South Texas 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
softenedheart404

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby softenedheart404 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:30 pm

Hi, ya'll, I'm new to this forum (not to forums in general, but to this forum.)

I applied last year to STCL and was denied/waitlisted on April 7, 2010 and April 21, 2010, respectively, with an LSAT of 146. My GPA was 4.0 when I applied with a degree in General Business (I was first in General Business at Texas Tech.)

I applied again this year (Jan 2011), and I am anxious to hear what will happen in the next few days. I did not retake the LSAT. However, I stayed in college for an extra year and got a second degree in Accounting. I also have a minor in English this time around, and my GPA is still above a 3.8. I write A+ essays, so I know that's never the problem.

I got into TX Wesleyan last year and this year. However, if I get into STCL, I'm going there for personal reasons. I'm from Houston and would save a lot in rent by living with my parents (who have agreed to let me stay rent free). I also really like the healthcare down in Houston since I have never been a very healthy individual. Even if it were only for the first year, I would save a bundle living with family compared to living in downtown Ft Worth.

I just wanted to let ya'll know the dates I had last year and what to expect. STCL takes the longest out of any law school I ever applied to in terms of responding. I think it has a lot to do with the fact they have rolling admissions. The best advice I can give with dealing with STCL is make sure you watch deposit dates with the other schools. Some of them have 2 deposit dates and you want to make sure your top two schools are covered even though these amounts are probably higher than what you would want to spend on keeping a spot for yourself. Don't take a spot from someone else if you are not really willing to move to that city, particularly to Houston, where the humidity drives certain people away.

I can also vouch that Texas Tech's law school is a very nice law school. I didn't get in there, and I really don't want to spend anymore time in Lubbock, given that I already have two degress here now. If you are stuck between TTU and STCL, I will admit that would be a hard choice given that the bar pass rate is the highest at Tech. There's also no problems finding parking at TTU, where that may be a problem at STCL (also with commute, where someone can literally live across the street from the law school here in Lubbock affordably and cannot do that at STCL.) Also, Tech has snow every year, if that's something you are looking for, it is there and provides enough to make a medium-sized snowman every year.

Anyway, good luck to all still waiting!! I hope you hear from STCL soon so that you can finish paying deposits and start signing leases!!

merc280

Postby merc280 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:34 pm

softenedheart404 wrote:Hi, ya'll, I'm new to this forum (not to forums in general, but to this forum.)

I applied last year to STCL and was denied/waitlisted on April 7, 2010 and April 21, 2010, respectively, with an LSAT of 146. My GPA was 4.0 when I applied with a degree in General Business (I was first in General Business at Texas Tech.)

I applied again this year (Jan 2011), and I am anxious to hear what will happen in the next few days. I did not retake the LSAT. However, I stayed in college for an extra year and got a second degree in Accounting. I also have a minor in English this time around, and my GPA is still above a 3.8. I write A+ essays, so I know that's never the problem.

I got into TX Wesleyan last year and this year. However, if I get into STCL, I'm going there for personal reasons. I'm from Houston and would save a lot in rent by living with my parents (who have agreed to let me stay rent free). I also really like the healthcare down in Houston since I have never been a very healthy individual. Even if it were only for the first year, I would save a bundle living with family compared to living in downtown Ft Worth.

I just wanted to let ya'll know the dates I had last year and what to expect. STCL takes the longest out of any law school I ever applied to in terms of responding. I think it has a lot to do with the fact they have rolling admissions. The best advice I can give with dealing with STCL is make sure you watch deposit dates with the other schools. Some of them have 2 deposit dates and you want to make sure your top two schools are covered even though these amounts are probably higher than what you would want to spend on keeping a spot for yourself. Don't take a spot from someone else if you are not really willing to move to that city, particularly to Houston, where the humidity drives certain people away.

I can also vouch that Texas Tech's law school is a very nice law school. I didn't get in there, and I really don't want to spend anymore time in Lubbock, given that I already have two degress here now. If you are stuck between TTU and STCL, I will admit that would be a hard choice given that the bar pass rate is the highest at Tech. There's also no problems finding parking at TTU, where that may be a problem at STCL (also with commute, where someone can literally live across the street from the law school here in Lubbock affordably and cannot do that at STCL.) Also, Tech has snow every year, if that's something you are looking for, it is there and provides enough to make a medium-sized snowman every year.

Anyway, good luck to all still waiting!! I hope you hear from STCL soon so that you can finish paying deposits and start signing leases!!

Thanks for the overview regarding stcl and tech. Im still waiting on STCL and have a 155lsat and 2.7 gpa. Seems like they will tell me right before their deposit deadline, whether I get in or not.

emlawi

Postby emlawi » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:54 pm

vttran9 wrote:Just received a scholarship through email. :D

+1!!! Was not expecting anything so I'm very happy!

jmill

Postby jmill » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:59 pm

softenedheart404 wrote:Hi, ya'll, I'm new to this forum (not to forums in general, but to this forum.)

Wait, wait, wait....You are saying you applied to a STCL with a 4.0 and a 146 got rejected last year. Then this year with a lower gpa and the same score applied again (possibly late in the game) and are expecting a different outcome than last year?

softenedheart404

Postby softenedheart404 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:02 pm

Wait, wait, wait....You are saying you applied to a STCL with a 4.0 and a 146 got rejected last year. Then this year with a lower gpa and the same score applied again (possibly late in the game) and are expecting a different outcome than last year?

A degree in Accounting is considered much harder than a degree in General Business.
Besides, Texas Wesleyan believes in me, and if STCL can't see my work ethic, then I'll take my money to Tx Wesleyan.

Also, btw, I was sick on LSAT day. So I'm not a dummy. I studied a year for that darn LSAT. and I received a deferral from Texas Wesleyan, so I don't feel like I'm rolling the dice that badly. I'm not that dumb :P

....Should I add I graduated 1st in General Business, 3rd in all of Business at a Big 12 school at the age of 18? I appreciate your ability to see I am tad cuckoo for reapplying, but there is also the issue of employment experience, age, etc. involved.

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:11 pm

softenedheart404 wrote:

A degree in Accounting is considered much harder than a degree in General Business.
Besides, Texas Wesleyan believes in me, and if STCL can't see my work ethic, then I'll take my money to Tx Wesleyan.

Also, btw, I was sick on LSAT day. So I'm not a dummy. I studied a year for that darn LSAT. and I received a deferral from Texas Wesleyan, so I don't feel like I'm rolling the dice that badly. I'm not that dumb :P

....Should I add I graduated 1st in General Business, 3rd in all of Business at a Big 12 school at the age of 18? I appreciate your ability to see I am tad cuckoo for reapplying, but there is also the issue of employment experience, age, etc. involved.

As I understand it, the only majors that are given "weight" GPA-wise are engineering-related, and even then it's sketchy? But good luck.

dtown16

Postby dtown16 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:33 pm

upfish wrote:
softenedheart404 wrote:

As I understand it, the only majors that are given "weight" GPA-wise are engineering-related, and even then it's sketchy? But good luck.

debbie downer over here

merc280

Postby merc280 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:34 pm

we'll all find out soon enough. Hopefully all positive things.

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:45 pm

dtown16 wrote:debbie downer over here

trufax.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:57 pm

How does this school have 50 some pages??

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:07 pm

twairlines wrote:How does this school have 50 some pages??

Hmmm, lots of posts maybe?

merc280

Postby merc280 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:25 pm

its a good school, despite what alot of TLS members might say. One of the only Tier 4's with decent employment for grads, because of being in a big city.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:36 pm

I'm not dogging it by any means, as I know plenty of good T3 and T4's, I just never seen one of them on here gain such a following. I'd always see the thread and thought it was talking about UT, until I actually took a closer look.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:39 pm

twairlines wrote:I'm not dogging it by any means, as I know plenty of good T3 and T4's, I just never seen one of them on here gain such a following. I'd always see the thread and thought it was talking about UT, until I actually took a closer look.

since they have such a slow and unexpected way of making their decisions, most of this thread is just people waiting, either for decisions or scholarship information

roarthur

Postby roarthur » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:58 am

The slow process had a lot to do with it. Also the fact that they had no information out and were unwilling to speak to people about questions they had. Everyone came here to talk about the information they had. Which, for the most part, was no information at all.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:18 am

true, and they still have some of us waiting. like me.

roarthur

Postby roarthur » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:24 am

merc280 wrote:true, and they still have some of us waiting. like me.

And also me.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:31 am

do you really think its possible for us to get acceptances this late in the cycle?

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:26 am

My apologies tw. I thought I detected a hint of smart-ass in your response, my bad.

It has a lot to do with a lot of what other posters are saying. Also, they have spring admission so a few have posted their info about the spring cycle as well.

grahamic03

Postby grahamic03 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:58 am

merc280 wrote:do you really think its possible for us to get acceptances this late in the cycle?

When I called STCL yesterday, the lady (who sounded half-asleep) said that they will be accepting people until the end of April. My friend, who is a current 1L at STCL, was accepted after April 15th last year. There is still hope! Well, that's what I keep telling myself....

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:03 am

twairlines wrote:I'm not dogging it by any means, as I know plenty of good T3 and T4's, I just never seen one of them on here gain such a following. I'd always see the thread and thought it was talking about UT, until I actually took a closer look.

That's because we are some of the most, obsessive-neurotic applicants, applying/waiting for one of the slowest processes known to man. Behind waiting at the DMV or for a tax refund check.

softenedheart404

Postby softenedheart404 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:07 am

merc280 wrote:do you really think its possible for us to get acceptances this late in the cycle?

I don't know if linking is allowed on this forum, but law school numbers has 78 people (including me) on their graph and has info on when they have heard back. The mods there put me as waitlisted for 2011 after I put it in for 2010, so ignore that.

I guess they don't see many people try two years in a row, lol, but they sent me a message saying they changed it and I can't change it back. So, ignore the 146, 3.93 GPA (Applied with 4.0, Graduated with 3.93.).

http://southtexas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Also, as someone who has met the people who create the LSAT (I went to a mock trial competition that had some seminars with it...shook people's hands, asked questions, etc), I know that law schools will not give up LSAT scores as a basis of weeding people out. The LSAT is statistically sound. What they use it to indicate, I'm not sure, but they use it anyway. I know someone who scored perfect on the LSAT, and there's no work ethic there or common sense for that person, and that person actually chose to go teach political science rather than go continue law school at an Ivy League. I'm not putting down this person - he is wickedly smart and can look at any LSAT problem and boom! correctomundo. his grades and such do not reflect this, which is why I have always believed that law schools should trash the LSAT for its current purpose and go for interviews, either by phone or in person. (Yet, I also feel like the LSAT is very important for people looking to be contract lawyers, but specialties in law school are not smiled upon quite yet)

So, yes, there's always room for someone to get accepted as long as someone else backs out. If you are waitlisted, find out where you are on the list if you can. It's worth a phone call in my opinion because they are just stringing you along like a string bean with the word waitlisted.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:12 am

Random post is random.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:14 am

maxm2764 wrote:Random post is random.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:16 am

softenedheart404 wrote:

I don't know if linking is allowed on this forum, but law school numbers has 78 people (including me) on their graph and has info on when they have heard back. The mods there put me as waitlisted for 2011 after I put it in for 2010, so ignore that.

I guess they don't see many people try two years in a row, lol, but they sent me a message saying they changed it and I can't change it back. So, ignore the 146, 3.93 GPA (Applied with 4.0, Graduated with 3.93.).

http://southtexas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Also, as someone who has met the people who create the LSAT (I went to a mock trial competition that had some seminars with it...shook people's hands, asked questions, etc), I know that law schools will not give up LSAT scores as a basis of weeding people out. The LSAT is statistically sound. What they use it to indicate, I'm not sure, but they use it anyway. I know someone who scored perfect on the LSAT, and there's no work ethic there or common sense for that person, and that person actually chose to go teach political science rather than go continue law school at an Ivy League. I'm not putting down this person - he is wickedly smart and can look at any LSAT problem and boom! correctomundo. his grades and such do not reflect this, which is why I have always believed that law schools should trash the LSAT for its current purpose and go for interviews, either by phone or in person. (Yet, I also feel like the LSAT is very important for people looking to be contract lawyers, but specialties in law school are not smiled upon quite yet)

So, yes, there's always room for someone to get accepted as long as someone else backs out. If you are waitlisted, find out where you are on the list if you can. It's worth a phone call in my opinion because they are just stringing you along like a string bean with the word waitlisted.

If I didn't think you actually had a serious intent to describe law school admissions, I would have thought this was a secret-coded puzzle.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”