University of San Diego 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
smittelman6

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby smittelman6 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:35 pm

@klick not sure if you saw before but 3.6/164-- i just got upped to 30k/yr (top 33% stip)

i'm hoping that the increase attracts higher ranked students, in turn upping their usnews rank, which would be nice. i know this may not happen, but since i'm planning to attend, them being in the top50 would make me really really happy.

also FWIW, i've been e-mailing with some current students, and i know a lot of us have been wondering about the top 33/50 stips. the girl i spoke to said that USD gives out a LOT of these type schollys, and it's not at all something that you should count on being able to keep for all three years. she did say that even though she lost hers after the first year, she is still completely happy with her decision, and that for someone interested in practicing in san diego, the school is still the best choice (outside a t14 obvs).

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:47 pm

I would need to keep the scholly for at least 2 years. 25 per is what I need to be able to afford going to SD. I'm going to check the mail today hopefully the letter is there I need to make a decision soon.

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:30 pm

smittelman6 wrote:@klick not sure if you saw before but 3.6/164-- i just got upped to 30k/yr (top 33% stip)

i'm hoping that the increase attracts higher ranked students, in turn upping their usnews rank, which would be nice. i know this may not happen, but since i'm planning to attend, them being in the top50 would make me really really happy.

also FWIW, i've been e-mailing with some current students, and i know a lot of us have been wondering about the top 33/50 stips. the girl i spoke to said that USD gives out a LOT of these type schollys, and it's not at all something that you should count on being able to keep for all three years. she did say that even though she lost hers after the first year, she is still completely happy with her decision, and that for someone interested in practicing in san diego, the school is still the best choice (outside a t14 obvs).

3.3/171, just got scholly offer in the mail today (UR 2/8, DF 2/11). 30k/year. Definitely better than loyola's 52k over three years with the same top 1/3 stipulation. san diego is way more fun than LA anyway.

Maury Levy

Postby Maury Levy » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:42 pm

thegreatk wrote:
dswimmer wrote:
thegreatk wrote:Same, but mine went up from 18,000 to 21,000. Random question....do your offers apply for all three years, or does it say specifically for 2011-2012? Mine appears to apply only year one....

My email says that it is renewable each year "according to the terms of your original offer letter," which for me was remaining in the top 33 percent of my class.

Niether my original scholarship letter nor the recent email has a grade stipulation or renewal stipulation. Strange, right?

Same with me. Says nothing about renewing past the 1st year. Just that the amount is spread evenly over each semester. I've got an updated offer letter coming in the mail. I'd love to get more clarification in writing on that.

I did come across this memo, however, pertaining to the renewal of scholarships.
http://www.sandiego.edu/law/documents/a ... date10.pdf

dai

Postby dai » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:46 pm

I just got my acceptance letter today. I got 23k/year, but I see no grade stipulation. Is it supposed to be obvious if there's a stipulation? Seems like the money I'm getting is based on need rather than merit, so perhaps that's why there's no stipulation. It says I can renew it each year as long as I continue to establish financial need and file the paperwork.

caligulove

Postby caligulove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:37 pm

dai wrote:I just got my acceptance letter today. I got 23k/year, but I see no grade stipulation. Is it supposed to be obvious if there's a stipulation? Seems like the money I'm getting is based on need rather than merit, so perhaps that's why there's no stipulation. It says I can renew it each year as long as I continue to establish financial need and file the paperwork.

I got that same grant. There are no stipulations, save for establishing need.

dai

Postby dai » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:53 pm

caligulove wrote:
dai wrote:I just got my acceptance letter today. I got 23k/year, but I see no grade stipulation. Is it supposed to be obvious if there's a stipulation? Seems like the money I'm getting is based on need rather than merit, so perhaps that's why there's no stipulation. It says I can renew it each year as long as I continue to establish financial need and file the paperwork.

Thanks. That's great. Less pressure than that top 1/3 stipulation I've been seeing around the forums.

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:37 am

caligulove wrote:

how long ago did you submit your institutional paperwork and your fafsa? i haven't heard anything about financial aid or grants yet!

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:42 am

smittelman6 wrote:
caligulove wrote:

how long ago did you submit your institutional paperwork and your fafsa? i haven't heard anything about financial aid or grants yet!

I haven't spoken to USD about this, but other schools won't grant need aid to someone who has merit aid. I wouldn't expect more aid if they are already giving you 30k.

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:03 am

sabenser wrote:
smittelman6 wrote:
caligulove wrote:

I haven't spoken to USD about this, but other schools won't grant need aid to someone who has merit aid. I wouldn't expect more aid if they are already giving you 30k.

doesn't that feel like the short end of the stick? because i worked hard and got good grades/scores, i now have a 66% chance of losing all the money after one year, whereas someone who didn't receive any merit aid (not to say they're not intelligent and i'm sure this is coming off as much more pretentious than i intend it to) is pretty much guaranteed that for three years? if i end up in the top 35th percent of the class, i am rewarded by ending up with more debt than the need-based grant awardee?

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:16 am

smittelman6 wrote:doesn't that feel like the short end of the stick? because i worked hard and got good grades/scores, i now have a 66% chance of losing all the money after one year, whereas someone who didn't receive any merit aid (not to say they're not intelligent and i'm sure this is coming off as much more pretentious than i intend it to) is pretty much guaranteed that for three years? if i end up in the top 35th percent of the class, i am rewarded by ending up with more debt than the need-based grant awardee?

If you lose your merit aid, then I'm sure you become eligible for need aid at that point.

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:35 am

helloperson wrote:
smittelman6 wrote:doesn't that feel like the short end of the stick? because i worked hard and got good grades/scores, i now have a 66% chance of losing all the money after one year, whereas someone who didn't receive any merit aid (not to say they're not intelligent and i'm sure this is coming off as much more pretentious than i intend it to) is pretty much guaranteed that for three years? if i end up in the top 35th percent of the class, i am rewarded by ending up with more debt than the need-based grant awardee?

If you lose your merit aid, then I'm sure you become eligible for need aid at that point.

is this the credited truth? because i was under the impression that most times, grants were awarded in the first year and not usually after that (not re-evaluated each year)-- you don't re-file a fafsa every year, correct? how would they know anyone's need upon losing said scholly?

c0anna10

Postby c0anna10 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:07 pm

smittelman6 wrote:
helloperson wrote:

is this the credited truth? because i was under the impression that most times, grants were awarded in the first year and not usually after that (not re-evaluated each year)-- you don't re-file a fafsa every year, correct? how would they know anyone's need upon losing said scholly?

I believe you file a fasfa every year and the financial aid office reevaluates every year to make your package. I went to USD undergrad and they are very generous with financial aid. If you have any concerns I'm sure you can reach the financial aid office and they would be happy to help you!

caligulove

Postby caligulove » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:17 pm

c0anna10 wrote:
smittelman6 wrote:
helloperson wrote:

I believe you file a fasfa every year and the financial aid office reevaluates every year to make your package. I went to USD undergrad and they are very generous with financial aid. If you have any concerns I'm sure you can reach the financial aid office and they would be happy to help you!

I am sure that you file paperwork every year at the school regardless of whether your 1L or higher. This gives people the opportunity to establish that they need a grant. I do agree with you that it does not seem particularly fair that there is no stipulation for need grants, but I think you should realize that need based grants are usually lower than scholarships. The maximum USD will give you is 23k. That said your assumption that my grades are not good enough to warrant such a grant are misplaced and yes, a little pretentious. I have received more money from schools with no grade stipulation that was not based on need. USD simply made a calculation based on my profile and decided to give me a need based grant rather than a merit one (perhaps so as not to give me a stipulation?).

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:34 pm

caligulove wrote:I am sure that you file paperwork every year at the school regardless of whether your 1L or higher. This gives people the opportunity to establish that they need a grant. I do agree with you that it does not seem particularly fair that there is no stipulation for need grants, but I think you should realize that need based grants are usually lower than scholarships. The maximum USD will give you is 23k. That said your assumption that my grades are not good enough to warrant such a grant are misplaced and yes, a little pretentious. I have received more money from schools with no grade stipulation that was not based on need. USD simply made a calculation based on my profile and decided to give me a need based grant rather than a merit one (perhaps so as not to give me a stipulation?).

1. 23k is a LOT of money, and only 7k less than many of the merit scholarships (and even more than others)
2. i never said or implied anything about your grades-- i merely established that IMO i earned my scholly (and it upsets me that i could lose it for missing the stip by 2%... as many others ITT have similarly expressed)
3. for most people, USD determines merit-based aid before receiving any financial information from the student, so scholarships would in that case affect your financial aid/need based grants, and not the other way around

ddawg819

Postby ddawg819 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:31 pm

my status has been complete since 12/10. is anyone else in the same boat?

ashle484

Postby ashle484 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:07 pm

yea 11/29...this is torture, but at this point i have already accepted that good or bad i prob wont hear from them until april

haleydee

Postby haleydee » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:21 pm

ddawg819 wrote:my status has been complete since 12/10. is anyone else in the same boat?

complete since 11/10

LockBox

Postby LockBox » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:32 pm

Complete since 12/2

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:39 pm

Has anyone received money lately? I'm not referring to the people who got additional money, but rather the people that did not get money with their initial offer.

I was accepted early Feb, still no money. Just wondering.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:12 pm

This may be a really stupid question, but if I'm going to try and negotiate scholarship $$, should I email admissions or financial aid?

helloperson

Postby helloperson » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:37 pm

nelaw2010 wrote:Has anyone received money lately? I'm not referring to the people who got additional money, but rather the people that did not get money with their initial offer.

I was accepted early Feb, still no money. Just wondering.

UR 2/8. Decision 2/11. Got my scholarship offer in the mail last week. 30k/yr

bb8900

Postby bb8900 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:59 pm

I got accepted months ago, but still no nothing when it comes to scholarships.

Is filling out that financial aid paper they sent really important for them to give you a scholarship?

pkt63

Postby pkt63 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:46 pm

I think not. I haven't filled out their paperwork yet, and got the scholarship info anyway.

dswimmer

Postby dswimmer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:39 pm

aidez-moi wrote:This may be a really stupid question, but if I'm going to try and negotiate scholarship $$, should I email admissions or financial aid?

I was told to email admissions. I can send you more info on what they told me to do for consideration if you would like. Message me if you are interested. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”