South Texas 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
txadv11

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby txadv11 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:18 am

Mce252 wrote:
softenedheart404 wrote:
merc280 wrote:do you really think its possible for us to get acceptances this late in the cycle?

I don't know if linking is allowed on this forum, but law school numbers has 78 people (including me) on their graph and has info on when they have heard back. The mods there put me as waitlisted for 2011 after I put it in for 2010, so ignore that.

I guess they don't see many people try two years in a row, lol, but they sent me a message saying they changed it and I can't change it back. So, ignore the 146, 3.93 GPA (Applied with 4.0, Graduated with 3.93.).

http://southtexas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Also, as someone who has met the people who create the LSAT (I went to a mock trial competition that had some seminars with it...shook people's hands, asked questions, etc), I know that law schools will not give up LSAT scores as a basis of weeding people out. The LSAT is statistically sound. What they use it to indicate, I'm not sure, but they use it anyway. I know someone who scored perfect on the LSAT, and there's no work ethic there or common sense for that person, and that person actually chose to go teach political science rather than go continue law school at an Ivy League. I'm not putting down this person - he is wickedly smart and can look at any LSAT problem and boom! correctomundo. his grades and such do not reflect this, which is why I have always believed that law schools should trash the LSAT for its current purpose and go for interviews, either by phone or in person. (Yet, I also feel like the LSAT is very important for people looking to be contract lawyers, but specialties in law school are not smiled upon quite yet)

So, yes, there's always room for someone to get accepted as long as someone else backs out. If you are waitlisted, find out where you are on the list if you can. It's worth a phone call in my opinion because they are just stringing you along like a string bean with the word waitlisted.

If I didn't think you actually had a serious intent to describe law school admissions, I would have thought this was a secret-coded puzzle.

Yeah, I was gonna post TL;DR, but I didn't want to be an ass, like half of TLS.
Anyways, I know you don't want to hear this, but you're wasting that beautiful GPA with a 146. I was a mid 140's with no-prep, and then took Powerscore and went up >10 points by test day. I seriously see a jump in your score getting you in at "better" schools, or at least in @ STCL, with money.

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:29 am

I agree - retake and partner that amazing GPA with an improved LSAT score :)

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:30 am

txadv11 wrote:Yeah, I was gonna post TL;DR, but I didn't want to be an ass, like half of TLS.
Anyways, I know you don't want to hear this, but you're wasting that beautiful GPA with a 146. I was a mid 140's with no-prep, and then took Powerscore and went up >10 points by test day. I seriously see a jump in your score getting you in at "better" schools, or at least in @ STCL, with money.

Not trying to pile on, but the above is 100% credited.

softenedheart404

Postby softenedheart404 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:37 am

jacketman03 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Yeah, I was gonna post TL;DR, but I didn't want to be an ass, like half of TLS.

True, and I know that. There's also the factor I want to stay in Texas. I have no desire to leave Texas, and, well, law school won't be paid for if I leave Texas, if you get my drift.

Also, I don't desire to be in criminal law, which is something that UT excels at. I aspire to work on Mergers and Acquistions with accounting firms. I have the background and feel I could do something great there. So, yeah, I am well aware I settled with a 146. South Texas is my first choice, and I know waitlist is one of my best chances. I've also been talking with Texas Wesleyan and they have a nice community there, which for a young person like me I am attracted to. On the other hand, South Texas is exactly one street away from where my Dad works. It's tough beans, but either way, I feel like I'm in the right place.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:40 am

softenedheart404 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

True, and I know that. There's also the factor I want to stay in Texas. I have no desire to leave Texas, and, well, law school won't be paid for if I leave Texas, if you get my drift.

Also, I don't desire to be in criminal law, which is something that UT excels at. I aspire to work on Mergers and Acquistions with accounting firms. I have the background and feel I could do something great there. So, yeah, I am well aware I settled with a 146. South Texas is my first choice, and I know waitlist is one of my best chances. I've also been talking with Texas Wesleyan and they have a nice community there, which for a young person like me I am attracted to. On the other hand, South Texas is exactly one street away from where my Dad works. It's tough beans, but either way, I feel like I'm in the right place.

UT excels at everything compared to any other school in Texas. I think South Texas is a great school, but have you researched the kinds of graduates that get jobs working in M&A?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:42 am

softenedheart404 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

You may have said this already, but have you considered Part-time? They are supposedly a school that is flexible on letting you jump FT/PT if you do "well".

softenedheart404

Postby softenedheart404 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:49 am

txadv11 wrote:
softenedheart404 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

You may have said this already, but have you considered Part-time? They are supposedly a school that is flexible on letting you jump FT/PT if you do "well".

I did seriously consider that, but why be held back when I can take as much as I want at Texas Wesleyan? If Fort Worth doesn't work out, I'll transfer. I never party, and I am leaving a boyfriend behind here in Lubbock (he's ok with this and will graduate soon enough). I feel like making top 5% won't be a problem at Tx Wesleyan if I really have the desire to transfer.

abcd

Postby abcd » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:23 am

The funny thing is I still haven't heard back from Wesleyan? Is that normal?

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:06 pm

abcd wrote:The funny thing is I still haven't heard back from Wesleyan? Is that normal?

that might actually be normal. i am still waiting to hear from them too. My file is currently in comprehensive review mode. I think if I had to choose St. Mary's vs wesleyan i would choose the latter.

softenedheart404

Postby softenedheart404 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:29 pm

Mce252 wrote:
softenedheart404 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

UT excels at everything compared to any other school in Texas. I think South Texas is a great school, but have you researched the kinds of graduates that get jobs working in M&A?

also WOAH THERE. not to start anything, but UT does not excel at everything. Tech's Accounting program is better than UT's, and Texas A&M's engineering program is better than UT's. Even to build UT's glass see-through pool, they hired a Tech professor rather than using one of their own professors.

also yes i talked with ten accounting firms. they come to Texas Tech once a year to talk with students and interview for internships and some of them wanted to just hire me full time or part time right now. The big four told me to just call them back in three years when I was done with law school and we would work it out then. Not worried.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:32 pm

I don't care what "program is better over ___"

This is true 99% of the time:
They (hiring orgs) want to know school, class rank, and did you do Law revue, are you socially akward.
UT tops the list. period.
The rest are pretty much in some type of order, but people disagree up or down a rank. e.g. U of H vs. Baylor
TSU is last. period.

edit- I have a family member from UT Law, with a 100% unrelated undergrad degree, that does "big-law" style M&A. They recruited this person because of 1. UT, 2. top 15% rank in class.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:41 pm

txadv11 wrote:I don't care what "program is better over ___"

They (hiring orgs) want to know school, class rank, and did you do Law revue, are you socially akward.
The rest are pretty much in some type of order, but people disagree up or down a rank. e.g. U of H vs. Baylor
TSU is last. period.

edit- I have a family member from UT Law, with a 100% unrelated undergrad degree, that does "big-law" style M&A. They recruited this person because of 1. UT, 2. top 15% rank in class.

Has UT been known to accept any TSU students in the past?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:42 pm

merc280 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:I don't care what "program is better over ___"

TSU is last. period.

Has UT been known to accept any TSU students in the past?

like transfers? No clue, but I'd be you'd seriously have to be like #1 or #2 in the class.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:47 pm

yeah which is even harder, since they have a really harsh grading curve.

benzarden

Postby benzarden » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:50 pm

softenedheart404 wrote:The big four told me to just call them back in three years when I was done with law school and we would work it out then. Not worried.

Honestly, and yes I'm being harsh, nobody on these forums care about your future accounting career. People have given you advice and you have continuously rebutted them. If you are so headstrong, then do your own thing and don't come to forums for advice.

Personally, I am still waiting on a response from STCL and would like to hear when/if anyone out there receives an acceptance email.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:58 pm

softenedheart404 wrote:also WOAH THERE. not to start anything, but UT does not excel at everything. Tech's Accounting program is better than UT's, and Texas A&M's engineering program is better than UT's. Even to build UT's glass see-through pool, they hired a Tech professor rather than using one of their own professors.

also yes i talked with ten accounting firms. they come to Texas Tech once a year to talk with students and interview for internships and some of them wanted to just hire me full time or part time right now. The big four told me to just call them back in three years when I was done with law school and we would work it out then. Not worried.

I don't know why you would bring up unrelated non-law school areas of different schools as a rebuttal to UT being the top dog law-school wise in Texas. In regards to law schools in Texas, it's UT>>>>>>everybody else. Also, if you already have an accounting career lined up, why are you going to law school again?
benzarden wrote:Personally, I am still waiting on a response from STCL and would like to hear when/if anyone out there receives an acceptance email.

I think some people got admitted either last week or earlier this week.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:08 pm

also WOAH THERE. not to start anything, but UT does not excel at everything. Tech's Accounting program is better than UT's, and Texas A&M's engineering program is better than UT's. Even to build UT's glass see-through pool, they hired a Tech professor rather than using one of their own professors.

Are you just making things up? According to the graduate rankings, which are the only rankings that matter in academia, you are completely wrong:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... g-rankings

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... g-rankings

I'm sure when you call back, they will have your employment papers ready to sign... :shock: Go ahead and troll around the law student forum at those graduating from t4 schools and see how easily they are gaining big law m&a jobs.

jmill

Postby jmill » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:17 pm

softenedheart404 wrote:I did seriously consider that, but why be held back when I can take as much as I want at Texas Wesleyan? If Fort Worth doesn't work out, I'll transfer. I never party, and I am leaving a boyfriend behind here in Lubbock (he's ok with this and will graduate soon enough). I feel like making top 5% won't be a problem at Tx Wesleyan if I really have the desire to transfer.

I'm sure if everyone tries really hard they too can make top 5%. Oh wait, no they can't.....95% aren't gonna make it. Everybody is going to work hard. You can't count on or be sure of making the top 5%. You may get to law school and find out you're only middle of the pack. I think it's been said many times here, but don't go to law school expecting to do well and transfer.

upfish

Postby upfish » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:53 pm

sounds like this thread has been getting mad trolled since i last checked in.

lol @ the idea that Tech tops UT at anything.

andrewb414

Postby andrewb414 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:56 pm

I was accepted on the 30th of March and I have sent in my seat deposit.
I have only received an email, never one sheet of paper from STCL which is a bit odd, I think.
I know absolutely nothing about Houston other than I will probably want to move to the Montrose area.

upfish

Postby upfish » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:01 pm

andrewb414 wrote:I was accepted on the 30th of March and I have sent in my seat deposit.
I have only received an email, never one sheet of paper from STCL which is a bit odd, I think.
I know absolutely nothing about Houston other than I will probably want to move to the Montrose area.

STCL does everything by email.

Montrose is awesome. =) Incidentally, there's a unit in my building available. Hardwoods, 1920s repurposed house, walking distance from basically everything you could ever want.

If anybody's interested, I'll get my landlord's number for you.

TT09

Postby TT09 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:02 pm

upfish wrote:sounds like this thread has been getting mad trolled since i last checked in.

You see the Big XII South standings in football this past year? Did you lol @ those?

dtown16

Postby dtown16 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:28 pm

TT09 wrote:
upfish wrote:sounds like this thread has been getting mad trolled since i last checked in.

You see the Big XII South standings in football this past year? Did you lol @ those?

oh maaaaaaan

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:29 pm

TT09 wrote:

Tech went 3-5 in Big XII play last year. I'm confused. And I think the comment was related to academics.

benzarden

Postby benzarden » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:30 pm

TT09 wrote:You see the Big XII South standings in football this past year? Did you lol @ those?

Burn.

When was TTU's last national championship in Football? In fact TTU has only been National Champions three times in their history. In 1956, they were Rodeo National Champs (Woo!). In 2006 their Men's Polo team won a National Championship! And in 1993 their Women's Basketball team won a National Championship. Do you really want to compare that to UT's 47 National Championships? I don't think so Texas Tech fan.

Let's keep the discussion on South Texas College of Law.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”