South Texas 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jacketman03

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby jacketman03 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:31 pm

So, I was at the thing today, and it was nothing fancy. They had the Associate Dean for Academic Administration, the head of the Transactional Certificate program and the head of the Trial Advocacy program talk to us. The Dean wasn't there, or if he was I didn't see him and he didn't speak. They also had a May 2010 grad talk to us, and she had transferred there from Tech and then transitioned from part-time to full-time. After that they had a little reception thing where members of the faculty walked around introducing themselves to us and offered guided tours.

When the faculty were talking to us in the first part of the day, they were really pumping up the Trial Advocacy program, apparently they're one of only 4 schools to be ranked in the top 10 for Trial Advocacy every year that US News has ranked trial advocacy programs, and they talked a lot about the successful alumni all over the state.

Hope that little recap helps those of y'all that weren't able to make it today.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:57 pm

I imagine there are very few seats that are still open.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:03 pm

jacketman03 wrote:So, I was at the thing today, and it was nothing fancy. They had the Associate Dean for Academic Administration, the head of the Transactional Certificate program and the head of the Trial Advocacy program talk to us. The Dean wasn't there, or if he was I didn't see him and he didn't speak. They also had a May 2010 grad talk to us, and she had transferred there from Tech and then transitioned from part-time to full-time. After that they had a little reception thing where members of the faculty walked around introducing themselves to us and offered guided tours.

When the faculty were talking to us in the first part of the day, they were really pumping up the Trial Advocacy program, apparently they're one of only 4 schools to be ranked in the top 10 for Trial Advocacy every year that US News has ranked trial advocacy programs, and they talked a lot about the successful alumni all over the state.

Has your opinion changed after this visit?

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:28 pm

txadv11 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:So, I was at the thing today, and it was nothing fancy. They had the Associate Dean for Academic Administration, the head of the Transactional Certificate program and the head of the Trial Advocacy program talk to us. The Dean wasn't there, or if he was I didn't see him and he didn't speak. They also had a May 2010 grad talk to us, and she had transferred there from Tech and then transitioned from part-time to full-time. After that they had a little reception thing where members of the faculty walked around introducing themselves to us and offered guided tours.

Has your opinion changed after this visit?

No, I'm still liking STCL and I'll most likely wind up there in August.

vttran9

Postby vttran9 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:48 pm

I just received my acceptance email on March 30th. Does this mean I won't be offered any scholarships? I've read on this forum that they sent it all out on the 22nd.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:06 pm

vttran9 wrote:I just received my acceptance email on March 30th. Does this mean I won't be offered any scholarships? I've read on this forum that they sent it all out on the 22nd.

yeah probably not. thats what people on the board have been saying.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:50 pm

vttran9 wrote:I just received my acceptance email on March 30th. Does this mean I won't be offered any scholarships? I've read on this forum that they sent it all out on the 22nd.

I would think with your numbers you would get one, but they max out at $12400.

abcd

Postby abcd » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:36 am

I went this Saturday as well. I honestly expected a bigger turnout. The mootcourt was impressive, but still nervous about graduating with such a big debt

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:50 pm

abcd wrote:I went this Saturday as well. I honestly expected a bigger turnout. The mootcourt was impressive, but still nervous about graduating with such a big debt

Yeah, I was a little surprised about the low turnout, too. As an aside, did you get as much of a kick as I did about the guy who tried and failed at gunning with his question about "should I go to UH or STCL, bc I have like 18 degrees from UH and my company is gonna pay for my law school, and did I mention that I have all this amazing experience and degrees from UH?"

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:58 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
abcd wrote:I went this Saturday as well. I honestly expected a bigger turnout. The mootcourt was impressive, but still nervous about graduating with such a big debt

Yeah, I was a little surprised about the low turnout, too. As an aside, did you get as much of a kick as I did about the guy who tried and failed at gunning with his question about "should I go to UH or STCL, bc I have like 18 degrees from UH and my company is gonna pay for my law school, and did I mention that I have all this amazing experience and degrees from UH?"

Get his name, then we will blacklist him for our gunner-squad.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:00 pm

txadv11 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

Oh, I did. I did.

abcd

Postby abcd » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:10 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

Oh, I did. I did.

Oh my gosh, that was so funny! His question was a whole 10 minutes long and the fact that he got it barely answered was even funnier! I wonder if he's actually going to choose STCL

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:19 pm

jacketman03 wrote:

I was mid-migas at my favorite breakfast place when my SO was like "Hey isn't that ASD today?" >.<

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:27 pm

upfish wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

I was mid-migas at my favorite breakfast place when my SO was like "Hey isn't that ASD today?" >.<

Haha, it happens to the best of us.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:09 pm

cant believe I still havent heard anything from STCL.

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:20 pm

I know! I feel your pain!!

TexAG215

Postby TexAG215 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:47 pm

TexasGE wrote:I know! I feel your pain!!

agreed

merc280

Postby merc280 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:51 pm

any chance we'll be hearing something today?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:53 pm

merc280 wrote:any chance we'll be hearing something today?

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:01 pm

merc280 wrote:any chance we'll be hearing something today?

I don't understand taking the time to ask this repeatedly. There is a 99.99 percent chance that no one on this website can answer that question for you, or any other questions about when you can expect to hear.

Sorry for the rant; meaningless posts just irritate me.

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:23 pm

Well your post irritates me. Don't read it then...

merc280

Postby merc280 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:33 pm

half the posts in this thread are meaningless, a way to pass time before either going to STCL, or hearing from them.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:38 pm

TexasGE wrote:Well your post irritates me. Don't read it then...

You don't take your own advice very well.

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:41 pm

HAHA I just realized that!! :D

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:42 pm

merc280 wrote:half the posts in this thread are meaningless, a way to pass time before either going to STCL, or hearing from them.

Agreed! This thread helps pass my time, regardless if the posts are info worthy or not! :wink:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”