South Texas 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
txadv11

Silver

Re: South Texas 2011

Post by txadv11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:30 pm

roarthur wrote:
txadv11 wrote:
Tonio wrote:
abcd wrote:Ya im at a 151. That makes me feel slightly better! I just wish I would hear back from them already
fingers crossed we find out at the sametime. Not sure i can stomach another day of "yay im in" no offense quite happy for everyone actually but the hearing nothing is horrible
--LinkRemoved--
(scroll to bottom chart) Hopefully that will take some of the guess-work out of things.

Wow, I dont know where you found that but it is awesome. It gave me back the glimmer of hope that I lost as the days go by haha it says they admin 100/115 in my range. 86%. I'd say the odds are in my favor! Thanks!
No problem, and here https://officialguide.lsac.org/release/ ... fault.aspx, have fun with that. I feel like I have looked through every school LOL.

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:31 pm

txadv11 wrote:Honestly, I've done too much research and know at least someone from almost every TX school. At the moment MY rankings are:
1. UT
2. SMU
3. Houston
4. Baylor
5. Tech
6. STCL
7. St. Mary's
8. Texas Wesleyan
9. TSU-Thurgood Marshall

note- SMU-Houston-Baylor can flip flop when you compare market, cost, specialty etc
also St. Mary's and Wesleyan are pretty close IMHO.

But for what I want to do (again, litigation, criminal, appellate), I'd say Baylor and STCL are the obvious choice.
That sounds about like my rankings of the schools here, but I'd flip UH and SMU for me since UH would be free and SMU would not.
Also, I would say if you're more interested in working in Houston, you could maybe flip Tech and STCL, but other than that I wouldn't.

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:32 pm

lunch break at work, be back to waste time wit yall in like 40 PEACE

roarthur

New

Post by roarthur » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:36 pm

Earlier someone said the status checker can change to in review? Is that also true for STCL? Mine has just said complete since December 1st. I certainly hope they've at least looked at mine.

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:38 pm

roarthur wrote:Earlier someone said the status checker can change to in review? Is that also true for STCL? Mine has just said complete since December 1st. I certainly hope they've at least looked at mine.
Mine just went from Complete to Admitted.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:41 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Honestly, I've done too much research and know at least someone from almost every TX school. At the moment MY rankings are:
1. UT
2. SMU
3. Houston
4. Baylor
5. Tech
6. STCL
7. St. Mary's
8. Texas Wesleyan
9. TSU-Thurgood Marshall

note- SMU-Houston-Baylor can flip flop when you compare market, cost, specialty etc
also St. Mary's and Wesleyan are pretty close IMHO.

But for what I want to do (again, litigation, criminal, appellate), I'd say Baylor and STCL are the obvious choice.
That sounds about like my rankings of the schools here, but I'd flip UH and SMU for me since UH would be free and SMU would not.
Also, I would say if you're more interested in working in Houston, you could maybe flip Tech and STCL, but other than that I wouldn't.
Yeah, let me preface this post by saying, big-law is probably limited to the top 3% IF it is even availible to STCL, let alone most of the TX schools besides UT. However, I found it particularly interesting to go to the bigger firms with Dallas AND Houston offices and view the attorney's profiles. You'll begin to notice 1. T14 grads, 2. UT grads, 3. SMU grads, and then very few of the other 7 TX schools.
http://www.velaw.com/lawyers/lawyersear ... p=&id=1134
http://www.bakerbotts.com/lawyers/ (note that they have around 5-6 STCL grads and I think 3-4 are the valedictorian from their respective year)
http://www.fulbright.com/FAA_adv

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:49 pm

txadv11 wrote:Yeah, let me preface this post by saying, big-law is probably limited to the top 3% IF it is even availible to STCL, let alone most of the TX schools besides UT. However, I found it particularly interesting to go to the bigger firms with Dallas AND Houston offices and view the attorney's profiles. You'll begin to notice 1. T14 grads, 2. UT grads, 3. SMU grads, and then very few of the other 7 TX schools.
http://www.bakerbotts.com/lawyers/ (note that they have around 5-6 STCL grads and I think 3-4 are the valedictorian from their respective year)
If you go to any school in Texas other than UT (or maybe SMU) depending on big-law, I've got a bridge to sell you. Although, and I don't know how accurate it is, if you go to nalpdirectory.com and do an advanced search, there are 36 firms in Texas that say they do OCI at STCL. Again, put however much stock into that as you want (I don't put a whole lot). I would be perfectly fine going to STCL and getting a job around $50-60k, although I would much prefer UH due to the lack of debt that it would offer.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:51 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Yeah, let me preface this post by saying, big-law is probably limited to the top 3% IF it is even availible to STCL, let alone most of the TX schools besides UT. However, I found it particularly interesting to go to the bigger firms with Dallas AND Houston offices and view the attorney's profiles. You'll begin to notice 1. T14 grads, 2. UT grads, 3. SMU grads, and then very few of the other 7 TX schools.
If you go to any school in Texas other than UT (or maybe SMU) depending on big-law, I've got a bridge to sell you. Although, and I don't know how accurate it is, if you go to nalpdirectory.com and do an advanced search, there are 36 firms in Texas that say they do OCI at STCL. Again, put however much stock into that as you want (I don't put a whole lot). I would be perfectly fine going to STCL and getting a job around $50-60k, although I would much prefer UH due to the lack of debt that it would offer.
Thanks for the link! By the way, http://www.stcl.edu/fao/faoforms/1011_L ... ayment.pdf if you haven't read that, it may ease your mind....a little bit.

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:53 pm

txadv11 wrote:Thanks for the link! By the way, http://www.stcl.edu/fao/faoforms/1011_L ... ayment.pdf if you haven't read that, it may ease your mind....a little bit.
Yeah, I've seen that, and a little bit of LRAP is better than none, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:56 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:Thanks for the link! By the way, http://www.stcl.edu/fao/faoforms/1011_L ... ayment.pdf if you haven't read that, it may ease your mind....a little bit.
Yeah, I've seen that, and a little bit of LRAP is better than none, right?
Yeah, I mean after looking around we (potentially) are extremely lucky, seeing as most LRAP is within the T50 schools! Factor in the TEG (grant) that is on average 2-4 grand, and the costs seem a bit more reasonable.
Not to mention the campus is pretty nice, and I've been to law schools ranging from Florida Int't law, Arkansas Law, Oklahoma City, Tech, etc etc. Baylor being the nicest, and STCL is a strong 2nd, factoring location, I may call it the best (aesthetically speaking) school. --specifically the nicest courtroom. Another example, I've been to several schools that have all, 50 or so, total awards, medals, ribbons, thropies, for moot court stuff in one 50sqft case. STCL has so many (100+ national titles in just moot court alone) they line up and down the halls on numerous floors.
Last edited by txadv11 on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:58 pm

txadv11 wrote:Yeah, I mean after looking around we (potentially) are extremely lucky, seeing as most LRAP is within the T50 schools! Factor in the TEG (grant) that is on average 2-4 grand, and the costs seem a bit more reasonable.
Not to mention the campus is pretty nice, and I've been to law schools ranging from Florida Int't law, Arkansas Law, Oklahoma City, Tech, etc etc. Baylor being the nicest, and STCL is a strong 2nd, factoring location, I may call it the best (aesthetically speaking) school.
Yeah, STCL isn't a bad choice, and it's location can't hurt in terms of networking, etc.

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:09 pm

South Texas has like the best job aspects for any tier 3 or 4 school, thus why I am praying they just let me in already

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:13 pm

Tonio wrote:South Texas has like the best job aspects for any tier 3 or 4 school, thus why I am praying they just let me in already
I was told to do this by an admissions officer at another school, but take it for what it is worth.

If nothing happens in the next week or so, call STCL and tell them that they are your top choice (if true), but that other schools have seat deposit deadlines coming up soon, and you'd just like to know if they could let you know before the other deadlines pass, just in case. Make sure they know that the other schools are back-ups, and you have been wanting STCL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:22 pm

the deadlines for the schools i will most likely go to are all april i believe so im panicking now but if i dont hear anything in the next week in a half ill be in full losing my shit mode

TT09

Bronze

Post by TT09 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:26 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what is wrong with tech? I used to place it pretty high, but lately I hear people say bad things about it, makes me kinda rethink things!
It's not so much Tech, since I like the school itself, but rather Lubbock. I lived there for a couple years when I was a kid, and I have no desire to ever live there again. I really only applied there since it would be free if they had admitted me.
I can ASSURE you that Lubbock "when you were a kid" and Lubbock now are like night and day; there is no comparison. Lubbock is amazing and Tech is a very good law school in the state of Texas. The location should not be holding you back on your decision if you're considering Tech.

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:29 pm

TT09 wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:
txadv11 wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what is wrong with tech? I used to place it pretty high, but lately I hear people say bad things about it, makes me kinda rethink things!
It's not so much Tech, since I like the school itself, but rather Lubbock. I lived there for a couple years when I was a kid, and I have no desire to ever live there again. I really only applied there since it would be free if they had admitted me.
I can ASSURE you that Lubbock "when you were a kid" and Lubbock now are like night and day; there is no comparison. Lubbock is amazing and Tech is a very good law school in the state of Texas. The location should not be holding you back on your decision if you're considering Tech.
Oh, its a moot point now, they rejected me about a month ago.

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:36 pm

ive found the great thing about applying to law school is im convinced that whichever law school i go to none of them are fun, as long as i graduate i get to be a lawyer and eventually ill get a job. So its made rejections not bother me at all, i thought id be more upset by them but everytime i get one i normally crack a smile

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TexasGE

Bronze

Post by TexasGE » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:17 pm

I am still waiting......

What is the subject line of the acceptance email? Does it say 'Congratulations' or what?? Sorry I am just boreddddddd and tired of waiting.

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:20 pm

TexasGE wrote:I am still waiting......

What is the subject line of the acceptance email? Does it say 'Congratulations' or what?? Sorry I am just boreddddddd and tired of waiting.
The subject was "South Texas College of Law Decision Notification"

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:32 pm

I hate South Texas College of Law. but i really would love to go there :lol:

TexasGE

Bronze

Post by TexasGE » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:37 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
TexasGE wrote:I am still waiting......

The subject was "South Texas College of Law Decision Notification"
Ahhhh - that is kind of scary!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:44 pm

yeah I really hope I get in at this school. I'd rather transfer to a t-14 from STCL than from St. Mary's, which is where I would be going if STCL doesn't let me in.

abcd

New

Post by abcd » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:50 pm

did anyone hear back today?

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:53 pm

I aent huuuurd sheeet

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:58 pm

my stupid status checker hasn't changed since the 13th of January. I think that probably means rejection. Does St. Mary's place well in San Antonio?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”