South Texas 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jacketman03

Re: South Texas 2011

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:43 pm

merc280 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:So, after allowing myself 8 hours or so to get over being pissed, I'm thinking that if my only options remain STCL or TSU, STCL wins. So which of you are still planning on being at the Admitted Student Reception next Saturday?

if I get in, I'll be there. What do you think my chances are? with a 2.7 and a 155?

I would have thought you had a decent shot, but after Tonio got dinged, I don't know...

graceful1

Postby graceful1 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:44 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
graceful1 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:
busted wrote:Maybe STCL is trying to pair down its class size to take in people most likely to pass the bar because it has really bad bar passage rates.

Where do you get that info from? It's consistently above the state average for bar passage.

USNWR Bar Statistics (Winter and Summer 2009 administrations)

Bar passage rate (first-time test takers)

Baylor - 95.0%
Texas Tech - 93.4%
Texas - 93.2%
Houston - 91.3%
Southern Methodist - 89.5%
Texas Wesleyan - 89.1%
South Texas - 86.8%
Statewide - 85.3%
St. Mary's - 83.6%
Texas Southern - 67.9%

This proves my statement. Also, for July 2010 South Texas was 89.02%, which was third highest in the state. This site (LinkRemoved) has results of all bar exams since February 1997 so you can compare schools over the last 13 years.

Indisputable source. Thank you.

sceva31st

Postby sceva31st » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:51 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
merc280 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:So, after allowing myself 8 hours or so to get over being pissed, I'm thinking that if my only options remain STCL or TSU, STCL wins. So which of you are still planning on being at the Admitted Student Reception next Saturday?

if I get in, I'll be there. What do you think my chances are? with a 2.7 and a 155?

I would have thought you had a decent shot, but after Tonio got dinged, I don't know...

I really cant figure out the methods to law schools madness

I was accepted to a T1
dinged at 2 T2s
dinged at 1 T3
and wait listed at a T4

merc280

Postby merc280 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:52 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
merc280 wrote:

yeah I think this late in the cycle, anyone who gets their app reviewed is probably gonna get dinged. I just hope they let me in somehow, though I know the closer we get to the deadline the more chances there are that they wont let me in.

Is tonio a texas resident? Because I thought I would have had a higher chance at getting in.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:56 pm

sceva31st wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:
merc280 wrote:

I really cant figure out the methods to law schools madness

I was accepted to a T1
dinged at 2 T2s
dinged at 1 T3
and wait listed at a T4

I would have loved to get in to a T1. Thats one of the reasons I applied to UH thinking they might accept me.

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:05 pm

I think Tonio was in Louisiana, not sure.

Jacketman...def still think STCL is a better choice over TSU any and every day!

merc280

Postby merc280 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:10 pm

TexasGE wrote:I think Tonio was in Louisiana, not sure.

yeah its like a few people said, TSU is one more violation away from getting discredited. Although I know a few lawyers that graduated from there and are now contract document reviewers.

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:44 pm

merc280 wrote:

yeah its like a few people said, TSU is one more violation away from getting discredited. Although I know a few lawyers that graduated from there and are now contract document reviewers.

I'm just a 0L like you guys, but aren't doc reviewers like the admin assistants of law?

merc280

Postby merc280 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:46 pm

upfish wrote:
merc280 wrote:

I'm just a 0L like you guys, but aren't doc reviewers like the admin assistants of law?

its stuff that paralegals can do. Plus this guy I know,even though he passed the bar on the first try he still is picking up random contract positions, but nothing major.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:47 pm

upfish wrote:
merc280 wrote:

You'd be surprised how many of the "XX% of our graduates are employed within 9 months" are document reviewers. I don't have a specific source to cite, but anecdotally know a few people from various schools that have classmates doing this.

roarthur

Postby roarthur » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:33 am

Just sent the LOCI. Hopefully it helps!

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:00 am

I can't tell y'all how many people have screamed at me that even at free, TSU is a VERY bad choice, and I have absolutely no intention of actually going there.

txag10

Postby txag10 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:19 am

Anyone going tonight to the Houston ASD?

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:57 pm

Come on STCL, we can do this together. Easily.

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:17 pm

txadv11 wrote:Come on STCL, we can do this together. Easily.

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

Nice.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:27 pm

Just got a reply from my negotiation email, and they said no, they do not re-evaluate scholarship offers. They really must not want me to go there. I just wish I had better options so I could let them know what I think of them.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:30 pm

jacketman03 wrote:Just got a reply from my negotiation email, and they said no, they do not re-evaluate scholarship offers. They really must not want me to go there. I just wish I had better options so I could let them know what I think of them.

+1

TexasGE

Postby TexasGE » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:31 pm

^ BOO! Still no decisions today....GRRRRRR!

gigemgirl12

Postby gigemgirl12 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:32 pm

I graduated from Texas A&M in 2009 with a BA in POLS and a heck of a resume. I have been working for a personal injury attorney in Houston, TX since I graduated and would like to start law school (preferably in Houston) this fall. My GPA stinks at a 2.6 and I didn't exactly shine on the LSAT with a 149. Like I said my resume is solid with various leadership positions, extracurricular athletics (marathons, triathlons, etc), 2 study abroad experiences, and working part-time since my sophomore year of college. My recs are fantastic too; one from a study abroad professor at Texas A&M, one from a college job manager, and one from the attorney I currently work for. Chances of getting into South Texas College of Law full time program starting in the Fall? I'm so nervous.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:42 pm

Dear Dumbshit Applicant:

Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately, we do not re-evaluate scholarship offers. At South Texas, we allocate most of our scholarship dollars to our continuing students, so if you do decide to come here and you do well your first year, you would be eligible for aid during your 2L and 3L years.

I'm sorry we can't offer you a scholarship at this point, however, we certainly hope you will consider joining us this fall. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Anyone headin' to the bar? lol

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:45 pm

txadv11 wrote:
Dear Dumbshit Applicant:

Thank you for your e-mail. Unfortunately, we do not re-evaluate scholarship offers. At South Texas, we allocate most of our scholarship dollars to our continuing students, so if you do decide to come here and you do well your first year, you would be eligible for aid during your 2L and 3L years.

I'm sorry we can't offer you a scholarship at this point, however, we certainly hope you will consider joining us this fall. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Anyone headin' to the bar? lol

Haha, I thought about posting the email, but I didn't feel like it.

On another note, those of you that have been admitted, if you have other options, TAKE THEM.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:46 pm

gigemgirl12 wrote:I graduated from Texas A&M in 2009 with a BA in POLS and a heck of a resume. I have been working for a personal injury attorney in Houston, TX since I graduated and would like to start law school (preferably in Houston) this fall. My GPA stinks at a 2.6 and I didn't exactly shine on the LSAT with a 149. Like I said my resume is solid with various leadership positions, extracurricular athletics (marathons, triathlons, etc), 2 study abroad experiences, and working part-time since my sophomore year of college. My recs are fantastic too; one from a study abroad professor at Texas A&M, one from a college job manager, and one from the attorney I currently work for. Chances of getting into South Texas College of Law full time program starting in the Fall? I'm so nervous.

Don't take this the wrong way, but its really just a numbers game. Going off of "most official" data I can find: people in your numerical category were accepted 4 out of 61 applicants.
--LinkRemoved--

To put it into perspective, Tonio, a fellow member on this forum was rejected with a similar GPA, and 13 points higher LSAT. It never hurts to try, and you'll miss 100% of the chances you don't take, but just be ready.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:46 pm

gigemgirl12 wrote:I graduated from Texas A&M in 2009 with a BA in POLS and a heck of a resume. I have been working for a personal injury attorney in Houston, TX since I graduated and would like to start law school (preferably in Houston) this fall. My GPA stinks at a 2.6 and I didn't exactly shine on the LSAT with a 149. Like I said my resume is solid with various leadership positions, extracurricular athletics (marathons, triathlons, etc), 2 study abroad experiences, and working part-time since my sophomore year of college. My recs are fantastic too; one from a study abroad professor at Texas A&M, one from a college job manager, and one from the attorney I currently work for. Chances of getting into South Texas College of Law full time program starting in the Fall? I'm so nervous.

Howdy,

Unfortunately, you're probably not gonna get in :(

Edit: If you're URM, you have a slightly better chance, but it's still not good. I'm an African American male with a 161/2.56, and the only schools I've gotten into so far are STCL and TSU.

gigemgirl12

Postby gigemgirl12 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:58 pm

jacketman03 wrote:

Howdy,

Edit: If you're URM, you have a slightly better chance, but it's still not good. I'm an African American male with a 161/2.56, and the only schools I've gotten into so far are STCL and TSU.

I'm Hispanic but I do not think we're minorities anymore.

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:03 pm

gigemgirl12 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

Howdy,

I'm Hispanic but I do not think we're minorities anymore.

You could be, although I believe in many cases the school "chooses" what is and what isn't URM. (example, Cuban)
Either way, as you can probably tell from this thread, scholarships are not plentiful, and actually I think 158 LSATs and 3.3 GPAs are needed.
Last edited by txadv11 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”