Texas 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
neonx

Re: Texas 2011 Applicants

Postby neonx » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:38 pm

longhornlaw wrote:
francisConn wrote:Fourth in.

I'm just here for the gangbang.

No admissions required; count me in.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:18 pm

Was 90% sure I was going to come home to a rejection letter. Have yet to receive it. I guess I live to obsess about UT for another day.

whitman

Postby whitman » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:30 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Was 90% sure I was going to come home to a rejection letter. Have yet to receive it. I guess I live to obsess about UT for another day.

The unsavory rites appear to at least be good for stalling.

doppelganger

Postby doppelganger » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:48 pm

ArchRoark wrote:Was 90% sure I was going to come home to a rejection letter. Have yet to receive it. I guess I live to obsess about UT for another day.

Same here. I had to compose myself before opening the mailbox not to mention endless status checking

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:03 am

I think you mean another couple days since mail doesn't come tomorrow. :)
I, too, had braced myself at the mailbox. Nothin'.
I wish I could just let go and forget about it until I hear back, but I know that's not gonna happen.
I think I might be coming down with the flu (half the city is). The law admissions stress has killed my immune system.

jhw123

Postby jhw123 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:39 pm

francisConn wrote:I'm 3.6X and 167 in-state and expecting waitlist at best. I think the floor for OOS is slightly higher than this.

That being said, I think the will of admissions councils are ultimately inscrutable, so there's no telling really.

I think you have a pretty good shot. I got in with as 3.74, 166 out of state. applied EA.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:53 pm

sanguar wrote:Because other people were curious, when Dean Ingram called to say that I'd been accepted, she said scholarship info would come in the mail. I got the admitted students package in the mail today and there was nothing in there about it BUT my package was open. So I called to ask if it was supposed to be in there or not and she said that the Financial Aid office sends those out separately and it usually comes 1-2 weeks later.

Can I get some affirmation on this? I really, really want Texas, but probably only with a scholarship. I got the phone call, received a badly damaged admitted students package, and no scholarship information. If I get a scholarship, does it come in the third notification?

Thank you TLS!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:52 pm

pereira6 wrote:
sanguar wrote:Because other people were curious, when Dean Ingram called to say that I'd been accepted, she said scholarship info would come in the mail. I got the admitted students package in the mail today and there was nothing in there about it BUT my package was open. So I called to ask if it was supposed to be in there or not and she said that the Financial Aid office sends those out separately and it usually comes 1-2 weeks later.

Can I get some affirmation on this? I really, really want Texas, but probably only with a scholarship. I got the phone call, received a badly damaged admitted students package, and no scholarship information. If I get a scholarship, does it come in the third notification?

Thank you TLS!

Yes, scholarship letter came for me a week after I got the admit package, she did mention it on the phone though. The package was sort of useless since the book was a generic UT book.

Don't you have better options? Wait to see if you have one. You can probably negotiate later anyway since it will take money for you to attend. I think most people who were offered $ will not attend, so you may get some offers in the later rounds once people withdraw.

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:05 pm

jhw123 wrote:
francisConn wrote:I'm 3.6X and 167 in-state and expecting waitlist at best. I think the floor for OOS is slightly higher than this.

That being said, I think the will of admissions councils are ultimately inscrutable, so there's no telling really.

I think you have a pretty good shot. I got in with as 3.74, 166 out of state. applied EA.

Oh Lord, do I hope you're right.

aquyenl

Postby aquyenl » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:08 pm

jhw123 wrote:

3.76/166 in state, but held... pleaseeee admit D:

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:22 pm

r6_philly wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

Thank you TLS!

Yes, scholarship letter came for me a week after I got the admit package, she did mention it on the phone though. The package was sort of useless since the book was a generic UT book.

Don't you have better options? Wait to see if you have one. You can probably negotiate later anyway since it will take money for you to attend. I think most people who were offered $ will not attend, so you may get some offers in the later rounds once people withdraw.

Well so far I have Illinois full ride vs. Penn at (most likely) sticker. I want schools ranked in between to bridge the gap, and Texas is one of the schools that I REALLY would like to bridge the gap haha.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:23 pm

pereira6 wrote:
Well so far I have Illinois full ride vs. Penn at (most likely) sticker. I want schools ranked in between to bridge the gap, and Texas is one of the schools that I REALLY would like to bridge the gap haha.

Don't know for sure, but Penn is reputed to give decent need aid. So if you are not from a rich family the gap may not be as large. I am counting on it.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

Don't know for sure, but Penn is reputed to give decent need aid. So if you are not from a rich family the gap may not be as large. I am counting on it.

A rich family is something I absolutely do not have haha...as you know theres still more decisions to come in so we'll see. At the beginning of my cycle my optimal scenario was a partial scholly to Mich or Duke, so I'm still hoping for a school in that relative level to offer that kind of deal.

If Penn throws me some cash (need or merit) I will run naked in the snow.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:45 pm

pereira6 wrote:
A rich family is something I absolutely do not have haha...as you know theres still more decisions to come in so we'll see. At the beginning of my cycle my optimal scenario was a partial scholly to Mich or Duke, so I'm still hoping for a school in that relative level to offer that kind of deal.

If Penn throws me some cash (need or merit) I will run naked in the snow.

I am hoping for a match of the V money + need aid. So we will see. I don't think you want to give up Penn for UT even with some money. Wait til offers come in. Penn has a large endowment, I heard of good stories. Hope they are true.

akili

Postby akili » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:08 pm

So I went down to the UT campus today and walked through the law school. It's not as awful as I thought it would be. Parts of it are actually quite pretty! There's a huge lounge with a big screen tv and a locker area. There are some really ugly low couches near the library and the entrance to the library itself is pretty ugly looking but the outside of the building is pretty nice.

Also there is a giant new Student Activities center that is gorgeous and about 5 minutes walk from the law school. It had a bunch of different restaurants (Starbucks, Chik-fil-a, Taco Cabana and Zen) and places to study. I only saw the first floor and I have no idea what's in the rest of the building but it was pretty cool.

Anyways, just thought I'd share with yall! Let me know if you have questions.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:01 pm

akili wrote:So I went down to the UT campus today and walked through the law school. It's not as awful as I thought it would be. Parts of it are actually quite pretty! There's a huge lounge with a big screen tv and a locker area. There are some really ugly low couches near the library and the entrance to the library itself is pretty ugly looking but the outside of the building is pretty nice.

Also there is a giant new Student Activities center that is gorgeous and about 5 minutes walk from the law school. It had a bunch of different restaurants (Starbucks, Chik-fil-a, Taco Cabana and Zen) and places to study. I only saw the first floor and I have no idea what's in the rest of the building but it was pretty cool.

The North End zone of the football stadium is also very new and much closer to the law school. It's got a Subway, Pizza Hut and a sushi place I believe. It's also not nearly as crowded.

I want to go to UT Law. Bad. Can't the admissions office understand that I belong in Austin? I already have my favorite restaurants and bars, my secret parking spaces, and my favorite video rental store. They can't just make me move somewhere and start all over.

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:53 pm

akili wrote:So I went down to the UT campus today and walked through the law school. It's not as awful as I thought it would be. Parts of it are actually quite pretty! There's a huge lounge with a big screen tv and a locker area. There are some really ugly low couches near the library and the entrance to the library itself is pretty ugly looking but the outside of the building is pretty nice.

Yeah, I figure if I were to get accepted and end up at UT Law, I'd spend as much time as possible studying etc. at the many great spots on campus that are not the law school. :)

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:53 pm

Longhorn88 wrote:

The North End zone of the football stadium is also very new and much closer to the law school. It's got a Subway, Pizza Hut and a sushi place I believe. It's also not nearly as crowded.

I want to go to UT Law. Bad. Can't the admissions office understand that I belong in Austin? I already have my favorite restaurants and bars, my secret parking spaces, and my favorite video rental store. They can't just make me move somewhere and start all over.

+1 on secret parking spots in Austin. :lol:

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:02 am

Longhorn88 wrote:
francisConn wrote:I want to go to UT Law. Bad. Can't the admissions office understand that I belong in Austin? I already have my favorite restaurants and bars, my secret parking spaces, and my favorite video rental store. They can't just make me move somewhere and start all over.

+1 on secret parking spots in Austin. :lol:

A friend's parents live like two blocks from the law school, right off of Eastwoods park, and they used always give me their street parking passes. Not having to fight/hunt for a spot was the shit.

+1 on everything longhorn88 said

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:53 am

The question now is how can I paraphrase that sentiment so the admissions people will understand it. I wish I had applied early but was uncertain if I wanted to take time off and didn't commit to this cycle until early December after my LOR writer (a former university pres) told me how if I really wanted to be a lawyer, I shouldn't wait and just go do it.

Has anyone ever tried baking the admissions staff cookies? Could it hurt? My gf has been waiting for an excuse to use this:

awahoya

Postby awahoya » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:56 am

francisConn wrote:
Yeah, I figure if I were to get accepted and end up at UT Law, I'd spend as much time as possible studying etc. at the many great spots on campus that are not the law school. :)

...or off campus- Mozart's, anyone?

syezzie

Postby syezzie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:10 am

Just checked my status checker. It now reads "Application was denied January 20, 2011". :(

Leira7905

Postby Leira7905 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:32 am

syezzie wrote:Just checked my status checker. It now reads "Application was denied January 20, 2011". :(

With your numbers??? Man, that's scary. I'm sorry, you should have been a shoe in.

....as I feverishly check my status checker....

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:45 am

There is no such thing at Texas when GPA is below a certain point (about 3.6 from what we've seen this year). See sophie's example a while ago despite an even higher LSAT (slightly lower GPA, but URM, I believe). 173/3.5 is in at Chicago according to profile. Would be happy to trade my UT acceptance for that Chicago acceptance :)

[EDIT: just realize it was a 173/3.6. Ok, that is ridic. YP. Sorry.]

francisConn

Postby francisConn » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:31 pm

In at GULC, NW, NYU, etc., out at UT? Dang, things are tightening up. Granted that's OOS, but still.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”