South Texas 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
scherian11

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby scherian11 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:05 pm

I've really been lagging on finding a place, any ideas on some sites that will help me out? I'm not at all familiar with the names of all the locations (heights, midtown, etc) so using har.com is somewhat confusing, but I'm looking for something close to the school whether its an apartment or condo

noseinlawbook

Postby noseinlawbook » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:28 pm

scherian11 wrote:I've really been lagging on finding a place, any ideas on some sites that will help me out? I'm not at all familiar with the names of all the locations (heights, midtown, etc) so using har.com is somewhat confusing, but I'm looking for something close to the school whether its an apartment or condo

This is a neighborhood area map. STCL is of course downtown, so you can easily visualize distance from school for the different parts of town. As with anything else, it really just depends upon your budget.

The Heights is a fun, laid-back little area where people bike/walk to the local bars. Other than that, Midtown is full of a bunch of young single professional types but would probably be condo style and not a house. Montrose is close too. Good luck with your search!

http://www.houstonproperties.com/housto ... hoods.html

scherian11

Postby scherian11 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kiwi3891

Postby Kiwi3891 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:08 pm

A few questions:

Does our financial aid information come through the snail mail or email?

I logged into my Stanley account just now but I get an error saying "authentication failed for XXXX.XXX@stcl.edu. Has anyone else received that error?

Do your class registering info also come through email?

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Kiwi3891 wrote:A few questions:

I logged into my Stanley account just now but I get an error saying "authentication failed for XXXX.XXX@stcl.edu. Has anyone else received that error?

Everything should come through email. However, sometimes they just post stuff to your stanley without notification. As for class registering, the school will place you into a Section, A, B or C, for your first year so you don't have to do any registering for youself.

To check Fin Aid do this:
Campus Life --> Academic Services (on left hand side of page) --> Student & FinAid --> FinAid --> Award --> Award for Aid Year --> Select the year

To check class assignments do this:
My Courses: should show who you've been assigned to. If not, then there hasn't been assigned classes.

Kiwi3891

Postby Kiwi3891 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Grad_Student wrote:

Everything should come through email. However, sometimes they just post stuff to your stanley without notification. As for class registering, the school will place you into a Section, A, B or C, for your first year so you don't have to do any registering for youself.

Campus Life --> Academic Services (on left hand side of page) --> Student & FinAid --> FinAid --> Award --> Award for Aid Year --> Select the year

My Courses: should show who you've been assigned to. If not, then there hasn't been assigned classes.

Thanks a lot! Thats some good information but there is no financial aid info posted as of yet nor the classes. Futhermore when I try to click on email I get the error message "authentication failed for XXXX.XXX@stcl.edu."

I know my seat deposit hasn't posted yet but i wouldnt think that would make a difference....

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:55 pm

Kiwi3891 wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:

Thanks a lot! Thats some good information but there is no financial aid info posted as of yet nor the classes. Futhermore when I try to click on email I get the error message "authentication failed for XXXX.XXX@stcl.edu."

I know my seat deposit hasn't posted yet but i wouldnt think that would make a difference....

Just give it a few weeks. The admin tends to run slow, especially during the summer months. I would expect things to start to get posted beginning to mid-july. Hell I haven't even gotten all my grades back so I haven't "officially" graduated lol.

holliebell

Postby holliebell » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:33 am

Call the finaid office, it should have been posted by now. Did you get the email about registering? Class schedules will be out June 20th.

Kiwi3891

Postby Kiwi3891 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:04 am

holliebell wrote:Call the finaid office, it should have been posted by now. Did you get the email about registering? Class schedules will be out June 20th.

Yea I'll have to call them today along with the Stanley help desk as I can't access the email. And I have not received the email for registering. I actually just received my Stanley account information on Friday.

aham2005

Postby aham2005 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:01 pm

RENT $600
I have a room for a Town home that will be available on August 1st 2011. The Town home is 10 minutes from the University of Houston Law Center. It is located on 610 & Stella Link. The Town Home has 2bedrooms/2 bath. It has a kitchen, dinning room,washer and dryer a garage and a small backyard. The town home is in a gated area full of other town homes. The landlord for the Town home will be responsible for maintenance. It is just like living in a apartment. I will be going to LSU Law School so who ever wants to start the 12 month lease in August should send a message. The other room is vacant and has a separate lease. You will not be responsible for paying for the other room if you happen to live by yourself. I only pay $600 for a 3 story town home with 2 bedrooms and I'm by myself. So I'm lucky.

Go to this link to view the photo
http://www.homes.com/listing/133528765/ ... N_TX_77025

http://www.homes.com/listing/138117207/ ... N_TX_77025

noseinlawbook

Postby noseinlawbook » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:55 pm

Got admitted into UH. Letting my full-time seat go today.

Best of luck to those of you waiting to hear.

TT09

Postby TT09 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:44 pm

noseinlawbook wrote:Got admitted into UH. Letting my full-time seat go today.

Best of luck to those of you waiting to hear.

Wow, congrats on UH!

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Looks like the fall schedule is up. No idea if y'all have been placed into Sections but take a look!

holliebell

Postby holliebell » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:44 pm

Grad_Student wrote:Looks like the fall schedule is up. No idea if y'all have been placed into Sections but take a look!

Yup, we have the complete section schedules up on the facebook page. We get our sections on June 20th. Do you have any idea which section is the best professor wise? I'll write it out here so you don't have to go back and forth looking it up.

Section A

Civil Procedure- Rensberger

Criminal Law- Wheeler

Torts I.- Field

Legal Research & Writing-N/A

Contracts I.- Carlson, R.

Section B

Civil Procedure- Wilks

Criminal Law- Moses

Torts I.- Moore, S.

Contracts I.- Kelso

Section C

Civil Procedure- Taylor, C.

Criminal Law- Corn

Torts I.- Bauman

Contracts I.- Wheeler

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:54 pm

holliebell wrote:
Grad_Student wrote:Looks like the fall schedule is up. No idea if y'all have been placed into Sections but take a look!

Yup, we have the complete section schedules up on the facebook page. We get our sections on June 20th. Do you have any idea which section is the best professor wise? I'll write it out here so you don't have to go back and forth looking it up.

Section A

Criminal Law- Wheeler

Torts I.- Field

Section B

Civil Procedure- Wilks

Criminal Law- Moses

Torts I.- Moore, S.

Contracts I.- Kelso

Section C

Criminal Law- Corn

Torts I.- Bauman

Contracts I.- Wheeler

Good mix out overall

Rensberger: Very dry but still funny. Won't beat you up too much during recitation.
Wheeler: Toughest professor at STCL. Will make someone cry and loves it. However, a great professor.
Field: New guy, don't know anything about him. He's been around for about a year.
Carlson: Same as Rensberger or so I've heard...I never took him.

Wilks: Jesus Christ, get a supplement. The man is around 857 years old and SPEEDS through shit. I took him for evidence and I can't imagine CivPro being any better...good luck.
Moses: I've heard mixed reviews but never took him. Some say he's awesome, some say he's a weird creepy old man.
Moore: All I can say is look out. She goes on wild mood swings, leaves class, has breakdowns. I have no idea why she is still teaching....one of the worst at STCL. Her test is designed so you DO NOT finish it.
Kelso: Love him or hate him kind of guy. Very dry but you DO learn the law. I loved him. He won't look at students though....stares at the clock.

Taylor: Oh how I love Cherie's short skirts. She never called on one person in my section, she just LOVES to hear herself talk. Get a supplement and you'll do fine.
Corn: Best professor at STCL hands down. That's all I have to say.
Bauman: Funny guy, but don't know much beyond that.
Wheeler: See above.

I guess if I was going to go with a section, I'd choose C.

holliebell

Postby holliebell » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:02 am

Grad_Student wrote:
holliebell wrote:

Section A

Criminal Law- Wheeler

Torts I.- Field

Section B

Civil Procedure- Wilks

Criminal Law- Moses

Torts I.- Moore, S.

Contracts I.- Kelso

Section C

Criminal Law- Corn

Torts I.- Bauman

Contracts I.- Wheeler

Good mix out overall

Rensberger: Very dry but still funny. Won't beat you up too much during recitation.
Wheeler: Toughest professor at STCL. Will make someone cry and loves it. However, a great professor.
Field: New guy, don't know anything about him. He's been around for about a year.
Carlson: Same as Rensberger or so I've heard...I never took him.

Wilks: Jesus Christ, get a supplement. The man is around 857 years old and SPEEDS through shit. I took him for evidence and I can't imagine CivPro being any better...good luck.
Moses: I've heard mixed reviews but never took him. Some say he's awesome, some say he's a weird creepy old man.
Moore: All I can say is look out. She goes on wild mood swings, leaves class, has breakdowns. I have no idea why she is still teaching....one of the worst at STCL. Her test is designed so you DO NOT finish it.
Kelso: Love him or hate him kind of guy. Very dry but you DO learn the law. I loved him. He won't look at students though....stares at the clock.

Taylor: Oh how I love Cherie's short skirts. She never called on one person in my section, she just LOVES to hear herself talk. Get a supplement and you'll do fine.
Corn: Best professor at STCL hands down. That's all I have to say.
Bauman: Funny guy, but don't know much beyond that.
Wheeler: See above.

I guess if I was going to go with a section, I'd choose C.

You're awesome.

holliebell

Postby holliebell » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:09 am

If you have a chance here is the schedule and professors for Spring 2012. It really looks like section B is a brutal one.

Section A

Constitutional Law- Treece

Contracts II.- Powers

Torts II.- Bauman

Property I.- Festa

Legal Research & Writing II.- N/A

Section B

Constitutional Law- Alfini

Contracts II.- Carlson, R.

Torts II.- Field

Property I.- Moore, S.

Section C

Constitutional Law- Rhodes

Contracts II.- Kelso

Torts II.- Brown-Barbour

Property I.- Ortiz

Once again you're awesome!

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:57 pm

holliebell wrote:If you have a chance here is the schedule and professors for Spring 2012. It really looks like section B is a brutal one.

Section A

Constitutional Law- Treece

Contracts II.- Powers

Torts II.- Bauman

Property I.- Festa

Section B

Constitutional Law- Alfini

Contracts II.- Carlson, R.

Torts II.- Field

Property I.- Moore, S.

Section C

Constitutional Law- Rhodes

Contracts II.- Kelso

Torts II.- Brown-Barbour

Property I.- Ortiz

Once again you're awesome!

Treece: As you know by now, or will now very shortly, Treece is the school's "big shot" He runs the advocacy program in which every gunner wants to be apart of. He sits while he teaches which I find weird BUT I've heard it's pretty straight forward. Conlaw is a fun class but Treece isn't very interactive.
Powers: She subbed for my ProRes class one day and I thought she was great. She used power points and was very interactive without calling people out. Maybe it was because it wasn't her class but either way, she wasn't terrible and I learned some shit.
Bauman: See above.
Festa: Ol' Major Matt. I love this guy. I had him for Prop II, State & Local Gov't, and Land Use. His teaching style has yet to be perfected and he's only been teaching for 5-6 years so he needs more time to develop. I think he's hilarious and teaches the material very well. It feels like you aren't learning shit but just take notes and study the powerpoints and you'll do great. Take him for every upper division class you can, I think the lowest grade he gives are B+s

Alfini: He is teaching conlaw? He bumbled his way through ProRes so I'm not sure how this will work out. He is EXTREMELY smart but doesn't get the material across very well.
Carlson: See Above.
Field: I think I said something about him above, but he's new...don't know much about him.
Moore: Hahaha, see above.

Rhodes: The Dark Lord, The One Who shall not be Named, Rocky, Rocko....I could keep going. ABSOLUTELY terrifying the first month. After that, he loosens up if he likes your class. If not, it's a world of hurt. Have to stand to recite and have to stand awhile, and he will beat that ass. He kicked someone out for not being prepared. He has this look of death...he is frightening. But don't let him get to you...it's all a game with those hardasses. Take him for First Amend if you get a chance later, really laid back.
Kelso: Jolly old fellow...see above.
Brown-Braubor: NO IDEA?
Ortiz: Don't know much about her. Heard she can be rough in class but final is pretty straight forward.

In this one, I'd hope I got Sec. A because classes will be pretty laid back.

Kiwi3891

Postby Kiwi3891 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:57 pm

The admissions office said our class schedule will be posted on June 20th. Is this when we find out what section we are in?

What is the situation with the parking? I will be in the part time program and really don't want to walk to garages away from the facility. Can we buy a student pass for the year in the gated STCL lot? If so how much and where can I get this from?

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Kiwi3891 wrote:The admissions office said our class schedule will be posted on June 20th. Is this when we find out what section we are in?

What is the situation with the parking? I will be in the part time program and really don't want to walk to garages away from the facility. Can we buy a student pass for the year in the gated STCL lot? If so how much and where can I get this from?

I would assume that is what the registrar was speaking of.

As for parking, on the STCL site somewhere is a parking map of the options. The 2 parking garage options are the Creme De La Creme garage or the Houston Pavilions Garage. Creme De La Creme is I believe $90 a month and Pavilions is $60. They aren't STCL run. STCL does have 2 parking lots about 2 blocks away that you have to pay...I believe $3 in cash a day to park there and they are first come, first serve. I've never parked in them but I've only heard of them filling up only a handful of times. I would suggest getting a parking permit at one of the 2 parking garages...it's just easier.

Here is the link to pavilions parking: --LinkRemoved--

The other place is run by Apex but I do not believe they have a website.

rdcws000

Postby rdcws000 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:55 pm

Grad_Student seems to have given you the majority of the parking options. I'm not positive, but I think he was full time.

Just FYI, as a part time student I have always parked on the street. You only have to pay for parking until 6 pm, which means you never pay for more than an hour unless you're showing up at school way early for some reason. My parking usually end sup being right around 4-5 bucks per week.

The only time street parking gets difficult is on the night of a rockets game or something else big, and on those nights I just carry some extra cash and park in the school student lot for 2 bucks.

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:48 pm

rdcws000 wrote:Grad_Student seems to have given you the majority of the parking options. I'm not positive, but I think he was full time.

Just FYI, as a part time student I have always parked on the street. You only have to pay for parking until 6 pm, which means you never pay for more than an hour unless you're showing up at school way early for some reason. My parking usually end sup being right around 4-5 bucks per week.

The only time street parking gets difficult is on the night of a rockets game or something else big, and on those nights I just carry some extra cash and park in the school student lot for 2 bucks.

I totally forgot about that! Great option if you have late classes. Downtown clears out pretty much around 5-5:30 and aside from a few Rockets games, you can save a ton of cash parking on the street!

Beestinga

Postby Beestinga » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:01 pm

I don't know if there's anyone still holding out hope for being pulled off the waitlist, but I just got accepted to UH so I'll be giving up my seat. GL kiddos.

andrewb414

Postby andrewb414 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Forgive me, but what is a gunner?
It's not as if STCL sends out any information, what they do send out is riddled with typos.
Are gunners those that participate in the moot court/advocacy competitions?
Where is this information found?

Thanks.

Also, I got accepted into TX WES today. Something going on with their admissions process.
I have heard that STCL is the way to go, over Wesleyan, but since this board is full of STCL people, I may be talking to a biased group.
I've read that TX WES is working hard on their advocacy program and have been doing well. But I have hear that STCL is better for finding work.

Thoughts?

Grad_Student

Postby Grad_Student » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:44 pm

andrewb414 wrote:Forgive me, but what is a gunner?
It's not as if STCL sends out any information, what they do send out is riddled with typos.
Are gunners those that participate in the moot court/advocacy competitions?
Where is this information found?

Thanks.

Also, I got accepted into TX WES today. Something going on with their admissions process.
I have heard that STCL is the way to go, over Wesleyan, but since this board is full of STCL people, I may be talking to a biased group.
I've read that TX WES is working hard on their advocacy program and have been doing well. But I have hear that STCL is better for finding work.

Thoughts?

A gunner is the dick head who has to answer every question during class or make up ridiculous hypos for the professor to go over. Don't be this.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”