University of San Diego 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dtl
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:08 am

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby dtl » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:03 am

ID like them as well if possible

pkt63
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby pkt63 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:22 am

+1

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby swilson215 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:14 pm

gothamm wrote:took a campus tour recently and met up with a friend of a friend who is a 2L.


If someone would like me to post my impressions, they are not good :?


post. post post post! :)

caligulove
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby caligulove » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:26 pm

swilson215 wrote:
gothamm wrote:took a campus tour recently and met up with a friend of a friend who is a 2L.


If someone would like me to post my impressions, they are not good :?


post. post post post! :)


WHY HAVEN'T YOU POSTED YET!!!

User avatar
smittelman6
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:08 am

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby smittelman6 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:51 pm

did anyone go to ASD today? i thought there was one... thoughts?

User avatar
POSERmyLOVE
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:52 am

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby POSERmyLOVE » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:35 pm

SFnative wrote:Called today, and the person on the phone told me a very large chunk of decisions will be happening mid-April, she also said many of which may be getting scholarship money as well.

Hang in there people...




This made me feel ALOT better, I got into Loyola LA but I really want to stay in San Diego!

Bearlegdairy
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby Bearlegdairy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Any idea how to withdraw? They don't give you any kind of admitted students login and I don't really feel like calling.

RCRARollin
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:18 am

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby RCRARollin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:23 am

toster19 wrote:I met with a USD 2L today and he gave me some interesting info on scholarship renewal. All first year students are placed into 1 of 5 sections. You have all the same students in your sections and each class within each section is curved. Thus, you are competing with students within your own section for grades. Supposedly, in order to save some money on scholarship renewal, almost all scholarship recipients are placed in the same section so it is near impossible for everyone to be in the top 33%.


I'm a current USD student and your friend is incorrect about all the scholarships being in one section. That is just a rumor put forth by one section that I guess makes them feel better about the competition. I know this is incorrect because I am in another seciton with just as many scholarship students, myself being one of them. USD gives out A LOT of scholarships so that is why it may appear that there are a lot in one particular seciton while in fact there are a lot in every section.

My scholarship was based on the entire 1L class for the stipulation and not the section, not sure if that has changed.

If anybody has any other quesitons feel free to ask.

toster19
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby toster19 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:15 pm

RCRARollin wrote:
toster19 wrote:I met with a USD 2L today and he gave me some interesting info on scholarship renewal. All first year students are placed into 1 of 5 sections. You have all the same students in your sections and each class within each section is curved. Thus, you are competing with students within your own section for grades. Supposedly, in order to save some money on scholarship renewal, almost all scholarship recipients are placed in the same section so it is near impossible for everyone to be in the top 33%.


I'm a current USD student and your friend is incorrect about all the scholarships being in one section. That is just a rumor put forth by one section that I guess makes them feel better about the competition. I know this is incorrect because I am in another seciton with just as many scholarship students, myself being one of them. USD gives out A LOT of scholarships so that is why it may appear that there are a lot in one particular seciton while in fact there are a lot in every section.

My scholarship was based on the entire 1L class for the stipulation and not the section, not sure if that has changed.

If anybody has any other quesitons feel free to ask.


I was hoping he was wrong. How has it been trying to find a summer internship? Are there many opportunities or is it just a scramble to take what you can get? What is the selection process like?

RCRARollin
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:18 am

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby RCRARollin » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:55 pm

toster19 wrote:
RCRARollin wrote:
toster19 wrote:I met with a USD 2L today and he gave me some interesting info on scholarship renewal. All first year students are placed into 1 of 5 sections. You have all the same students in your sections and each class within each section is curved. Thus, you are competing with students within your own section for grades. Supposedly, in order to save some money on scholarship renewal, almost all scholarship recipients are placed in the same section so it is near impossible for everyone to be in the top 33%.


I'm a current USD student and your friend is incorrect about all the scholarships being in one section. That is just a rumor put forth by one section that I guess makes them feel better about the competition. I know this is incorrect because I am in another seciton with just as many scholarship students, myself being one of them. USD gives out A LOT of scholarships so that is why it may appear that there are a lot in one particular seciton while in fact there are a lot in every section.

My scholarship was based on the entire 1L class for the stipulation and not the section, not sure if that has changed.

If anybody has any other quesitons feel free to ask.


I was hoping he was wrong. How has it been trying to find a summer internship? Are there many opportunities or is it just a scramble to take what you can get? What is the selection process like?


I got a paid summer job without much difficulty (wasn't super high paying, but much better than nothing). Everyone I know found something for the summer.

Other than those that do extremely well (i.e. top 10%), it seems like networking is the best way to find good options for the summer. Those without jobs are those who did nothing other than attend class and thought that was enough. You need to be proactive in this market and some people just don't get that.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4854
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:12 am

hey, I'm a UCH 1L looking to sublet a place from (approximately) late May through mid August... if anyone knows some place that'll be available at that time please send me a PM.

User avatar
Maury Levy
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby Maury Levy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:32 am

smittelman6 wrote:did anyone go to ASD today? i thought there was one... thoughts?

I went. Surprised that no one has commented on it yet.

I enjoyed myself, but it was pretty standard stuff (lunch with faculty, mock class/socratic method, campus tour, watch a mock trial practice, alumni panel, and a Q & A with the Dean of Fin. Aid). Funny to see the staff profusely apologize for the light rain. Otherwise, the campus was gorgeous (as expected) and it seemed like the staff and faculty really enjoy being there. I could see myself there for 3 years, easily.

orachelo
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:39 am

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby orachelo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:56 pm

When us the first seat deposit due? I still don't have a decision and I went complete mid-January.

User avatar
avon_barksdale
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby avon_barksdale » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:24 pm

yo Levy still haven't gotten a decision. Work on that or imma have String pay you a visit.

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby swilson215 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:25 pm

orachelo wrote:When us the first seat deposit due? I still don't have a decision and I went complete mid-January.


I've been complete since mid-November. Probably just going to withdraw my app this weekend.

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby CmonSD » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:28 pm

swilson215 wrote:
orachelo wrote:When us the first seat deposit due? I still don't have a decision and I went complete mid-January.


I've been complete since mid-November. Probably just going to withdraw my app this weekend.


Wow even with your LSAT? How strange. I have been complete since mid-September but I am on the lower end, so I'll wait. :P

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby gothamm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:34 pm

its strange that they don't send out decisions as they make them. Rather they opt for batches..everyone is screaming mid april.

longhornlaw
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 am

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby longhornlaw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:13 pm

swilson215 wrote:
orachelo wrote:When us the first seat deposit due? I still don't have a decision and I went complete mid-January.


I've been complete since mid-November. Probably just going to withdraw my app this weekend.


That's really odd. Hell, I sent mine in the beginning of March and already have my decision. Not sure what's up with their process.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby gothamm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:21 pm

longhornlaw wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
orachelo wrote:When us the first seat deposit due? I still don't have a decision and I went complete mid-January.


I've been complete since mid-November. Probably just going to withdraw my app this weekend.


That's really odd. Hell, I sent mine in the beginning of March and already have my decision. Not sure what's up with their process.


it depends...did you have a 3.5+/165+???

piilehua
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby piilehua » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:33 pm

caligulove wrote:
swilson215 wrote:
gothamm wrote:took a campus tour recently and met up with a friend of a friend who is a 2L.


If someone would like me to post my impressions, they are not good :?


post. post post post! :)


WHY HAVEN'T YOU POSTED YET!!!


bump thisss

toster19
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby toster19 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Any of the current law students in here have any experience with work study?

haleydee
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby haleydee » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:51 pm

swilson215 wrote:
orachelo wrote:When us the first seat deposit due? I still don't have a decision and I went complete mid-January.


I've been complete since mid-November. Probably just going to withdraw my app this weekend.



+1, since 11/1

ELCORCO
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby ELCORCO » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:10 pm

I sent them an email the other day expressing my desire to attend and hope that I get a decision before having to put down a deposit at another school on April 15th... below is the response I received for those in a similar boat. Yes, with spelling mistakes...


Thank you for your interest in the University of San Diego School of Law.Due to the high volume of applicants it may take a while for a decision to be rendered. Unfortunately, we do not send out decision letters in accordance to other schools deadlines. We are aware that other institutions first deposit deadlines are approaching, the Law School Admissions Committee recommends that you secure a seat deposit.

Please note that the bulk of the decisions will be sent out by mid-April. You may use your status checker online to view any changes. The order of changes is as follows: file received, file complete, decision rendered.

orachelo
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:39 am

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby orachelo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:18 pm

ELCORCO wrote:I sent them an email the other day expressing my desire to attend and hope that I get a decision before having to put down a deposit at another school on April 15th... below is the response I received for those in a similar boat. Yes, with spelling mistakes...


Thank you for your interest in the University of San Diego School of Law.Due to the high volume of applicants it may take a while for a decision to be rendered. Unfortunately, we do not send out decision letters in accordance to other schools deadlines. We are aware that other institutions first deposit deadlines are approaching, the Law School Admissions Committee recommends that you secure a seat deposit.

Please note that the bulk of the decisions will be sent out by mid-April. You may use your status checker online to view any changes. The order of changes is as follows: file received, file complete, decision rendered.


Thanks for sharing this. I wish I had more patience.

ConfidentialLaw
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby ConfidentialLaw » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:26 pm

I called today. They said exactly what the previous poster said, they hope to get decisions out by mid-April. I've been complete since 11/10.

--ImageRemoved--




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”