South Texas 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Mce252 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:47 pm

benzarden wrote:Is 50% tuition due tomorrow?



I was given a June 27th deadline unless you're financial aid award covers greater than 50 %.

tex1010
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby tex1010 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:06 pm

Has anyone heard any info regarding the orientation schedule? In particular, I'm curious as to what time the "family panel" will be held on Saturday. Also, has anyone ordered books yet? I'll be a PT student, and there is still no info on Browne-Barbour.

Paralegalonthemove
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:55 am

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Paralegalonthemove » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

h0peful wrote:anyone have a strong opinion on renting vs. buying books?


I have actually rented 90% of my undergraduate books. http://www.campusbookrentals.com is who I would suggest. I had a book that was damaged by the postal service, but called and told them. I was over nighted a new book and not charged for the other. I have never ever had any problems with them.

As far as savings, I have looked up my books for this semester ( I am part time) and total I will be spending $130 renting as opposed to buying just one book for $150. (I do suggest buying the Blue and Greenbook and not renting those.)

Paralegalonthemove
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:55 am

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Paralegalonthemove » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:40 pm

tex1010 wrote:Has anyone heard any info regarding the orientation schedule? In particular, I'm curious as to what time the "family panel" will be held on Saturday. Also, has anyone ordered books yet? I'll be a PT student, and there is still no info on Browne-Barbour.


Tex, I think we are in the same sections. :-) I went ahead and bought the Green and Blue books for Legal Research and Writing. (It's cheaper if you buy direct from the publishers).

I'll be renting the rest of my books starting sometime next week or the week after. Depending on when they tell us what books we need for Torts.

tex1010
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:50 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby tex1010 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:55 pm

Paralegalonthemove wrote:
tex1010 wrote:Has anyone heard any info regarding the orientation schedule? In particular, I'm curious as to what time the "family panel" will be held on Saturday. Also, has anyone ordered books yet? I'll be a PT student, and there is still no info on Browne-Barbour.


Tex, I think we are in the same sections. :-) I went ahead and bought the Green and Blue books for Legal Research and Writing. (It's cheaper if you buy direct from the publishers).

I'll be renting the rest of my books starting sometime next week or the week after. Depending on when they tell us what books we need for Torts.


Thanks for the info. Guess we won't know what books we will need for Torts until they officially assign us a professor. I don't have a professor listed for that class on Stanley. Who do you have for LR&W? I have Cooley on Mondays.

Paralegalonthemove
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:55 am

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Paralegalonthemove » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:17 pm

tex1010 wrote:
Paralegalonthemove wrote:
tex1010 wrote:Has anyone heard any info regarding the orientation schedule? In particular, I'm curious as to what time the "family panel" will be held on Saturday. Also, has anyone ordered books yet? I'll be a PT student, and there is still no info on Browne-Barbour.


Tex, I think we are in the same sections. :-) I went ahead and bought the Green and Blue books for Legal Research and Writing. (It's cheaper if you buy direct from the publishers).

I'll be renting the rest of my books starting sometime next week or the week after. Depending on when they tell us what books we need for Torts.


Thanks for the info. Guess we won't know what books we will need for Torts until they officially assign us a professor. I don't have a professor listed for that class on Stanley. Who do you have for LR&W? I have Cooley on Mondays.



Hey I PMed you. We are in the exact same classes. Cooley Monday, Kelso Tues and Thurs for Contracts and "TBA" for Torts.

User avatar
holliebell
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby holliebell » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Grad_Student wrote:
Kiwi3891 wrote:What is recitation?

I was reading on ratemyprofessor.com that Kelso does his recitations in alphabetical order. I can almost guarantee 99.9% positive that I would be the first atleast in the part-timers group. :?

When you get your first reading assignment you'll notice in the book there are only cases...no narrative passages about what the rule is or should be. Rather, it's case after case after case. These cases will lay out the facts, apply a rule and then apply the facts of that case to the rule of law. In recitation, the professor will call on a student to give the facts of the case and the rule of law. He'll ask a few questions of how the court came to their decision, what other cases have held and so forth.

Kelso is easy peasy. He'll ask for the facts and what the court held...that's it. He'll stare at the clock the entire time as well. You'll know when you are coming up.

Good luck.


Orientation is Friday the 12th and Saturday the 13th. What does orientation cover? It seems like a long time, what all do you do during orientation?

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Mce252 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:23 am

holliebell wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:
Kiwi3891 wrote:What is recitation?

I was reading on ratemyprofessor.com that Kelso does his recitations in alphabetical order. I can almost guarantee 99.9% positive that I would be the first atleast in the part-timers group. :?

When you get your first reading assignment you'll notice in the book there are only cases...no narrative passages about what the rule is or should be. Rather, it's case after case after case. These cases will lay out the facts, apply a rule and then apply the facts of that case to the rule of law. In recitation, the professor will call on a student to give the facts of the case and the rule of law. He'll ask a few questions of how the court came to their decision, what other cases have held and so forth.

Kelso is easy peasy. He'll ask for the facts and what the court held...that's it. He'll stare at the clock the entire time as well. You'll know when you are coming up.

Good luck.


Orientation is Friday the 12th and Saturday the 13th. What does orientation cover? It seems like a long time, what all do you do during orientation?


They just assign roommates and give our intake haircuts.

Paralegalonthemove
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:55 am

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Paralegalonthemove » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:18 pm

holliebell wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:
Kiwi3891 wrote:What is recitation?

I was reading on ratemyprofessor.com that Kelso does his recitations in alphabetical order. I can almost guarantee 99.9% positive that I would be the first atleast in the part-timers group. :?

When you get your first reading assignment you'll notice in the book there are only cases...no narrative passages about what the rule is or should be. Rather, it's case after case after case. These cases will lay out the facts, apply a rule and then apply the facts of that case to the rule of law. In recitation, the professor will call on a student to give the facts of the case and the rule of law. He'll ask a few questions of how the court came to their decision, what other cases have held and so forth.

Kelso is easy peasy. He'll ask for the facts and what the court held...that's it. He'll stare at the clock the entire time as well. You'll know when you are coming up.

Good luck.


Orientation is Friday the 12th and Saturday the 13th. What does orientation cover? It seems like a long time, what all do you do during orientation?




In the new student section of STANLEY they go over everything to be covered. "Housekeeping" Difference checks, how to brief cases and even a mock class. I can see where it would take two days.

User avatar
Grad_Student
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 am

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Grad_Student » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:30 pm

holliebell wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:
Kiwi3891 wrote:What is recitation?

I was reading on ratemyprofessor.com that Kelso does his recitations in alphabetical order. I can almost guarantee 99.9% positive that I would be the first atleast in the part-timers group. :?

When you get your first reading assignment you'll notice in the book there are only cases...no narrative passages about what the rule is or should be. Rather, it's case after case after case. These cases will lay out the facts, apply a rule and then apply the facts of that case to the rule of law. In recitation, the professor will call on a student to give the facts of the case and the rule of law. He'll ask a few questions of how the court came to their decision, what other cases have held and so forth.

Kelso is easy peasy. He'll ask for the facts and what the court held...that's it. He'll stare at the clock the entire time as well. You'll know when you are coming up.

Good luck.


Orientation is Friday the 12th and Saturday the 13th. What does orientation cover? It seems like a long time, what all do you do during orientation?

It's dumb. You go, meet people, they swear you in (that's cool), you have a STUPID mock class....read the material, the professor will call on someone and try to embarrass them. Main point is meet some people, go out for drinks and enjoy the first month of school. Be nice to everyone. You'll know these people for the rest of your life and your reputation is the only thing you have. It follows you forever.

So words of advice:
-Don't be a slut
-Don't be a drunk
-Don't talk shit about people you don't know
-Be nice to everyone

There will be people who will be a dick to you but fuck them, just kill'em with kindness.

Kiwi3891
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Kiwi3891 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:27 am

Paralegalonthemove wrote:
holliebell wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:
Kiwi3891 wrote:What is recitation?

I was reading on ratemyprofessor.com that Kelso does his recitations in alphabetical order. I can almost guarantee 99.9% positive that I would be the first atleast in the part-timers group. :?

When you get your first reading assignment you'll notice in the book there are only cases...no narrative passages about what the rule is or should be. Rather, it's case after case after case. These cases will lay out the facts, apply a rule and then apply the facts of that case to the rule of law. In recitation, the professor will call on a student to give the facts of the case and the rule of law. He'll ask a few questions of how the court came to their decision, what other cases have held and so forth.

Kelso is easy peasy. He'll ask for the facts and what the court held...that's it. He'll stare at the clock the entire time as well. You'll know when you are coming up.

Good luck.


Orientation is Friday the 12th and Saturday the 13th. What does orientation cover? It seems like a long time, what all do you do during orientation?




In the new student section of STANLEY they go over everything to be covered. "Housekeeping" Difference checks, how to brief cases and even a mock class. I can see where it would take two days.



Do you have a file path to find the orientation information on Stanley?

kbarry
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 11:38 am

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby kbarry » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:44 pm

How do the professors feel about their lectures being recorded? Do most professors allow laptops in class?

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby rdcws000 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:52 pm

The general rule is that you should not do it without checking with the prof first. Some will allow it, and some won't.

Another good question to ask yourself is whether you really think you will have time to go back and listen to it. I know some students who have recorded review sessions, which I suppose I can understand.

As for laptops, all of my professors so far have allowed laptops (Moore, R. Carlson, Rhodes, Rensberger, Crump, Field, Peters), but there may still be some out there who do not. I think it is safe to say they are the exception.

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Mce252 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:59 pm

.
Last edited by Mce252 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paralegalonthemove
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:55 am

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Paralegalonthemove » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:41 pm

Orientation is Friday the 12th and Saturday the 13th. What does orientation cover? It seems like a long time, what all do you do during orientation?[/quote]



In the new student section of STANLEY they go over everything to be covered. "Housekeeping" Difference checks, how to brief cases and even a mock class. I can see where it would take two days.[/quote]


Do you have a file path to find the orientation information on Stanley?[/quote]


Campus Life---Admitted Student information--- and read all of the info on that page. There are several headings to click on.

User avatar
Grad_Student
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 am

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Grad_Student » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:52 pm

rdcws000 wrote:The general rule is that you should not do it without checking with the prof first. Some will allow it, and some won't.

Another good question to ask yourself is whether you really think you will have time to go back and listen to it. I know some students who have recorded review sessions, which I suppose I can understand.

As for laptops, all of my professors so far have allowed laptops (Moore, R. Carlson, Rhodes, Rensberger, Crump, Field, Peters), but there may still be some out there who do not. I think it is safe to say they are the exception.

Is Rock now allowing computers? He didn't use to.

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby rdcws000 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:10 pm

Is Rock now allowing computers? He didn't use to.


Yeah we took him right when he came back off a sabattical and I think he told us he had just changed his position on allowing laptops. He wandered around the room behind people though and made it clear he expected the laptops to be tuned into civil procedure and not Facebook. No one really tested him on it.

User avatar
Grad_Student
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 am

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Grad_Student » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:23 pm

rdcws000 wrote:
Is Rock now allowing computers? He didn't use to.


Yeah we took him right when he came back off a sabattical and I think he told us he had just changed his position on allowing laptops. He wandered around the room behind people though and made it clear he expected the laptops to be tuned into civil procedure and not Facebook. No one really tested him on it.

He still scares me lol

Kiwi3891
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Kiwi3891 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Does anyone know where the Creme de la Creme Parking is as opposed to Pavillions. Looks like Pavilions parking for students are not the two garages right infront of South Texas building but the building on Main street. Is Creme de la Creme closer?

User avatar
Grad_Student
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 am

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Grad_Student » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Kiwi3891 wrote:Does anyone know where the Creme de la Creme Parking is as opposed to Pavillions. Looks like Pavilions parking for students are not the two garages right infront of South Texas building but the building on Main street. Is Creme de la Creme closer?

it is closer but it's negligible. I parked in both and liked Pavilions better as it was nicer.

User avatar
Grad_Student
Posts: 367
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:20 am

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Grad_Student » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:07 pm

With class starting tomorrow, many of you will never return to TLS or this post but I want to wish you all the very best of luck. Remember, it's a marathon, not a race. If you are doing enough to keep your head out of the water, you are doing just fine. Good luck and I'll see most of y'all on the other side. :mrgreen:

massumeh18
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby massumeh18 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:06 pm

So we made it through semester one with Kelso, Browne-Barbour, and Cooley...Almost done with semester two. Then enter Carlson (K II) and Field (Torts II) [and Evidence for those who choose to take it - Field also teaches that class]. Can't believe how fast it has all gone by and it seems like yesterday I was on here as a (hopeful) future student of some law school and today I am almost done with year one.

User avatar
1212
Posts: 208
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby 1212 » Sun May 06, 2012 4:22 pm

This thread doesn't look very active anymore but I'm working at a firm in Houston for the summer and looking for a place to sublet. Please PM me if you have anything or can refer me to someone looking for a subletter!

Thanks a ton!

User avatar
Mce252
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Mce252 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:19 pm

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
gigemgirl12
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby gigemgirl12 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Blog deleted.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Bing [Bot], Long shot hero, malysh, okf731 and 12 guests