South Texas 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
softenedheart404

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby softenedheart404 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:23 am

Called them and asked them if they even had my application in their stack of apps. (Like I did last year, I asked them if they had lost my app...which, you know, is totally possible, given the number of applicants, so I made them dig for it, two years in a row...)

Last year when I did that I got an answer within three days of making them dig (I was WL last year). Not sure if there's a correlation between making them dig and getting an answer.

However, they did say I would definitely get an answer by the end of this week.

So, merc, we better brace ourselves!!

benzarden

Postby benzarden » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:28 am

So this question might have previously been answered, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

So I got wait-listed yesterday (wee), and if I get accepted I'm going to need to take out loans. Is there paperwork I need to fill out with the school to get these loans if I do indeed get accepted? I'm not talking about scholarship, just loans.

kayexpoee

Postby kayexpoee » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:34 am

benzarden wrote:So this question might have previously been answered, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

So I got wait-listed yesterday (wee), and if I get accepted I'm going to need to take out loans. Is there paperwork I need to fill out with the school to get these loans if I do indeed get accepted? I'm not talking about scholarship, just loans.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but all financial aid forms (fafsa, new student app and tuition equalization) need to be submitted by May 1 (or 2..not sure of the exact date). So even though you are wait-listed I would submit those forms - I sent them in before I even heard that I was wait-listed. Hope this helps.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:37 am

softenedheart404 wrote:Called them and asked them if they even had my application in their stack of apps. (Like I did last year, I asked them if they had lost my app...which, you know, is totally possible, given the number of applicants, so I made them dig for it, two years in a row...)

Last year when I did that I got an answer within three days of making them dig (I was WL last year). Not sure if there's a correlation between making them dig and getting an answer.

yeah, hoping to hear something by friday, well just two days left. I'll either be in this thread on Saturday as a future student, or just another random browser.

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:40 am

When is the next seat deposit due??? That might give some insight into ppl being pulled from the waitlist. Is it this Friday?

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:41 am

softenedheart404 wrote:Called them and asked them if they even had my application in their stack of apps. (Like I did last year, I asked them if they had lost my app...which, you know, is totally possible, given the number of applicants, so I made them dig for it, two years in a row...)

end of this week!!! WOO HOO!

merc280

Postby merc280 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:44 am

I thought the next deadline was in June, like the 1st or something?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:47 am

merc280 wrote:I thought the next deadline was in June, like the 1st or something?

Mid May.

Beestinga

Postby Beestinga » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:50 am

Financial Aid deadline = 5/2
Seat deposit 2 (and this may be based on when you got your acceptance notification. For me, it's): 5/18.

andrewb414

Postby andrewb414 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:59 am

My next seat deposit is due 5/9

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:04 pm

andrewb414 wrote:My next seat deposit is due 5/9

OoOLaLa

Postby OoOLaLa » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:31 pm

txadv11 wrote:
abcd wrote:I need some major advice. I got accepted to STCL but am reconsidering the whole law school deal. I have many friends who have graduated from Wesleyan and STCL and say that they are in debt with no job prospects and their friends in law school are in the same boat. I don't know what to do, or if it's even worth it.

I understand you completely. I just went through this debate and ultimately chose to go to a school that was financially more sound (for me), despite that South TX was my top available choice.

If you aren't on scholarship, and after talking to the STCL financial aid office a month ago, don't count on the TEG money, you are looking at roughly 50K/yr before interest.

So fast forward three years, assume you were a "decent" student, but didn't quite acquire top 1/3 or whatever it takes to get some money.

Your 1L year you take out 50K, at the end of one year, @ 7.5%, you now owe 53,750. 2L you take out another 50K, now make that 111,531. 3L add on another 50K, from my calculations, upon graduation you'd owe roughly 173,650.
(I assumed a combo of the Stafford at 6.8% and grad loan plus at 7.9%)

The yearly interest on 173,000 is 13,000. This is the big number for me. That means if you go to STCL at sticker, and live like they "say" the average student does (49,000), not counting summers, you'll owe 173,000 when you leave. You'll also add 13,000 in interest PER YEAR, until you can start making that prinicple shrink.
Put that into perspective. 1 year out, if you make $1,000 monthly payments, you'd actually still be at a LOSS, and actually adding interest. You'd have to basically pay 1100 per month JUST TO STAVE OFF interest. You won't even be working to reduce your debt, just getting by, paying 1100 a month.

This was basically my financial though process. I still undestand and appreciate someone wanting to be a litigator taking the chance on STCL. Hell, I almost did.

Edited to add, I didn't assume income based repayment or debt-forgiveness, because they have too many variables, if you chose to things could be better.

Okay, I so I was just looking back on this today and want to ask why you say don't count on the TEG $$$ after you talked to Fin. Aid. I was thinking this was almost a guaranteed if you met the eligibility requirements.

Beestinga

Postby Beestinga » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:44 pm

For the 2011-2012 academic year, the program maximum is $3,518 per school year. However, students with exceptional need (those whose Expected Family Contributions are less than or equal to $1,000) may receive awards of up to $5,277 in a given year. Awards may not exceed the student's financial need or the amount of tuition the student is paying in excess of what he or she would pay at a public institution.

not to belittle a free $10500/3 years, because that's some pretty serious coin, but it's a drop in the bucket vs. the ~$115k or so that the average student borrows to attend STCL

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:51 pm

OoOLaLa wrote:Okay, I so I was just looking back on this today and want to ask why you say don't count on the TEG $$$ after you talked to Fin. Aid. I was thinking this was almost a guaranteed if you met the eligibility requirements.

Well, I called them a while back, and I'll give you basically a direct quote from the fin. aid. rep on the phone, "back late last year (2010) we spoke with the state who said TEG might be on hold for a while, as of now we don't have the approval that funds are coming for 2011" Also, in speaking with an admissions officer, I was told it has actually been between 1000 and a max of like 3000 per year, so take it for what it is worth.

OoOLaLa

Postby OoOLaLa » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:54 pm

Beestinga wrote:
For the 2011-2012 academic year, the program maximum is $3,518 per school year. However, students with exceptional need (those whose Expected Family Contributions are less than or equal to $1,000) may receive awards of up to $5,277 in a given year. Awards may not exceed the student's financial need or the amount of tuition the student is paying in excess of what he or she would pay at a public institution.

not to belittle a free $10500/3 years, because that's some pretty serious coin, but it's a drop in the bucket vs. the ~$115k or so that the average student borrows to attend STCL

yep, but when you have part-time students (4years) with no scholly the TEG does make a big difference between you having to borrow and Stafford Loan + Grad Plus and you having to only borrow a Stafford. & if you work hard enough you could secure scholly $$$ after the first year :lol:

OoOLaLa

Postby OoOLaLa » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:55 pm

txadv11 wrote:
OoOLaLa wrote:Okay, I so I was just looking back on this today and want to ask why you say don't count on the TEG $$$ after you talked to Fin. Aid. I was thinking this was almost a guaranteed if you met the eligibility requirements.

Well, I called them a while back, and I'll give you basically a direct quote from the fin. aid. rep on the phone, "back late last year (2010) we spoke with the state who said TEG might be on hold for a while, as of now we don't have the approval that funds are coming for 2011" Also, in speaking with an admissions officer, I was told it has actually been between 1000 and a max of like 3000 per year, so take it for what it is worth.

Thanks for the help

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:57 pm

OoOLaLa wrote:
txadv11 wrote:

Thanks for the help

No problem. And to be clear, I'm not trying to create problems or untrue fear here, that's just how it was several weeks ago. They very well could have changed things since then.

Beestinga

Postby Beestinga » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:12 pm

txadv11 wrote:No problem. And to be clear, I'm not trying to create problems or untrue fear here, that's just how it was several weeks ago. They very well could have changed things since then.

i didn't read it as that at all.
it's no small secret that the state is hurting for cash,
and, you know, since students, teachers, and public unions burned down the entire global economy in 2008, they've gotta be the ones to pay for it.

jaw10

Postby jaw10 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:10 pm

Friday... Okay... I can make it to Friday...

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:42 pm

jaw10 wrote:Friday... Okay... I can make it to Friday...

If something happens on Friday I expect Rebecca Black memes in this thread.

OoOLaLa

Postby OoOLaLa » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:00 pm

txadv11 wrote:
OoOLaLa wrote:
txadv11 wrote:

Thanks for the help

No problem. And to be clear, I'm not trying to create problems or untrue fear here, that's just how it was several weeks ago. They very well could have changed things since then.

I totally understand, and after looking a little further I saw that it's mostly awarded to students whose family makes less than $29k annually so my changes of receiving the grant are probably be slim to non-existent.

holliebell

Postby holliebell » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:53 pm

Has anyone turned in the new student app and TEG for financial aid yet? I mailed mine and it was confirmed to have gotten there today. How long between when you sent it in did you hear your financial aid report? Has anyone sent in their second seat deposit yet? Mine is for the 9th.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:37 pm

holliebell wrote:Has anyone turned in the new student app and TEG for financial aid yet? I mailed mine and it was confirmed to have gotten there today. How long between when you sent it in did you hear your financial aid report? Has anyone sent in their second seat deposit yet? Mine is for the 9th.

I got a letter back about a week and half after I sent mine in.

Also, my 2nd deposit deadline is the 9th, but I'm gonna call them tomorrow and see if they'll bump it back to payday on the 15th for me.

andrewb414

Postby andrewb414 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:21 am

OoOLaLa wrote:I totally understand, and after looking a little further I saw that it's mostly awarded to students whose family makes less than $29k annually so my changes of receiving the grant are probably be slim to non-existent.

That is BS, it doesn't matter how much your family makes if they aren't going to contribute, how can that be factored in?

Speaking of that, my income is ok right now, but once school starts it's $0. Is that taken into consideration?

upfish

Postby upfish » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:37 am

andrewb414 wrote:
OoOLaLa wrote:I totally understand, and after looking a little further I saw that it's mostly awarded to students whose family makes less than $29k annually so my changes of receiving the grant are probably be slim to non-existent.

That is BS, it doesn't matter how much your family makes if they aren't going to contribute, how can that be factored in?

Speaking of that, my income is ok right now, but once school starts it's $0. Is that taken into consideration?

Not until 2L as I understand it (when you'll have made $0 for a year). Your EFC is based on what you should've saved probably. Or at least, mine seems to be. But I'm also an independent 25yo, which helps make it a more reasonable number (roughly $3k.)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”