Texas 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
iwanta170

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby iwanta170 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:52 pm

If I applied ED and then registered for a retake later, will they hold my file until January? The Status Checker says I'm complete and being considered for ED

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:56 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Just noticed lawschoolpredictor gave me a weaker index number for UT than Cornell. Doesn't UT have lower medians for both LSAT/GPA? Weird.

Does it account for OOS? I think that affects UT more than any other law school.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:58 pm

JazzOne wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Just noticed lawschoolpredictor gave me a weaker index number for UT than Cornell. Doesn't UT have lower medians for both LSAT/GPA? Weird.

Does it account for OOS? I think that affects UT more than any other law school.

Maybe. Is OOS that big of a disadvantage? I have numbers above both medians so I thought UT was a strong target.

Or maybe UT has higher 75th percentile for both LSAT/GPA than Cornell?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:04 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Maybe. Is OOS that big of a disadvantage? I have numbers above both medians so I thought UT was a strong target.

I've heard conflicting reports about this. It was always my assumption that our OOS medians would be higher since the school is limited to 35% OOS matriculants. Because there are fewer spots for OOS, I figured the school could be more selective. However, someone recently suggested that Dean Ingram stated the exact reverse; that is, the OOS medians are ostensibly lower than IS because UT gets a large majority of its applications from IS applicants. Thus, they have a far larger pool of IS applicants, and perhaps they can grab a lot of high numbers from that large pool.

I still feel like it's easier to get in if you're from Texas, but obviously, I don't have any inside information.

Edit: Now that I think about it, UT might be able to keep IS applicants with high numbers by giving them scholarships, which are tremendous when combined with UT's low COA with IS tuition.

aquyenl

Postby aquyenl » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:06 pm

JazzOne wrote:
txlaw wrote:Just got an email that I'm being held for regular decision. Is there anything I can do at this point to help my chances? UT is the only school I want to attend. Should I write a "why UT" letter or would that just annoy the admissions comittee? Also, If I get a legal job before they make a decision should I update them about it? Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm totally stressing out about this.

Yes to all questions. Next.

adcomms would accept additional documents? i may start working on a Why Texas statement then. if i do write one, where would i send it to?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:07 pm

JazzOne wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I've heard conflicting reports about this. It was always my assumption that our OOS medians would be higher since the school is limited to 35% OOS matriculants. Because there are fewer spots for OOS, I figured the school could be more selective. However, someone recently suggested that Dean Ingram stated the exact reverse; that is, the OOS medians are ostensibly lower than IS because UT gets a large majority of its applications from IS applicants. Thus, they have a far larger pool of IS applicants, and perhaps they can grab a lot of high numbers from that large pool.

I still feel like it's easier to get in if you're from Texas, but obviously, I don't have any inside information.

Edit: Now that I think about it, UT might be able to keep IS applicants with high numbers by giving them scholarships, which are tremendous when combined with UT's low COA with IS tuition.

Did Dean Ingram actually state that? Or is that just rumor and speculation?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:10 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Did Dean Ingram actually state that? Or is that just rumor and speculation?

I haven't read it myself, but the interview is here on TLS somewhere. I'm too lazy to look it up because I already sneaked in before the numbers started climbing. It's getting pretty damn tough to get into UT these days.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:12 pm

JazzOne wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Did Dean Ingram actually state that? Or is that just rumor and speculation?

I haven't read it myself, but the interview is here on TLS somewhere. I'm too lazy to look it up because I already sneaked in before the numbers started climbing. It's getting pretty damn tough to get into UT these days.

Sigh...More signs pointing to a retake and waiting a cycle...

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:13 pm

iwanta170 wrote:If I applied ED and then registered for a retake later, will they hold my file until January? The Status Checker says I'm complete and being considered for ED

Anyone know?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:14 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

What? I though you had T14 numbers? Why are you so bent on UT? Go to Vandy!

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:15 pm

iwanta170 wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:If I applied ED and then registered for a retake later, will they hold my file until January? The Status Checker says I'm complete and being considered for ED

Anyone know?

I think they will hold you over for RD if you register for a retake.

Unless you're clearly admit/reject. If you're borderline, they'll probably hold off for the December score.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:16 pm

JazzOne wrote:

Is that based on anecdotal evidence? Compared to last year, the LSN graph definitely looks a bit different at this point in the cycle. I'm just curious if they announced that they are making a big push to raise medians (or however you came to that conclusion).

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:16 pm

JazzOne wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

What? I though you had T14 numbers? Why are you so bent on UT? Go to Vandy!

Tennesse scares me. Also my LSAT is below Vandy's new median. Also I hear Austin is nice.

And my numbers are not t14 - only at medians for Cornell lols.

forward

Postby forward » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:22 pm

iwanta170 wrote:

Anyone know?

For RD pool, if you are complete, they don't hold - even at your request. Not sure how this plays with ED pool.

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:25 pm

forward21 wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:

Anyone know?

For RD pool, if you are complete, they don't hold - even at your request. Not sure how this plays with ED pool.

Oh really..in that case I guess I may get a decision soon

AdamAndSteve

Postby AdamAndSteve » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:26 pm

Is it too early in the admissions season to send a LOCI? I was held.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:28 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Is that based on anecdotal evidence? Compared to last year, the LSN graph definitely looks a bit different at this point in the cycle. I'm just curious if they announced that they are making a big push to raise medians (or however you came to that conclusion).

I went to ASW a couple years ago, and Dean Sager openly admitted that his plans for the school were partially motivated by a desire to move up the rankings.

At that time, UT had just jumped up to #15, so there was some excitement regarding the rankings and speculation about whether UT could climb into the T14. Plus, UT threw around a lot of scholarship money that year, and they've been hiring faculty members from higher-ranked schools. I also know of a professor who failed to tenure, and he/she left UT, so I think the administration is serious about improving UT from year to year. In addition, the class size has been slowly shrinking. There were 385 in my class, and the following class was slightly smaller. The rumor is that they want to get that down to 350 to improve the student to faculty ratio. The entire writing curriculum has been revamped.

My impression is that UT is on the rise. The only real drawback is that the facilities are a bit old. I personally don't mind that because the in-state tuition is so reasonable, but the law school and library are too old and in desperate need of a renovation. To be fair, the library renovation is underway, but I won't be around to reap the benefit of it, so I'm a little disgruntled that I've had to endure the construction.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:32 pm

JazzOne wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

I went to ASW a couple years ago, and Dean Sager openly admitted that his plans for the school were partially motivated by a desire to move up the rankings.

At that time, UT had just jumped up to #15, so there was some excitement regarding the rankings and speculation about whether UT could climb into the T14. Plus, UT threw around a lot of scholarship money that year, and they've been hiring faculty members from higher-ranked schools. I also know of a professor who failed to tenure, and he/she left UT, so I think the administration is serious about improving UT from year to year. In addition, the class size has been slowly shrinking. There were 385 in my class, and the following class was slightly smaller. The rumor is that they want to get that down to 350 to improve the student to faculty ratio. The entire writing curriculum has been revamped.

My impression is that UT is on the rise. The only real drawback is that the facilities are a bit old. I personally don't mind that because the in-state tuition is so reasonable, but the law school and library are too old and in desperate need of a renovation. To be fair, the library renovation is underway, but I won't be around to reap the benefit of it, so I'm a little disgruntled that I've had to endure the construction.

Thanks for the info!

I just took a tour this weekend and I was surprised at how out of date the facilities looked (compared to other schools I visited). However, in-state tuition (as an out of stater) would certainly take my mind off the 1970s wood paneling!

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:18 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Thanks for the info!

I just took a tour this weekend and I was surprised at how out of date the facilities looked (compared to other schools I visited). However, in-state tuition (as an out of stater) would certainly take my mind off the 1970s wood paneling!

Did you see the new part of the library? The renovation is actually pretty impressive, but like I mentioned above, I'm bitter.

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:24 pm

The rest of the campus is beautiful though (except for things like the main library, endearingly constructed in the shape of Texas). It is really the law school facilities that are quite dated.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:29 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:The rest of the campus is beautiful though (except for things like the main library, endearingly constructed in the shape of Texas). It is really the law school facilities that are quite dated.

Meh, there are some cool things on campus, but I wouldn't say it is really beautiful. SMU is far more picturesque. I hate how the major roads run right through campus. Constant traffic is not really pretty either.

Edit: I'm not dogging the school. I love UT. Just calling it like I see it.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:30 pm

JazzOne wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Thanks for the info!

Did you see the new part of the library? The renovation is actually pretty impressive, but like I mentioned above, I'm bitter.

Unfortunately, my tour guide only showed me the first floor of the library. However, the admissions office gave me a recent copy of UT Law Magazine that had mock ups of what the library will look like once it is completed. Very nice indeed.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:32 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Tennesse scares me. Also my LSAT is below Vandy's new median. Also I hear Austin is nice.

And my numbers are not t14 - only at medians for Cornell lols.

LOL what?? Tennessee is fine and Nashville is a really progressive city. Plus, huge portion of the Vandy student body isnt from TN.

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:42 pm

JazzOne wrote:
The Real Jack McCoy wrote:The rest of the campus is beautiful though (except for things like the main library, endearingly constructed in the shape of Texas). It is really the law school facilities that are quite dated.

Meh, there are some cool things on campus, but I wouldn't say it is really beautiful. SMU is far more picturesque. I hate how the major roads run right through campus. Constant traffic is not really pretty either.

Edit: I'm not dogging the school. I love UT. Just calling it like I see it.

"Rest of" campus is definitely an overstatement. Some areas are great, others are hideous. I probably like the general style more than most, but I'll concede there are large swaths of campus that are less than ideal.

(Only drove by SMU)

achilles

Postby achilles » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:45 pm

Got the call today :) so excited!! i was definitely not expecting it this soon. no scholly though, will have to try the matching program

Submitted 10/30, in state, PM for stats

also, i visited a few weeks ago and agree that the facilities could be prettier, but i think that the people at the school and austin make up for that

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”