Texas 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
wiseguy33
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:53 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby wiseguy33 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:35 pm

NancyDrew23 wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:I applied Oct 29 for non-binding Early Decision and have gotten a status checker but no decision. Is anyone else who applied around that time still waiting?

3.84 GPA/165 LSAT

I'm retaking but I didn't tell them to hold my file or anything since I'd rather they make a decision now so I don't have to wait till January


I applied the same day and have also gotten the status checker but no decision. Still waiting!!


Applied around that time as well. Status checker (ED), but no decision. OOS and Splitter though.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:50 pm

iwanta170 wrote:I applied Oct 29 for non-binding Early Decision and have gotten a status checker but no decision. Is anyone else who applied around that time still waiting?

3.84 GPA/165 LSAT

I'm retaking but I didn't tell them to hold my file or anything since I'd rather they make a decision now so I don't have to wait till January


Sure, there are still plenty of ED applicants who haven't gotten a decision yet. I submitted ED 11/1, 168/4.0 out of state, and I haven't heard a peep since getting my status checker. Some people could be waiting until December before they hear back on their ED app.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:02 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:I applied Oct 29 for non-binding Early Decision and have gotten a status checker but no decision. Is anyone else who applied around that time still waiting?

3.84 GPA/165 LSAT

I'm retaking but I didn't tell them to hold my file or anything since I'd rather they make a decision now so I don't have to wait till January


Sure, there are still plenty of ED applicants who haven't gotten a decision yet. I submitted ED 11/1, 168/4.0 out of state, and I haven't heard a peep since getting my status checker. Some people could be waiting until December before they hear back on their ED app.


Texas has binding ED? I thought it was just EA

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby JazzOne » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:12 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:I applied Oct 29 for non-binding Early Decision and have gotten a status checker but no decision. Is anyone else who applied around that time still waiting?

3.84 GPA/165 LSAT

I'm retaking but I didn't tell them to hold my file or anything since I'd rather they make a decision now so I don't have to wait till January


Sure, there are still plenty of ED applicants who haven't gotten a decision yet. I submitted ED 11/1, 168/4.0 out of state, and I haven't heard a peep since getting my status checker. Some people could be waiting until December before they hear back on their ED app.


Texas has binding ED? I thought it was just EA

It's not binding, but they still call it ED for some reason. UT isn't up on the TLS lingo apparently.

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:12 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:I applied Oct 29 for non-binding Early Decision and have gotten a status checker but no decision. Is anyone else who applied around that time still waiting?

3.84 GPA/165 LSAT

I'm retaking but I didn't tell them to hold my file or anything since I'd rather they make a decision now so I don't have to wait till January


Sure, there are still plenty of ED applicants who haven't gotten a decision yet. I submitted ED 11/1, 168/4.0 out of state, and I haven't heard a peep since getting my status checker. Some people could be waiting until December before they hear back on their ED app.


Texas has binding ED? I thought it was just EA


Well technically it functions like EA, but is labeled a "non-binding" ED. There is no binding ED.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:34 am

I forgot to mention that I had a tour today. Everyone in the admissions office was super nice. They all knew my name before I got there (not just one person, but like 4 people). I guess it wasn't too difficult to look up the name of the admitted student on the tour, but it was a very nice touch.

User avatar
ads222
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby ads222 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:37 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:What's considered "lots of dough?". It hasnt been a week since my package arrived, so i haven't received any scholarship info. But I also doubt I'll get any, since dean ingram didn't mention it in the phone call. Just curious as to what they have given in the past to people with my numbers.



Dean Ingram called me 10/29 and left a message without mentioning money -- I'm 3.79/167 and so definitely expected none. A week-ish later I got a letter with a $76,500 offer (I think it broke down into non-resident tuition exemption plus $9500 each year). A really pleasant surprise.

Obviously IDK what your exact numbers are or how the cycle has shaken out over the past 2/3 weeks, but I don't know why you wouldn't get money :)

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:39 am

ads222 wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:What's considered "lots of dough?". It hasnt been a week since my package arrived, so i haven't received any scholarship info. But I also doubt I'll get any, since dean ingram didn't mention it in the phone call. Just curious as to what they have given in the past to people with my numbers.



Dean Ingram called me 10/29 and left a message without mentioning money -- I'm 3.79/167 and so definitely expected none. A week-ish later I got a letter with a $76,500 offer (I think it broke down into non-resident tuition exemption plus $9500 each year). A really pleasant surprise.

Obviously IDK what your exact numbers are or how the cycle has shaken out over the past 2/3 weeks, but I don't know why you wouldn't get money :)


URM?

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:13 am

ads222 wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:What's considered "lots of dough?". It hasnt been a week since my package arrived, so i haven't received any scholarship info. But I also doubt I'll get any, since dean ingram didn't mention it in the phone call. Just curious as to what they have given in the past to people with my numbers.



Dean Ingram called me 10/29 and left a message without mentioning money -- I'm 3.79/167 and so definitely expected none. A week-ish later I got a letter with a $76,500 offer (I think it broke down into non-resident tuition exemption plus $9500 each year). A really pleasant surprise.

Obviously IDK what your exact numbers are or how the cycle has shaken out over the past 2/3 weeks, but I don't know why you wouldn't get money :)



...wow... that is an insane amount of money. I would gladly attend if I were to receive anywhere close to that. My LSAT is the same and my GPA is a little higher.

User avatar
cinefile 17
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby cinefile 17 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:42 am

Rejected a couple days ago. See my profile for #s. I had already withdrawn due to my UCLA ED acceptance so that kind of softened the blow. Still dampened my mood though.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:20 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:Rejected a couple days ago. See my profile for #s. I had already withdrawn due to my UCLA ED acceptance so that kind of softened the blow. Still dampened my mood though.


It really does seem like Texas has a soft floor around 3.4-3.5

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby beachbum » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:23 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
cinefile 17 wrote:Rejected a couple days ago. See my profile for #s. I had already withdrawn due to my UCLA ED acceptance so that kind of softened the blow. Still dampened my mood though.


It really does seem like Texas has a soft floor around 3.4-3.5


Yeah, and I'd say it's probably closer to 3.5 (or higher?) than 3.4. Needless to say, I'm not expecting great news.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:36 pm

beachbum wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
cinefile 17 wrote:Rejected a couple days ago. See my profile for #s. I had already withdrawn due to my UCLA ED acceptance so that kind of softened the blow. Still dampened my mood though.


It really does seem like Texas has a soft floor around 3.4-3.5


Yeah, and I'd say it's probably closer to 3.5 (or higher?) than 3.4. Needless to say, I'm not expecting great news.


ED to UVA :lol: :lol:

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby beachbum » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:54 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
beachbum wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
cinefile 17 wrote:Rejected a couple days ago. See my profile for #s. I had already withdrawn due to my UCLA ED acceptance so that kind of softened the blow. Still dampened my mood though.


It really does seem like Texas has a soft floor around 3.4-3.5


Yeah, and I'd say it's probably closer to 3.5 (or higher?) than 3.4. Needless to say, I'm not expecting great news.


ED to UVA :lol: :lol:


ha, I thought about it but decided to go with Duke instead. Hopefully they'll give me the go-ahead and all these other apps (/future WLs) will be moot.

User avatar
ads222
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:50 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby ads222 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:22 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
ads222 wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:What's considered "lots of dough?". It hasnt been a week since my package arrived, so i haven't received any scholarship info. But I also doubt I'll get any, since dean ingram didn't mention it in the phone call. Just curious as to what they have given in the past to people with my numbers.



Dean Ingram called me 10/29 and left a message without mentioning money -- I'm 3.79/167 and so definitely expected none. A week-ish later I got a letter with a $76,500 offer (I think it broke down into non-resident tuition exemption plus $9500 each year). A really pleasant surprise.

Obviously IDK what your exact numbers are or how the cycle has shaken out over the past 2/3 weeks, but I don't know why you wouldn't get money :)


URM?


Unclear. I'm Hispanic (not MA or PR), and I don't think Texas' application asked for any specifics, but I did briefly mention where my family is from in my diversity statement. So either Texas knew or didn't know. Not very helpful, I'm sorry haha

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:34 pm

just got a call from a current student congratulating me on the acceptance and asking if I had further questions. Did anyone got one of those calls and not get scholarship money?

CMDantes
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby CMDantes » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:38 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:just got a call from a current student congratulating me on the acceptance and asking if I had further questions. Did anyone got one of those calls and not get scholarship money?


I did, that call is meaningless.

I'm just going to wait for the matching program to try to get scholarship money. UT law is pretty cheap compared to comparably ranked programs so I'm not too worried about it.

User avatar
jr8966
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:21 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby jr8966 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:39 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:just got a call from a current student congratulating me on the acceptance and asking if I had further questions. Did anyone got one of those calls and not get scholarship money?


When did you submit and go complete if you do not mind me asking?

HowdyYall
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby HowdyYall » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:29 pm

Just got acceptance call/voicemail, went complete 11/1. Not sure if i should call dean ingram back since i couldnt answer; she kindof left it with "we'll send you a scholarship package in the mail in the next few days"

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:32 pm

HowdyYall wrote:Just got acceptance call/voicemail, went complete 11/1. Not sure if i should call dean ingram back since i couldnt answer; she kindof left it with "we'll send you a scholarship package in the mail in the next few days"

You don't have to call back. Call if you want to talk to her, but you already know what she called to tell you. Congrats.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:34 pm

Looked through thread briefly but couldn't find the answer. Does your status checker change from "Your JD application was processed on ___________, 2010 and is currently being considered for Early Decision" to something else before a decision goes out?

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:36 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Looked through thread briefly but couldn't find the answer. Does your status checker change from "Your JD application was processed on ___________, 2010 and is currently being considered for Early Decision" to something else before a decision goes out?


My checker didn't change at all until about 3 days after I got an acceptance call.

txlaw
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby txlaw » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:47 pm

Just got an email that I'm being held for regular decision. Is there anything I can do at this point to help my chances? UT is the only school I want to attend. Should I write a "why UT" letter or would that just annoy the admissions comittee? Also, If I get a legal job before they make a decision should I update them about it? Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm totally stressing out about this.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:49 pm

txlaw wrote:Just got an email that I'm being held for regular decision. Is there anything I can do at this point to help my chances? UT is the only school I want to attend. Should I write a "why UT" letter or would that just annoy the admissions comittee? Also, If I get a legal job before they make a decision should I update them about it? Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm totally stressing out about this.

Yes to all questions. Next.

whymeohgodno
Posts: 2508
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:51 pm

Just noticed lawschoolpredictor gave me a weaker index number for UT than Cornell. Doesn't UT have lower medians for both LSAT/GPA? Weird.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: applicationquestions, bigtytybird, Exabot [Bot] and 5 guests