South Texas 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jameslysirius

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby jameslysirius » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:43 am

merc280 wrote:
TexasGE wrote:Is South Texas open today? I hope they start cranking out some admits if so!

thought they were closed for good friday?

Lolololol! Law school doesn't close for Good Friday. Wanna know what holidays you get? MLK Day. Thanksgiving (Not really, though, because the week after is finals and the week of is considered "reading days" aka studying your ass off). Christmas (WOO!). And Spring Break. And I guarantee you, during every holiday, you won't be socializing with friends and family much.

From what I've heard, raperez's description is fairly accurate. I was asked by one of the STCL graduates at the admitted students reception if I was dating anyone. When I told her no, she said that was a good thing because I wouldn't have time for it. Hah! Law School IS hard work. If you think it's going to be like a continuation of your undergrad, you'll be in for a shock. But if you're prepared to work hard and understand that the vast majority of your time will be taken up by school and studying, then you should be fine. It all comes down to how much you're willing to do.

A friend of mine I went to undergrad with is working through his first year at STCL now. When I told him I was applying, he never once said "OMG rethink what you're doing! Law school is so hard!" Yeah, he studies a lot, but he seems to be enjoying law school overall.

beestinga wrote:alright raperez, but can we please get back to the most important issue - the thing that really matters - are there lots of white people?

HAHA! Thanks for keeping us on topic.

Beestinga

Postby Beestinga » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:00 pm

you're very welcome.
glad somebody has a sense of humor.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:37 pm

aham2005 wrote:
Beestinga wrote:that's so weird that people are getting denied stcl and accepted LSU,
or offered money @stcl but not LSU.
I was accepted to stcl and Waitlisted at LSU.
admissions are a weird thing...

The good thing about LSU is that it is cheaper to go there. Also the standard of living there is cheap in Baton Rouge. A good school and a low price is a good deal.

Did my undergrad at LSU. They're cutting the budget and raising tuition like it's going out of style. So I wouldn't bank on it being so cheap for too long.

Thank you Bobby Jindal (and all other Republicans). :lol:

abcd

Postby abcd » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:46 pm

Got into Wesleyan and STCL, dont know if im going to either. Wish I could afford going to law school :o

benzarden

Postby benzarden » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:46 pm

I went to Tulane for my undergrad.

Bobby Jindal is the man, I hope he runs for President in 2012. That man has done great things for the state of Louisiana, even a Lib should recognize that.

And have you seen our defecit recently? Tightening up budgets isn't the worst thing that we could be doing right now.

A12345

Postby A12345 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:32 pm

South Texas's employment numbers are terrifying

--LinkRemoved--

are this many people really considering going here?

Beestinga

Postby Beestinga » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:39 pm

is there a way to display aggregate data of all LS grads on that site?

abcd

Postby abcd » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:50 pm

A12345 wrote:South Texas's employment numbers are terrifying

--LinkRemoved--

I went to this site, but i really don't get what it's trying to say. Not to sound like a retard, but can someone explain it to me?

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:52 pm

abcd wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I went to this site, but i really don't get what it's trying to say. Not to sound like a retard, but can someone explain it to me?

It basically restates the USNWR employment statistics.

Beestinga

Postby Beestinga » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:57 pm

Click over to the Summary tab. It's much better organized and digestible.

A12345

Postby A12345 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:58 pm

abcd wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

It basically shows that only 4% of the entire class is represented by the 25%, median, and 75% salaries. The unemployment rate is more than double the number of students that actually have salaries reported.

benzarden

Postby benzarden » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:27 pm

These results don't show me much. They have very little data available, which means this is pretty indifferent. Definitely not something to overreact about.

But since I'm still on App Complete, I'll agree with you for the time being. South Texas is terrible, you guys need to withdraw now!! :wink:

kayexpoee

Postby kayexpoee » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:30 pm

benzarden wrote:These results don't show me much. They have very little data available, which means this is pretty indifferent. Definitely not something to overreact about.

But since I'm still on App Complete, I'll agree with you for the time being. South Texas is terrible, you guys need to withdraw now!! :wink:

Well, at least there's only one more week of wondering. There's only so much work I can neglect while compulsively checking my e-mail everytime I see (1).

SoccerIsTiring

Postby SoccerIsTiring » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:31 pm

Still no word. Do you know if decisions are sent at random or end of the day?

holliebell

Postby holliebell » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Just sent in my 2 financial aid forms. Does anyone know how they do financial aid? How long will it take to know anything, will it be via email or snail mail, etc?

The only real loan options (besides private) are Stafford and GradPlus right? Stafford being $20,500 max.

Did anyone see the new chart on tuition? Tuition went up ($875/hour as compared to $858/hour last year) but they now allow less for cost of living so the total value went down to $48,000/year.

Paralegalonthemove

Postby Paralegalonthemove » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:46 pm

I work for a South Texas Graduate, and several of my undergraduate instructors were South Texas Graduates.

None of my instructors had problems finding jobs and in all honesty, they are not doing bad for themselves at all.

I even know several recent South Texas Graduates, and all were employed within a month of passing the bar.

Frankly, South Texas isn't a bad school.....but they do require you to work as most schools do.

Paralegalonthemove

Postby Paralegalonthemove » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:52 pm

raperez129 wrote:I'm a lurker, but after my first PT year at STCL, here's what I have to say....

1) If you want to go to law school to be a lawyer to get a big check, don't do it.

2) As much as you *think* you are ready for law school, you have no idea what you are in for.

3) Be ready to sacrifice everything. I do mean everything. No life, no entertainment, no relaxation. Ever. Before it is all over, there will be people in your section that get a divorce, loose their family, whatever. It's very, very sad.

I agree. My boss told me of one gentleman in her class that developed leukemia and died while in school. It was awful. But I have never heard of anyone who got through law school their first year while having a life.

For those in it just simply for the money, You should choose a different path.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:04 pm

benzarden wrote:I went to Tulane for my undergrad.

Bobby Jindal is the man, I hope he runs for President in 2012. That man has done great things for the state of Louisiana, even a Lib should recognize that.

And have you seen our defecit recently? Tightening up budgets isn't the worst thing that we could be doing right now.

That's funny. Being blind to reality must be nice.

Also state budgets are state budgets. The federal budget is an entirely separate thing. HTH.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:09 pm

Secondly, what great things has Jindal done for Louisiana?

Please name me anything, because from my three years spent there, Louisiana is literally the most terribly run state I have ever known.

benzarden

Postby benzarden » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:15 pm

Wanting endless government spending with no repercussions is blind to reality. Who doesn't want everything for free? But the reality is that resources are limited and not everybody can have everything they want. We are entitled to inalienable rights. Is higher education an inalienable right?

And you're right, state budgets and federal budets are seperate, but does that mean that the state of Louisiana is not in debt? I think not. Especially after the spill in the gulf crushed its main economic lifeline.

benzarden

Postby benzarden » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:20 pm

Louisiana has been 'the most terribly run state' since it was purchased for $15 million dollars.

It's a shithole swampland known for its 'culture' and corrupt governments. I don't think Louisiana becomming the most terribly run state was Bobby Jindal's doing.

Beestinga

Postby Beestinga » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:23 pm

There has got to be a more appropriate place to discuss Louisianan politics and fiscal policy than the South Texas College of Law thread of a law school-oriented forum. :arrow:

benzarden

Postby benzarden » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:25 pm

Beestinga wrote:There has got to be a more appropriate place to discuss Louisianan politics and fiscal policy than the South Texas College of Law thread of a law school-oriented forum. :arrow:

You're right, instead we should continue the discussions of:

A: Did you hear anything today?
B: Nope, did you?
A: Nope.
C: I don't know if I want to be a lawyer, tell me what to do.
D: I don't know if I want to go to STLC or Texas Tech, tell me what to do.

Beestinga

Postby Beestinga » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:29 pm

benzarden wrote:
Beestinga wrote:There has got to be a more appropriate place to discuss Louisianan politics and fiscal policy than the South Texas College of Law thread of a law school-oriented forum. :arrow:

You're right, instead we should continue the discussions of:

B: Nope, did you?
A: Nope.
C: I don't know if I want to be a lawyer, tell me what to do.
D: I don't know if I want to go to STLC or Texas Tech, tell me what to do.

you forgot
E: based on my not being a lawyer or never having been to law school, I'm going to go ahead and say that you are unfit to be a lawyer.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:27 pm

benzarden wrote:Wanting endless government spending with no repercussions is blind to reality. Who doesn't want everything for free? But the reality is that resources are limited and not everybody can have everything they want. We are entitled to inalienable rights. Is higher education an inalienable right?

And you're right, state budgets and federal budets are seperate, but does that mean that the state of Louisiana is not in debt? I think not. Especially after the spill in the gulf crushed its main economic lifeline.

Who was talking about government spending? Reverting to Republican response 101 doesn't really help in this situation. I'm surprised you didn't bring up Obama's birth certificate too.

And cutting state budgets is all good and well until you cut higher education to the point where it's unrecognizable and all your grads leave the state because there isn't any reason to stay.

I guess I mistakenly assumed that the job of governer was to make your state better. My bad.

Also, Trump for President 2012.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”