Texas 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sanguar

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby sanguar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:58 pm

This has been a topic both here and in the In @ thread (so I'll post in both, sorry to those who read it twice), but I just got an email offering me $$ for travel to ASD. So those who have been waiting for this, check your inboxes.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:07 pm

So I just saw on LSN that the first person with the same complete date as me (1/26) just got a decision! (Sorry about the rejection RowdieFan, wherever you are...)
This means that something definitive is getting closer. It's a small thing to get so excited about, yet I wait with bated breath.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:08 pm

<sigh> anyone else been complete for 2+ mos now? :|

betweenthetwo

Postby betweenthetwo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:10 pm

I've been complete for 2 months, but I'm expecting a rejection, so I'm not complaining.

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:15 pm

krad wrote:<sigh> anyone else been complete for 2+ mos now? :|

complete since 11/11. Thought it would be lucky?

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:37 pm

sanguar wrote:This has been a topic both here and in the In @ thread (so I'll post in both, sorry to those who read it twice), but I just got an email offering me $$ for travel to ASD. So those who have been waiting for this, check your inboxes.

Also, for anyone interested, I just called to ask if they could up the travel $ (most of the flights from my area are almost twice their $ offer) and they said they can't.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:39 pm

sanguar wrote:
sanguar wrote:This has been a topic both here and in the In @ thread (so I'll post in both, sorry to those who read it twice), but I just got an email offering me $$ for travel to ASD. So those who have been waiting for this, check your inboxes.

Also, for anyone interested, I just called to ask if they could up the travel $ (most of the flights from my area are almost twice their $ offer) and they said they can't.

I'm assuming that no email = no stipend? That blows, I really wanted an excuse to visit Austin again.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Got one too

edit: does this mean we are more likely going to get a nice scholarship offer as well?

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:49 pm

Just received, but yeah, the money they're offering barely covers plane ticket. If. Vandy does it right.

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:57 pm

Got my scholly in the mail today. $7K per year if "good academic standing".... I know it is much, but I wasn't expecting any merit $$ from them, so I'll take $21K and run with it! Plus I'm hoping I'll qualify for some need-based...Austin here I come! :mrgreen:

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:26 am

Oh hey, 200$. I was probably going to visit anyways, so that's good to have.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:21 pm

JTMan wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
originalmutt wrote:In-N-Out is greatness, but Whataburger is better.

Whataburger is better in terms of variety, but In N out wins best burger. In college, I lived pretty close to each. I love the bbq chicken sandwiches at whataburger though

Yea the In-n-Out menu is limited and its shortcoming. We'll make you anything you want....as long as it is a combination of like the only 6 ingredients in the back.

Or if you know the secret menu.

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:24 pm

lisjjen wrote:
JTMan wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
originalmutt wrote:In-N-Out is greatness, but Whataburger is better.

Whataburger is better in terms of variety, but In N out wins best burger. In college, I lived pretty close to each. I love the bbq chicken sandwiches at whataburger though

Yea the In-n-Out menu is limited and its shortcoming. We'll make you anything you want....as long as it is a combination of like the only 6 ingredients in the back.

Or if you know the secret menu.

Secretly a combination of the 6 ingredients we have in the back hahaha

coug11

Postby coug11 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:37 pm

pereira6 wrote:Oh hey, 200$. I was probably going to visit anyways, so that's good to have.

I like the $200, but still not Vandy where they pay everything... I haven't decided if I'm going to visit yet or not... Do you think if I e-mail them there's a chance of increasing that money? That might make it worth it...

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:39 pm

coug11 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:Oh hey, 200$. I was probably going to visit anyways, so that's good to have.

I like the $200, but still not Vandy where they pay everything... I haven't decided if I'm going to visit yet or not... Do you think if I e-mail them there's a chance of increasing that money? That might make it worth it...

I called the other day and they said they couldn't up the amount. You may have more luck than I did - not like there's anything to lose by trying - but that was my experience fwiw.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:54 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Just go to Lockhart

truth. Kreuz' bbq ftw. Or, if you need to stay in city limits, go to Franklin's. I like Mueller's a lot up in Taylor, too. Of course, according to TX Monthly, the best brisket in the state belongs to Snow's, but it's hella far and only open one day a week (saturday) from 8am until they run out (around noon).

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:25 pm

quick rejection.

3.5, LSAT in 170s OOS. i was really interested. i waited till jan. in hopes of getting a fee waiver. i got my rejection letter 2 weeks after my app went complete. very interesting.

akili

Postby akili » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:26 pm

justadude55 wrote:quick rejection.

3.5, LSAT in 170s OOS. i was really interested. i waited till jan. in hopes of getting a fee waiver. i got my rejection letter 2 weeks after my app went complete. very interesting.

That's really odd. Maybe YP? I have no idea...

whitman

Postby whitman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:30 pm

justadude55 wrote:quick rejection.

Dude, your cycle is wack. Are you sure your LOCI's were good and you didn't make any major blunders in your applications? I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, it just seems like you should be having much greater success than you've been seeing.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:03 pm

i did have major disciplinary action in UG, and sent in my app really late.

my PS about overcoming a disability might have been a bad way to go, because i think a lot of these schools don't want somebody who had a disability even if they overcame it, and the disciplinary action might be a way to avoid being accused of breaking the civil rights act.

i'm still hoping for penn. if not, i have bloomington for free....

if i could do it again or give advise, i'd say absolutely do not focus on overcoming a disability because it shows there was "something wrong with you" -- even if you overcame it. i should have focused on my physical resume accomplishments, and played it more standard.

whitman

Postby whitman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:21 pm

justadude55 wrote:i did have major disciplinary action in UG, and sent in my app really late.

my PS about overcoming a disability might have been a bad way to go, because i think a lot of these schools don't want somebody who had a disability even if they overcame it, and the disciplinary action might be a way to avoid being accused of breaking the civil rights act.

i'm still hoping for penn. if not, i have bloomington for free....

if i could do it again or give advise, i'd say absolutely do not focus on overcoming a disability because it shows there was "something wrong with you" -- even if you overcame it. i should have focused on my physical resume accomplishments, and played it more standard.

Hey man, a full ride at IU-Bloomington is a fantastic option, and overcoming a disability is a huge accomplishment in itself.

Edit: good luck with Penn.
Last edited by whitman on Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:22 pm

if only law schools agreed.

i could have seen myself in texas cause i love hot weather. i know IU is all the way down in the mid 20s so i am afraid of being unemployed.

granted a 3.52 is not sooo impressive, and i was behind medians on the GPA at every school i applied to.

honestly i don't think my cycle is soooo bad. i mean i got in major trouble for calling my ex-girlfriend a slut, and then being caught lying about calling her a slut. should i ever gotten in trouble? no. should i have lied about it after i got in trouble? absolutely not, which is why i expected it to influence my cycle.

theLSATnemesis

Postby theLSATnemesis » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:24 pm

I am going to use my GI Bill to pay for law school (it will cover full public tuition), if I get any money, like 7k a year, do I get to keep it? Do they give it to me or just subtract it off of the tuition?

Another thing, I only have about 4 semesters worth of GI Bill left. Will they let me use the money I didn't use in the first two years towards the third year?

--I have not applied to law school yet, this is for future reference. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this. Thanks.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:29 pm

theLSATnemesis wrote:I am going to use my GI Bill to pay for law school (it will cover full public tuition), if I get any money, like 7k a year, do I get to keep it? Do they give it to me or just subtract it off of the tuition?

Another thing, I only have about 4 semesters worth of GI Bill left. Will they let me use the money I didn't use in the first two years towards the third year?

--I have not applied to law school yet, this is for future reference. I just wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this. Thanks.

they don't just give you cash. they throw it off your tuition. that's why they're so lax with giving money out to people they accept.

isn't the GI Bill a specific amount of money? can't you just subtract 7k a yr from what you use, and have 21k extra so you only have to pay for 1 semester of LS?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:34 pm

justadude55 wrote:if only law schools agreed.

i could have seen myself in texas cause i love hot weather. i know IU is all the way down in the mid 20s so i am afraid of being unemployed.

granted a 3.52 is not sooo impressive, and i was behind medians on the GPA at every school i applied to.

honestly i don't think my cycle is soooo bad. i mean i got in major trouble for calling my ex-girlfriend a slut, and then being caught lying about calling her a slut. should i ever gotten in trouble? no. should i have lied about it after i got in trouble? absolutely not, which is why i expected it to influence my cycle.

Not to derail this thread or anything, but how in the world do you get in trouble for that?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”