University of Utah 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dpca

New

Re: University of Utah 2011

Post by dpca » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:46 pm

BSM i got rejected as well. I have been accepted to other good schools so I am surprised. Now looking at schools in Cali. Good luck to all

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:48 pm

Bsm, you getting rejected is bs. Sorry to hear about that. I hope we can go to byu and be legit. Guess I owe you that smart water.

bsm909

Bronze

Post by bsm909 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:19 pm

I think I owe you. I bet that I would take longer to hear than you. I didn't (unless you have news?!) So I'll be bringing you a Sprite. Hopefully to the ASD :)

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:25 pm

Oh I thought I bet that you would hear back before me. But I accept the sprite anyway! Seeing those others get rejected from byu has me hoping. Sigh.

Drumsetdude

New

Post by Drumsetdude » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:35 pm

To the people who got a second review date on 3/17 (as I did) and then got rejected, did your status online change to "decision letter sent" or something, or did you not know anything until you got the letter in the mail? I'm just worried because I live far away from Utah and I'm hoping I won't be getting a rejection letter in the mail on Monday.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clbarret

New

Post by clbarret » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:06 pm

My status changed to 3/17 and I got my rejection letter today. The status still says "in review 3/17", so no it did not say a letter was sent. I am pretty sad about this one...wish I would have at least got wait listed. I don't have amazing numbers (160, 3.5), but thought that they were good enough to get at least a wait list :(

Congrats to everyone who got in though.

bsm909

Bronze

Post by bsm909 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:42 pm

clbarret wrote:My status changed to 3/17 and I got my rejection letter today. The status still says "in review 3/17", so no it did not say a letter was sent. I am pretty sad about this one...wish I would have at least got wait listed. I don't have amazing numbers (160, 3.5), but thought that they were good enough to get at least a wait list :(

+1

SunDevil07

New

Post by SunDevil07 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:12 pm

clbarret wrote:My status changed to 3/17 and I got my rejection letter today. The status still says "in review 3/17", so no it did not say a letter was sent. I am pretty sad about this one...wish I would have at least got wait listed. I don't have amazing numbers (160, 3.5), but thought that they were good enough to get at least a wait list :(

+1

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:25 pm

In via phone call today. Said letter would be mailed tomorrow.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UtahPhi

New

Post by UtahPhi » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:09 pm

Just an additional update, I e-mailed about scholarship negotiation and got the same response as the previous two. Looks like what you get is what you get in terms of scholarships.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:15 pm

UtahPhi wrote:Just an additional update, I e-mailed about scholarship negotiation and got the same response as the previous two. Looks like what you get is what you get in terms of scholarships.
Whew, glad I am not alone. Well guys I am thinking I ought to go ahead and withdraw. With my small scholly it just isn't feasible. Probably won't go to the asd either. I hope to see some of you guys at byu at least and wish you all the best for those going to utah (unless we compete for jobs) :wink:

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:25 pm

Still waiting to hear from them. My status hasn't changed in ages and it's starting to get pretty close to the wire when it comes to making a decision on other schools. :-/

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Has anyone received a uNID yet? I just received a postcard from financial aid about incomplete info, and they want me to log into the portal to see what's missing. Seems like the wrong order of operations. I wonder if I missed something in the mail?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:03 pm

samaside wrote:Still waiting to hear from them. My status hasn't changed in ages and it's starting to get pretty close to the wire when it comes to making a decision on other schools. :-/
I feel like you have very solid/probable numbers as long as the rest of your application was strong. I don't know what's taking them so long in this case.

trace30

New

Post by trace30 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:19 pm

twozeroseven wrote:Has anyone received a uNID yet? I just received a postcard from financial aid about incomplete info, and they want me to log into the portal to see what's missing. Seems like the wrong order of operations. I wonder if I missed something in the mail?
I don't think you'll get it until they receive your seat deposit; if you've already sent it in, call admissions and see if they can ping IT Services to create one for you.

jowipa

New

Post by jowipa » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:26 pm

twozeroseven wrote:Has anyone received a uNID yet? I just received a postcard from financial aid about incomplete info, and they want me to log into the portal to see what's missing. Seems like the wrong order of operations. I wonder if I missed something in the mail?
I was given a uNID in my binder - I am an undergrad of Utah though and it was pretty much the same number so I don't know if it's different for those who didn't go to the U.

samaside

New

Post by samaside » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:27 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
samaside wrote:Still waiting to hear from them. My status hasn't changed in ages and it's starting to get pretty close to the wire when it comes to making a decision on other schools. :-/
I feel like you have very solid/probable numbers as long as the rest of your application was strong. I don't know what's taking them so long in this case.
I called them today and the chick said it would take another week to make a decision on the application. So, I don't know. I kind of need to apply for financial aid and their deadline is April 1st for financial aid applications so... I don't even know. I really want to go to Utah. But I'll be honest, my personal statement for Utah was kind of weak but my LORs were fantastic. My advisor wrote one of them and she has a long reputation of single handedly getting people into PhD programs. So it's probably a toss up. Hopefully I'll know for sure in another week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:36 pm

Havent you submitted your FAFSA to them? That is all you need to do, they will ask you to fill out a U form, but so long as your FAFSA is there, you should be good.

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:36 pm

trace30 wrote:
I don't think you'll get it until they receive your seat deposit; if you've already sent it in, call admissions and see if they can ping IT Services to create one for you.
That's what i assumed. I won't put down a deposit until after the open house, so i'll have to get on the phone and talk to the fin aid office. I would prefer to save everyone the trouble and do it online, but such is the system. Strange how some schools get your into their portal/email system as soon as you're offered admission -- others, not so much.

Pink

Bronze

Post by Pink » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:38 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
trace30 wrote:
That's what i assumed. I won't put down a deposit until after the open house, so i'll have to get on the phone and talk to the fin aid office. I would prefer to save everyone the trouble and do it online, but such is the system. Strange how some schools get your into their portal/email system as soon as you're offered admission -- others, not so much.
Mine was in my binder as well, although, I was also a Utah undergrad.

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:41 pm

samaside wrote:
twozeroseven wrote:
I called them today and the chick said it would take another week to make a decision on the application. So, I don't know. I kind of need to apply for financial aid and their deadline is April 1st for financial aid applications so... I don't even know. I really want to go to Utah. But I'll be honest, my personal statement for Utah was kind of weak but my LORs were fantastic. My advisor wrote one of them and she has a long reputation of single handedly getting people into PhD programs. So it's probably a toss up. Hopefully I'll know for sure in another week.
It would be nice to know before Monday so you could go to the open house to make sure you like SJQ. On the other hand, you really want to go to Utah but your personal statement was weak? Hopefully your gpa can make up for that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DHB

New

Post by DHB » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:04 pm

I had the same question. I didn't even know I had one until I emailed the finaid office and the response included, "Please use your UMail account for fin aid questions." When I didn't know what UMail was, I realized I needed this uNID as well. I think I found my number on my acceptance letter.

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:08 am

DHB wrote:
I had the same question. I didn't even know I had one until I emailed the finaid office and the response included, "Please use your UMail account for fin aid questions." When I didn't know what UMail was, I realized I needed this uNID as well. I think I found my number on my acceptance letter.
Yeah, that is the case. I didn't realize (until I did some searching) that the student ID number and the uNID are interchangeable (as long as you replace the leading 0 with a 'u'). Wouldn't you know, I got selected to verify my 1040 et al. Ug.

tsutsik

Bronze

Post by tsutsik » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:50 pm

Is anybody who attended the ASD willing to share their impressions?

buchy2009

Bronze

Post by buchy2009 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:16 am

tsutsik wrote:Is anybody who attended the ASD willing to share their impressions?
The faculty/students/staff in the law school all seemed very nice and collegial. Faculty and staff kept offering their cell phone numbers every chance they got which was nice in a way, but came off a little weird to me. I was surprised when I talked to students about their work load. It seemed like the students that I talked to about this said they only studied 2-3 hours/day on average.The building is on the older side of things, definitely nothing to write home about. Many of the students are married (some w/ children). A student noted that this hurts the social aspect of school in some ways.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”