University of Utah 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lalala21

Re: University of Utah 2011

Postby lalala21 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:58 pm

I think there is still some home. I have been accepted at Utah (and put down the first seat deposit) but I am doing everything I can to get off a waitlist at another school that is above and beyond my first choice..... so fingers crossed for you and me I guess. :)

wardboro

Postby wardboro » Sat May 14, 2011 9:37 pm

I just collected my Utah JD yesterday.

A few observations from my time:

1)Socially there was a place for everyone. It's clique-y and there's not always a lot of crossover between the friend groups, but I don't think there was anyone I was aware of who didn't have some social support network within the school.

2)It's a good school, but be cautious about taking statements about how great the school is at face value. The school has an interest in promoting itself in the best light possible (as does any school) and if you take their word at face value you will find yourself disappointed down the line. The international/anti-terrorism/world-changing/solving-the-most-pressing-problems-of-our-time rhetoric is mostly just talk.

3)I assume that the job market will recover (to some degree) by the time you get out, but less than half of my class is employed. It's a jungle out there for everyone looking for legal employment in the State of Utah and Quinney grads are no exception.

4)It isn't a terribly competitive academic environment, so you have a real chance to succeed if you work hard. The tippy top of the class is made up of people who are genuinely smart. The remainder of the top 20% is mostly people who work hard. I've never used it, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a used copy of Getting to Maybe and maybe the LEEWS CD course to try to improve my test-taking ability. There are a lot of very smart kids who didn't understand how to take law school exams who did not do well their first semester. Even though they did very well the rest of law school they weren't able to shed the mistakes of the first semester and it has severely impacted their ability to find employment.

5)The law review/other journal write-on competition is a MUST. Fewer people than you think will actually try to write onto a journal. If you put together a good paper that is interesting (remember that your audience is students on law review--not faculty members) you have a decent shot at getting on. Don't plan to grade on.

6)Choose to opt out of the "open forum" law school list-serv early in your law school career. You'll avoid drama. You won't have to learn how shallow and abrasive your classmates really are.

7)Please feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions. I appreciate my education here, but I'm very willing to give you a more critical viewpoint if you ask.

trace30

Postby trace30 » Mon May 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Mailer for 2nd seat deposit arrived today via US Mail with required form. Here is a link for those interested in renting Whose Monet? $17.98 for 130 day rental which can be extended. It's $41.00 new from Aspen Publishers and around $20.00 used. Use coupon code "SUN&SAND" for 5% off at checkout

trace30

Postby trace30 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:46 pm

SJ Quinney 1L Fall Schedule 2011

The only thing that varies here are the sections; the class times are all the same. The only other variable is Law 6190-Legal Research. This is a 0 credit hour class and is one day a week at anytime from 8:00a to 3:15P. The time will be assigned to you in August.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:56 pm

IN OFF THE WL THIS MORNING! I can't believe it! I went to work out and when I got back in my car I had 2 messages from Reyes saying I was in.

Ah good luck to everyone still waiting out, theres still hope.

lalala21

Postby lalala21 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:02 pm

congrats!! see you in the fall

Sewilcox

Postby Sewilcox » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:55 pm

DITTO!!!! I'm off the waitlist! YAAAYYYY!!!!

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:29 am

wardboro wrote:
6)Choose to opt out of the "open forum" law school list-serv early in your law school career. You'll avoid drama. You won't have to learn how shallow and abrasive your classmates really are.

I completely disagree with this. People will often post things (books, concert tickets, TVs, etc.) for sale on the open forum and you can find great deals. Also, how else will you be notified of bar review if you don't subscribe to the open forum?

To the incoming class, Welcome. I have Whose Monet and I would be willing to part with it for $10. It's not in great shape, but there is little to no highlighting (not necessary during intro week). Good luck.

brwaterman

Postby brwaterman » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:29 pm

Just withdrew with money so that may open up something for someone

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”