Texas 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Guicciardini
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby Guicciardini » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:52 pm

francisConn wrote:I think around these numbers (166/3.6ish/in state) softs, PS, LORs finally come into play for UT. I wonder if any adcomm read my LSAT writing section, lol. I hope not.


I deliberately wrote an LSAT writing sample that would either infuriate an adcomm, or so amuse them as to grant me instant admission. Was that stupid? Well, I certainly hope no one in Austin thinks so!

User avatar
LttleBlakDress
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby LttleBlakDress » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Guicciardini wrote:
francisConn wrote:I think around these numbers (166/3.6ish/in state) softs, PS, LORs finally come into play for UT. I wonder if any adcomm read my LSAT writing section, lol. I hope not.


I deliberately wrote an LSAT writing sample that would either infuriate an adcomm, or so amuse them as to grant me instant admission. Was that stupid? Well, I certainly hope no one in Austin thinks so!


Not to scare you but I know a guy who had a gpa above 3.4 and a 170 and did a smiley face instead of a LSAT writing sample and only got into Hastings. Just saying.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:55 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:Not to scare you but I know a guy who had a gpa above 3.4 and a 170 and did a smiley face instead of a LSAT writing sample and only got into Hastings. Just saying.


I forgot how to spell on my writing samples + I could barely read what I wrote (well this happens all the time anyway).

The smiley may not be the breaking point, the entire application from someone who's ___ enough to draw a smiley on the LSAT probably sinked him.

Guicciardini
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby Guicciardini » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:Not to scare you but I know a guy who had a gpa above 3.4 and a 170 and did a smiley face instead of a LSAT writing sample and only got into Hastings. Just saying.


I forgot how to spell on my writing samples + I could barely read what I wrote (well this happens all the time anyway).

The smiley may not be the breaking point, the entire application from someone who's ___ enough to draw a smiley on the LSAT probably sinked him.



Yea, I'm a pretty accomplished writer and researcher (to the extent that everyone save my thesis advisor thought I should go to history grad school - she wanted me at law school, though, and so did I), so I didn't exactly draw a smiley face on my sample.

It was just a little, ahem, unusual.

Especially since I may have done part of the sample in the form of a Platonic dialogue, and I'm 100% sure that I used French and Latin.

EDIT: Actually, reading that out loud makes me think I may be a bit of a lunatic. So maybe I'm worse off than Mr. Smiley!

User avatar
francisConn
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby francisConn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:10 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:
Guicciardini wrote:
francisConn wrote:I think around these numbers (166/3.6ish/in state) softs, PS, LORs finally come into play for UT. I wonder if any adcomm read my LSAT writing section, lol. I hope not.


I deliberately wrote an LSAT writing sample that would either infuriate an adcomm, or so amuse them as to grant me instant admission. Was that stupid? Well, I certainly hope no one in Austin thinks so!


Not to scare you but I know a guy who had a gpa above 3.4 and a 170 and did a smiley face instead of a LSAT writing sample and only got into Hastings. Just saying.



Ohh Lord, why, why why.

I noticed some people in my testing room just sitting there during the writing section. I hoped they'd already decided to cancel their score or something, or maybe they figured they were so bad at writing on the spot that anything they wrote would be considerably worse than a blank page.

User avatar
swimmergirl1303
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:26 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby swimmergirl1303 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Guicciardini wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:Not to scare you but I know a guy who had a gpa above 3.4 and a 170 and did a smiley face instead of a LSAT writing sample and only got into Hastings. Just saying.


I forgot how to spell on my writing samples + I could barely read what I wrote (well this happens all the time anyway).

The smiley may not be the breaking point, the entire application from someone who's ___ enough to draw a smiley on the LSAT probably sinked him.



Yea, I'm a pretty accomplished writer and researcher (to the extent that everyone save my thesis advisor thought I should go to history grad school - she wanted me at law school, though, and so did I), so I didn't exactly draw a smiley face on my sample.

It was just a little, ahem, unusual.

Especially since I may have done part of the sample in the form of a Platonic dialogue, and I'm 100% sure that I used French and Latin.

EDIT: Actually, reading that out loud makes me think I may be a bit of a lunatic. So maybe I'm worse off than Mr. Smiley!


That's so awesome. I love it. I feel like that will be hit or miss with AdComms but maybe you'll get someone with a sense of humor.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:13 pm

Guicciardini wrote:
Especially since I may have done part of the sample in the form of a Platonic dialogue, and I'm 100% sure that I used French and Latin.


I do not know what to make of this, except for the fact that I wish I could pull off such a stunt.

I could have written it in Chinese but they would have failed me quicker ...

User avatar
francisConn
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby francisConn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:17 pm

Guicciardini wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:Not to scare you but I know a guy who had a gpa above 3.4 and a 170 and did a smiley face instead of a LSAT writing sample and only got into Hastings. Just saying.


I forgot how to spell on my writing samples + I could barely read what I wrote (well this happens all the time anyway).

The smiley may not be the breaking point, the entire application from someone who's ___ enough to draw a smiley on the LSAT probably sinked him.



Yea, I'm a pretty accomplished writer and researcher (to the extent that everyone save my thesis advisor thought I should go to history grad school - she wanted me at law school, though, and so did I), so I didn't exactly draw a smiley face on my sample.

It was just a little, ahem, unusual.

Especially since I may have done part of the sample in the form of a Platonic dialogue, and I'm 100% sure that I used French and Latin.

EDIT: Actually, reading that out loud makes me think I may be a bit of a lunatic. So maybe I'm worse off than Mr. Smiley!


Lol. Was one of the participants in the dialogue Socrates and the other usual suspects?

Guicciardini
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby Guicciardini » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:33 pm

francisConn wrote:
Guicciardini wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
LttleBlakDress wrote:Not to scare you but I know a guy who had a gpa above 3.4 and a 170 and did a smiley face instead of a LSAT writing sample and only got into Hastings. Just saying.


I forgot how to spell on my writing samples + I could barely read what I wrote (well this happens all the time anyway).

The smiley may not be the breaking point, the entire application from someone who's ___ enough to draw a smiley on the LSAT probably sinked him.



Yea, I'm a pretty accomplished writer and researcher (to the extent that everyone save my thesis advisor thought I should go to history grad school - she wanted me at law school, though, and so did I), so I didn't exactly draw a smiley face on my sample.

It was just a little, ahem, unusual.

Especially since I may have done part of the sample in the form of a Platonic dialogue, and I'm 100% sure that I used French and Latin.

EDIT: Actually, reading that out loud makes me think I may be a bit of a lunatic. So maybe I'm worse off than Mr. Smiley!


Lol. Was one of the participants in the dialogue Socrates and the other usual suspects?


My area of expertise is Early Modern - specifically Italian and Northern Renaissance/Early Reformation Intellectual History.

So the participants were Machiavelli, Guicciardini, Seyssel, Erasmus, More, and Raphael Hythloday (the person who tells More about Utopia).

Fun facts: My personal statement was about how reading Machiavelli and Seyssel made me want to go to law school.

My honors thesis (which I should have expanded and submitted for a Master's as well) was Bodin plus the main Huguenot writers, Machiavelli, Seyssel, Luther, and Calvin. I figured if it got me special honors at Chicago, it might get me into Law School. Didn't at Chicago though :(

EDIT: If only I had written them all with accents from various parts of Texas!

User avatar
francisConn
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby francisConn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:45 pm

haha Very interesting. I took my writing section prompt, promptly picked a side, argued its points, diminished the counter-points, called it a day; played it safe, in other words. :)

WarioLaw
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:10 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby WarioLaw » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Just missed a call from Dean Ingram! I am very excited about UT.

Is there an etiquette on returning these calls? She did not ask that I call her back. She did mention sending a scholarship offer in the next few weeks. I am very curious to hear additional information, but I don't want to bother her in the midst of her making admissions calls.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby akili » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:56 pm

To those who got phone calls from Sam Reily/Riley and didn't have scholarships mentioned...you could still be getting them!

I just got 9,500/year with good academic standing!!! (this is on top of in-state tuition)

!!!!!!!!! :)

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:56 pm

akili wrote:To those who got phone calls from Sam Reily/Riley and didn't have scholarships mentioned...you could still be getting them!

I just got 9,500/year with good academic standing!!! (this is on top of in-state tuition)

!!!!!!!!! :)


Congrats! That's the same deal I get OOS!

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby akili » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:
akili wrote:To those who got phone calls from Sam Reily/Riley and didn't have scholarships mentioned...you could still be getting them!

I just got 9,500/year with good academic standing!!! (this is on top of in-state tuition)

!!!!!!!!! :)


Congrats! That's the same deal I get OOS!


Michigan is my dream school, but I just don't know if any school can beat UT right now. I'm from Austin and my family is here + in-state + scholarship + job opportunities. I wish I liked the heat more.

It's hard to remember what summer feels like on days like today. It's 61 and perfect right now.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:06 pm

akili wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
akili wrote:To those who got phone calls from Sam Reily/Riley and didn't have scholarships mentioned...you could still be getting them!

I just got 9,500/year with good academic standing!!! (this is on top of in-state tuition)

!!!!!!!!! :)


Congrats! That's the same deal I get OOS!


Michigan is my dream school, but I just don't know if any school can beat UT right now. I'm from Austin and my family is here + in-state + scholarship + job opportunities. I wish I liked the heat more.

It's hard to remember what summer feels like on days like today. It's 61 and perfect right now.


That's a pretty sweet deal, I was seriously considering it as an option. FWIW I don't know if I would pay $48k to go to UM instead of $17k to Texas.

User avatar
francisConn
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby francisConn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:06 pm

akili wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
akili wrote:To those who got phone calls from Sam Reily/Riley and didn't have scholarships mentioned...you could still be getting them!

I just got 9,500/year with good academic standing!!! (this is on top of in-state tuition)

!!!!!!!!! :)


Congrats! That's the same deal I get OOS!


Michigan is my dream school, but I just don't know if any school can beat UT right now. I'm from Austin and my family is here + in-state + scholarship + job opportunities. I wish I liked the heat more.

It's hard to remember what summer feels like on days like today. It's 61 and perfect right now.


Congrats on the scholly! Dean Ingram didn't mention it to me either, so I can hope it wasn't because there is no $ for me.

User avatar
francisConn
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby francisConn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:07 pm

+ Agreed on the weather. Texas winter = perfect. Every other season of the year I'm wishing I'm up in Quebec.

User avatar
spacepenguin
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby spacepenguin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:08 pm

akili wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
akili wrote:To those who got phone calls from Sam Reily/Riley and didn't have scholarships mentioned...you could still be getting them!

I just got 9,500/year with good academic standing!!! (this is on top of in-state tuition)

!!!!!!!!! :)


Congrats! That's the same deal I get OOS!


Michigan is my dream school, but I just don't know if any school can beat UT right now. I'm from Austin and my family is here + in-state + scholarship + job opportunities. I wish I liked the heat more.

It's hard to remember what summer feels like on days like today. It's 61 and perfect right now.



Did you get the scholarship in the acceptance package?

I know my numbers don't really qualify for money...but I figured mayyybbbee I'd have a shot as URM. Oh well

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby akili » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:09 pm

r6_philly wrote:
akili wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
akili wrote:To those who got phone calls from Sam Reily/Riley and didn't have scholarships mentioned...you could still be getting them!

I just got 9,500/year with good academic standing!!! (this is on top of in-state tuition)

!!!!!!!!! :)


Congrats! That's the same deal I get OOS!


Michigan is my dream school, but I just don't know if any school can beat UT right now. I'm from Austin and my family is here + in-state + scholarship + job opportunities. I wish I liked the heat more.

It's hard to remember what summer feels like on days like today. It's 61 and perfect right now.


That's a pretty sweet deal, I was seriously considering it as an option. FWIW I don't know if I would pay $48k to go to UM instead of $17k to Texas.


I know. Logically it doesn't make any sense, I just really love Michigan. There are a couple of lower ranked schools I'm interested in (with $$ as well). Buuut..Austin is really wonderful. It was a good place to grow up and it's a great place to be an adult.

Is anyone planning to come down for ASW? I'd be glad to show you around :)

Edit: I got in on the 20th, scholly letter sent on the 24th, arrived (in Austin) today.

Guicciardini
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby Guicciardini » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:10 pm

akili wrote:To those who got phone calls from Sam Reily/Riley and didn't have scholarships mentioned...you could still be getting them!

I just got 9,500/year with good academic standing!!! (this is on top of in-state tuition)

!!!!!!!!! :)


Hot damn, I hope I can wrangle that if I'm accepted.

Cheers! :)

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:12 pm

akili wrote:
I know. Logically it doesn't make any sense, I just really love Michigan. There are a couple of lower ranked schools I'm interested in (with $$ as well). Buuut..Austin is really wonderful. It was a good place to grow up and it's a great place to be an adult.

Is anyone planning to come down for ASW? I'd be glad to show you around :)

Edit: I got in on the 20th, scholly letter sent on the 24th, arrived (in Austin) today.


I have 3 other ASWs schedule just for right now, so I am a little tapped out. Plus with the UVa scholly, I am debating. If they give me the ASW Travel scholly I will still come and negotiate. If not I will probably just let it go. I do want to check out the school though, but probably not at the cost of $600+.

12thman2011
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:55 am

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby 12thman2011 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:24 pm

Y'all are all talking how the weather is great today. It's been cold for Texas winters the last couple of days. Walking to class has sucked when I get out of my truck and realize I didn't bring a heavy jacket to class. I'll definitely be at the admitted student day, but I'll probably be in Austin a couple times between now and then too.

I'm almost 100% set on going to Texas but I don't want to send in a seat deposit yet because people with money might withdraw and there could be money sent my way. Does this thought have any merit? I'm willing to go and grovel for a scholly even if it is relatively small.

User avatar
francisConn
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby francisConn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:36 pm

12thman2011 wrote:Y'all are all talking how the weather is great today. It's been cold for Texas winters the last couple of days. Walking to class has sucked when I get out of my truck and realize I didn't bring a heavy jacket to class. I'll definitely be at the admitted student day, but I'll probably be in Austin a couple times between now and then too.

I'm almost 100% set on going to Texas but I don't want to send in a seat deposit yet because people with money might withdraw and there could be money sent my way. Does this thought have any merit? I'm willing to go and grovel for a scholly even if it is relatively small.


I have this question as well.

pereira6
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby pereira6 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:40 pm

I should have received my scholly letter/other accepted student stuff today. It didn't come :(

pereira6
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby pereira6 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:43 pm

francisConn wrote:
12thman2011 wrote:Y'all are all talking how the weather is great today. It's been cold for Texas winters the last couple of days. Walking to class has sucked when I get out of my truck and realize I didn't bring a heavy jacket to class. I'll definitely be at the admitted student day, but I'll probably be in Austin a couple times between now and then too.

I'm almost 100% set on going to Texas but I don't want to send in a seat deposit yet because people with money might withdraw and there could be money sent my way. Does this thought have any merit? I'm willing to go and grovel for a scholly even if it is relatively small.


I have this question as well.


From my understanding it causes no penalty if you wait until the last minute to put the seat deposit down, so might as well wait. There is also no penalty for putting multiple seat deposits down (aside from losing the down payment dollars of the school(s) you ultimately do not attend), and this might be a viable option for some people as sometimes schollies can be negotiated/given after the seat deposits are due (read: lots of people who do not attend will not withdraw their application, they will simply not put the seat deposit down, which achieves the same effect).




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Bing [Bot], Christinabruin, emirleee, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Leliana, lillawyer2, mmengden, root_beer, spursforever, wiyjkim and 20 guests