Texas 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
francisConn

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby francisConn » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:42 pm

&CanIGetAHotTub? wrote:Got the call an hour ago. Psyched.

Complete 1/6

167, over 3.7, OOS for those wondering.

You're one of the lowest OOS (#s wise) I've seen so far (excluding URMs). Congrats!

&CanIGetAHotTub?

Postby &CanIGetAHotTub? » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:03 pm

francisConn wrote:

Complete 1/6

You're one of the lowest OOS (#s wise) I've seen so far (excluding URMs). Congrats!

Thanks. Wrote a Why UT, great work experience, and in my opinion very strong softs from undergrad. Must have given me the needed boost.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Complete 1/6

congrats!! Is UT high on your list?

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Also In Today. OOS 168/3.6x. Only medium softs and did not write a Why UT. Thought I was headed for a WL so keep up hope to those of you still waiting!

Guicciardini

Postby Guicciardini » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:39 pm

Cade McNown wrote:Also In Today. OOS 168/3.6x. Only medium softs and did not write a Why UT. Thought I was headed for a WL so keep up hope to those of you still waiting!

How did you hear? I'm very interested because I'm OOS, 169/3.4 and I have really, really good softs and WE, and I didn't write a Why UT. I'd argue you're as close as I'll get to a twin.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:44 pm

Congrats guys. I submitted in early January, so hopefully I will be getting a response soon.

OOS, 3.7, 169.

&CanIGetAHotTub?

Postby &CanIGetAHotTub? » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:45 pm

akili wrote:

Complete 1/6

congrats!! Is UT high on your list?

Yes, right at the top. Waiting on one other school that might change my mind, but it's a long shot.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Guicciardini wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:Also In Today. OOS 168/3.6x. Only medium softs and did not write a Why UT. Thought I was headed for a WL so keep up hope to those of you still waiting!

How did you hear? I'm very interested because I'm OOS, 169/3.4 and I have really, really good softs and WE, and I didn't write a Why UT. I'd argue you're as close as I'll get to a twin.

I got the call from Dean Ingram. On LSN all 169 admits have at least a 3.6 <http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats>, so your GPA may be holding you back as of right now. Keep holding out though, hopefully good news will come in due time.

Guicciardini

Postby Guicciardini » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:50 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
Guicciardini wrote:

I got the call from Dean Ingram. On LSN all 169 admits have at least a 3.6 <http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats>, so your GPA may be holding you back as of right now. Keep holding out though, hopefully good news will come in due time.

Aye, one more reason I bloody hate my now former school's ridiculous curriculum. Congrats yourself!

gummy19vp

Postby gummy19vp » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:04 pm

Rejected via snail mailnot a surprise still hurts smu here I come

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Townes-Rice scholarships are in the mail.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:37 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:Townes-Rice scholarships are in the mail.

What exactly are these? Forgive my ignorance...

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:39 pm

akili wrote:

http://www.utexas.edu/law/finaid/schola ... award.html

JazzOne is a Townes-Rice scholar, I believe.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:
akili wrote:

Whoa. Wow.

turbotong

Postby turbotong » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:03 pm

HEY GUYS!!
I'm was accepted, and probably going to go there. I might head down there for a campus visit this Sunday/Monday since I have Monday off for presidents' day. Anyone wana join me?
Post up and PM me if you want to meet !

adamtx11

Postby adamtx11 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:34 pm

Waitlisted with a 3.7, 166, good recs, decent softs, etc.

Anybody know what my chances are on the waitlist? Have any friends with a similar experience?

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:19 am

akili wrote:
akili wrote:

Whoa. Wow.

I wants one pleez, UT

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:23 am

pereira6 wrote:
I wants one pleez, UT

I thought people who are supposed to be receiving them have already been notified? Or were they just invites earlier?

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:27 am

r6_philly wrote:
I thought people who are supposed to be receiving them have already been notified? Or were they just invites earlier?

Not sure philly...with my scholly info already given I know I'm not getting one, but I sure do want one haha

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:34 am

Guicciardini wrote:

No because Texas has a pretty soft GPA floor at 3.4. I've seen them reject 170+/3.4s.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:53 am

akili wrote:

I did not get this particular scholarship. The law school covers my tuition and fees. The Texas Exes alumni association gives me a separate stipend each semester. It's possible to get a full-tuition scholarship from the law school even if you're not one of the eight Townes-Rice scholars.

Good luck everyone.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:27 am

I just got a 5:00 AM email offering me a spot on the waitlist. I'm in shock. All I want to do is respond to the email saying "Fuck you, Texas."

I'm 169, 3.69 LSDAS GPA, 3.7 UGPA, OOS. Check out LSN. The only higher WL than me is a 173, 3.6. I don't know what I could have done wrong. If there had been a major error on my application, I would have gotten straight rejected, right? I just don't understand. I have the median GPA and 75% LSAT. People with my numbers from OOS are getting IS tuition, some more money on top of that. I have three instances of prolonged work experience in law offices dating back to my senior year in high school. Why has my number one choice forsaken me? Why didn't I write a Why Texas essay? Oh, yeah, because I was median GPA and 75th LSAT, I didn't deem it necessary. I guess they didn't deem it necessary to admit me without one, either. Would it had even helped?

http://texas.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats ... Cycle=1011

At least one thing is for sure: Texas is not just about the numbers. I learned that the hard way.

Should I even bother staying on the WL? I don't want to wait until July to find out if I'm in or not. I also cannot attend without the scholarship I fully expected to receive, and I know no money will come if they happen to admit me later. This has completely ruined my cycle and drained any motivation I had about going to law school.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:18 am

@Pricer:

Sorry to hear that, but try to put it in perspective. You applied relatively late for one of the limited out of state spots. They may have already made all of their bigger OOS money offers and may not feel that they can afford to recruit you. If your application has no flaws, Michigan, Duke, Georgetown are all possible, and Vandy is almost a certainty, as would be schools like USC and UCLA. Your cycle is far from over unless you ONLY wanted Texas, in which case a Why UT would have been a smart move.

You'll be fine, you have great numbers for anywhere between 13 and down, and they may get you in anywhere between UM and Duke depending. Chill.

FWIW, I felt similar when Michigan rejected me, but I just figured it was something in my application. Find your explanation and move on.

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:24 pm

JazzOne wrote:
akili wrote:

I did not get this particular scholarship. The law school covers my tuition and fees. The Texas Exes alumni association gives me a separate stipend each semester. It's possible to get a full-tuition scholarship from the law school even if you're not one of the eight Townes-Rice scholars.

Good luck everyone.

Ah, sorry for the misinformation--I think I remember you saying you received a stipend and I only knew of the Townes-Rice stipend. Nice deal, regardless.

Pricer

Postby Pricer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:43 pm

mr_toad wrote:@Pricer:

Sorry to hear that, but try to put it in perspective. You applied relatively late for one of the limited out of state spots. They may have already made all of their bigger OOS money offers and may not feel that they can afford to recruit you. If your application has no flaws, Michigan, Duke, Georgetown are all possible, and Vandy is almost a certainty, as would be schools like USC and UCLA. Your cycle is far from over unless you ONLY wanted Texas, in which case a Why UT would have been a smart move.

You'll be fine, you have great numbers for anywhere between 13 and down, and they may get you in anywhere between UM and Duke depending. Chill.

FWIW, I felt similar when Michigan rejected me, but I just figured it was something in my application. Find your explanation and move on.

The only thing about that is that other OOS applicants that submitted the same time as me have been getting accepted with numbers around mine. But I appreciate the encouragement. I agree that not writing Why UT statement was quite idiotic.

My Vandy decision was mailed out two days ago, so I should be receiving it soon. I'm expecting WL, but praying admit. Still, I won't get money from them, and $200k debt is a lot. I'm also still waiting to hear back from UCLA, USC, Cornell, UVA, and Michigan. I expect to get into UCLA and USC, but I had kind of talked myself out of the west coast since I have zero connections, have never actually been, and keep hearing that Cali is suffering. I expect to get into Cornell, too, but I don't think I could handle the freezing winters or working in NYC, not to mention the debt. If for some reason UVA or Michigan accepts me -- which I fully expect a straight reject, not even a WL -- I believe I would take on the debt to pay sticker at one of those. UVA and UT were equal favorites, but I never thought I stood a shot at UVA. My numbers are too low for my softs to be so weak.

Well, if all else fails, I've been accepted to UGA, where I went to undergrad and live in state. I expect some scholarship money from them on top of an already insanely low in state tuition and CoL. I also have a couple of amazing connections in the Atlanta legal market. Maybe I should just stay here.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”