University of San Diego 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
smittelman6

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby smittelman6 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Classof2014 wrote:My status checker went straight from Complete to Decision Rendered. Supposedly they mailed out a decision letter yesterday.

Complete 1/26/2011
Decision Letter Sent 01/31/2011

good luck!!!! i went complete the same day as you but my status still hasn't changed... keeping my fingers crossed! also i'm in NY so even once it's sent i'll still have to wait a very very long time :(

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Classof2014 wrote:My status checker went straight from Complete to Decision Rendered. Supposedly they mailed out a decision letter yesterday.

Complete 1/26/2011
Decision Letter Sent 01/31/2011

WOW thats a quick turnaround. I've been sitting complete since the 18th and not a word since. Hopefully that means good news for you. Good luck!

greg737

Postby greg737 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:10 am

I applied Jan. 15 and just got my decision today and am in! Just two weeks though; I didn't realize they decided so quick.

However, there was no mention of a scholarship offer, which was kind of disappointing considering they decided so quick. I got a 166 LSAT so I figured I'd be in the running for something.

Has anyone out there who has been accepted (congrats btw) gotten a scholarship offer after the acceptance letter? Or even students there now, do you remember when you got the offer you did?

Thanks.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:34 am

greg737 wrote:I applied Jan. 15 and just got my decision today and am in! Just two weeks though; I didn't realize they decided so quick.

However, there was no mention of a scholarship offer, which was kind of disappointing considering they decided so quick. I got a 166 LSAT so I figured I'd be in the running for something.

Has anyone out there who has been accepted (congrats btw) gotten a scholarship offer after the acceptance letter? Or even students there now, do you remember when you got the offer you did?

Thanks.

I have a 166, got accepted in November and didn't hear about scholarships until january, by mail ($78K/ top 1/3 stip.). HTH.

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:10 pm

Complete 1/27, Decision rendered 2/3.

First decision of the cycle. Hope it's a good one....

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:46 pm

thegreatk wrote:Complete 1/27, Decision rendered 2/3.

Wow thats fast. I've been sitting complete wince 1/18 :?

Classof2014

Postby Classof2014 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:03 pm

Admitted via Decision Letter!

No word on $$ though.

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:05 pm

thegreatk wrote:Complete 1/27, Decision rendered 2/3.

LUCKY!! i'm on the top 75% end numbers-wise, so the fact that i've been sitting complete for over a week is making me really nervous. so many people on here had those 2 day turnarounds and i was really hoping for one too!

rubbersoul89

Postby rubbersoul89 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:18 pm

Decision Rendered 2/3, Complete since 2/1. Gotta wait for the letter now!

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:03 pm

rubbersoul89 wrote:Decision Rendered 2/3, Complete since 2/1. Gotta wait for the letter now!

Got DR today also!! It's gonna be an excruciating couple days now...

berkeleyman

Postby berkeleyman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:07 pm

Ive been sitting at complete since 12/7.....geeeeeeze this is a long wait

lawmantentwo

Postby lawmantentwo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:14 pm

whats better these days...loyola or USD or pepperdine?

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:25 pm

lawmantentwo wrote:whats better these days...loyola or USD or pepperdine?

Pepperdine. No qualifications to my answer whatsoever..... :twisted:

lawmantentwo

Postby lawmantentwo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:30 pm

pepperdine has the reputation of being a really overinflated school, in terms of its US news ranking. It kind of feels like a for-profit kinda school.

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:38 pm

Finally got a scholarship offer in the mail today (2 months after my acceptance)... $16k/year with a top 50% stip.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Well, at the risk of hijacking this thread, I don't think its overinflated. Pepperdine's ranking ascension has been driven by its increasing incoming student numbers and selectivity. Its peer scores have been stable over the period in which its over all ranking has increased substantially. In addition, its employment numbers have been stable or at least commensurate with the decreases generally seen by the rest of the region, and doesn't inflate those numbers using obviously bogus placement stats See Arizona.
San Diego has been on a rankings roller coaster almost exclusively because of USNews' inclusion of part time stats in their calculus of incoming student numbers. Again, San Diego's peer scores have been stable over the same period.
That said, San Diego was miserable in bar passage this last time around while Pepperdine was 4th in the state. However this only accounts for something like .02 of the USNews calculus so shouldn't impact the numbers into the future.
Loyola had been traditionally decent, suffered from the same issues with part time student stats as San Diego, but is generally unable to keep up with Pepperdine's increases in incoming student stats because of its overall class size. Makes those medians harder to move.
San Diego's strength is being in San Diego, and therefore having better placement in that market than most everyone outside the t14, with the possible exception of the other UCs, USC, and increasingly: Pepperdine.

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:29 am

at the risk of turning this into a pepperdine thread/debate (which i'm sure nobody, at least not the actual 0Ls, want), I'd just like to quote a 1L from last year who was taking questions on an actual pepperdine thread...

"The most unforgivable thing about living on campus is the rules and application thereof. Pepperdine is a dry campus, fine. There are 1,200 under grads living on campus I understand them not having booze on campus, however most law students living on campus are 23+. Again, I understand the rules, as it is a Christian school and benefactors require the whole campus to be dry. What I find egregious is that if you are caught to be in violation of this rule, the dean suite will report you to the bar as being morally unfit to serve as you are unable to follow university rules, a threat contained in an email received from an RA 3 weeks ago. The school will not tell the bar you brought beer on campus, or you had a member of the opposite sex after hours, but only you violated school rules, akin to an academic violation. I find this patently unfair as reporting you to the bar as morally unfit up to 3 years after an infraction sounds more like retaliation & vengeance rather than an objective opinion as to someone moral character."

This is absolutely the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. I have seen several Pepperdine students post messages similar to this, and it blows my mind. I am 22 years old and if i want to have a glass of wine in my apartment I'd personally like to be able to do so without anyone thinking i committed a freaking crime!

but if you don't mind not being able to have a bottle of wine in your fridge and not being allowed to have houseguests (whether or not they are your friend, boyfriend, or gay best friend visiting from out of state), have a great three years at pepperdine. Not sure i would want to pay 200 grand to go to a school with rules like that. actually, i am sure. i definitively would not. (so, fingers remain crossed for a USD acceptance!)

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:12 am

Um, so don't live on the private school's gated campus like the vast majority of students? Yes, if personal autonomy in on campus housing is of great importance to you, then you should refrain from any school with such restrictions......if you plan on living on campus. Seems........like a trivial reason to adamantly prefer one school over another, but to each their own.... :roll:
In reviewing USD's housing materials, it seems there are certain alcohol prohibitions as well as hours for visitation of the opposite sex included, hope you checked that out....--LinkRemoved--
I leave you with the omitted portion of the thread you quoted "All that aside, if you don't live on campus Pepperdine is a fantastic law school with a fantastic future, with great people. I encourage you to come to campus and take a visit."

/hijacking of the USD thread

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:19 am

1ferret! wrote:Um, so don't live on the private school's gated campus like the vast majority of students? Yes, if personal autonomy in on campus housing is of great importance to you, then you should refrain from any school with such restrictions......if you plan on living on campus. Seems........like a trivial reason to adamantly prefer one school over another, but to each their own.... :roll:
In reviewing USD's housing materials, it seems there are certain alcohol prohibitions as well as hours for visitation of the opposite sex included, hope you checked that out....--LinkRemoved--
I leave you with the omitted portion of the thread you quoted "All that aside, if you don't live on campus Pepperdine is a fantastic law school with a fantastic future, with great people. I encourage you to come to campus and take a visit."

/hijacking of the USD thread

Pepperdine is a hell of a lot more conservative than USD.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:38 am

Not sure i would want to pay 200 grand to go to a school with rules like that.

i'm not sure where the myth that pepperdine is the most expensive school in the country comes from. I've seen it time and time again.

According to USD's website, tuition is $41,200.
Accoring to Pepperdine's website, tuition is $41,150.

People will say, "oh, but the cost of living in Malibu is outrageous!"

And that's why almost every student lives outside of Malibu.

I really see it as on par (cost wise) with most all other schools out there.

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:50 am

Foosters Galore wrote:
Not sure i would want to pay 200 grand to go to a school with rules like that.

i'm not sure where the myth that pepperdine is the most expensive school in the country comes from. I've seen it time and time again.

According to USD's website, tuition is $41,200.
Accoring to Pepperdine's website, tuition is $41,150.

People will say, "oh, but the cost of living in Malibu is outrageous!"

And that's why almost every student lives outside of Malibu.

I really see it as on par (cost wise) with most all other schools out there.

I didn't mean to say that Pepperdine was more or less expensive than any other private school-- I just meant that any private school, in general, is going to cost you upwards of 200 grand (obv this varies for different people, living situations, scholly, etc)... sorry if I made it seem like cost was what I was getting at.

Also, I am not saying that everyone HAS to live on campus, but as a future law student, principles and standards are very important to me, and I personally feel that those policies are horrifically wrong, ancient, and just plain dumb (for lack of a better word). Going to a school that aligns, at least somewhat, with my values and modern outlook on life is important to me. Again, if it's not important to you, by all means, enjoy three years there.

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:38 pm

In via snail mail!

rubbersoul89

Postby rubbersoul89 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:11 pm

thegreatk wrote:In via snail mail!

me too!

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:11 pm

thegreatk wrote:In via snail mail!

where do you live, and when did you go DR?? i went DR last week but i live in new york... wait... killing... me...

toster19

Postby toster19 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:13 pm

I was accepted in November, 3.7, 164, and still haven't heard anything about scholarships. How many other people are in the same position?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”