South Texas 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
texas man

Bronze

Re: South Texas 2011

Post by texas man » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:57 pm

txadv11 wrote:Let me ask you Tech people this.

Compare STCL to Tech--assume for a minute that tuition is EQUAL, with a slightly higher cost of living in Houston. Where/how do Tech's grads place? Dallas? Houston? West TX?
Tech is tier 3 with more of a "ring" in the name to the average public, while STCL is tier 4 (whats the real difference) seems to have a higher pull for criminal lawyers and judges, but probably strictly in "south" Texas
A Tech "person" doesn't necessarily have to answer this question—it is primarily a question of statistics.

Tech grads place well in Texas, however there are fewer Tech grads in Houston compared to other areas. Importantly, Dean Fortney just released the nine-month employment rate for the Class of 2010: 97.26%, which is up approximately 8% over the Class of 2009. A lot of credit should also go to Tech's Career Services department, which is excellent.

A relevant site to look at demographic data per county is here: http://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm ... mic_Trends. When looking at this data, keep in mind that South Texas is the largest law school in Texas (per student population), while Tech is one of the smallest.

That said, South Texas has a very good reputation in Houston and the surrounding areas. This is especially pertinent because Houston is such a large legal market. Also, South Texas has an excellent reputation among all law schools for trial advocacy. Last school year, South Texas was ranked first in the nation for performance in advocacy competitions. At the same time, Texas Tech has an excellent reputation among all law schools for trial advocacy, and last year, Tech was ranked third in the nation for performance in advocacy competitions. So far this school year, Tech has won three national championships (including the prestigious National Moot Court Competition) and three regional championships.

Now, taking out the salient factor of total cost of eduction (which includes tuition and cost of living), one should look at bar passage rates, percentage of grads employed after nine months, clinical programs, dual degree programs and foreign exchange programs (if these are important to you), and reputation in the area you want to work. Maybe also (if important to you), look at Order of the Coif distinction, and what percentage of professors are members of the ALI. There may be some other factors I haven't listed.

Another difference that comes to mind is that South Texas is independent from a university and is therefore self-sustaining financially. The fact that Texas Tech's law school is connected to a large university allows leverage in financing for the law school—this can be especially important when hiring professors or making improvements to the facilities.

When looking at regional law schools (those outside the T14), the USNWR is practically meaningless. Schools in their respective regions are evaluated based on their reputations in those regions (and sometimes these are in narrow local areas—this is the case with South Texas in the Houston area).

If you want to work in Houston or the surrounding areas, South Texas is an excellent choice. If you want to work in Dallas/Ft. Worth, Austin, San Antonio, or West Texas, Texas Tech is a great choice; South Texas won't "break" into these markets as well as Tech.

In any event, before attending law school, I highly recommend visiting the schools you are considering before making a final decision.

For disclosure, I am currently a law student at Texas Tech and have never attended South Texas.

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:46 pm

^^^ Good post, thanks.

Further research provided a 10 page battle on the subject.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=116849

sceva31st

New

Post by sceva31st » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:59 am

txadv11 wrote:^^^ Good post, thanks.

That was a painful read LOL

texas man

Bronze

Post by texas man » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:06 am

sceva31st wrote:

That was a painful read LOL
Yes. From what I remember, it was painful. :)

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:04 am

That thread is awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

abcd

New

Post by abcd » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 am

Here we go again...

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:45 am

abcd wrote:Here we go again...
LOL lets saddle up 8)

(we have like three weeks to send off deposits for schools, man this is brutal. Got an email today from one of the schools i got in that sent me a case im supposed to read for the accepted students day. :shock: lets go South Texas)

txadv11

Silver

Post by txadv11 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:47 am

Come on future classmates!
8)

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:51 am

Something about seeing "application complete" that just makes me die inside. Id prefer it to be blank, or keep waiting, or we hate you. Maybe ive just seen it so many times, but lord knows i hate those words

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

abcd

New

Post by abcd » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:57 am

Tonio wrote:Something about seeing "application complete" that just makes me die inside. Id prefer it to be blank, or keep waiting, or we hate you. Maybe ive just seen it so many times, but lord knows i hate those words
I know exactly how you feel! They need to rip the band aid already!

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:13 pm

Here's to many happy admits this week, future classmates :D

roarthur

New

Post by roarthur » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Tonio wrote:Something about seeing "application complete" that just makes me die inside. Id prefer it to be blank, or keep waiting, or we hate you. Maybe ive just seen it so many times, but lord knows i hate those words

I couldn't have said that any better.

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:19 pm

Its quiet.................a little too quiet. Any news anyone? :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ab7

New

Post by ab7 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:28 pm

No news here...the wait is killing me. Does anyone know when they should get all notices out? This week or next?

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:31 pm

ab7 wrote:No news here...the wait is killing me. Does anyone know when they should get all notices out? This week or next?
Not a clue but id think it would have to be this week or next, i mean all these schools want us to commit on or by april 1st how could they possibly make us wait longer than next week lol :lol: watch them do it anyway

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Tonio wrote:
ab7 wrote:No news here...the wait is killing me. Does anyone know when they should get all notices out? This week or next?
Not a clue but id think it would have to be this week or next, i mean all these schools want us to commit on or by april 1st how could they possibly make us wait longer than next week lol :lol: watch them do it anyway
Well, according to LSN, they were fairly active the second week of March last cycle, with 5 decisions with a date that week vs 2 the week before. Of course, the year before that they had 7 in the first week of March. So it would seem like this should be a good week for decisions to come out.

abcd

New

Post by abcd » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:43 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
Tonio wrote:
Well, according to LSN, they were fairly active the second week of March last cycle, with 5 decisions with a date that week vs 2 the week before. Of course, the year before that they had 7 in the first week of March. So it would seem like this should be a good week for decisions to come out.
This truly is torture! Anyone think we'll hear back today?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:45 pm

abcd wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:
Tonio wrote:
This truly is torture! Anyone think we'll hear back today?
I thought i would have heard back a 1 month and a half ago :roll:

abcd

New

Post by abcd » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:54 pm

Between Wesleyan and South Texas, which would you guys prefer and why?

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:01 pm

abcd wrote:Between Wesleyan and South Texas, which would you guys prefer and why?
I would say South Texas because it seems to have a better reputation in Houston than Texas Wesleyan has in Ft. Worth. Also, I've heard that Texas Wesleyan's scholarship amounts are odd (you get less in your 2L and 3L years). I don't know about the scholarship stuff for sure, though, as I'm still waiting on a decision from Texas Wesleyan.

abcd

New

Post by abcd » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:03 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
abcd wrote:Between Wesleyan and South Texas, which would you guys prefer and why?
I would say South Texas because it seems to have a better reputation in Houston than Texas Wesleyan has in Ft. Worth. Also, I've heard that Texas Wesleyan's scholarship amounts are odd (you get less in your 2L and 3L years). I don't know about the scholarship stuff for sure, though, as I'm still waiting on a decision from Texas Wesleyan.
Have you gotten into South Texas already? Also which is slightly harder to get into?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:05 pm

Ive never heard of wesleyan or wutever, probably because I don't live in Texas. My perception of South Texas has been that it is a diamond in the rough of lower tier schools

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:07 pm

abcd wrote:
jacketman03 wrote:
Have you gotten into South Texas already? Also which is slightly harder to get into?
Yeah, I got admitted to South Texas on 2/23, and I'm almost 100% sure I'll be going there. Also, it looks like they both admit about the same percentage of applicants, but STCL's LSAT and GPA numbers are a bit higher than Texas Wesleyan.

abcd

New

Post by abcd » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Ya I always thought South Texas was slightly better too, but then ive known some friends who got into South Texas but not Wesleyan so I was a little confused

Tonio

Bronze

Post by Tonio » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:12 pm

abcd wrote:Ya I always thought South Texas was slightly better too, but then ive known some friends who got into South Texas but not Wesleyan so I was a little confused
Some or i should say alot of schools will turn down people they think wont go to the schools. So sometimes you will apply to a school you know you could get into or you scored higher than alot of the people there but you get rejected. Its so the school can be like we accepted 800-700 decided to attend we leet skeet

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”