University of San Diego 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thelibear

New

Re: University of San Diego 2011

Post by thelibear » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:21 pm

hockeypro7 wrote:Does USD Law call its students who have been accepted?
I didn't get a call when I was accepted, I got a letter in the mail! :) It was a big packet.

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:51 am

they do everything by mail. I did get a congratulations call but it was a full week after the packet arrived.

FooJ

New

Post by FooJ » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:35 pm

Anyone going to ASD?

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:17 pm

did anyone go to ASD? thoughts???

brangara

New

Post by brangara » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:40 pm

FooJ wrote:Anyone going to ASD?

Going to the ASD on the 18th :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:18 pm

I am heading to the ASD on the 18th. Its a casual thing right?

lmrcl041

New

Post by lmrcl041 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:42 pm

dtl wrote:I am heading to the ASD on the 18th. Its a casual thing right?
FWIW I went to the ASD in March, and I wouldn't say that it was totally casual. I would dress somewhere in the middle because I thought the people in jeans looked underdressed and some people were obviously overdressed in suits.

The lunch was also really nice, banquet style with professors at each table so I would dress at least a little nice. :)

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:23 pm

lmrcl041 wrote:
dtl wrote:I am heading to the ASD on the 18th. Its a casual thing right?
FWIW I went to the ASD in March, and I wouldn't say that it was totally casual. I would dress somewhere in the middle because I thought the people in jeans looked underdressed and some people were obviously overdressed in suits.

The lunch was also really nice, banquet style with professors at each table so I would dress at least a little nice. :)
Could you tell us a little more about the day? What did you think about campus, the profs you met, students, etc?

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Shirt and slacks it is.

What was your general opinion of the facilities/faculty?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pkt63

Bronze

Post by pkt63 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:22 pm

I just went today. The email said business casual, and the Career Services Dir even mentioned that we looked like a nicely dressed group. Not that you are trying to impress them anymore. I think one or two wore jeans with a nice shirt, but....

Re: USD rank/competitive degree issues, I felt like they really pushed today how marketable and travel-able (?) the degree is. They talked about grads working in DC, NY, LA, SF, that they can help you get internships with the SEC, and one recent alum said she turned down a higher rankd school for $$ at USD and doesn't regret it for a minute. They also said that other students/grads can't really come into the San Diego market and steal jobs here, because they are actually in the community all year round and can get a head start, and get those jobs before students looking here for the summer, or grads looking for a job. Granted, they are trying to sell us on USD, but they really seemed convinced of it themselves. Like at one point, an alum said, well a firm around here doesn't want all Harvard grads because they don't know San Diego like USD students do, and the firms value that.

Re: the scholly and that form...I think the conclusion was you do not have to fill it out if you don't want any loans or work study, but that they encourage you to fill itout anyway. Because maybe you underbudgeted and in December want to fly home, or over a summer you may want to do a RA job for a professor and the money for that comes from their office, so you have to fill the form out.

I didn't get a chance to talk to as many students at USD as I did at other ASDs. A large part my fault because I overslept and missed the breakfast mix and mingle, but I didn't get as much of a sense of the student orgs and extracurriculars, or the journals and clinics. Everyone seemed pleasant and willing to answer questions, but I don't think I got a lot of in depth info.

The facilities seem nice and everything was beautiful, although I only toured the main buildings of the law school, not like gyms or housing or anything.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:54 pm

pkt63 wrote:I just went today. The email said business casual, and the Career Services Dir even mentioned that we looked like a nicely dressed group. Not that you are trying to impress them anymore. I think one or two wore jeans with a nice shirt, but....

Re: USD rank/competitive degree issues, I felt like they really pushed today how marketable and travel-able (?) the degree is. They talked about grads working in DC, NY, LA, SF, that they can help you get internships with the SEC, and one recent alum said she turned down a higher rankd school for $$ at USD and doesn't regret it for a minute. They also said that other students/grads can't really come into the San Diego market and steal jobs here, because they are actually in the community all year round and can get a head start, and get those jobs before students looking here for the summer, or grads looking for a job. Granted, they are trying to sell us on USD, but they really seemed convinced of it themselves. Like at one point, an alum said, well a firm around here doesn't want all Harvard grads because they don't know San Diego like USD students do, and the firms value that.

Re: the scholly and that form...I think the conclusion was you do not have to fill it out if you don't want any loans or work study, but that they encourage you to fill itout anyway. Because maybe you underbudgeted and in December want to fly home, or over a summer you may want to do a RA job for a professor and the money for that comes from their office, so you have to fill the form out.

I didn't get a chance to talk to as many students at USD as I did at other ASDs. A large part my fault because I overslept and missed the breakfast mix and mingle, but I didn't get as much of a sense of the student orgs and extracurriculars, or the journals and clinics. Everyone seemed pleasant and willing to answer questions, but I don't think I got a lot of in depth info.

The facilities seem nice and everything was beautiful, although I only toured the main buildings of the law school, not like gyms or housing or anything.
surely you take these comments with a grain of salt.

pkt63

Bronze

Post by pkt63 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Well yeah. If only it were true I'd be in a lot different position. But, I did just think it was weird how vehement they were about it.

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:09 pm

he already said that he understands they are coming from the school and they're not going to be saying negative things about themselves. i agree that it's a good sign that they seemed sure of themselves-- i've gotten this same feeling from the admins and 2/3Ls that i've spoken to, especially in relation to what you said about the SD market.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bb8900

New

Post by bb8900 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:35 am

gothamm wrote:
bb8900 wrote:I got in and am seriously contemplating attending.

The only thing that makes me nervous is that I live in Northern California and assuming that I will want to move back home in 3 years, I doubt finding a job up North will be easy for me. But I love the weather and campus.

Thoughts?
probably not a good idea. where else have you been accepted?
I got into most of the northern california schools. santa clara, mcgeorge, usf, and usd from so-cal.

What does everyone thing about someone going to USD but wanting to practice back up in northern california?

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:56 am

bb8900 wrote:
gothamm wrote:

The only thing that makes me nervous is that I live in Northern California and assuming that I will want to move back home in 3 years, I doubt finding a job up North will be easy for me. But I love the weather and campus.

Thoughts?
I got into most of the northern california schools. santa clara, mcgeorge, usf, and usd from so-cal.

What does everyone thing about someone going to USD but wanting to practice back up in northern california?
It is not impossible, but common sense would be to go to one of the Norcal regionals. If you do want to go to USD I would make sure you spend your summers interning in Norcal if that is where you want to work.

brangara

New

Post by brangara » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:03 pm

bb8900 wrote:
gothamm wrote:

Thoughts?

I know people who went both ways (to norcal during summers while going to usc, and to socal during summers while going to hastings) and both found jobs just fine. Honestly, I believe that the majority of people on this site psych themselves out with numbers and locations, and that if you give a great interview and have a great resume, you can get the job.

POSERmyLOVE

New

Post by POSERmyLOVE » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:47 pm

4/12/10 Decision Rendered!!!! yikessss!!!!!

Does it say automatically if your accepted the fees you owe once your current status changes?

help!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brangara

New

Post by brangara » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:55 pm

POSERmyLOVE wrote:4/12/10 Decision Rendered!!!! yikessss!!!!!

Does it say automatically if your accepted the fees you owe once your current status changes?

help!

I got DR and my packet came in the mail, no change to the fees section at all (even to this day). Good luck!!

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Where do we find our USD ID#?

POSERmyLOVE

New

Post by POSERmyLOVE » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:35 pm

brangara wrote:

I got DR and my packet came in the mail, no change to the fees section at all (even to this day). Good luck!!
Thanks! thats a relief :) i know i sound really impatient but how long did it take for you to recieve the packet in the mail ?

smittelman6

Bronze

Post by smittelman6 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:43 pm

cool of law wrote:Where do we find our USD ID#?
they e-mail your USD ID# and instructions on setting up your account on the friday after they receive your deposit. i.e. if you get an e-mail saying they received your deposit on tuesday 4/12, you'll get an e-mail with USD ID instructions on friday 4/15. (this is what they told me in an e-mail from admissions, i got the received email today so i expect my id on friday.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SFnative

Bronze

Post by SFnative » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:10 pm

anyone here know who I should make out my LOCI to??

brangara

New

Post by brangara » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:09 pm

POSERmyLOVE wrote:
brangara wrote:

Thanks! thats a relief :) i know i sound really impatient but how long did it take for you to recieve the packet in the mail ?

Hmm... well if I remember correctly, I went DR last Monday, and received the packet last Thursday (but I live in So Cal, only a few hours away from SD). No worries, I was really impatient and I was even expecting a small letter for a rejection, so I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised when I got the big envelope. Good luck to you! :)

FooJ

New

Post by FooJ » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:11 am

SFnative wrote:anyone here know who I should make out my LOCI to??
I wrote an LOCI for another school saying "Dear Admissions Officer". I'm pretty sure you can say "Dear Admissions Office: as well?

SFnative

Bronze

Post by SFnative » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:09 am

FooJ wrote:
SFnative wrote:anyone here know who I should make out my LOCI to??
I wrote an LOCI for another school saying "Dear Admissions Officer". I'm pretty sure you can say "Dear Admissions Office: as well?
I felt silly, but i called and asked, lady said to due "Dear Admissions Committee"....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”