Texas 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JJDancer

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby JJDancer » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:04 pm

Joining the waiting game... good luck everyone.

sylvernight

Postby sylvernight » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:57 am

Hello again all,

I am finally home, and I have good news. I was admitted in mid-November, but didn't get my scholarship results until now because I've been out of town. I know we've all been concerned with GPA/LSAT floors, but with my 3.66/163, I was still offered $9K/year. This may be because I've been out of school for a while, or because of my military service, but it shows that UT is not playing entirely by the numbers. If you have good enough softs, you still have a chance.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:04 am

sylvernight wrote:Hello again all,

I am finally home, and I have good news. I was admitted in mid-November, but didn't get my scholarship results until now because I've been out of town. I know we've all been concerned with GPA/LSAT floors, but with my 3.66/163, I was still offered $9K/year. This may be because I've been out of school for a while, or because of my military service, but it shows that UT is not playing entirely by the numbers. If you have good enough softs, you still have a chance.

That's pretty cool. It's essentially the same offer I got as a non-resident. Congrats!

brose

Postby brose » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:06 am

Are you URM?

sylvernight

Postby sylvernight » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:53 pm

brose wrote:

Are you URM?

I'm not sure how URM is determined by UT, but I checked both Hispanic and Caucasian boxes in my application. I'm actually mixed with pretty much everything, but those were the only boxes that applied to me.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:17 pm

JJDancer wrote:Joining the waiting game... good luck everyone.

+1

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:52 pm

3.51/165; Texas Resident; 4 years WE as a Paralegal..... Bit of a reach, but keeping my fingers crossed. I want it so bad!

Wishing UT hopefuls luck (myself included).

A12345

Postby A12345 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:22 pm

sylvernight wrote:
brose wrote:

Are you URM?

I'm not sure how URM is determined by UT, but I checked both Hispanic and Caucasian boxes in my application. I'm actually mixed with pretty much everything, but those were the only boxes that applied to me.

not to sound mean but that is most likely how you were able to get in with your numbers. that one little check in the hispanic box

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:00 am

A12345 wrote:
sylvernight wrote:
brose wrote:

Are you URM?

not to sound mean but that is most likely how you were able to get in with your numbers. that one little check in the hispanic box

Texas has a plethora of well-qualified in-state Hispanic applicants to choose from. They don't have to sink very low on numbers to maintain the Hispanic diversity of their student body.

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:59 am

A review of lawschoolnumbers.com will reveal that UT does not play by the numbers to the extent that other schools do. They have students with very low numbers who aren't necesarily URMs being granted admission, and students with very high numbers (172, 3.95 but who are still in school, etc), being rejected. I'd imagine that your military service may have a lot to do with the scholarship. Congratuations!

A12345

Postby A12345 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:48 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Texas has a plethora of well-qualified in-state Hispanic applicants to choose from. They don't have to sink very low on numbers to maintain the Hispanic diversity of their student body.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mexbox44/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jkh88/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kardashian/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/brutustx/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/dsr247/jd

All of those are well below their admission standards and are all in state hispanic URMs

akili

Postby akili » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:35 pm

I don't think there's a need to belittle his acceptance. It's awesome, thank you for your service, and congratulations!

sylvernight

Postby sylvernight » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:45 pm

akili wrote:I don't think there's a need to belittle his acceptance. It's awesome, thank you for your service, and congratulations!

Thank you as well.

To everyone else--I wasn't trying to start a debate; I just wanted to show that good softs can possibly equal a scholarship. If my ancestry had something to do with it, then I don't really know what to say, except that I didn't emphasize or even mention it my personal statement. I DID write about the experiences I've had since college, and how they made they even more sure that I wanted to be a military lawyer. I hope my essay had at least something to do with the offer.

brose

Postby brose » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:43 pm

sylvernight wrote:
akili wrote:I don't think there's a need to belittle his acceptance. It's awesome, thank you for your service, and congratulations!

Thank you as well.

To everyone else--I wasn't trying to start a debate; I just wanted to show that good softs can possibly equal a scholarship. If my ancestry had something to do with it, then I don't really know what to say, except that I didn't emphasize or even mention it my personal statement. I DID write about the experiences I've had since college, and how they made they even more sure that I wanted to be a military lawyer. I hope my essay had at least something to do with the offer.

I hope you didn't take me asking if you are a URM as me belittling your acceptance - was simply wondering. I am all for anyone who served to get in wherever they wanna go. Congrats.

goingeast

Postby goingeast » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Tag

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:31 pm

A12345 wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:Texas has a plethora of well-qualified in-state Hispanic applicants to choose from. They don't have to sink very low on numbers to maintain the Hispanic diversity of their student body.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/mexbox44/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jkh88/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/kardashian/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/brutustx/jd
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/dsr247/jd

All of those are well below their admission standards and are all in state hispanic URMs

Jeez man, what's your problem? Are you on the admissions committee? Doubt it.

Using five examples of Hispanic students admitted to UT to base your blanket statement regarding general admissions procedure is pretty ridiculous. Please stop pretending you have enough information to support your conclusion. You don't, so stop putting this person down so you can perpetuate your (probably racist) opinion.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:37 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:39 pm

seancooksey07 wrote:
QFoverreaction on both.

I hope we can return this to friendly updates and mutual encouragement/support

Yeah, I apologize to the poster and agree. It just agitated me that, instead of being happy for this person, poster decided to belittle his acceptance.

Return to happiness and support!

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:49 pm

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:53 pm

seancooksey07 wrote:I kind of wish UT had more than one ASW, and specifically that it had one sooner than the end of March and then required a deposit 3 weeks later.

On a positive note though, the day I get back from Austin, I'll be turning right around to leave for my last spring break trip to an all-inclusive hotel in Cancun :mrgreen:

Do they have like a preview day or something? The ASW is in conflict with Penn's ASW. Can you confirm the dates? I don't have them here.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:02 pm

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:10 pm

seancooksey07 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
seancooksey07 wrote:I kind of wish UT had more than one ASW, and specifically that it had one sooner than the end of March and then required a deposit 3 weeks later.

On a positive note though, the day I get back from Austin, I'll be turning right around to leave for my last spring break trip to an all-inclusive hotel in Cancun :mrgreen:

Do they have like a preview day or something? The ASW is in conflict with Penn's ASW. Can you confirm the dates? I don't have them here.

March 24-25 per the official admissions letter

Thanks, I did remember right. Thur-Fri? that's tough anyway even without the conflict. I hope they give travel stipend. Well back to waiting for the Freshlaw website going up.

A12345

Postby A12345 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:10 pm

sorry if I pushed anyones buttons. That was not my intentions. Congratulations on your acceptance and for serving our country!

giddybiscuit

Postby giddybiscuit » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:16 pm

Howdy all,

(sorry for being lame, can't resist)

Applied to UT 12/14, complete/ready for review as of 12/22

Waiting for a bite.

Good luck to all!

neonx

Postby neonx » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:46 pm

I really hope I hear from UT soon. I've been under consideration for months! (well, 2.)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”