University of San Diego 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rs2004

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Postby rs2004 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:06 pm

Birdlaw wrote:
caligulove wrote:
nicole88 wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:26k per year. they must be effing kidding me.

when/how did you hear about scholarship info? I got in like 3 weeks ago, but haven't heard anything on $$

I'm pretty sure the info comes with your admittance packet... it did for me anyway.

I'm pretty sure that they require you fill out FAFSA before they give you any kind of scholarship offer.

i think USD gives out merit-based scholarships based on your numbers/achievements with your acceptances and FAFSA is need-based.

jesss

Postby jesss » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:28 pm

Birdlaw wrote:
caligulove wrote:
I'm pretty sure the info comes with your admittance packet... it did for me anyway.

I'm pretty sure that they require you fill out FAFSA before they give you any kind of scholarship offer.

I'm pretty sure I'm confused about fin aid info...

caligulove

Postby caligulove » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:56 pm

Don't be confused jesss. I got my offer with my acceptance - it was need based, not merit based. Perhaps for the merit based ones they require you fill out the fafsa.

jesss

Postby jesss » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:11 pm

caligulove wrote:Don't be confused jesss. I got my offer with my acceptance - it was need based, not merit based. Perhaps for the merit based ones they require you fill out the fafsa.

hmm okay, thanks. I was looking at the posts from last year and it looked like while a few people received offers with their acceptances, the majority received them a couple of weeks later. I was hoping to get some money but i think i'll just have to wait and see.

UA7789

Postby UA7789 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:15 pm

Still nothing in the mail...

Mike088

Postby Mike088 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:10 pm

got my packet today, i'm in :)

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:07 am

nicole88 wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:26k per year. they must be effing kidding me.

when/how did you hear about scholarship info? I got in like 3 weeks ago, but haven't heard anything on $$

woops, sorry for the late reply....forgive me haha. i got the scholly info in the admittance letter.

and to answer the other questions. Not to be an ass, but yes I was expecting much more money, as I received merit-based full rides from other schools (higher ranked). I did not mean to sound callous, as it was sort of a shock to me that they wouldn't offer me more.

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:34 am

Yay! USD!

I'm a 1L and I scoured these boards last year so I figured I would offer myself as a resource to all of you 0L's waiting eagerly in suspense.

1. USD is usually pretty late with their decisions. I applied in Oct. (I think) and didn't hear until Feb. I feel like they send out most of their acceptances Jan/Feb/Early March. Just sit tight.

2. I'm really glad I went to USD. I've always been a big fan though, so take that with a grain of salt. I feel like I've met awesome people, I really liked my Prof's from last semester, I've had plenty of opportunity to get involved, and yea... everything is going really well.

3. This isn't really USD specific, but read this article if you're having doubt about law school. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=is%20law%20school%20a%20losing%20game&st=cse

4. I'm hoping people will just post questions...

5. I think my biggest complaint would be the pesky undergrads with their false sense of entitlement. Not only do they drive really (really) nice cars (I parked next to a bentley in the STUDENT lot), but the sorority life + taking over our library (they kick them out during finals) + general loudness get tiring.

Ask away!

arobb527

Postby arobb527 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:09 am

Got accepted about two weeks ago...got my decision less than 3 weeks after applying, with $16,000 a year scholarship.

Also in at Pepperdine & G. Mason so far, waiting on 12 others...

165 LSAT, 3.57 GPA...think I got my decision so quickly because I also have legacy at USD

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:28 am

BruinsFan wrote:Yay! USD!

I'm a 1L and I scoured these boards last year so I figured I would offer myself as a resource to all of you 0L's waiting eagerly in suspense.

1. USD is usually pretty late with their decisions. I applied in Oct. (I think) and didn't hear until Feb. I feel like they send out most of their acceptances Jan/Feb/Early March. Just sit tight.

2. I'm really glad I went to USD. I've always been a big fan though, so take that with a grain of salt. I feel like I've met awesome people, I really liked my Prof's from last semester, I've had plenty of opportunity to get involved, and yea... everything is going really well.

3. This isn't really USD specific, but read this article if you're having doubt about law school. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/business/09law.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=is%20law%20school%20a%20losing%20game&st=cse

5. I think my biggest complaint would be the pesky undergrads with their false sense of entitlement. Not only do they drive really (really) nice cars (I parked next to a bentley in the STUDENT lot), but the sorority life + taking over our library (they kick them out during finals) + general loudness get tiring.

Ask away!

If you could go back and have a do-over, would you still attend USD?

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Just received scholarship offer for same $26k per year (FYI--in the mail, two months after admitted). Pretty sweet, since it actually might make the whole SD experience affordable. However, it does come with a top 1/3 stipulation, which is a little unnerving. I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I would hate ending up with a full-tuition bill more.

fogcue2

Postby fogcue2 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:27 pm

Looks like San Diego probably won't match my Indiana offer based on everyone on here. My LSAT is a little bit higher and my GPA a little lower than arobb. I just wish they would send it to me so I could start trying to negotiate up, though I think even if they equal the 120K from Indiana with no stips, I don't know if I would take SD over it (also have CO in the picture but waiting on the scholy info) and a number of other schools that I'm still waiting on. The only thing I know so far is that I'll be riding the GTown waitlist to the end.

UA7789

Postby UA7789 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:20 pm

Just got my acceptance packet today and $26 thousand a year scholarship

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:56 pm

UA7789 wrote:Just got my acceptance packet today and $26 thousand a year scholarship

Congrats. That's awesome. Hope a packet comes for me today.

Sweet. It did come with $26000/year.
Last edited by sabenser on Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piilehua

Postby piilehua » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:15 pm

got mine too 38k/year

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:27 pm

I am SO confused with San Diego's scholarship offers... I got an acceptance letter early in December (before they started awarding scholarships), and have heard absolutely nothing since. Does that just mean I shouldn't expect any $?

thelibear

Postby thelibear » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:27 am

conroyc wrote:I am SO confused with San Diego's scholarship offers... I got an acceptance letter early in December (before they started awarding scholarships), and have heard absolutely nothing since. Does that just mean I shouldn't expect any $?

+1.

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:43 am

thelibear wrote:
conroyc wrote:I am SO confused with San Diego's scholarship offers... I got an acceptance letter early in December (before they started awarding scholarships), and have heard absolutely nothing since. Does that just mean I shouldn't expect any $?

+1.

+2

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:23 pm

aidez-moi wrote:
thelibear wrote:

+1.

+2

I'm in the same boat and I have no intention to attend without atleast a 50% scholly, especailly considering the offers I've already received...

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:39 pm

aidez-moi wrote:

Ask away!

If you could go back and have a do-over, would you still attend USD?

Definitely!

smittelman6

Postby smittelman6 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:29 am

Ask away!

Couple questions...

1. Did you get a scholly (if you don't mind saying)? If so, how much, and how much do you think somebody should be getting in order to make it worth it to go...

2. Do you know if they stack the classes as far as that goes, i.e. everyone has been saying they have a top 30% stip, so if everyone with a scholarship is in the same class, 70% of them are going to lose all the money.

3. Where do most of the 1Ls that you know live? On campus? PB/OB? Downtown? And do people generally live with other students, on their own, or other people? Was there a website or letter that went out for people to find others looking for roommates?

4. I know this is early for you, but what is your general sense of the job prospects for 3Ls? If someone was looking to stay in SD after graduation, do you think they generally have good prospects, or are there a ton of UCLA/USC kids coming in and taking jobs in the area?

Thank you so much for offering to answer questions!!

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:45 pm

Is there an "in review" stage or something at SD? Or does it jump from "complete" to "Decision made"?

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:51 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:Is there an "in review" stage or something at SD? Or does it jump from "complete" to "Decision made"?

I'm wondering the same thing :?

aidez-moi

Postby aidez-moi » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:07 pm

jstubbs wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:Is there an "in review" stage or something at SD? Or does it jump from "complete" to "Decision made"?

I'm wondering the same thing :?

No there is no in review. It just jumps from complete to decision rendered.

Classof2014

Postby Classof2014 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:47 pm

My status checker went straight from Complete to Decision Rendered. Supposedly they mailed out a decision letter yesterday.

Complete 1/26/2011
Decision Letter Sent 01/31/2011

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”