University of San Diego 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dtl

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby dtl » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:03 am

ID like them as well if possible

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:22 am

+1

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:14 pm

gothamm wrote:took a campus tour recently and met up with a friend of a friend who is a 2L.

If someone would like me to post my impressions, they are not good :?

post. post post post! :)

caligulove

Postby caligulove » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:26 pm

swilson215 wrote:
gothamm wrote:took a campus tour recently and met up with a friend of a friend who is a 2L.

WHY HAVEN'T YOU POSTED YET!!!

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:51 pm

did anyone go to ASD today? i thought there was one... thoughts?

POSERmyLOVE

Postby POSERmyLOVE » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:35 pm

SFnative wrote:Called today, and the person on the phone told me a very large chunk of decisions will be happening mid-April, she also said many of which may be getting scholarship money as well.

Hang in there people...

This made me feel ALOT better, I got into Loyola LA but I really want to stay in San Diego!

Bearlegdairy

Postby Bearlegdairy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Any idea how to withdraw? They don't give you any kind of admitted students login and I don't really feel like calling.

RCRARollin

Postby RCRARollin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:23 am

toster19 wrote:I met with a USD 2L today and he gave me some interesting info on scholarship renewal. All first year students are placed into 1 of 5 sections. You have all the same students in your sections and each class within each section is curved. Thus, you are competing with students within your own section for grades. Supposedly, in order to save some money on scholarship renewal, almost all scholarship recipients are placed in the same section so it is near impossible for everyone to be in the top 33%.

I'm a current USD student and your friend is incorrect about all the scholarships being in one section. That is just a rumor put forth by one section that I guess makes them feel better about the competition. I know this is incorrect because I am in another seciton with just as many scholarship students, myself being one of them. USD gives out A LOT of scholarships so that is why it may appear that there are a lot in one particular seciton while in fact there are a lot in every section.

My scholarship was based on the entire 1L class for the stipulation and not the section, not sure if that has changed.

If anybody has any other quesitons feel free to ask.

toster19

Postby toster19 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:15 pm

RCRARollin wrote:
toster19 wrote:I met with a USD 2L today and he gave me some interesting info on scholarship renewal. All first year students are placed into 1 of 5 sections. You have all the same students in your sections and each class within each section is curved. Thus, you are competing with students within your own section for grades. Supposedly, in order to save some money on scholarship renewal, almost all scholarship recipients are placed in the same section so it is near impossible for everyone to be in the top 33%.

I'm a current USD student and your friend is incorrect about all the scholarships being in one section. That is just a rumor put forth by one section that I guess makes them feel better about the competition. I know this is incorrect because I am in another seciton with just as many scholarship students, myself being one of them. USD gives out A LOT of scholarships so that is why it may appear that there are a lot in one particular seciton while in fact there are a lot in every section.

My scholarship was based on the entire 1L class for the stipulation and not the section, not sure if that has changed.

I was hoping he was wrong. How has it been trying to find a summer internship? Are there many opportunities or is it just a scramble to take what you can get? What is the selection process like?

RCRARollin

Postby RCRARollin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:55 pm

toster19 wrote:
RCRARollin wrote:

I was hoping he was wrong. How has it been trying to find a summer internship? Are there many opportunities or is it just a scramble to take what you can get? What is the selection process like?

I got a paid summer job without much difficulty (wasn't super high paying, but much better than nothing). Everyone I know found something for the summer.

Other than those that do extremely well (i.e. top 10%), it seems like networking is the best way to find good options for the summer. Those without jobs are those who did nothing other than attend class and thought that was enough. You need to be proactive in this market and some people just don't get that.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:12 am

hey, I'm a UCH 1L looking to sublet a place from (approximately) late May through mid August... if anyone knows some place that'll be available at that time please send me a PM.

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:32 am

smittelman6 wrote:did anyone go to ASD today? i thought there was one... thoughts?

I went. Surprised that no one has commented on it yet.

I enjoyed myself, but it was pretty standard stuff (lunch with faculty, mock class/socratic method, campus tour, watch a mock trial practice, alumni panel, and a Q & A with the Dean of Fin. Aid). Funny to see the staff profusely apologize for the light rain. Otherwise, the campus was gorgeous (as expected) and it seemed like the staff and faculty really enjoy being there. I could see myself there for 3 years, easily.

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:56 pm

When us the first seat deposit due? I still don't have a decision and I went complete mid-January.

avon_barksdale

Postby avon_barksdale » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:24 pm

yo Levy still haven't gotten a decision. Work on that or imma have String pay you a visit.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:25 pm

orachelo wrote:When us the first seat deposit due? I still don't have a decision and I went complete mid-January.

I've been complete since mid-November. Probably just going to withdraw my app this weekend.

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:28 pm

swilson215 wrote:
orachelo wrote:When us the first seat deposit due? I still don't have a decision and I went complete mid-January.

I've been complete since mid-November. Probably just going to withdraw my app this weekend.

Wow even with your LSAT? How strange. I have been complete since mid-September but I am on the lower end, so I'll wait. :P

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:34 pm

its strange that they don't send out decisions as they make them. Rather they opt for batches..everyone is screaming mid april.

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:13 pm

swilson215 wrote:

That's really odd. Hell, I sent mine in the beginning of March and already have my decision. Not sure what's up with their process.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:21 pm

longhornlaw wrote:
swilson215 wrote:

That's really odd. Hell, I sent mine in the beginning of March and already have my decision. Not sure what's up with their process.

it depends...did you have a 3.5+/165+???

piilehua

Postby piilehua » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:33 pm

caligulove wrote:
swilson215 wrote:

WHY HAVEN'T YOU POSTED YET!!!

bump thisss

toster19

Postby toster19 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Any of the current law students in here have any experience with work study?

haleydee

Postby haleydee » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:51 pm

swilson215 wrote:

+1, since 11/1

ELCORCO

Postby ELCORCO » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:10 pm

I sent them an email the other day expressing my desire to attend and hope that I get a decision before having to put down a deposit at another school on April 15th... below is the response I received for those in a similar boat. Yes, with spelling mistakes...

Thank you for your interest in the University of San Diego School of Law.Due to the high volume of applicants it may take a while for a decision to be rendered. Unfortunately, we do not send out decision letters in accordance to other schools deadlines. We are aware that other institutions first deposit deadlines are approaching, the Law School Admissions Committee recommends that you secure a seat deposit.

Please note that the bulk of the decisions will be sent out by mid-April. You may use your status checker online to view any changes. The order of changes is as follows: file received, file complete, decision rendered.

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:18 pm

ELCORCO wrote:I sent them an email the other day expressing my desire to attend and hope that I get a decision before having to put down a deposit at another school on April 15th... below is the response I received for those in a similar boat. Yes, with spelling mistakes...

Thank you for your interest in the University of San Diego School of Law.Due to the high volume of applicants it may take a while for a decision to be rendered. Unfortunately, we do not send out decision letters in accordance to other schools deadlines. We are aware that other institutions first deposit deadlines are approaching, the Law School Admissions Committee recommends that you secure a seat deposit.

Please note that the bulk of the decisions will be sent out by mid-April. You may use your status checker online to view any changes. The order of changes is as follows: file received, file complete, decision rendered.

Thanks for sharing this. I wish I had more patience.

ConfidentialLaw

Postby ConfidentialLaw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:26 pm

I called today. They said exactly what the previous poster said, they hope to get decisions out by mid-April. I've been complete since 11/10.

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”