University of San Diego 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
swilson215

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby swilson215 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:24 pm

I've been sitting at Complete since 11/29, and not a peep yet. Seat deposits are due in 2 weeks! Yikes.

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:56 pm

CmonSD wrote:
LockBox wrote:In Review since 12/2

Decision Rendered 3/16

Good luck to all waiting

Good luck!!!

Thanks! I think i'm going to need it. Just when I thought waiting for a DR status was tough, now I have to wait for the mail. Blah. :|

bnaidu

Postby bnaidu » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:13 am

DR 3/16
This may have been answered, but do they email rejections or is everything via snail mail? I'm not expecting an admit due to low LSAT but I didn't receive an email today so just curious. My emotions can't take much more of this haha.

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:07 pm

question for people who are seriously considering USD as their first choice (as am i): what do we think about the 60% employment rate?

(i may just be having heart palpitations due to the fact that i am about to take out 90k in loans and haven't even had more than 2k in my bank account since, well, ever. hoping someone can reassure me here...)

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:15 pm

smittelman6 wrote:question for people who are seriously considering USD as their first choice (as am i): what do we think about the 60% employment rate?

(i may just be having heart palpitations due to the fact that i am about to take out 90k in loans and haven't even had more than 2k in my bank account since, well, ever. hoping someone can reassure me here...)

USD is also my top choice. Personally I hear all the talk about low prospects, T14 or don't go etc...but if I feel like if this is a field you're interested in going into, are willing to work hard then it shouldn't be a deal-breaker to have to take out that many loans. Most good things in life are financed. It's good to be debt-averse but if you don't take a risk (which is what leaving a stable career to go to law school for me is) then how can you expect your life to improve?

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:21 pm

bnaidu wrote:DR 3/16
This may have been answered, but do they email rejections or is everything via snail mail? I'm not expecting an admit due to low LSAT but I didn't receive an email today so just curious. My emotions can't take much more of this haha.

They mail acceptances and rejections and email the waitlist (your status checker will change to waitlist, not decision rendered). Good luck!!

Nike

Postby Nike » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:54 pm

Thank you Lockbox. I needed that. The loans scare me too . . . but . . .

In reality, its a gamble for all of us. A gamble if we get in, a gamble to leave or jeopardize a stable career we may already have, a gamble if we get scholly, a gamble if we rank in the top 10-15% once we get there, a gamble nothing else happens in our lives in the 3 or 4 years it takes to get through to affect our grades, a gamble if we pass the bar (on the first try hopefully), a gamble if we can pay back the loans, and a gamble if we get the job we want.

But Lockbox is right. If this is what you REALLY want, and you've done all the research on the pros and cons and have a viable plan to pay off the debt, and still REALLY want it, go all in. What do you want to look back on when you're in your 80's? That you tried and struggled a bit, or that you never tried . . . I don't know . . . but I think I'd rather go for it, than wish I went for it.

Yeah?

sully

Postby sully » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:38 pm

In reality, its a gamble for all of us. A gamble if we get in, a gamble to leave or jeopardize a stable career we may already have, a gamble if we get scholly, a gamble if we rank in the top 10-15% once we get there, a gamble nothing else happens in our lives in the 3 or 4 years it takes to get through to affect our grades, a gamble if we pass the bar (on the first try hopefully), a gamble if we can pay back the loans, and a gamble if we get the job we want.

But Lockbox is right. If this is what you REALLY want, and you've done all the research on the pros and cons and have a viable plan to pay off the debt, and still REALLY want it, go all in. What do you want to look back on when you're in your 80's? That you tried and struggled a bit, or that you never tried . . . I don't know . . . but I think I'd rather go for it, than wish I went for it.

Yeah?

Agreed.

I'm getting tired of the constant evaluation of limitless variables. It has only made me less decisive and more pessimistic.

It's St. Patty's day. I'm gonna get a green beer, forget about law school for 5 minutes, and rest assured that if law school doesn't work out, and I become a hobo, well, at least I'll know my rights when the cops tell me to move my cardboard box.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:00 pm

sully wrote:

Yeah?

Agreed.

I'm getting tired of the constant evaluation of limitless variables. It has only made me less decisive and more pessimistic.

It's St. Patty's day. I'm gonna get a green beer, forget about law school for 5 minutes, and rest assured that if law school doesn't work out, and I become a hobo, well, at least I'll know my rights when the cops tell me to move my cardboard box.

LOL +1. But in all seriousness, where did you get the 60% figure from Wilson? Did USNWR show 60% employment right after graduation? That's definitely a bit scary though.

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:27 pm

thanks guys... seriously those comments make me feel a lot better, even if it's just a few people, that i'm not making a huge mistake-- because it IS what i want to do, and sometimes even if you're nervous you really do just have to go for it. i'm excited to start school in a place where there are so many supportive people around me!! :)

risktaker wrote:LOL +1. But in all seriousness, where did you get the 60% figure from Wilson? Did USNWR show 60% employment right after graduation? That's definitely a bit scary though.

i got the stats from us news... for anyone who can't see certain parts online:

Academics

Full- and part-time faculty 94
Student-faculty ratio 13.5 - Medium
Total faculty 128

Student Body

Enrollment (full-time) 831
J.D. candidates graduating in 2009-2010 318

Tuition and fees

Full-time: $41,414 per year
Part-time: $29,904 per year
Room and board $12,080

Careers

Graduates known to be employed at graduation 61.0% - Low
Median private sector starting salary $97,000
Median public service starting salary $58,500

Total volumes and volume equivalents 544,019

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:11 pm

I just went complete for the PT program, anyhow know how long decisions are taking for PT? is it same as full time? also has anyone been admitted PT on these boards?

Bearlegdairy

Postby Bearlegdairy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:19 pm

I accidentally submitted the FAFSA with the undergrad school code. I was contacted by the school and sent them a corrected FAFSA. Today I received my financial aid offer... for the undergrad program.

Scott Tenorman

Postby Scott Tenorman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:22 pm

Who knows what any of this means, but FWIW 84.7% were employed 9 months out. Still scary though. Just have to know what you want to do with your JD and go after it right from the start. At least that's my plan.

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:02 am

Scott Tenorman wrote:Who knows what any of this means, but FWIW 84.7% were employed 9 months out. Still scary though. Just have to know what you want to do with your JD and go after it right from the start. At least that's my plan.

that doesn't make me feel good at all lol... almost a year after graduation 15% are still completely unemployed? i'd really hate to be that dude...

toster19

Postby toster19 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:04 am

Scott Tenorman wrote:Who knows what any of this means, but FWIW 84.7% were employed 9 months out. Still scary though. Just have to know what you want to do with your JD and go after it right from the start. At least that's my plan.

Scott Tenorman are you planning on getting your paycheck in pubes?

Scott Tenorman

Postby Scott Tenorman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:13 am

toster19 wrote:

Scott Tenorman are you planning on getting your paycheck in pubes?

I'm more focused on the chili.

Scott Tenorman

Postby Scott Tenorman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:16 am

smittelman6 wrote:

that doesn't make me feel good at all lol... almost a year after graduation 15% are still completely unemployed? i'd really hate to be that dude...

No one said this would be easy. I've always found fear to be a great motivator.

lulumore

Postby lulumore » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:23 am

LockBox wrote:I feel like if this is a field you're interested in going into, are willing to work hard then it shouldn't be a deal-breaker to have to take out that many loans. Most good things in life are financed. It's good to be debt-averse but if you don't take a risk (which is what leaving a stable career to go to law school for me is) then how can you expect your life to improve?

I like your point!!!!
BTW, USD decision hasn't come yet. Most likely I am waitlisted. Argh!

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:17 am

lulumore wrote:
LockBox wrote:I feel like if this is a field you're interested in going into, are willing to work hard then it shouldn't be a deal-breaker to have to take out that many loans. Most good things in life are financed. It's good to be debt-averse but if you don't take a risk (which is what leaving a stable career to go to law school for me is) then how can you expect your life to improve?

I like your point!!!!
BTW, USD decision hasn't come yet. Most likely I am waitlisted. Argh!

Thanks! I'm biting my nails waiting for the mail. Have you gone Decision Rendered? I thought waitlisters were notified via status checker. In any event, good luck.

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:29 pm

DR 3/18, sent it in 3/7. Damn, thats a fast turn around
Last edited by longhornlaw on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtl

Postby dtl » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Complete 1/10
DR 3/18

These schools like Loyola and USD who only mail out decisions are sadists.

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:13 pm

dtl wrote:Complete 1/10
DR 3/18

+1 :twisted:

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:22 pm

LockBox wrote:
DR 3/18

i hope you both hear soon!! lockbox you should be getting something early next week, no? if you live on the west coast, maybe even saturday!

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:51 pm

smittelman6 wrote:
LockBox wrote:
DR 3/18

i hope you both hear soon!! lockbox you should be getting something early next week, no? if you live on the west coast, maybe even saturday!

I'm only about two hours away. I would have taken the day off of work to drive down if I could of picked it up in person. I really hope i'm not disappointed. I go through phases where i'm sure i'm in...then the "i'm sure i'm dinged' phase takes over.

I need a drink.

Bearlegdairy

Postby Bearlegdairy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:53 pm

0 doll
Last edited by Bearlegdairy on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”