Texas 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby innernetp » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:51 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Tennesse scares me. Also my LSAT is below Vandy's new median. Also I hear Austin is nice.

And my numbers are not t14 - only at medians for Cornell lols.


LOL what?? Tennessee is fine and Nashville is a really progressive city. Plus, huge portion of the Vandy student body isnt from TN.


+1. Tennessee definitely has a flavor to it but to call it scary is a bit much... offensive, even. Even if you aren't into Tennessee, Nashville, and Vandy have their own distinct identities.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:52 pm

innernetp wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Tennesse scares me. Also my LSAT is below Vandy's new median. Also I hear Austin is nice.

And my numbers are not t14 - only at medians for Cornell lols.


LOL what?? Tennessee is fine and Nashville is a really progressive city. Plus, huge portion of the Vandy student body isnt from TN.


+1. Tennessee definitely has a flavor to it but to call it scary is a bit much... offensive, even. Even if you aren't into Tennessee, Nashville, and Vandy have their own distinct identities.

TBF, the poster who made the comment is an Asian female. In that case, I can understand wanting to be somewhere with a bit more diversity than Nashville.

aquyenl
Posts: 154
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:57 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby aquyenl » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:30 pm

i've already submitted my app, but i plan to submit a why texas statement to the adcomm....any ideas where to send it in?

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby mr_toad » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Achilles,

how do you know no scholly? Was under the impression they send you a letter a week or so later... just what I've heard. Anyone else want to chime in?

TCo
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby TCo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:15 pm

I was under the same impression. Got my acceptance call 11/12, letter 11/15, and now I'm waiting to hear about $$

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby mr_toad » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:27 pm

I know some people have said that a scholarship was mentioned in the phone call, but mine was left in a message that I heard in a loud room. In my excitement, I deleted it before I could hear it again. Fail. Wait. Wonder.

User avatar
achilles
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby achilles » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:43 pm

mr_toad wrote:Achilles,

how do you know no scholly? Was under the impression they send you a letter a week or so later... just what I've heard. Anyone else want to chime in?


She told me that my GPA was too low to qualify for one (I'm a splitter), and that I could participate in the scholarship matching program once I get other offers. I think the cutoff was 3.6, but not sure. I was too excited to take it all in.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:41 pm

achilles wrote:
mr_toad wrote:Achilles,

how do you know no scholly? Was under the impression they send you a letter a week or so later... just what I've heard. Anyone else want to chime in?


She told me that my GPA was too low to qualify for one (I'm a splitter), and that I could participate in the scholarship matching program once I get other offers. I think the cutoff was 3.6, but not sure. I was too excited to take it all in.


did she say what the LSAT cut off was?

User avatar
grrrstick
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby grrrstick » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:43 pm

innernetp wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Tennesse scares me. Also my LSAT is below Vandy's new median. Also I hear Austin is nice.

And my numbers are not t14 - only at medians for Cornell lols.


LOL what?? Tennessee is fine and Nashville is a really progressive city. Plus, huge portion of the Vandy student body isnt from TN.


+1. Tennessee definitely has a flavor to it but to call it scary is a bit much... offensive, even. Even if you aren't into Tennessee, Nashville, and Vandy have their own distinct identities.


Not to mention the awful Vandy undergrad population. Douchier than Duke, if you can believe it.

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby innernetp » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:50 pm

grrrstick wrote:
innernetp wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Tennesse scares me. Also my LSAT is below Vandy's new median. Also I hear Austin is nice.

And my numbers are not t14 - only at medians for Cornell lols.


LOL what?? Tennessee is fine and Nashville is a really progressive city. Plus, huge portion of the Vandy student body isnt from TN.


+1. Tennessee definitely has a flavor to it but to call it scary is a bit much... offensive, even. Even if you aren't into Tennessee, Nashville, and Vandy have their own distinct identities.


Not to mention the awful Vandy undergrad population. Douchier than Duke, if you can believe it.


I know what you're talking about, but I don't think Vandy is all that bad. Meanwhile, I live very close to Duke and am having trouble holding my tongue. :-p
Last edited by innernetp on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby Burgstaller04 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:55 pm

vandy undergrads as douches. exhibit A: Jay Cutler

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:12 pm

grrrstick wrote:
Not to mention the awful Vandy undergrad population. Douchier than Duke, if you can believe it.


No way you have ever stepped foot on Vandy's campus if you call the undergrad pop. as a whole "douchey".

User avatar
achilles
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby achilles » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:28 pm

Nonprofit-prophet, she did not, but I'd imagine it's below median since the GPA is

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby Burgstaller04 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:13 am

Got my status checker today

User avatar
forward
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby forward » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:12 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Got my status checker today

zeke18
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby zeke18 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:19 pm

What makes Austin so much more diverse and "less-scary" than TN?

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:26 pm

zeke18 wrote:What makes Austin so much more diverse and "less-scary" than TN?


I'm guessing you haven't been to Austin.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:28 pm

Man, now I'm nervous every time a new email shows up in my inbox because it might be a hold email from Texas. :|

zeke18
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby zeke18 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:35 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
zeke18 wrote:What makes Austin so much more diverse and "less-scary" than TN?


I'm guessing you haven't been to Austin.



I've been there many times, in fact. I was raised in TN so I have an obvious bias here, but it doesn't make sense to me that someone would be scared of TN but not TX. I would be more understanding if we were discussing Michigan, Illinois, or another large northern state school, but Texas? Please explain.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby JazzOne » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:36 pm

zeke18 wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
zeke18 wrote:What makes Austin so much more diverse and "less-scary" than TN?


I'm guessing you haven't been to Austin.



I've been there many times, in fact. I was raised in TN so I have an obvious bias here, but it doesn't make sense to me that someone would be scared of TN but not TX. I would be more understanding if we were discussing Michigan, Illinois, or another large northern state school, but Texas? Please explain.

Austin is the most liberal and diverse city in Texas. It is the anti-Texas.
Last edited by JazzOne on Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zeke18
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby zeke18 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:40 pm

JazzOne wrote:
zeke18 wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
zeke18 wrote:What makes Austin so much more diverse and "less-scary" than TN?


I'm guessing you haven't been to Austin.



I've been there many times, in fact. I was raised in TN so I have an obvious bias here, but it doesn't make sense to me that someone would be scared of TN but not TX. I would be more understanding if we were discussing Michigan, Illinois, or another large northern state school, but Texas? Please explain.

Austin is the most liberal and diverse city in Texas. It is the anti-Texas.



fair enough, but couldn't the same thing be said about Nashville? The city votes Democratic in national elections and is represented by a Democratic Congressman.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby JazzOne » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:41 pm

zeke18 wrote:fair enough, but couldn't the same thing be said about Nashville? The city votes Democratic in national elections and is represented by a Democratic Congressman.

I've only been to Nashville once, but it seemed much less diverse to me than does Austin.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:44 pm

It's not so much that the city votes Democrat. It's that the city is extremely progressive. it's like a mini San Francisco or NYC, complete with tons of hipsters and track bikes. Very different from Nashville.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:48 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Man, now I'm nervous every time a new email shows up in my inbox because it might be a hold email from Texas. :|


+1

I'm also checking the status checker constantly hoping to not get dinged this early. :cry:

yellowmellow
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby yellowmellow » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:49 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Man, now I'm nervous every time a new email shows up in my inbox because it might be a hold email from Texas. :|



Same. I was not impressed when an email from Texas Wesleyan found its way into my gmail law school filter. My heart stopped for a second




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”