South Texas 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
IHaveLawyers

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby IHaveLawyers » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:17 pm

Hey guys, I will be withdrawing from South Texas today, I also got a hefty scholarship so this should free up money for you guys!

Good luck!

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:21 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:Hey guys, I will be withdrawing from South Texas today, I also got a hefty scholarship so this should free up money for you guys!

Good luck!

I heard the money doesn't really get redistributed though. Which school did you decide on going to?

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:29 pm

Beestinga wrote:So, you know that nightmare you have when you're a student? Where, in the dream, you wake up and realize that you have a final in a class that you haven't been to all semester?
Well, that kind of happened to me in college, for real (twice, actually, but I'll just tell about this once as it is the most relevant) - we have a community college in town that I took my tech writing class at. 3 hours, 4.0, no problem. Well, another semester I was thinking about taking another class there (Spanish, I think), so I signed up for the class. After I'd paid for the class and couldn't get a refund, I ran the numbers and concluded that it wasn't any benefit for me to take the class then. Now, my community college gpa didn't transfer to A&M. Only pass/fail credits, and I wasn't going to get a refund for the class, so I just didn't go.

So, I get an email today from STCL - Oh, Mr. Beestinga, there seems to be a discrepency with your application. Your transcript shows that you were placed on academic probation at Blinn college in 2006, but on your application, you checked that you've never been disciplined or placed on probation - what gives?
Having completely forgotten about the second semester at Blinn, I respond assuring that I'll look into it and that it's probably a block from an unpaid parking ticket or something.
Then I look at the transcript: 3 hours @ 4.0. 4 hours @ 0. <2.0 gpa gets you on probation.
FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

So, now I'm waiting to get the lady who emailed me on the horn to try to explain.
Regardless, though, this definitely doesn't look good. I was a screw-up back then, and I'm very open about that. It's still a bummer, though, that this thoughtless mistake is likely going to cost me my seat.

The funny thing is, none of the other schools I applied to caught this or asked me about it.

tldr; i accidentally lied on my application. shit.

Almost the same thing happened to me, when I got out of the Marine Corps and started going to school, the community college that I started at had a higher requirement for the math part of the Accuplacer than any other school in the state, and I missed their cutoff, so they made me take a developmental math class, which I forgot to drop when I realized that there was no point in taking the class. Turns out the 3 hour F that wouldn't transfer anywhere (or even count at that school for anything) made my GPA for my first semester a 1.8, and I was on probation over the summer semester, which I never figured out since I took classes and got all A's over the summer, then transferred to Blinndergarden. So I start sending out my apps to law schools, and I didn't put the academic probation from the first school because I didn't even know it had happened. One of the schools caught it and emailed me about it, so I wrote up an addendum to it and sent that to all of the schools I had applied to, and they just added it to the file.

tl;dr-I wouldn't think it would make much of a difference, since it didn't see to in my case.

Beestinga

Postby Beestinga » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:35 pm

I just got off the phone with the lady.
She pretty much took the reigns for the call. I was ready and nervous and anxious but trying to be as charismatic and charming as possible, and she was just like "yea, you were only there 2 semesters. We see this pretty often. Just write me an email and I'll pass it on." She was very relaxed and reassuring about the whole thing, for which I was grateful.
So, I wrote up my piece and sent it off. I also sent emails to the schools to which I've been accepted and waitlisted.

Nothin' else to do now but go back to waiting to hear.

andrewb414

Postby andrewb414 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:00 pm

This interesting. One can run Windows on a Mac, so that's not too big of a worry. But why would they use software that isn't compatible? Considering Apple's growth in PC market share over the last 3-4 years.

angie979 wrote:
upfish wrote:
maxm2764 wrote:
andrewb414 wrote:Does anyone know if STCL has discounts available for computer and software purchases?

I don't know but I hope so. The 15' MBP is damn expensive.

A 15' MBP would be pretty expensive, for sure! :lol:

Just go to apple.com/education and search for STCL. It's there, I think! I bought a 13" MBP w/the education discount a couple weeks ago.

When I went on a tour of the school they told me something along the lines of a change to the testing software that would not be compatible with apple computers. They advised me against buying an apple. I'm not so sure about the details but I would check with the school prior to buying a new computer to make sure you won't have any problems.

Beestinga

Postby Beestinga » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:03 pm

andrewb414 wrote:This interesting. One can run Windows on a Mac, so that's not too big of a worry. But why would they use software that isn't compatible? Considering Apple's growth in PC market share over the last 3-4 years.

it's written in flash :wink:

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:06 pm

is it too much of a hassle running around with a 15.4 inch laptop? Im wondering if i should use my dell netbook or big toshiba. The Dell is annoying to type on and is pretty unreliable.

andrewb414

Postby andrewb414 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:21 pm

Flash works fine on a mac, just not on the iphone or ipad.
Funny though :)

Beestinga wrote:
andrewb414 wrote:This interesting. One can run Windows on a Mac, so that's not too big of a worry. But why would they use software that isn't compatible? Considering Apple's growth in PC market share over the last 3-4 years.

it's written in flash :wink:

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:25 pm

angie979 wrote:
upfish wrote:
maxm2764 wrote:
andrewb414 wrote:Does anyone know if STCL has discounts available for computer and software purchases?

I don't know but I hope so. The 15' MBP is damn expensive.

Just go to apple.com/education and search for STCL. It's there, I think! I bought a 13" MBP w/the education discount a couple weeks ago.

When I went on a tour of the school they told me something along the lines of a change to the testing software that would not be compatible with apple computers. They advised me against buying an apple. I'm not so sure about the details but I would check with the school prior to buying a new computer to make sure you won't have any problems.

Bootcamp or parallels, FTW.

I'd rather write my exam by hand rather than buy a crap PC that I'll have to replace every year. 15' MBP for me. Expensive or not, that computer will last a long long time.

andrewb414

Postby andrewb414 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:40 pm

I agree 100%
I was a Peace Corps Volunteer and lived in the jungles of Ecuador for 2 years.
My first generation Intel MBP worked great the entire time (when I could charge the battery) and it is still working today. The only problem I had was I needed to have the inside cleaned out because of all the insects that had crawled in there and died. Even then, that problem only affected the left shift on my keyboard.
Not one other PCV who was in country with me, living in much better conditions even, had a PC that lived through the experience.
Well made and virus free, I'm sold forever.

maxm2764 wrote:
angie979 wrote:
upfish wrote:
maxm2764 wrote:

Bootcamp or parallels, FTW.

I'd rather write my exam by hand rather than buy a crap PC that I'll have to replace every year. 15' MBP for me. Expensive or not, that computer will last a long long time.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:44 pm

^

I like you.

h0peful

Postby h0peful » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:48 pm

Found a little information about computers at STCL -

http://www.stcl.edu/admissions/newstudents/computer_guidlines.htm

Heard some concerns that testing software wouldn't work on Macs, but it looks like SofTest will run on a Macbook:

http://www.stcl.edu/registrar/exam_soft_faq.html

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:51 pm

Is "MBP" Mac Book Pro??

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:52 pm

TexasGE wrote:Is "MBP" Mac Book Pro??

Yup.

upfish

Postby upfish » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:00 pm

For clarity, my joke about the MBP was related to the use of ' instead of ", and not the actual cost of a 15".

I love my 13". Not as much as I loved my 12" PB, but sometimes you just gotta let go.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:08 pm

upfish wrote:For clarity, my joke about the MBP was related to the use of ' instead of ", and not the actual cost of a 15".

I love my 13". Not as much as I loved my 12" PB, but sometimes you just gotta let go.

You got me. pwned. :D

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Jeez I feel bad. All of you are like ex-military or peace core, or teachers and career professionals. I don't have any experience, besides low-level legal work and my undergrad.
:oops: :( :?

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:16 pm

txadv11 wrote:Jeez I feel bad. All of you are like ex-military or peace core, or teachers and career professionals. I don't have any experience, besides low-level legal work and my undergrad.

+1.

Beestinga

Postby Beestinga » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:20 pm

don't worry. all of this experience just means that we're older and fatter and dumber and don't learn things as fast.
well, the marines thing...that probably doesn't mean that.....

gigemgirl12

Postby gigemgirl12 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:22 pm

txadv11 wrote:Jeez I feel bad. All of you are like ex-military or peace core, or teachers and career professionals. I don't have any experience, besides low-level legal work and my undergrad.

No worries- I graduated Texas A&M Dec '09 and am now working at a firm in west Houston. Same.

Still app complete. I really hope tomorrow brings some change!

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:26 pm

is there actually going to be a day that we can definitely be sure we might get a decision, or is it possible to be app complete till june.

Beestinga

Postby Beestinga » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:45 pm

what people have been saying is that they could go through to the end of April.

lucygirl

Postby lucygirl » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:52 pm

merc280 wrote:is there actually going to be a day that we can definitely be sure we might get a decision, or is it possible to be app complete till june.

this is the e-mail i got awhile back:
Our records indicate that your file is currently complete and eligible for review. The Admissions Committee has started the review process for the fall 2011 semester and will continue until all files have been reviewed. You may expect a decision anytime between now and the end of April. Please be aware that decisions will be sent via e-mail.

andrewb414

Postby andrewb414 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:02 pm

My next deposit is due 5/9/11 and I would bet that more decisions will be sent out that day when people don't send in checks.

libdemjenn

Postby libdemjenn » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:06 pm

I think the end of April is a good guess. My first seat deposit is due 04/18. I imagine they will take a look at how many students have submitted seat deposits by then and go from there. I can't imagine them accepting people off the WL before giving decisions to people still IR.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”