :)

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:55 pm

txadv11 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

Please, please, don't go to TSU. They are seriously 1 screw up from going back to provisional/no accreditation.

Oh, I know, TSU isn't actually an option. If they were my only choice, I'd do an alternative certification and use my connections with schools in the area I'm at to try and get a teaching job.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:56 pm

txadv11 wrote:

Willing to adopt a 24 year old? :)

Haha, she's a teacher, and the next 3 years will be rough. Although maybe we could work out a roommate thing, we do have an extra bedroom that's not being used...

TT09

Postby TT09 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:52 pm

Mce252 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

Man, you sure do sound all-knowing in everything involving STCL. Care to explain how you came up with the last part? The only reason I ask is because I'm going to call bullshit on that...

massumeh18

Postby massumeh18 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:05 pm

txadv11 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

I know from people in Houston - attorneys - who say that they would never hire a TSU grad and that TSU does not get much respect in the legal comm. That's not to say you can't be successful as a TSU grad but it will take a lot of hardwork and effort to make a name for yourself---that is, unless you're like a Roger Williams U Law School grad that I know who had it made. He had a job lined up for him when he graduated so the school he went to meant nothing.

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:09 pm

i think he was asking about the "STCL won't get you out of $100K in debt"....

i know quite a few attorneys that graduated recently from STCL that are having no problem paying off their debt.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:01 am

TT09 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

Man, you sure do sound all-knowing in everything involving STCL. Care to explain how you came up with the last part? The only reason I ask is because I'm going to call bullshit on that...

I think it's common knowledge that taking on six figures in debt at a T4 is not a good idea right now. Of course my blanket statement is subject to a few exceptions, but the number of people graduating from T14's without a job is enough to make anyone fearful. Please see a simple loan repayment calculator to see how easy it will be to pay off that kind of debt.

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:28 am

Still no news.... :(

abcd

Postby abcd » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:49 am

They said April 1st the latest, let's hope they dont make us wait till then

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:20 pm

I am hoping for an answer by at least next week! :|

abcd

Postby abcd » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:23 pm

I want to call them again,but I feel like they're beginning to recognize my voice lol

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”