South Texas 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jacketman03

Silver

Re: South Texas 2011

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:03 pm

Tonio wrote:I use my LSU email address for my lsac stuff or whatever so the only stuff that goes to that email is LSU alumni garbage and law school info so i as well freak everytime i see 1 new email (typically lsu asking me for money, just spent 5 years paying these turds and ive been out for a year and they already want my money lol)
Haha, I am not looking forward to the Association emails asking me to help our poor little Texas A&M once I graduate.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:04 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what is wrong with tech? I used to place it pretty high, but lately I hear people say bad things about it, makes me kinda rethink things!
It's not so much Tech, since I like the school itself, but rather Lubbock. I lived there for a couple years when I was a kid, and I have no desire to ever live there again. I really only applied there since it would be free if they had admitted me.
Oh, ok, I guess I can agree. I sure wish I could stay in Dallas, but SMU wasn't gonna happen, and TX Wesleyan would have to give me a really good $$$ offer, to persuade me away from STCL or one of the current $$$ offers.

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:06 pm

txadv11 wrote:Oh, ok, I guess I can agree. I sure wish I could stay in Dallas, but SMU wasn't gonna happen, and TX Wesleyan would have to give me a really good $$$ offer, to persuade me away from STCL or one of the current $$$ offers.
I'd like to go to law school in Dallas, as I'm from around there, but at this point the only way that I don't wind up going to STCL is if UH decides to admit me.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:09 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Oh, ok, I guess I can agree. I sure wish I could stay in Dallas, but SMU wasn't gonna happen, and TX Wesleyan would have to give me a really good $$$ offer, to persuade me away from STCL or one of the current $$$ offers.
I'd like to go to law school in Dallas, as I'm from around there, but at this point the only way that I don't wind up going to STCL is if UH decides to admit me.
By the way, you are an Aggie, right?

What's the relationship between STCL and A&M? I know they tried to actually print "A&M, South Texas College of Law" on the degree a few years ago, but someone shit a brick and they stopped that.
They offer a 3+3 BS/JD, but besides that is there anything I'm missing?

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:10 pm

Its gonna be between loyola and south texas for me, im thinking i will get into both. And i have to decide if i wanna stay near home and go to loyola and pay the outrageous tuition, or go to houston pay less money and go to school in a location with a much better job market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:11 pm

txadv11 wrote:By the way, you are an Aggie, right?

What's the relationship between STCL and A&M? I know they tried to actually print "A&M, South Texas College of Law" on the degree a few years ago, but someone shit a brick and they stopped that.
They offer a 3+3 BS/JD, but besides that is there anything I'm missing?
Yes, I'm an Aggie, and I know there's a nice connection between the two schools, and the JD/MBA thing is with A&M's Mays School of Business. I remember something about A&M trying to buy it, but some people (most Ags will say t-sips in Austin) said no to it.

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:13 pm

Tonio wrote:Its gonna be between loyola and south texas for me, im thinking i will get into both. And i have to decide if i wanna stay near home and go to loyola and pay the outrageous tuition, or go to houston pay less money and go to school in a location with a much better job market.
At STCL you don't have to learn the civil code, which I would think would be a bit less stressful and all.

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:14 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
Tonio wrote:Its gonna be between loyola and south texas for me, im thinking i will get into both. And i have to decide if i wanna stay near home and go to loyola and pay the outrageous tuition, or go to houston pay less money and go to school in a location with a much better job market.
At STCL you don't have to learn the civil code, which I would think would be a bit less stressful and all.
ya but ultimately ill prolly have to learn it anyways, cuz if i go to south texas ill get a job in houston just cuz it will be easier but eventually ill return to the motherland Lousiana (even though ironically i was born in texas just never spent anytime there)

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:16 pm

my understanding is that South Texas is very stressful, and its one of the most cut throat schools in the country. Like with people clawing their way to the top fo their class not caring who they leave in the dust, and i got friends at oyola who say its real chill. So thats also something for me to consider
Last edited by Tonio on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:17 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
+1, I actually asked the LSU rep about this and she said they offer the "napoleonic law/code" along with the typical JD, and I think she mentioned you get two certifications or something like that. Either way, ultimately, I chose not to apply to LA schools (applied to every school in OK, AR, MS, and most of TX) because of the portability of the code scares me away.

On a side note, I went to school near the border of TX/LA, and took many trips to Shreveport and Bossier City. Mmm, daiquiris. 8)

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:18 pm

Tonio wrote:my understanding is that South Texas is very stressful, and its one of the most cut throat schools in the country. Like with people clawing their way to the top fo their class not caring who they leave in the dust, and i got friends and loyola who says its real chill. So thats also something for me to consider
Shit, are you serious? I was thinking of transferring IF things didn't work out...

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:18 pm

txadv11 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:
+1, I actually asked the LSU rep about this and she said they offer the "napoleonic law/code" along with the typical JD, and I think she mentioned you get two certifications or something like that. Either way, ultimately, I chose not to apply to LA schools (applied to every school in OK, AR, MS, and most of TX) because of the portability of the code scares me away.

On a side note, I went to school near the border of TX/LA, and took many trips to Shreveport and Bossier City. Mmm, daiquiris. 8)
Lol i got a lot of boys from portcity they actually coming in tonite for some mardi gras parades. The napoleonic code is hyped like its this big deal and so different, its really more the name than anything the laws are essentially all the same

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:20 pm

txadv11 wrote:
Tonio wrote:my understanding is that South Texas is very stressful, and its one of the most cut throat schools in the country. Like with people clawing their way to the top fo their class not caring who they leave in the dust, and i got friends and loyola who says its real chill. So thats also something for me to consider
Shit, are you serious? I was thinking of transferring IF things didn't work out...
That's the first I've heard of this, I've always heard that it wasn't that competitive for a 3rd tier school.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:20 pm

txadv11 wrote:
ya you can look it up thats the perception i got from it. Lot of people going there cuz its only place they could get in and killing to be in the top
(my sis works for a King kong firm in H-town and thats what she was telling me (she graduated second in her class at tulane, goody two shoes))
Last edited by Tonio on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Tonio wrote:
txadv11 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:

Lol i got a lot of boys from portcity they actually coming in tonite for some mardi gras parades. The napoleonic code is hyped like its this big deal and so different, its really more the name than anything the laws are essentially all the same
Not to get into a political discussion, but after seeing Spike Lee's "If God Is Willing and Da Creek Don't Rise", about post-Katrina conditions, I thought about applying to schools there.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:22 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:
That's the first I've heard of this, I've always heard that it wasn't that competitive for a 3rd tier school.
Same, and it is actually 4th tier :oops: . But supposedly one of the best trial ad and legal writing schools around.

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:23 pm

Louisiana is a great place to live, if its not to late it wouldnt hurt you to apply to lsu and loyola

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:24 pm

txadv11 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:
Same, and it is actually 4th tier :oops: . But supposedly one of the best trial ad and legal writing schools around.
3rd tier, 4th tier, is there really a difference once USNWR stops numbering them? Although, when I think of 4th tier, I think Texas Southern, Cooley, etc, and I think STCL is better than those.

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:24 pm

ya thats the worst, south texas is ranked with ave maria, florida coastal, cooley etc etc. and its miles ahead of those places

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:25 pm

Tonio wrote:Louisiana is a great place to live, if its not to late it wouldnt hurt you to apply to lsu and loyola
I would have applied to LSU, but they don't give fee waivers for LSAC fee waivers.

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:25 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
Tonio wrote:Louisiana is a great place to live, if its not to late it wouldnt hurt you to apply to lsu and loyola
I would have applied to LSU, but they don't give fee waivers for LSAC fee waivers.
LSU is wicked hard to get into as well, really good law school

But let me tell you from 5 years of experience BATON ROUGE BLOWS, big time. NOLA is 50 times better
Last edited by Tonio on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:26 pm

Tonio wrote:ya thats the worst, south texas is ranked with ave maria, florida coastal, cooley etc etc. and its miles ahead of those places
All I know is that you can apparently get a decent job with a STCL degree, whereas its more dicey at some of those other schools.

roarthur

New

Post by roarthur » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:27 pm

txadv11 wrote:
Tonio wrote:
abcd wrote:Ya im at a 151. That makes me feel slightly better! I just wish I would hear back from them already
fingers crossed we find out at the sametime. Not sure i can stomach another day of "yay im in" no offense quite happy for everyone actually but the hearing nothing is horrible
--LinkRemoved--
(scroll to bottom chart) Hopefully that will take some of the guess-work out of things.

Wow, I dont know where you found that but it is awesome. It gave me back the glimmer of hope that I lost as the days go by haha it says they admin 100/115 in my range. 86%. I'd say the odds are in my favor! Thanks!

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:28 pm

Honestly, I've done too much research and know at least someone from almost every TX school. At the moment MY rankings are:
1. UT
2. SMU
3. Houston
4. Baylor
5. Tech
6. STCL
7. St. Mary's
8. Texas Wesleyan
9. TSU-Thurgood Marshall

note- SMU-Houston-Baylor can flip flop when you compare market, cost, specialty etc
also St. Mary's and Wesleyan are pretty close IMHO.

But for what I want to do (again, litigation, criminal, appellate), I'd say Baylor and STCL are the obvious choice.

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:28 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
Tonio wrote:ya thats the worst, south texas is ranked with ave maria, florida coastal, cooley etc etc. and its miles ahead of those places
All I know is that you can apparently get a decent job with a STCL degree, whereas its more dicey at some of those other schools.
Ya i just want a job in the DA's office (sadly thats not that easy anymore). I wanna work prosecution for a few years then once i get the ropes of how the prosecution works etc etc ill start private practice criminal law and ill know how they work and know how to go at them. thats the dream (tell yall how it works out in 9 years)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”