South Texas 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
abcd

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby abcd » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:35 pm

txadv11 wrote:
abcd wrote:[quote="txadv11My grouping of the Texas schools has always been UT, SMU/UH, Tech/STCL, Texas Wesleyan/St. Mary's, then TSU. So yes.

Anti Baylor trolling lol

I'm really torn b/w Wesleyan and STCL. So why is Wesleyan a better choice?[/quote]
On the iPhone at the moment. I've been to tx Wes probably 5 times for differing reasons. And stcl once plus another event. So I can help you out in detail when I get home.[/quote]

Yes please do when you get the chance!

merc280

Postby merc280 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:15 pm

I think the job market would be similar to south texas grads, but yes, would love to get detailed feedback.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:33 pm

TX Wes: new school, so nice facility, but "growing" reputation.
They have some pretty neat clinics and opportunities. They have the "community" feeling, rather than STCL, that to me, feels more competitive and elite (although rankings do not support this).
The library is very nice, and up-to-date. They have the safest looking campus I've ever been at. The law school isn't near the UG, it is actually in downtown Ft. Worth, but still TX WES has security roaming from the parking lots, to inside, as well as a guard at the main door, PLUS Ft. Worth PD are everywhere. The moot courtrooms are nice, although I'd have to give it to STCL, they by far have the nicest courtrooms I've ever been in. Cost is comperable, with a slightly lower COL for housing and whatnot in Ft. Worth when compared to my choices near STCL.

For some reason I think STCL grads are better off, market-wise than TX wes grads. I really can't base this off of anything tangible, besides the TX bar's numbers of lawyers by county. However, if I were to bet who'd win: a STCL grad in the "U of H market" or a TX Wes grad in the "SMU" Market, I'd put my money with STCL.
The trophy case at TX wes is about 4ft by 8 ft. STCL has so many, they line the halls up and down. I actually heard they have so many, they have nearly TWICE as many titles as the #2 school. As far as scholarships go, I give it to TX wes. They offer more money up front for 1L (like half as opposed to most schools who give XX,XXX per year) but have high stipulations (top 25%) to renew for 2L and 3L. STCL's highest offer for a 180 4.0 isn't even half, and TX wes offered me a fair amount. In talking with administartion from both schools, TX wes has more time for you, and will "care" for you (probably not the right word, but whatever) vs. South TX has TWICE the number of students and kind of rides on the reputation of the programs, and faculty, to do the work for them.

Just my 2 cents.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:46 pm

txadv11 wrote:TX Wes: new school, so nice facility, but "growing" reputation.
They have some pretty neat clinics and opportunities. They have the "community" feeling, rather than STCL, that to me, feels more competitive and elite (although rankings do not support this).
The library is very nice, and up-to-date. They have the safest looking campus I've ever been at. The law school isn't near the UG, it is actually in downtown Ft. Worth, but still TX WES has security roaming from the parking lots, to inside, as well as a guard at the main door, PLUS Ft. Worth PD are everywhere. The moot courtrooms are nice, although I'd have to give it to STCL, they by far have the nicest courtrooms I've ever been in. Cost is comperable, with a slightly lower COL for housing and whatnot in Ft. Worth when compared to my choices near STCL.

For some reason I think STCL grads are better off, market-wise than TX wes grads. I really can't base this off of anything tangible, besides the TX bar's numbers of lawyers by county. However, if I were to bet who'd win: a STCL grad in the "U of H market" or a TX Wes grad in the "SMU" Market, I'd put my money with STCL.
The trophy case at TX wes is about 4ft by 8 ft. STCL has so many, they line the halls up and down. I actually heard they have so many, they have nearly TWICE as many titles as the #2 school. As far as scholarships go, I give it to TX wes. They offer more money up front for 1L (like half as opposed to most schools who give XX,XXX per year) but have high stipulations (top 25%) to renew for 2L and 3L. STCL's highest offer for a 180 4.0 isn't even half, and TX wes offered me a fair amount. In talking with administartion from both schools, TX wes has more time for you, and will "care" for you (probably not the right word, but whatever) vs. South TX has TWICE the number of students and kind of rides on the reputation of the programs, and faculty, to do the work for them.

Just my 2 cents.

pretty detailed assessment. Thanks. Im currently choosing between st. mary's and Wesleyan, only because I haven't heard from STCL yet.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:48 pm

merc280 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

That's a tough one. I'll reserve comment on St. Mary's since I haven't actually been there. But, I've got a parent that did 1L there, and transfered to UT, lol.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:03 pm

txadv11 wrote:
merc280 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

That's a tough one. I'll reserve comment on St. Mary's since I haven't actually been there. But, I've got a parent that did 1L there, and transfered to UT, lol.

Were they top 5%?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:04 pm

merc280 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:
merc280 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

Were they top 5%?

Top 10, but it was the early 1980s, which is so different that for jobs and transfers prospects, might as well be the 1700s.

TexAG215

Postby TexAG215 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:12 pm

merc280 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

pretty detailed assessment. Thanks. Im currently choosing between st. mary's and Wesleyan, only because I haven't heard from STCL yet.

St marys seems cool, as I wait to hear from STCL im trying decide between st marys and Michigan state, but the campus seems nice, they recently spent a good deal of money on their moot courtroom. One thing that bothers me is that they only have 14 OCI's.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:26 pm

TexAG215 wrote:
merc280 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

St marys seems cool, as I wait to hear from STCL im trying decide between st marys and Michigan state, but the campus seems nice, they recently spent a good deal of money on their moot courtroom. One thing that bothers me is that they only have 14 OCI's.

how many does STCL have?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:27 pm

merc280 wrote:
TexAG215 wrote:
merc280 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

how many does STCL have?

36, on NALP

merc280

Postby merc280 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:45 pm

wow, big difference. and much more competition to grab one of the few firm jobs.

graceful1

Postby graceful1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:18 pm

merc280 wrote:
TexAG215 wrote:
merc280 wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

how many does STCL have?

How many OCI's for Texas Wesleyan?

merc280

Postby merc280 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:20 pm

graceful1

Postby graceful1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:21 pm

merc280 wrote:17

Thank you.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:30 pm

So, who's gonna be at the thing tomorrow?

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:31 am

jacketman03 wrote:So, who's gonna be at the thing tomorrow?

In via e-mail! What is tomorrow?
Last edited by IHaveLawyers on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

tiger225

Postby tiger225 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:35 am

Anybody bringing an entourage?

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:17 am

tiger225 wrote:Anybody bringing an entourage?

I've got the wife and mother-in-law.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:51 am

jacketman03 wrote:

That sucks. I do everything possible to keep the in-laws out of the law school realm.

FutureLitigator27

Postby FutureLitigator27 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:18 am

Mce252 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

That sucks. I do everything possible to keep the in-laws out of the law school realm.

I do everything to keep the parents out of the law school realm. :D

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:41 am

To those attending, let us know your thoughts on today's event and the school.

graceful1

Postby graceful1 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:30 pm

txadv11 wrote:To those attending, let us know your thoughts on today's event and the school.

Do you have a link to NALP OCI numbers per law school?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:31 pm

graceful1 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:To those attending, let us know your thoughts on today's event and the school.

--LinkRemoved--

I don't have it school by school, but you can look at them individually.

graceful1

Postby graceful1 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:33 pm

txadv11 wrote:
graceful1 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I don't have it school by school, but you can look at them individually.

Thank you.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:53 pm

wont be hearing back til monday regarding more decisions right?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”