South Texas 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jacketman03
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby jacketman03 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:25 pm

roarthur wrote:
merc280 wrote:
chrisiQ wrote:In today via email at 10:07 lol :)



congratulations. and here I am still waiting. I think I will call them up today.




Please let us know what they say! I'm still waiting myself!

They've been going at a pretty decent clip over the last week, decisions almost every day it seems.

merc280
Posts: 627
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:52 am

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby merc280 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Just got off the phone with admissions. They said the status checker is going to be updated as soon as there is movement on the file. Currently they are picking random files and having three committee members go through them,so i should keep checking my status checker for updates but they should definitely have a decision by mid march at the latest.

There is hope, I just hope I get in.

Tonio
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Tonio » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:50 pm

I hate and love this thread. Keeps me moderately sane, cuz others are going through same crud as me, while slowly driving me insane, because others are getting that feeling of relief before me. Still nothing here (application complete) :roll:
Last edited by Tonio on Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby txadv11 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:50 pm

merc280 wrote:Just got off the phone with admissions. They said the status checker is going to be updated as soon as there is movement on the file. Currently they are picking random files and having three committee members go through them,so i should keep checking my status checker for updates but they should definitely have a decision by mid march at the latest.

There is hope, I just hope I get in.


At least the first payment is due 4/15 rather than 4/1 like most schools. Although if you banked on getting in to STCL and didn't send money elsewhere and the worst happened...yeah.. lol.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby txadv11 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:05 pm

Tonio wrote:I hate and love this thread. Keeps me moderately sane, cuz others are going through same crud as me, while slowly driving me insane, because others are getting that feeling of relief before me. Still nothing here (application complete) :roll:


Yeah! I agree, the waiting process is extremely nerve-racking when other people are getting in all the time. Just think a decision HAS to come soon.

By the way (to everyone reading this) if you are considering big scholarships, think again.
--LinkRemoved--

Scroll to the "Grants and Scholarships" heading and look at those numbers.
Median grant amount 3,400. Half to full tuition 5 people (0.4%), Full tuition 1 person (0.1%) and more than full tuition 1 person (0.1 %)
What this means to me: that VERY few people get anything, and of those like 99% get far less than half tuition. It appears that the median grant amount of 3,400 would actually just be from the Texas Tuition Equalization Grant, which is availible to private schools to help offset the difference from public school's costs (supposedly around 2,000-4000 awarded) So, basically we shouldn't expect much, if anything. It is hard to justify an estimated cost of "49,640" when Arkansas in Little Rock is 11,000 per year without any scholarship (plus low living cost, and they give residency rates to all students) but then again, I love Texas and was so impressed by the Trial Advocacy program at my visit there that STCL is really worth the extra dough.

Anyone else having to make a big decision between this school, that specifically meets your interests and another, much cheaper, respectable school?

User avatar
jacketman03
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby jacketman03 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:24 pm

txadv11 wrote:Scroll to the "Grants and Scholarships" heading and look at those numbers.
Median grant amount 3,400. Half to full tuition 5 people (0.4%), Full tuition 1 person (0.1%) and more than full tuition 1 person (0.1 %)
What this means to me: that VERY few people get anything, and of those like 99% get far less than half tuition. It appears that the median grant amount of 3,400 would actually just be from the Texas Tuition Equalization Grant, which is availible to private schools to help offset the difference from public school's costs (supposedly around 2,000-4000 awarded) So, basically we shouldn't expect much, if anything. It is hard to justify an estimated cost of "49,640" when Arkansas in Little Rock is 11,000 per year without any scholarship (plus low living cost, and they give residency rates to all students) but then again, I love Texas and was so impressed by the Trial Advocacy program at my visit there that STCL is really worth the extra dough.

Anyone else having to make a big decision between this school, that specifically meets your interests and another, much cheaper, respectable school?

You see, this kind of confuses me, if the median grant amount is so low compared to the cost of attendance, then how can they have average debt come in around 75k (according to Grad_Student)? That would mean that people aren't taking any loans out for COL, and I find that hard to believe.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby txadv11 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:32 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Scroll to the "Grants and Scholarships" heading and look at those numbers.
Median grant amount 3,400. Half to full tuition 5 people (0.4%), Full tuition 1 person (0.1%) and more than full tuition 1 person (0.1 %)
What this means to me: that VERY few people get anything, and of those like 99% get far less than half tuition. It appears that the median grant amount of 3,400 would actually just be from the Texas Tuition Equalization Grant, which is availible to private schools to help offset the difference from public school's costs (supposedly around 2,000-4000 awarded) So, basically we shouldn't expect much, if anything. It is hard to justify an estimated cost of "49,640" when Arkansas in Little Rock is 11,000 per year without any scholarship (plus low living cost, and they give residency rates to all students) but then again, I love Texas and was so impressed by the Trial Advocacy program at my visit there that STCL is really worth the extra dough.

Anyone else having to make a big decision between this school, that specifically meets your interests and another, much cheaper, respectable school?

You see, this kind of confuses me, if the median grant amount is so low compared to the cost of attendance, then how can they have average debt come in around 75k (according to Grad_Student)? That would mean that people aren't taking any loans out for COL, and I find that hard to believe.


I have thought about this several times, myself. The only answer I have come up with is that if 75,000 is the AVERAGE...then you could possibly assume the top 10 percent--financially speaking(or pick a reasonable number), are having parents pay much of the cost, or given the high number of part-timers, are career professionals and that is why the average is so low. Don't forget this school has a slightly higher average age, so the chance that people are married (and maybe have a supportive spouse?) is greater. My guess is this data is skewed and the median would be a better measurement. Going off of the sheet that STCL gave me, the estimated COA for the 2011-2012 year is 49,640...so lets say 50,000 -3500, TEG (grant) 46,500/yr. So I'm assuming we are talking 150,000ish, given that the majority of our loans accrue 7.9% interest while we are in school.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby upfish » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:35 pm

jacketman03 wrote:You see, this kind of confuses me, if the median grant amount is so low compared to the cost of attendance, then how can they have average debt come in around 75k (according to Grad_Student)? That would mean that people aren't taking any loans out for COL, and I find that hard to believe.


My guess is that a lot of applicants are like me. I live in Houston and have an SO who can support me through school. STCL is primarily non-traditional applicants, afaik, who are career-boosting or changing careers. It's way more "professional school" than "college" as I understand it.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby txadv11 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:38 pm

upfish wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:You see, this kind of confuses me, if the median grant amount is so low compared to the cost of attendance, then how can they have average debt come in around 75k (according to Grad_Student)? That would mean that people aren't taking any loans out for COL, and I find that hard to believe.


My guess is that a lot of applicants are like me. I live in Houston and have an SO who can support me through school. STCL is primarily non-traditional applicants, afaik, who are career-boosting or changing careers. It's way more "professional school" than "college" as I understand it.

Good call, I forgot to factor in the Houston residents prior to LS!

The more I think about it, the more this will cost. I think the "13,500" they cite as the average room and board, is only for 9 months. Since I'm unlikely to move back to my parent's house during the summer, we are talking more and more money. :shock: I'm worried this will get out of control fast.

User avatar
jacketman03
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby jacketman03 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:45 pm

upfish wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:You see, this kind of confuses me, if the median grant amount is so low compared to the cost of attendance, then how can they have average debt come in around 75k (according to Grad_Student)? That would mean that people aren't taking any loans out for COL, and I find that hard to believe.


My guess is that a lot of applicants are like me. I live in Houston and have an SO who can support me through school. STCL is primarily non-traditional applicants, afaik, who are career-boosting or changing careers. It's way more "professional school" than "college" as I understand it.

Yeah, my wife will be supporting me while I'm in LS, but unless she gets a job with Houston ISD, I'll have to take out at least 10-15k so we can pay the bills, etc. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens when the scholarship info comes out, huh?

User avatar
TT09
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby TT09 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:47 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
upfish wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:You see, this kind of confuses me, if the median grant amount is so low compared to the cost of attendance, then how can they have average debt come in around 75k (according to Grad_Student)? That would mean that people aren't taking any loans out for COL, and I find that hard to believe.


My guess is that a lot of applicants are like me. I live in Houston and have an SO who can support me through school. STCL is primarily non-traditional applicants, afaik, who are career-boosting or changing careers. It's way more "professional school" than "college" as I understand it.

Yeah, my wife will be supporting me while I'm in LS, but unless she gets a job with Houston ISD, I'll have to take out at least 10-15k so we can pay the bills, etc. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens when the scholarship info comes out, huh?


And, since I'm being a very lazy person, when is that supposed to happen again? Mid-March?

User avatar
jacketman03
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby jacketman03 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:48 pm

TT09 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:
upfish wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:You see, this kind of confuses me, if the median grant amount is so low compared to the cost of attendance, then how can they have average debt come in around 75k (according to Grad_Student)? That would mean that people aren't taking any loans out for COL, and I find that hard to believe.


My guess is that a lot of applicants are like me. I live in Houston and have an SO who can support me through school. STCL is primarily non-traditional applicants, afaik, who are career-boosting or changing careers. It's way more "professional school" than "college" as I understand it.

Yeah, my wife will be supporting me while I'm in LS, but unless she gets a job with Houston ISD, I'll have to take out at least 10-15k so we can pay the bills, etc. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens when the scholarship info comes out, huh?


And, since I'm being a very lazy person, when is that supposed to happen again? Mid-March?

I think they said end of March, and I think it was upfish that gave us that nugget of info.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby upfish » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 pm

It was end of March, yeah.

Also, something to think about: if you don't want to live and work in Houston for at least 5 years after attending STCL, I wouldn't pick it as your school. It places strongly here because it's been here forever, but I've read that outside Houston it's just another 4th tier. So factor that into any cost assessments you do.

I'm planning on hanging around for quite some time, so the ranking is nearly a non-issue for me as long as it gets me a job.

User avatar
TT09
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby TT09 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:58 pm

upfish wrote:It was end of March, yeah.

Also, something to think about: if you don't want to live and work in Houston for at least 5 years after attending STCL, I wouldn't pick it as your school. It places strongly here because it's been here forever, but I've read that outside Houston it's just another 4th tier. So factor that into any cost assessments you do.

I'm planning on hanging around for quite some time, so the ranking is nearly a non-issue for me as long as it gets me a job.


+1. Born and raised in Houston, so I don't mind hanging around a little while longer.

User avatar
jacketman03
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby jacketman03 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:59 pm

upfish wrote:It was end of March, yeah.

Also, something to think about: if you don't want to live and work in Houston for at least 5 years after attending STCL, I wouldn't pick it as your school. It places strongly here because it's been here forever, but I've read that outside Houston it's just another 4th tier. So factor that into any cost assessments you do.

I'm planning on hanging around for quite some time, so the ranking is nearly a non-issue for me as long as it gets me a job.

Well, my wife prefers Houston to the Metroplex, so I guess that means I'm comfortable with Houston.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby upfish » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:08 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
upfish wrote:It was end of March, yeah.

Also, something to think about: if you don't want to live and work in Houston for at least 5 years after attending STCL, I wouldn't pick it as your school. It places strongly here because it's been here forever, but I've read that outside Houston it's just another 4th tier. So factor that into any cost assessments you do.

I'm planning on hanging around for quite some time, so the ranking is nearly a non-issue for me as long as it gets me a job.

Well, my wife prefers Houston to the Metroplex, so I guess that means I'm comfortable with Houston.


:lol:

txag10
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby txag10 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:04 pm

upfish wrote:It was end of March, yeah.

Also, something to think about: if you don't want to live and work in Houston for at least 5 years after attending STCL, I wouldn't pick it as your school. It places strongly here because it's been here forever, but I've read that outside Houston it's just another 4th tier. So factor that into any cost assessments you do.

I'm planning on hanging around for quite some time, so the ranking is nearly a non-issue for me as long as it gets me a job.


I'm JAG, so I get to leave Houston for four years, but I agree; STCL is for Houston lovers.

ab7
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:22 am

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby ab7 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:44 pm

I guess there was not much movement today...no reports of acceptance?

TXmas
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby TXmas » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:41 pm

Thank God! Received my acceptance e-mail today at 10:30am!!!

graceful1
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby graceful1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:58 pm

TXmas wrote:Thank God! Received my acceptance e-mail today at 10:30am!!!

Congratulations!

Tonio
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Tonio » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:43 pm

Nuttin here. Congrats on the acceptance

massumeh18
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby massumeh18 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:34 am

I knew I shouldn't have listened to the admissions office person when she told me applications won't be reviewed until Feb 15th. From what it seems, they started reviewing applications way before Feb 15th. Hopefully sending mine in around that time won't hurt me too much. :(

Tonio
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:48 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby Tonio » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:28 pm

massumeh18 wrote:I knew I shouldn't have listened to the admissions office person when she told me applications won't be reviewed until Feb 15th. From what it seems, they started reviewing applications way before Feb 15th. Hopefully sending mine in around that time won't hurt me too much. :(


Doesnt look like they have any rhyme or reason to the order people are reviewed think its 100% random. Or atleast i hope otherwise maybe i should read something into the length of time its taken for me to get a response

roarthur
Posts: 60
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby roarthur » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:44 pm

Tonio wrote:
massumeh18 wrote:I knew I shouldn't have listened to the admissions office person when she told me applications won't be reviewed until Feb 15th. From what it seems, they started reviewing applications way before Feb 15th. Hopefully sending mine in around that time won't hurt me too much. :(


Doesnt look like they have any rhyme or reason to the order people are reviewed think its 100% random. Or atleast i hope otherwise maybe i should read something into the length of time its taken for me to get a response



Yeah same here. Brutal waiting period.

User avatar
txadv11
Posts: 922
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 pm

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby txadv11 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Got the admitted student reception email just now.
Anyone going to the Dallas one? Looks like 1 in Austin, 1 in Dallas, and 3-4 other ones in Houston, mainly towards the end of march.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”