South Texas 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jacketman03

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:04 pm

gigemgirl12 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:
gigemgirl12 wrote:I graduated from Texas A&M in 2009 with a BA in POLS and a heck of a resume. I have been working for a personal injury attorney in Houston, TX since I graduated and would like to start law school (preferably in Houston) this fall. My GPA stinks at a 2.6 and I didn't exactly shine on the LSAT with a 149. Like I said my resume is solid with various leadership positions, extracurricular athletics (marathons, triathlons, etc), 2 study abroad experiences, and working part-time since my sophomore year of college. My recs are fantastic too; one from a study abroad professor at Texas A&M, one from a college job manager, and one from the attorney I currently work for. Chances of getting into South Texas College of Law full time program starting in the Fall? I'm so nervous.

Howdy,

Unfortunately, you're probably not gonna get in :(

Edit: If you're URM, you have a slightly better chance, but it's still not good. I'm an African American male with a 161/2.56, and the only schools I've gotten into so far are STCL and TSU.

I'm Hispanic but I do not think we're minorities anymore.

Mexican-American and Puerto Rican count as URM, so if you're one of those, you have a bit better chance.

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:06 pm

gigemgirl12 wrote:I graduated from Texas A&M in 2009 with a BA in POLS and a heck of a resume. I have been working for a personal injury attorney in Houston, TX since I graduated and would like to start law school (preferably in Houston) this fall. My GPA stinks at a 2.6 and I didn't exactly shine on the LSAT with a 149. Like I said my resume is solid with various leadership positions, extracurricular athletics (marathons, triathlons, etc), 2 study abroad experiences, and working part-time since my sophomore year of college. My recs are fantastic too; one from a study abroad professor at Texas A&M, one from a college job manager, and one from the attorney I currently work for. Chances of getting into South Texas College of Law full time program starting in the Fall? I'm so nervous.

I think your GPA might be what dings you - but you NEVER know! Have you already applied?

Also - have you considered the part time program?

gigemgirl12

Postby gigemgirl12 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:10 pm

TexasGE wrote:

I think your GPA might be what dings you - but you NEVER know! Have you already applied?

Also - have you considered the part time program?

I applied in January. They said all of their decisions should be out by the end of April. I would definitely go part time if it were between that and re-applying. They also admit in the Spring so I would try try again if I should get rejected. I've got all of my eggs in the resume/recs/ps basket. I hope they take a chance on me.

TexAG215

Postby TexAG215 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:12 pm

gigemgirl12 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

Howdy,

Edit: If you're URM, you have a slightly better chance, but it's still not good. I'm an African American male with a 161/2.56, and the only schools I've gotten into so far are STCL and TSU.

Your soft factors seem pretty good and maybe they will help. Plus being Hispanic might help to. Im Mexican American and i feel like my ethnicity has helped, at least they give your file a second look. Best of luck to you! :)

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:14 pm

TexAG215 wrote:
gigemgirl12 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

Howdy,

Your soft factors seem pretty good and maybe they will help. Plus being Hispanic might help to. Im Mexican American and i feel like my ethnicity has helped, at least they give your file a second look. Best of luck to you! :)

Isn't part of adcoms' jobs to entice URM applicants by offering money? Apparently that's not the case at STCL. :evil: :x

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:46 pm

Just withdrew today. Will either be at SMU with $22k/yr or Santa Clara here in California with $15k/year. Hope I open up a spot (and some scholly money) for a fellow TLSer! Good luck, guys!

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:53 pm

swilson215 wrote:Just withdrew today. Will either be at SMU with $22k/yr or Santa Clara here in California with $15k/year. Hope I open up a spot (and some scholly money) for a fellow TLSer! Good luck, guys!

Good luck with your choices! Hopefully I'll have a chance to join you at SMU.

TT09

Postby TT09 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:06 pm

swilson215 wrote:Just withdrew today. Will either be at SMU with $22k/yr or Santa Clara here in California with $15k/year. Hope I open up a spot (and some scholly money) for a fellow TLSer! Good luck, guys!

Wow, nice final 2! Good luck!

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:51 pm

still havent heard anything, and application is still complete.

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:57 pm

merc280 wrote:still havent heard anything, and application is still complete.

Same...here....

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:00 pm

TexasGE wrote:
merc280 wrote:still havent heard anything, and application is still complete.

Same...here....

still need to send out my deposit for the other school

jlb2957

Postby jlb2957 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:35 pm

Wow.....now i'm getting very scared i may not get accepted....

I thought a 162 would be enough to be forgiven for my ridiculously low gpa....at least at a school like south texas....

HoustonOrBust

Postby HoustonOrBust » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Hi TLS,
I am 3.6/153/Public Relations, wait listed and losing my mind waiting to hear something. I figure it's got to be my LSAT score. Has anyone been accepted with a 153 or under?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:05 pm

HoustonOrBust wrote:Hi TLS,
I am 3.6/153/Public Relations, wait listed and losing my mind waiting to hear something. I figure it's got to be my LSAT score. Has anyone been accepted with a 153 or under?

--LinkRemoved--

Yes. I'm pretty sure you are right on the edge of the waitlist. The GPA is good for STCL, and the LSAT is just below median.
Don't count on scholarship money though.

TexasAggie11

Postby TexasAggie11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:36 pm

STCL must have gotten a ton of apps this year because I don't remember it being this competitive in the past.

HoustonOrBust

Postby HoustonOrBust » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:42 pm

txadv11 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Yes. I'm pretty sure you are right on the edge of the waitlist. The GPA is good for STCL, and the LSAT is just below median.

Thanks. God I hope so. I really thought I was going to get in. If I don't it's TSU or nothing, and from what I've heard nothing might be the better option. I called STCL and they told me that I shouldn't expect to hear anything until after April 15th! You're killing me STCL! Killing me!

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:51 pm

HoustonOrBust wrote:
txadv11 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Thanks. God I hope so. I really thought I was going to get in. If I don't it's TSU or nothing, and from what I've heard nothing might be the better option. I called STCL and they told me that I shouldn't expect to hear anything until after April 15th! You're killing me STCL! Killing me!

Apply late?

HoustonOrBust

Postby HoustonOrBust » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:56 pm

TexasAggie11 wrote:STCL must have gotten a ton of apps this year because I don't remember it being this competitive in the past.

The wait list letter they sent said they had 2700 applications for 350 spots. I don't how many they normally get, but that sounds like a lot to me. I blame the economy.

HoustonOrBust

Postby HoustonOrBust » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:00 pm

txadv11 wrote:
HoustonOrBust wrote:
txadv11 wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Apply late?

Application was complete on 1-27. I've been out of school for three years, so all my recommendations were from various supervisors at my job. I'm thinking that may be it? Or maybe my personal statement sucked. I thought it was ok, but now I'm second guessing everything.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:01 pm

Send a LOCI. If they make the room, you're likely to get in. Given my frustration, I may open a spot up for you.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:04 pm

kinda makes me think I really dont have a chance, since my LSAT is 155

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:05 pm

You know, I'd almost say that they might be trying to raise their LSAT or something, but we know if that were the case they would offer scholarship money to people that could help with that...

HoustonOrBust

Postby HoustonOrBust » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:13 pm

txadv11 wrote:Send a LOCI. If they make the room, you're likely to get in. Given my frustration, I may open a spot up for you.

I'm thinking of sending one tomorrow. Do you know if it's acceptable to send an additional full page paper in your LOCI? I'd like to send the supplemental paper I sent to U of H, but if they're not going to read the whole thing I'd rather just sum it up in an e-mail.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:16 pm

HoustonOrBust wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Send a LOCI. If they make the room, you're likely to get in. Given my frustration, I may open a spot up for you.

I'm thinking of sending one tomorrow. Do you know if it's acceptable to send an additional full page paper in your LOCI? I'd like to send the supplemental paper I sent to U of H, but if they're not going to read the whole thing I'd rather just sum it up in an e-mail.

Does it add information that wasn't in your application and has occurred since your application? If so, send it, if not, it probably won't help much.

HoustonOrBust

Postby HoustonOrBust » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:18 pm

What I've seen from obsessively looking at LSN etc. is that they haven't really accepted many people with lower than a 154, no matter what their gpa is. Really hope that's not the case though. 154 you're cool, 153....wait listed.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”