Texas 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BeachandRun23

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby BeachandRun23 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but when will we find out info about the admitted student day? I know what days it is, but will they provide us with an itenerary of what will be occuring and some info on where to stay etc. We also usually have to RSVP. Anyone have a clue as to where this info is or when me might receive it? Id like to make my ASW plans soon.

I asked last week, they said info will be made available when they are available.

Thanks.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:30 pm

Is the ~75k scholly (scholarship + instate tuition= ~75k) as much as texas usually gives out, or could I negotiate it up? A little more money would all but make texas a lock for me...

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:10 pm

Is anyone else still ED held without a decision? Surviving all these cuts so far gives me a false glimmer of hope. I reallllllyyyyy want a call from UT. Please please please.

leidice

Postby leidice » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:05 am

Does anyone know if Texas would accept a Why-UT letter after I have already submitted my application? If so, should I email it to them? (I don't mean LOCI, as my app has only been UR for about a week or so, but I'm hoping to send this in to help my odds. LSAC, LSP and LSN show people with my numbers as having a 50% chance.)

coug11

Postby coug11 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:38 am

leidice wrote:Does anyone know if Texas would accept a Why-UT letter after I have already submitted my application? If so, should I email it to them? (I don't mean LOCI, as my app has only been UR for about a week or so, but I'm hoping to send this in to help my odds. LSAC, LSP and LSN show people with my numbers as having a 50% chance.)

Call them and ask! Good luck!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:13 am

So, my usual question after I get accepted somewhere...

...anyone know if Texas will provide any reimbursement towards a visit?

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:31 am

pereira6 wrote:So, my usual question after I get accepted somewhere...

I called them to ask about it last week and whoever I talked to (I think it might have been Dean Ingram, but I can't recall for certain) said that reimbursement is pretty much by invitation only and they haven't set the criteria for extending the invitations yet. I think I recall somebody on one of the threads suggesting that it has something to do with the same method they use to determine scholly $$ (which makes sense, if they're offering you scholly $$, they're interested in "wooing" you, and a travel reimbursement is one big way of doing that).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:36 am

sanguar wrote:

I called them to ask about it last week and whoever I talked to (I think it might have been Dean Ingram, but I can't recall for certain) said that reimbursement is pretty much by invitation only and they haven't set the criteria for extending the invitations yet. I think I recall somebody on one of the threads suggesting that it has something to do with the same method they use to determine scholly $$ (which makes sense, if they're offering you scholly $$, they're interested in "wooing" you, and a travel reimbursement is one big way of doing that).

Don't we both have large scholly? If they don't woo us who would they woo? I would love to go visit, but I need to know so I can book flights.

I got the same answer as you last week. Flights are not plenty from here...

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:41 am

sanguar wrote:

As a recepient of a generous scholarship, I hope this is the truth! Please, please give me a reason to spend 2-3 days out of this miserable upstate NY cold weather...(oh, and visit a sick law school too)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:42 am

pereira6 wrote:As a recepient of a generous scholarship, I hope this is the truth! Please, please give me a reason to spend 2-3 days out of this miserable upstate NY cold weather...(oh, and visit a sick law school too)

I hope we get to drink to/in warmer weathers in 7 weeks.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:43 am

r6_philly wrote:
Don't we both have large scholly? If they don't woo us who would they woo? I would love to go visit, but I need to know so I can book flights.

Yeah, I was a bit irritated as well about that since, the longer it takes them to "invite" us (and I'm certain they will given the $$ they've already offered), the more difficult it is to do the planning. I'm hoping they extend the invitations soon. There's no way I'm going to a school I haven't visited and though right now Texas isn't in the lead for me, a visit could change my mind. But I'm not paying my own way to get down there: I'd rather feed my kids!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:48 am

sanguar wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Yeah, I was a bit irritated as well about that since, the longer it takes them to "invite" us (and I'm certain they will given the $$ they've already offered), the more difficult it is to do the planning. I'm hoping they extend the invitations soon. There's no way I'm going to a school I haven't visited and though right now Texas isn't in the lead for me, a visit could change my mind. But I'm not paying my own way to get down there: I'd rather feed my kids!

lol I hear you. Also I have Penn's ASW on Friday, and work Mon-Wed so I have no flexibility in dates/times. I hope it works out, if not someone will hopefully get my in-state waiver at least.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:17 am

r6_philly wrote:lol I hear you. Also I have Penn's ASW on Friday, and work Mon-Wed so I have no flexibility in dates/times. I hope it works out, if not someone will hopefully get my in-state waiver at least.

This Friday? Or do you mean the Friday of Texas' ASW?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:17 am

pereira6 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:lol I hear you. Also I have Penn's ASW on Friday, and work Mon-Wed so I have no flexibility in dates/times. I hope it works out, if not someone will hopefully get my in-state waiver at least.

This Friday? Or do you mean the Friday of Texas' ASW?

Same Friday as Texas'.

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:03 pm

Does anybody know if the Forum on Freshlaw actually gets used or is most of the discussion between prospective students confined to TLS?

melamine

Postby melamine » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:07 pm

Just got a call today - accepted at UT Austin (that's what Texas refers to, yes?). Very short - but she was very nice. Said that more information and scholarship information would come in the mail (and i don't think she was yet implying that there was in fact a scholarship - info would be coming in a few weeks). Is this normal that they won't have scholarship info available more immediately?

Also - went complete Jan. 25th (received e-mail). (submitted around Jan. 11th).

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:55 pm

melamine wrote:Just got a call today - accepted at UT Austin (that's what Texas refers to, yes?). Very short - but she was very nice. Said that more information and scholarship information would come in the mail (and i don't think she was yet implying that there was in fact a scholarship - info would be coming in a few weeks). Is this normal that they won't have scholarship info available more immediately?

Also - went complete Jan. 25th (received e-mail). (submitted around Jan. 11th).

:) Congrats.

Texas = the University of Texas at Austin. It's the biggest and best of the UT system so it's okay to simply refer to it as "Texas."

aquyenl

Postby aquyenl » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:40 pm

alrighty, been waiting since 11/1. i think it's safe to say i'm headed to WL doom. i really should've signed up for the feb lsat :/

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:44 pm

Horns basketball currently treating A&M like TTTT (in terms of basketball).

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:53 pm

Up 27, did they not understand there was supposed to be a game tonight?

abb586

Postby abb586 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:57 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:Up 27, did they not understand there was supposed to be a game tonight?

+1

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:03 am

Just left the game. I don't know how I'm going to put up with the insufferable tu fans next year. If the law students who didn't go to undergrad there hop on the bandwagon my life is going to be miserable during the times surrounding sporting events. At least A&M and Texas are heading in opposite directions in football and that's all the really matters in Texas.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:05 am

Wow. I say, hook 'em.

edit to add: if you are going to go to UT next year, you'll probably have to get used to it....just saying. And you'll probably have to get used to people not liking it when you call it 'tu'
Last edited by akili on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:07 am

12thman2011 wrote:Just left the game. I don't know how I'm going to put up with the insufferable tu fans next year. If the law students who didn't go to undergrad there hop on the bandwagon my life is going to be miserable during the times surrounding sporting events. At least A&M and Texas are heading in opposite directions in football and that's all the really matters in Texas.

We'll see about football.

12thman2011

Postby 12thman2011 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:13 am

I can handle educated fans who are students of the game that can carry on an intelligent conversation about the sport. However the clueless, arrogant fans are the ones that I can't handle.

I'll be the first to admit Texas is a phenomenal basketball team this year and A&M was outclassed in every aspect of the game tonight, but then again with the way Texas is playing right now they are the best team in the nation.

5-7 is all I have to say about football. If you'd like to get into an XOs talk about it have after it, but the facts clearly stand on A&M's side.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”